The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

As I appreciate yours!

:goodvibes

I hope this works out well for you.

Thanks! Only one way to find out. Make the decision and figure out the best way to use whatever we go with. For now, it's no DDP.

I know I am late but I would pass too and I say this as someone who uses the dining plan (we only go during free dining). We use it because for my dh it is important for him to know it is paid for in advance. It makes for a much more relaxing trip for us and he will only go when he has the dining plan. So if that is what I have to do to go to Disney that is what I do. Though we do work the plan and have always come out ahead of what the plan would have cost. I would love to go on a trip without the plan and not be tied to adr's but as I said I do what I must to go to Disney.

I had very carefully laid out a plan, and now without the DDP, I will nix O'hana. Just doesn't make sense without it. Fewer signatures, maybe even few TS's.

And yes, we do what we must to make for a nicer trip for others. :) And I've never had a bad trip doing so.

Hoping that you are able to cope with RL right now Liesa - I get the impression of both sadness and possible exhaustion. So to cheer you up a bit, I will share something beautiful with you:

Very, very beautiful- just so sweet! Thank you for sharing such a wonderful event in your life right now!

We are hoping to feel semi human again sometime next month, but everything went exceptionally well and we were so happy and proud (and hot!)

So happy to hear it all went well and was all you hoped for, Donna! That makes me very happy indeed!

Good to see you here!! I hope hanging out with the DIS pals helps you get some relaxation from the stress!! I know you had this down as an art form when you had to escape Crapistan for mental breaks. ;-)

I did at that and will be here for just what you say: mental breaks from the stress. :hug:

I'm sorry you're going through stuff. I hope it resolves itself soon. Looks like you had a good time at the party! I still owe you some money, can I send it to you email address via PayPal?

Thank you for sharing your MVMCP pictures even when things are tough. I enjoyed the festive photos and they actually made me wish I were attending a party. They reminded me of all the things that made the special event so unique.

You are very welcome! :) I still prefer the MNSHHP over the Christmas one, yet did have a nice time. As you say, there is a lot to enjoy!

I'm sorry to hear life has been difficult lately. The wonderful thing about the DIS is most of us here understand that real life can knock you down, and we're here for whatever you may need. Whether it be to escape through a Disney trip, a step away from everything Disney-related, or a place to simply say, "life is hard" we're here to offer a supportive ear or a funny meme or a simple well wish that times will turn around soon. :hug:

Again, thank you Alicia. Life is hard sometimes and it's good to know that others are here to share a lighter moment with along the way.

Well, by his own admission, he lost his man card years ago. :rotfl2:
In all seriousness, he seems (or he's got us all fooled) the perfect gentleman.

::yes::

Wait! What? You cold? Nah! Can't be.

I like: to be warm, coffee, and cold drinks under a shady umbrella by a pool.

It was, but if you've ever done one, you know also exhausting. I get up between 4:30 and 5, and VBS didn't get over until 9/9:15. Made for some very long days. A little bit more so for me in that I did double duty. I run the sound board, slides and/or lights most week at church and I was doing that as well as having a group/class, so it kept me hopping. Definitely not bored.

I've done many. Many! But you pulled long days for sure!

According to you. On this we will never agree, but it's fun to poke the hornet's nest every once in a while. ;)
All in good fun. :hug:

Poke, poke.

What's the DIS without a little good-natured ribbing?

Well, you, and Smoky Bear. Did someone already point that out? Sorry, if so, I'm trying to figure out where I left off.

No, they didn't; you, Glenn, would be the first. ;)

As far as where we are... you and me both.

:hug:
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time. Sending good thoughts your way.

And that's okay. You can share as little or as much as you want. Feel free to PM me if you wish, too.

Thank you! It's good to know I have friends who care here. :)

I try to be kind, always, regardless.
Don't always succeed... but I do try.

As do I and sometimes, like all of us, I imagine, fail.

:hug: I hope that whatever it is that is bringing you down resolves soon and you have your "funny" once more.

Thank you, PK. I really do too.

I have such mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I was like "Cool! Snow!" and on the other.... "Gross! Snow!"
The only thing that kept me from running, screaming was the fact that it wasn't real snow. That would've put me over the edge for sure.

Hmm, I can certainly understand why. But for me, where both snow and thunderstorms very rarely happen both are a real treat.

Nice framing. :)

Thanks!

And yet.... I'd kill to go to another MNSSHP, but don't feel a great need to do another MVMCP.

Me too!! By FAR my fave!

That was pretty, wasn't it?

It took me quite by surprise! I wasn't expecting it and all of a sudden... BOOM! fireworks and wham! Lights. I was impressed.

Glad you made it. I did too and really enjoyed the overlay.

I thought the script was even funnier. The puns never get old.

That's kinda what I did too. I didn't want to rush, didn't feel a need to go on tons of rides. Was nice.
And yet, if one wanted to, they were there for the taking with short lines. :)

Anna doesn't look overly thrilled to be there.

I noticed her glaring RBF. LOLOLOLOL!

Not bad. Incredibly busy, but... not bad. Hope you will be well and happy soon, too.

Thank you once more. I hope your busy-ness eases up and you can get some rest!

Probably will. Not really much of a drinker.

This I knew. But you did have a Ceasar if I remember correctly.

Yeah, well... not with these ones. You'll see... or not.

Yes, but might take a while given your crazy work schedule!

Almost exactly 3 months, now. :)

To be brutally honest, I haven't even looked at my ticker in a very long time. I guess today is just one day under! Pretty exciting!!

That's true! Every time I've seen you at DLR, you buy clothes to keep you warm. ;)

So why stop now?!

Not to worry. We don't need any kind of explanation. Just hoping that your pain is eased and things are better for you soon.

Thanks, Meghan, time is going to tell...

Understood. Thank you for still thinking of us, and delivering some cheerful words and photos, especially at a time when it's so difficult for you. I hope that this report can be a joy for you, and not a burden, at a time that seems to be trying for you.

At the very least it's a place to come and put RL cares and worries away for a time.

As someone very familiar with white Christmases, this always seems a little strange for me. But not complaining!

And for me... as one who hardly EVER gets one, I LOVED it! LOL!

Love this shot!

And this one :)

I love these, too! :lovestruc

Thanks!! I really had fun to roaming around and taking photos. And will again in a few months at the Halloween bash!

No rush. Do as much or as little as you feel up to, or just skip replies if ever needed. We know you're there, and reading everything, and that you care.

I will keep plodding along. I was hoping to tackle some threads tonight but may not do much more than read and say hello. At this point there is just no way to read all the chatter and comment a lot. I'm hoping folks understand.

I'm sorry you're going through stuff. I hope it resolves itself soon. Looks like you had a good time at the party! I still owe you some money, can I send it to you email address via PayPal?
Thanks, Alison. :)

I"m not sure how PP works?? I can look into it? I know I have a PP acct and can send along that information.

Beauty Amongst the Rubble

After a warm bucket bath and a good night’s rest on a bed of my own, my voice was returning, my throat was no longer on fire, and I was feeling a bit better. The hard work of the trip was over having helped with a seminar for disabled young adults, attended a fundraising dinner, and some grueling travel and teaching in the rural interior. Now it was time for a little R&R and some much needed down time.

The following sight-seeing trips happened over 2 days, and while we were not driving to or from, we spent a lot of time just relaxing around the house and slowly packing our things or deciding what might be left behind.

One of the places I’d wanted to see was the site of the horrific landslide that, according to Wiki, killed 1,141 and displaced more than 3,000. We set out and choked on the fumes of traffic gridlock taking more than an hour to get there. As usual. I felt my brain cells screaming for mercy – the few I have left anyway. Bouncing along, the scarred face of Sugarloaf Mountain came into view. I’m afraid the photos I got simply could NOT do justice to the enormity of the disaster. Here is the Wiki article to read (it’s short) to give some history and refresh your memory. Perhaps you didn’t even hear about it last year??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Sierra_Leone_mudslides

The NGO that we were there with was the ONLY non-profit that was let into Ground Zero and allowed to give first response and immediate aid. When the catastrophe happened on August 14, 2017, Rebekah and I were already committed to going, so were being sent photos of the disaster as it unfolded. Makeshift mass graves were being dug, there were photos of hysterical women searching for loved ones, children wandering aimlessly on mud-filled, flooded “streets”… They sent stories of entire families, some as large at 10 or 12 being buried together; one man was alive, but succumbed while attempting to call for help on his cell phone from under the rubble.

Within hours, foreign and domestic aid (mostly British or American) was put into place and it was hoped that the inevitable, yet preventable, scourge of cholera was kept in check. Aid tents like this were erected and were still there when we visited months after the hillside gave way due to 3 times the normal amount of rainfall for the season in 3 days.

Africa (any country in Africa) rarely gets MSM news coverage in the States, but this was one story that did grab the attention of BBC, NPR, and others, so it had been on my radar. The magnitude was far beyond anything in recent history like it, except maybe the Ebola crisis that hit the SAME country a few short years earlier.

It is hard to tell from the photos, but entire LARGE homes are buried under the red earth, and the debris and flooding went for MILES all the way to the ocean as far you can see in these photos. Entire neighborhoods were affected along its miles long path of destruction.

As with all tragedies, beauty rises above the “ashes” and nature continues to take its course. The Redbilled Firefinch still flits around calling out its God-given song throughout the day as if all was right in the world.

Reflective, we left the still guarded neighborhood (the army soldiers let us in to see it firsthand) and we made our way back home thankful.

That afternoon, I found myself outside on the back patio wondering what might be for dinner. I had mentioned that I like okra and Liz said she’d make it a point to cook some. The girls were busy cutting up veggies and I asked how I could help. The standard method of cooking is on a propane burner or on a coal fire in an aluminum pot. I was given the task of stirring the ingredients of our okra and fish stew that would be served over rice not long afterwards.

While I was busy having my West African culinary lesson, Rebekah was busy holding this precious little bundle of sweetness.

The next day, we took a short trip to the more touristy of the beaches that Freetown has to offer. It is a pay-per-use beach and is kept MUCH cleaner than other public places around the country. There are tables and chairs for an additional cost, as well as play equipment such as surf boards (the surf was non-existent, but whatever), hookah for those who want a puff, food and drinks (the lobsters were GIGANTIC!!!), and little boats for hire. I bought a few souvenirs from this gregarious gentleman.

I will let the photos do the talking.

On the way there:

On the way there and back we passed through one of the saddest scenes we’d encountered- a sizable rock and gravel quarry. Here, in the shadows of an automated facility, were children as young as 7? 8? Hammering rocks making gravel. All day. 12 hours a day. Under the blistering hot sun. Women with babies, ghastly thin men, and children all sitting on piles of rocks with sacks beside them. I do not know if the factory was operational, defunct, not yet working…. But the human suffering that must be going on in that district… I simply cannot imagine. Perhaps it is similar to the diamond mines and palm oil fields to the east in Liberia and parts of Sierra Leone where children are bought and sold for slave labor. 19th century Britain and America had nothing on modern day slavery.

The factory:

That ends the 2 days after we got back from the Villages. The storm clouds had built and made for a pretty evening sky, but no thunder made its way over us. One day left and it was a very, very full one. Full of frustration and one last adventure that I’ll soon not forget…..

After a warm bucket bath and a good night’s rest on a bed of my own, my voice was returning, my throat was no longer on fire, and I was feeling a bit better.

Good to hear! :)

Now it was time for a little R&R and some much needed down time.

Finally! You guys have been working hard. You deserve a reward.

the horrific landslide that, according to Wiki, killed 1,141 and displaced more than 3,000.

Holy crap. :(

I felt my brain cells screaming for mercy – the few I have left anyway.

:rolleyes2

Perhaps you didn’t even hear about it last year??

I did.

They sent stories of entire families, some as large at 10 or 12 being buried together; one man was alive, but succumbed while attempting to call for help on his cell phone from under the rubble.

Oh, man... That's..... horrible.

MSM news coverage in the States,

Does that mean Main Stream Media?

The magnitude was far beyond anything in recent history like it, except maybe the Ebola crisis that hit the SAME country a few short years earlier.

Hard to recover from two gut punches like that. Whoa.

the debris and flooding went for MILES

:eek: I had no idea it was that big!

IMG_6572-L.jpg

This photo really brings it into perspective. The first photo, I was "Doesn't look too bad." But then this photo and the houses in the distance really snap it into perspective.

Huge.

Nice shot. :)

Awww....

It is a pay-per-use beach and is kept MUCH cleaner than other public places around the country.

I'm glad they take the money and use it (or at least some of it) for maintenance. Nice that it isn't all graft.

(the lobsters were GIGANTIC!!!)

Cool! Wish you'd taken a photo. :)

I bought a few souvenirs from this gregarious gentleman.

Good! You should have something to bring home as a remembrance of this adventure.

Nice beach. It does look clean.

Are these shots from the same beach? They look like they're from a river, elsewhere.

Love this shot.

On the way there and back we passed through one of the saddest scenes we’d encountered- a sizable rock and gravel quarry. Here, in the shadows of an automated facility, were children as young as 7? 8? Hammering rocks making gravel. All day. 12 hours a day. Under the blistering hot sun. Women with babies, ghastly thin men, and children all sitting on piles of rocks with sacks beside them. I do not know if the factory was operational, defunct, not yet working…. But the human suffering that must be going on in that district… I simply cannot imagine.

:sad2: And yet... I suspect that income opportunities are scarce... and starving isn't.

Perhaps it is similar to the diamond mines and palm oil fields to the east in Liberia and parts of Sierra Leone where children are bought and sold for slave labor. 19th century Britain and America had nothing on modern day slavery.

Slavery is not a recent development. Maybe someday we'll eradicate it... but that day is not today.

One day left and it was a very, very full one. Full of frustration and one last adventure that I’ll soon not forget…..

Ooohhh... cliff hanger. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Liesa,

I don't have time to comment on the latest updates since I'm getting ready to leave tomorrow and currently running around trying to clear my desk so I can go.

But I wanted to say I'm praying for you, and hoping things work out. Today is a new day.

Does that mean Main Stream Media?

Yep.

Hard to recover from two gut punches like that. Whoa.

Not to mention the Civil War:

* The death toll from the war is estimated at 50,000 in a country that has a population of around 6 million people. Sierra Leone ranked second from bottom in the 2006 U.N. Human Development Index.

This photo really brings it into perspective. The first photo, I was "Doesn't look too bad." But then this photo and the houses in the distance really snap it into perspective.

Huge.

It was quite... eerie to stand so close to a place where it is known that people were buried alive.

I'm glad they take the money and use it (or at least some of it) for maintenance. Nice that it isn't all graft.

It was a refreshing scene for that reason too.

Cool! Wish you'd taken a photo. :)

yeah, I thought about it, but thought it'd be weird taking photos of someone's meal.

Good! You should have something to bring home as a remembrance of this adventure.

Coming up in the next update you'll see the other goodies I bought. :)

Are these shots from the same beach? They look like they're from a river, elsewhere.

Good observation! Yes, there was a small river that ran into the beach here. That is where the photos of the boats were taken. ;)

Slavery is not a recent development. Maybe someday we'll eradicate it... but that day is not today.

I'm afraid not. But we can always try.

Ooohhh... cliff hanger. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Hopefully soon! :)

Liesa,

I don't have time to comment on the latest updates since I'm getting ready to leave tomorrow and currently running around trying to clear my desk so I can go.

But I wanted to say I'm praying for you, and hoping things work out. Today is a new day.

That means a lot to me, Mark. Thank you for praying.... and hoping.

Yes, I remember hearing about this leading up to our wedding last year. How devastating! And I hadn't thought about it at the time, but it just shows what a huge disaster this was that it even made it to our mainstream media outlets over here at all.

Beautiful shot!

Rebekah was busy holding this precious little bundle of sweetness.

Oh my goodness. What a precious little one!

What beautiful photos you took! It looks like paradise. Such drastically different scenes from the same country over a period of a couple of days.

Here, in the shadows of an automated facility, were children as young as 7? 8? Hammering rocks making gravel. All day. 12 hours a day. Under the blistering hot sun. Women with babies, ghastly thin men, and children all sitting on piles of rocks with sacks beside them.

This is heartbreaking. We don't even think about how privileged we are...

Yes, I remember hearing about this leading up to our wedding last year. How devastating! And I hadn't thought about it at the time, but it just shows what a huge disaster this was that it even made it to our mainstream media outlets over here at all.

It was surreal to see it firsthand.

Beautiful shot!

Thanks, a lucky shot!

Oh my goodness. What a precious little one!

:goodvibes

What beautiful photos you took! It looks like paradise. Such drastically different scenes from the same country over a period of a couple of days.

Thank you, and yes, a few days prior to this, I hadn't imagined there'd be places like that.

This is heartbreaking. We don't even think about how privileged we are...

You are so right... we often don't.

Not to mention the Civil War:

* The death toll from the war is estimated at 50,000 in a country that has a population of around 6 million people. Sierra Leone ranked second from bottom in the 2006 U.N. Human Development Index.

This is a list you don't want to "win" at. :sad2:

It was quite... eerie to stand so close to a place where it is known that people were buried alive.

:eek: I hadn't even thought of that aspect. Good Lord.

yeah, I thought about it, but thought it'd be weird taking photos of someone's meal.

Good point.

Coming up in the next update you'll see the other goodies I bought. :)

Good! :)

Good observation! Yes, there was a small river that ran into the beach here. That is where the photos of the boats were taken. ;)

Yay me! I is observant!
(And I probably missed a million other things... :rolleyes:)

I'm afraid not. But we can always try.

Yes!

It is hard to tell from the photos, but entire LARGE homes are buried under the red earth, and the debris and flooding went for MILES all the way to the ocean as far you can see in these photos. Entire neighborhoods were affected along its miles long path of destruction.

I did remember reading about this. So sad they got hit with Ebola and natural disasters in such a short time. It seems like there is one obstacle after another. Hope it helps them rebuild stronger than they were before.

Wow pictures are stunning. It's hard to picture that within all that devastation that there are some beautiful sites. It looks like it could be some tropical island in the pacific!

This is a list you don't want to "win" at. :sad2:

Correct.

:eek: I hadn't even thought of that aspect. Good Lord.

It kinda felt like "hallowed ground" in some respects.

Yay me! I is observant!
(And I probably missed a million other things... :rolleyes:)

Nah, you done good.

I did remember reading about this. So sad they got hit with Ebola and natural disasters in such a short time. It seems like there is one obstacle after another. Hope it helps them rebuild stronger than they were before.

I think with the rampant corruption and mindsets of inefficiency, that's unlikely.

Wow pictures are stunning. It's hard to picture that within all that devastation that there are some beautiful sites. It looks like it could be some tropical island in the pacific!

That country has a HUGE potential for eco-tourism if only they'd invest (heavily) on infrastructure and a system to people there and provide them safety and comfort.

No Yo, HO!

The next day found some extra time to kill before I had to make my way back to Oregon. Naturally, I found myself heading to the parks for one last hurrah. No agenda, no rushing, just some time to make some memories and enjoy life in the moment.

I will almost invariably turn left off of Main Street; while Tomorrowland has some appeal, it just doesn’t hold the same draw for me as Adventureland, Frontierland, or New Orleans Square. With a coffee securely in hand, I sauntered my way over to all things Dixie and found a fuzzy little family all huddled together in a popcorn coma while visions of churros danced in their heads. “Don’t worry, kids, your dad is out looking for a new place in Splash Mountain Acres.”

I really love the detailing of NOS! Here’s something I’d never noticed before:

Did you see it? Look again....

The 3-D metalwork of this décor mirrors the motif of the painted signage. Well done, Disney, well done!

The siren calls of a Mint Julep pulled me into the seating area where I’d hoped against all hope that the jazz band (the Royal Street Bachelors) would show up and strike up a tune. They didn’t and I drowned my sadness in white powder laced, deep fried dough balls and minted elixir then moved along, following the sounds of yet another musical act around the corner.

The Bootstrappers rove around Tom Sawyer Island and NOS singing out lively renditions of mostly Irish folk songs and sea chanties “pirated up” to fit the theming of the area. The jokes abound and they deliver plenty of laughs to those who stop long enough to enjoy their antics. With catchy lyrics it’s easy to start singing along, which they encourage. So I did. And I had fun.

(Here's a photo from last year. Usually, there is an accordian in the group.)

The crowd was really getting into their final number which everyone knows and loves. Yo Ho, Yo Ho…. It’s catchy… admit it, you sing along too… all 9 words you know. You also mumble the rest of it like all of us do too.

Things were clipping along swimmingly, and I was belting it out right along with the band, when all of a sudden…

The band stops singing and playing, the lead points RIGHT AT ME, and says, “How does it go? YOU!”

I was frozen. Completely dumbfounded, I 100% choked. Almost quite literally.

All that found it’s way out was an unintelligible, ridiculous sounding,

“Nooooo---ooooo—oooooo---- oh my gosh---------oooo!” sung in varying degrees of howling, minor-keyed notes of half hysteria, half panic.

I had my chance at stardom, a 10-second solo career in the Happiest Place on Earth and I turned the opportunity into one of total embarrassment. Yes, the 20 or so folks standing around roared at my expense. And I about died of laughter myself. My face felt like a sun-ripened tomato in a July Garden, but I walked away with one of the most hilarious memories I’d ever had in any of the parks. Someday, I’ll have my chance at a do-over.

I wandered around going on rides here and there, but mostly just kept finding things to take photos of. I had a strong hankering for some pommes frites, but the Café Orleans has become THE hot spot for noshing and no walk ups were available for a table at any point during the day. They would not even give a wait time. Ah well… another day.

I hadn't done the Treehouse in a while, so I climbed the stairs and was taken by surprise by this tiger. I was pleased someone snapped this photo of me just in time so I could show you exactly what I looked like at that terrifying second I was asked to sing Yo Ho, Yo Ho all by myself.

(Me wearing a priceless expression and and even pricier DLR hoodie. Don't drink and shop, Kids!)

I found my way back to the castle and snapped a few photos before it was time to make my way to LAX:

(Cindy should really keep a better eye on her house staff.)

...but not before taking care of the previously imbibed coffee libations. Coffee in, coffee out. But what was this tomfoolery?! I mean… who the hell does that?!

Disgusted with this example of the human race, I myself raced off and made my flight with a heavy heart.

To ease the pain of having to leave all of the wonderfulness that the trip was, I was given one last piece of pixie dust. I had one Southwest drink coupon which I used on a Bloody Mary, and when I half-jokingly whined to the flight attendant that I didn’t have any more coupons, he took pity on me and gifted me with another drink and 2 more coupons for a future flight.

Which I think I just may use on my next trip in a few months. Cheers, All. That concludes the detour to DLR, and we'll now return to your regularly scheduled drivel of the WDW trip.

Last edited:
Dear Liesa, I fell a few posts behind but I’ve managed to catch up.
I just wanted to say that you’re in my thoughts and whatever dark clouds are hanging over you now, I truly hope that it will be resolved soon. Remember, there’s a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter