Thanks, I Hate It - Disney by non-Disney Fans (DUN)

Just in general, the cost wasn't worth it. My parents could have saved a ton of money by checking everyone into a local hotel with a pool, and we would have been much happier.

I actually feel really sorry for everyone (well, except Tammy) in this scenario. It sounds like there were super high, unrealistic expectations from the beginning, and no one really had a very good time.

I hope your UO "do-over" happens and is a lot more fun and relaxing for you. If you have any flexibility with your daughter's school, I would definitely recommend going at a non peak time. We just went last week and were stuck on the timing, but we will never do Spring Break again. Once was enough. We previously piggybacked off 3-4 day weekends where our kids' schools were closed due to conferences or teacher's workshops, and that worked out much better. I personally don't need a whole week in Orlando.

I think you guys definitely deserve a do over, alone with just the 3 of you. Even if it’s just universal. But I would give disney a try. Even if it’s just one park day.

Hee, several years ago my family was in line to meet Rapunzel at MK and another family was right behind us- two middle aged parents and their school aged children. Dad pulls a camera out when it's their turn, and I think he is either going to take a picture of his wife and kids with Rapunzel or maybe draft another guest to take the picture so it includes of all of them. Nope, Dad hands the camera to his wife and has a picture taken of just him and Rapunzel. Niiice.
I'm not one to kink shame.

I've been reading this trip report since it started. This sounds like no one, including the OP (sorry just the way it sounds), had an idea of what they wanted to do, how to do it and any communication on what the trip wanted to be like.

I'm sure it's easy to blame Tammy (which she shares the fault) and to blame the in-laws (which they share the fault) but I kept reading and reading and I couldn't see where the OP and their family even did much to improve their trip/inform themselves about it either. How do you not know that the Universal tickets were dated the day prior?

What I will say is the OP did not seem bitter about the failed trip (more like done with all the hoopla that is Disney but not bitter about the actual outcome of the trip_ like many others do and that is refreshing. Traveling with extended family is generally considered a no no although it can work. In this case I actually do feel bad for the sister-in-law because she's getting so much blame and while it's def. deserved not all of it is. I can't imagine letting someone control so much of the park planning to the point where I'm unaware of so many things. I'm not advocating to be a super planner or to be contrarian to the main planner of the group but take control of some things will ya :p If you want to be included in on what rides your sister-in-law selects for Genie+ (or Individual Lightning Lane) talk with her about it.

This sounds like communication is a problem in this extended family and the separate groups probably don't vacation the same way. However I did seem to notice the mom and the brother and his family overall seemed to be more like-minded.

Also these kids were all just too young IMO to go on a trip like this although 7 isn't really too young but perhaps the age difference with the others made for a way different trip than it could have been. I bet y'all would have had a better trip, even with the extended family, had the kids been left at home or y'all had stretched the trip out to be like 8-10 days so you could have pool days at the house and you and your wife could go to the parks alone or the sister-in-law and her kids could go to the parks alone. I don't think you needed to have stayed on site but just be closer and have a better plan (and communicate).

I've enjoyed the humor though of this trip report. I must say my husband is an engineer (degreed with aerospace but working as a mechanical) and he loves our trips (both to WDW and USO as well as our 2 trips we took to DLR) but then again we communicate what we want our trips to be. When his mom and step-dad were going to come with us in 2017 we set up the expectation early on we won't be waiting for you, we'll let you do your thing, we'll do our thing, we'll do plenty of things together but we're not going to wait at the hotel til you finally get going we'll meet you at the parks. They dropped out though due to stamina issues. We also would not have stayed so far away in a rented house when our only reason for being in Orlando is to do theme parks. I don't even know where this house was but was it in no man's land? 1 1/2 hours to get to Universal? When my husband lived temporarily in Long Beach, CA he was 20 miles away from DLR and it didn't take even close to that long and we're talking CA traffic :laughing:

Universal def. is a very different vibe than Disney. We love both places but no doubt Universal allows us to feel a different sort of ease and lack of big stress.

I don't usually read trip reports, but this one has been a gem, thanks for the entertainment.

We rented a house in the mountains with a bunch of friends once and nope, never again. We learned so much and I can count on one hand the people we are willing to travel with now. My husband still flinches, years later, when he sees a kid take one sip out of a water bottle and abandon it on the counter.

I just helped some friends sort out some kinks on a messy, huge, family, once in a lifetime, all the grandkids, great granny in a scooter, twice delayed, could've bought a car for this price instead, trip. I felt so bad for them. Most of my efforts went into managing expectations and FOMO. When you spend that kind of cash you want to do it ALL. They had a good time, I think, but like you won't go all together again.

I've been reading this trip report since it started. This sounds like no one, including the OP (sorry just the way it sounds), had an idea of what they wanted to do, how to do it and any communication on what the trip wanted to be like.

This sounds like communication is a problem in this extended family and the separate groups probably don't vacation the same way. However I did seem to notice the mom and the brother and his family overall seemed to be more like-minded.
These are both fair criticisms. On my previous two trips I think the planning started and ended with, "Let's go to Disney and we'll figure out the rest when we get there." Maybe we were lucky that it worked out for us and we had fantastic vacations. I also think that the WDW of 2022, where everything from park days to ride queues to quick service is tied to some form of a reservation system, no longer accommodates that mindset.

I've known my SIL for almost twenty years, and this is the first time that I've ever travelled with her. I knew from the beginning that she would be intense, but I also believe that WDW fed into her worst tendencies in a way that nobody in our group knew how to manage. In many respects this travel log was my coping mechanism.

Every good story needs a villain. There were third parties to my trip that naturally fit the bill, for better or worse.

Last edited:

Great response… I don’t think you were looking for personal advice.
And anybody that thinks they can do it better Good luck in todays D-World.
I was just there yesterday, with visiting relatives , and I live here and I totally understand .

Edited to add just my personal thoughts for my personal experience :
Disney is in process of re-training me and my expectations.
Not to be taken so seriously. Obviously

Last edited:
Great response… I don’t think you were looking for personal advice.
And anybody that thinks they can do it better Good luck in todays D-World.
I was just there yesterday, with visiting relatives , and I live here and I totally understand .
If you saw me with my 2 grandkids and they brought along a book to read at Hollywood Studios … that was me trying to figure out that scenario. R they bored am I boring (never ) …?
I finally let them ditch me !
They managed to find me when nobody at Disney would accept their ApplePay Cards.
This thread is chalk full of advice, main one don't go with extended families and to do a do-over trip. Pretty much every response to the OP's posts have been advice. Trip reports naturally get that. You share your experience and people respond with things that may have helped or could help for the future. I don't think I've read a trip report that hasn't had advice sprinkled throughout. With a title like the OP and the experiences the OP has shared naturally it lends to more advice being given.

No one even mentioned they think they can do Disney better. You're reading into something that isn't there. For places like Universal and Disney they do best with extended families when everyone has vacationed together to know how they do it and usually the more successful trips are when there's built in alone time so everyone kinda gets to do their own thing and then come together for other things. It's also precisely why you have seen many comments from posters on why they won't travel with their families...because they know the vacationing style won't work :)

I've known my SIL for almost twenty years, and this is the first time that I've ever travelled with her.
Bless you for even attempting this foray of a trip :worship:
I knew from the beginning that she would be intense, but I also believe that WDW fed into her worst tendencies in a way that nobody in our group knew how to manage.
Honestly she probably the weight of the world was on her shoulders to make this trip the best most amazing trip for all involved. You're likely right with the way WDW can be that pressure was amplified much more. It's why I have sympathy for her, absolutely she was bringing the trip down (she's got fault there for sure) but I think it's likely she was way too overwhelmed and didn't know how to let y'all know that. Maybe in another 20 years a trip would be way different ;):lmao:

Small point of clarification;

My mother drove to Florida, and subsequently drove back home with the car seats in tow. Nobody had to check them for a flight. My SIL is still the worst, just *slightly* less so in this case.

I've updated the original post to make this more clear.
But what are her kids going to sit in from the airport home? Won't they need the seats?

I retired about an hour outside Orlando and have had two night trips to both Universal and Disney and agree that Universal is so much easier to plan that it’s just more enjoyable. Which is weird, considering I grew up a Disney fan.

Man... I wonder if I'm the villian in our extended family trips :rotfl2: It's usually me, DH and our 2 boys who are 8+10 and SIL, her husband and their 2 boys 8+13. I am the planner and admittedly I do get stressed sometimes trying to make it perfect for everyone, but I'd like to think I'm not this bad.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like the SIL is trying really hard. She seemed to really want this trip to go well for your child, including her in buying Genie +, driving her with them, looking after her. Sounds like just different styles of vacationing but she really tried. It is hard to plan for that many people.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like the SIL is trying really hard. She seemed to really want this trip to go well for your child, including her in buying Genie +, driving her with them, looking after her. Sounds like just different styles of vacationing but she really tried. It is hard to plan for that many people.
I am sympathetic to the SIL in that regard, but it sounds like she was pretty nasty to the OP on at least one occasion. I mean, sure, be disappointed that your BIL drank your last Bud Light Lime that you were planning on having, but you don't have to actually scream at him, especially in front of both your families.

The car seats in Florida belong to my parents, since they see that side of the family so often. My brother's family left their own personal car seats with the car at the airport back home.
So, on your Universal day, you had to cut the day short so your mom could give them all a ride to the airport?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter