Thanks for the warm welcome.

Kelsey'sMom

Earning My Ears
I think I almost have dh convinced, he asked if we needed passports to go to the States or just our photo id's? I'm thinking about getting them to be on the safe side, but if they don't ask for them I might not bother. I need your advice. Also what should I book first: hotel reservations (ASMO) or airfare (thinking of flying Air Canada from Sydney, Cape Breton)? I really need all the help you all can offer, thanks in advance.
Kelsey's Mom

Two dif't opinions on this one, but i'm on the side of not getting passports, as i have gone to the States many times recently and have never been asked for a passport. i have just shown my birth certificate and driver's licence and that seems to work. however i know people are usually concerned about this, so it might be handy to get passports, especially if you think you might travel elsewhere w/in five years anyway.

sorry, dunno about the other stuff :) i just like to jump into threads with the little information i have!

If you know when you are going and if it's during a busy time, I would secure the reservation first. Then scope out the deals for Airfare. Not that AC has that many!LOL

Regarding passports, I am a firm believer in having one. It saves a lot of hassle and this way you only carry one piece of ID. The only downside is every member must now have their own. $$$$$

M2CW

Scratch
:smooth:

I have to agree with Scratch -- get the reservation first and then try to get the air fare although from NS I'm not sure what options you have for flying -- when I lived in Dartmouth we only had the option of flying Air Canada and I'm not sure if that's changed. I might just look at the airline schedule first before booking the reservation so that I'm not planning on arriving on a day that A/C doesn't fly to Orlando -- don't know if there's a flight everyday. We usually drive so I'm not up on the airfare search.

Passports -- We all have one. I got one for my son since he was travelling alone to Florida to visit his grandmother and I wanted him to have some photo ID. He was 15 at the time and didn't have his driver's license obviously. He's now 17 and still doesn't have his DL so I thought it was a good idea. Because I was getting one for him we each got one ourselves.

Another vote for getting passports. I know people do cross the border without them, but why take the chance of being hassled? It's piece of mind. :)

I know I'm late...:o , but, Welcome to the DIS, and specifically the Canadian Board, Kelsey'sMom! :)

Kim

I'm another one for a passport. I have found that it really is easier with a passport. Also, figure that if they did start to require one I already have it. I would book the room first and then the airfare. We are driving down next year ( I would prefer to fly and rent but my dh wants to drive) so I don't have to worry about a flight.
tigercat

Hi KelseysMom - welcome! My family just returned from Cape Breton and Halifax yesterday! MY DH is from New Waterford so we usually make the annual trip. We find the airfare from TO to Sydney typically horrendous...flying within Canada seems so expensive compared to what you can get out of the US. We're going to drive from Toronto to Buffalo this year and go Southwest airlines to Orlando. We saved over $1,000 by flying from Buffalo vs Toronto to Orlando. I know this is a lot of driving, but have you looked at airfares from Maine? Or will there be charters flying from Halifax when you're going...JetsGo, Westjet, AirTransat? I'm getting passports for both my kids for our Nov trip. Just saves the hassle. Jo

Thanks for all the advice, so I guess now I figure out how to go about getting passports! I live about 6 hours from Halifax and 3 hours from Sydney, so I think we kind of decided that if we go we would rather spend the extra money and fly from Sydney unless there is an awesome $ difference to fly from Halifax:confused:
Kelsey's Mom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter