The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

QULTFBH.gif

k4xlzN8.gif

OH, ok. I suppose. ;) :laughing:

Welcome back! Sounds like we need to hear these stories, pretty please!

Your wish will be granted! :wizard: The first chapter is written, but am a bit slower with photos. Soon though, k?

Pretty pretty please with a cherry or strawberry or whatever you like on top!

Mmm! Cherries!!! Okay, then, with cherries AND strawberries, I will continue with creating a few laughs just for you.

You're back!
party:

I love your photo. If you insist "Pretty please with a cherry on top!" I could do with some outrageous in my life right now - have just been revising gene expression with Hannah and need a break from all this transcription and translation!

Yep, back with a boatload of amazing memories. Just an all-around, wonderful trip. :goodvibes

Well, LOL! If you know me at all, I was going to give you at least a short TR with the highlights. ;) I can't help myself!

OH Lordy... genetics. My most-reviled subject matter. I hated that section in all of my bio and A&P classes. Yuck. Okay, just for you, some extra silliness....

Glad to hear you had an incredible trip
View attachment 317569

It was so good in so many ways. Some really fun things and I think you'll giggle at me at least once in the telling. Oy.

Pretty please!! :-)

Kim

Done! Well, okay, not done, done. But close! Hopefully in the next day or so!

so it doesn't take you too long to suffer wade through,

Yay!

Uh.... I mean... glad for the update!

:rolleyes1

(Seriously. I am glad for the update. :))

this update brings us up to just after lunch... Enjoy!!

You're serving us lunch while we read? Nice!

Here is a map of the locations we traveled to this day so you can get oriented: (We went from Mayola, to Masiaka, to Port Loko and back. The river we crossed is right where the distance cloud is.)

Thanks for that. Now I can put it into perspective.

the Provincial capitol city of Port Loko.

Huh...
Sierra Leone is about half the size of Maine.... but has Provinces.

Huh. (again)

All my dreams of seeing mud huts with thatched roofs were now a reality with mile after mile of tiny villages dotting the grassy landscape.

:) Glad you got some touristing in with your work.

I was also pretty excited to come across the 8-foot high termite hill. Yes, even those are a real thing!!!

IMG_6280-L.jpg

Kinda gives me the heebie jeebies. Wouldn't want to step on or kick one accidentally.
Maybe nothing would happen.... I don't wanna find out.

What I did not enjoy was the total lack of safety of both the driver and the highway infrastructure.

One is bad enough... put them both together and.......

You’d think after years of living with terrible roads and worse drivers, I’d be “used to it”, but that is not the case.

No. I find that as we get older, we get less used to it.

I think one never really becomes accustomed to the possibility of dying in a foreign country.

You'd think you would!
"Yay! I almost died in a foreign country! Just like old times!!"

our driver backed into one of her fences and tore off the driver’s side fender

Inspiring confidence (and leaving parts) wherever he goes.

my confidence wavered even more.

You don't say! :sad2:

Don’t worry, fences can be easily mended.

Sure! They're built out of spare fender parts that are lying all over the place.

Pretty.

fake cheese for breakfast.

That stuff is everywhere. Spreads like.... Ebola.
But more lethal.

I wasn’t all that hungry anyway as hoping you will stay alive takes a fair amount of one’s appetite away.

:sad2:

Well, I'm glad you made it back home in one piece.

the driver thought he could fit. The wheels slipped off the edge and the folks standing in the back fell out as the truck tumbled over the side.

:eek: No guardrails!

Gorgeous!

Being that it is a single lane crossing, we had to wait for our direction’s turn.

Been there. When I was a kid my parents used to take me to a family friend's cottage. We had to cross a river on a single lane bridge. Had to wait a few times.

Eventually, we made it to our destination of the Provincial Ministry of Health Offices where we would be meeting with the Minister of Health. Little more than a dog and pony show in order for him to flex his official muscles, we presented our intentions and asked for his “blessing” to give our seminars on health education. It took an hour to: 1) be "pre-screened by a Jr. Officer, 2) find him and, 3) wait for his official invitation into his office. After the requisite questions and “just enough” display of skepticism and reluctance on his part in order to show who really had the final authority, he gave us his permission to proceed and told us he’d be sending his representative to "oversee our work". We kissed the ring and moved on. (Because, when else would $75,000 worth of goods ever come to his province unless there’s an active Ebola outbreak?) I will leave the ponderings about how anything happens at all in this sort of system to yourselves.

"Oh, the minister can't see us now? Of course. We understand. We were going to leave one of these new Toyotas with him as a gift, but we'll go to the next village and do it there. Bye!"

Speaking of which, let’s talk about Ebola for a bit, shall we?

Must we? :scared:

I honestly don’t know if you knew I was headed for the literal "Ebola-Central" on this trip. Ground Zero.

I did not know that! Holy crap, Liesa!!

If you've ever read "The Hot Zone", you know what I'm talking about.

No, sorry. Haven't.

To give a little perspective… first of all, the fatality rates for EVD are about 50% on average and, depending on where you are and the supportive care available, it ranges from 20%-90%.

I knew it was bad... but up to 90%????

:faint:

Every week 10-30 people from EVERY single village surrounding Port Loco , Mayola, and Masiaka died. Every village. Every week. For about 6 weeks. 42 days. There was not one family spared from having at least one orphan.

Wow. Just... no words. Minimum 60 people dead in each village.

Now defunct of their former uses, they sit as a storage place for equipment no longer used to battle the horrors of this tragic disease.

Hoping they never get used again (for that purpose.)

While not proven, it is suspected that its origins are from handling monkey meat. But, we’ll get to that….

Okay.... erk.

Business all taken care of, we piled into our car, which amusingly still had our convoy placard on it, unscathed by drizzle and wipers,

One tough sign. Not going down without a fight!

The oppressive heat had already sapped my energy allotment for the day, and the sickness I’d been harboring for the last few days rendered my voice barely audible.

:hug:

We pondered quietly as our hosts told us of its leaking roof which forced the children to squat in mud for their lessons.

Holy cow. I can't even. Squat in the mud to go to school??? What the hell?

But first, they would like to hire someone to build benches. I cannot even imagine.

:sad2: Nor can I.

And you were there.

Beautiful, colorful clothes!

(Fried chicken, fries and fried plantain- are you seeing a trend here...?)

Looks pretty good. And yes... I see a trend towards plates with handles.
Was this your portion? Or a portion for sharing?

I know it's already been said, but I too thought of "before and after".

Then I thought....

"Excuse me? I'm looking for my wife? Did you happen to.... what's on your plate?!?!?!"

Next time, I’ll pick it up with our little outdoor classroom wherein 30 or so Community Health Workers learned about First Aid and Hand Hygiene

Looking forward to more!

and the US Nurses get one-upped by their students. ;)

Really! Can't wait to hear how!

Food Fight!

We interrupt your regular TR Programming to present to you Disneyland: An Interlude, wherein Steppe almost spent a very long time in Disney in not such a nice way, “choked” with epic proportions, ate her weight in food, and ended the trip with one last sprinkling of pixie dust. Every moment (except maybe 2) was truly magical in every way, and, as always, she never wanted to go home.

Let’s begin as all travel from dreary Portland does- with a good pair of new boots and a latte. It’s what’s done.

I was none to sad to leave the 40-degree rainy weather behind.

My flights were completely uneventful last Thursday, and I arrived to meet a gorgeous, sunny sky in SoCal ready to soak up some very much needed Vitamin D. And warmth. Let’s not forget the warmth. For the sake of brevity and to keep this tale a less-than-usually-boring accounting, I’m going to skip large chunks of my time and keep it to DISMeets and Disney. To fill in the gaps, just know I spent some time with a good friend generally hanging out doing a lot of reconnecting. Now, let’s get to the parts you’d be interested in. You know, the usual Steppe shenanigans that keep life umm…. exciting.

By the time I arrived, picked up my rental car, and got settled in my digs, it was time to meet up with the gang. PK was nice enough to offer rides when needed so we met at a convenient place and headed over to Alison and Fran’s place. So exciting!!! It was a perfect, beautiful setting by the pool for our little get-together.

Ponzi crafted us up some LOVELY Canadian Bloody Ceasars to enjoy poolside. Mmm! Hands down FAR better than it’s American cousin. Totes going to mix me up this rendition from now on. No, I didn’t take a photo. I’m sure the others did. I was more excited about trying it than sharing it. Sorry, DISFail! Imagine a tumbler with a drink that looks like a Bloody Mary with some celery in it. I will add that the specialized rimming salts were beyond fantastic and will be ordering some soon. It was GREAT to meet up with Jenny and Mike (rentayenta) as well. Wished we could have seen more of them during our trip. Great conversation with great company!

There, you can kinda see the drinks in this photo. Which might in fact, be my favorite photo of the trip.

Among many other topics, SoCal flora popped up and I had to pause to admire Alison’s "Shrimp Plant". I’d never seen one, and am pretty much in love with this species now.

And of course, I had to look it up suspecting it’s in the bougainvillea family….

Looking….

Looking…

Looking….

And I was wrong. But the colored leaves do look similar. I super miss the plants I grew up with… makes my visits back to the area that much nicer to see that part of my childhood. Yes, there will be more plant and flower photos.

:scientific diversion complete:

After our happy hour, it was time to head to the place we’d chosen months before for our first dinner: The Crab Pot in Long Beach.

Our view:

For kicks and giggles, and in case you care, the menu is

HERE

We were seated quickly and with our bibs securely in place, and in no time at all, our order of seafood was dumped onto our paper covered table. (For reference, we ordered 2 of the Westport Boils for the 4 of us.) Mmm, a low country boil. Every morsel was delicious. Maybe having to work for your dinner makes it more delicious?

I can neither confirm nor deny that food was being thrown around at the table. Okay, okay, no we didn’t throw food AT each other, but food was thrown. Off the table and into (most of the time) a big bowl set next to us on the floor to receive the picked over remains of our delicacies. It was tempting to fill up on the amazing sourdough bread and our wine order before the ample pile of shellfishies arrived and I, for one, was partially successful. Is it just me or is crab a crap-ton of work? At times, it felt like I was fighting way too hard for with my food for a bite or two. Thanks, clams and mussels! You're way easier to devour!

We laughed, told stories, threatened each other with mallets and shell crackers pirate:, commented on the hurricane-force winds blowing outside, and began to plan our Disney Monday. I can’t speak for the others, but I left looking EXACTLY like this:

A huge grin (which may have been due to the delicious ice wine that Ponzi had brought for us as an after-dinner treat) and the rather sizable bloat from the pig out that happened. In the end, the only food fighting was that of trying to finish. We came very close, but
The Rapture was tough on a few potatoes and some were left behind.

PK dropped Kari and I off at our respective accommodations and DISMeet Day 1 was over. May I mention once again how much I love SoCal? Good, because I’m going to.

Day 2 coming up soon (ish).

Yay!

Uh.... I mean... glad for the update!

:rolleyes1

(Seriously. I am glad for the update. :))

I will get through this TR! Promise! Kinda crunch time for studying now with my exam on May 7th. EEK!!!!! After I pass (or fail) I can devote more time to the DIS.

You're serving us lunch while we read? Nice!

The hospitality is astounding, ain't it?

Thanks for that. Now I can put it into perspective.

You're welcome. I thought it'd help with helping folks visualize distances and routes.

Huh...
Sierra Leone is about half the size of Maine.... but has Provinces.

Huh. (again)

Tiny, but traveling takes forever with cars breaking down, bad roads, toll booths, etc...

:) Glad you got some touristing in with your work.

A tiny bit here and there. :)

Kinda gives me the heebie jeebies. Wouldn't want to step on or kick one accidentally.
Maybe nothing would happen.... I don't wanna find out.

Me neither! Best seen from a respectful distance. Although the Thai LOVE to fry them in chili oil and onions. ;)

One is bad enough... put them both together and.......

Yikes?

No. I find that as we get older, we get less used to it.

A truism. Maybe preserving life is something learned over time.

Inspiring confidence (and leaving parts) wherever he goes.

LOL!!!

Sure! They're built out of spare fender parts that are lying all over the place.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

That stuff is everywhere. Spreads like.... Ebola.
But more lethal.

It is... disgusting. But when you're really, REALLY hungry, even termites might be tasty. Mmm, termites with fake cheese sauce.

:sad2:

Well, I'm glad you made it back home in one piece.

Me too!

Gorgeous!

Thanks. I'm rather fond of that shot myself.

Been there. When I was a kid my parents used to take me to a family friend's cottage. We had to cross a river on a single lane bridge. Had to wait a few times.

In a quaint kind of way, it's fun.

"Oh, the minister can't see us now? Of course. We understand. We were going to leave one of these new Toyotas with him as a gift, but we'll go to the next village and do it there. Bye!"

:rotfl:

Kinda important to the story.... ;)

I did not know that! Holy crap, Liesa!!

I'd not have gone if there'd been Ebola more recently than 2014. You do know that a vaccine is being developed in your own hometown? And in clinical trials, I believe as well?

I knew it was bad... but up to 90%????

:faint:

Staggering, I know.

Wow. Just... no words. Minimum 60 people dead in each village.

Yes. I was wondering who'd do the math.

Holy cow. I can't even. Squat in the mud to go to school??? What the hell?

Hard to believe there are still places like that in the 21st Cent.

Looks pretty good. And yes... I see a trend towards plates with handles.
Was this your portion? Or a portion for sharing?

This was for both Bek and me. Far more than enough.

I know it's already been said, but I too thought of "before and after".

Then I thought....

"Excuse me? I'm looking for my wife? Did you happen to.... what's on your plate?!?!?!"

:lmao:

:laughing:

And yet... I'll say it too. Pleeeeeeeeese?

That's the spirit. (But, of course, you already knew I'd have a few chapters whether you wanted it or not! LOL!)

Liesa I'm still here just trying to get caught back up. I'm on page 39 now. I'm reading everything so I don't miss anything cause I have FMS.

Liesa I'm still here just trying to get caught back up. I'm on page 39 now. I'm reading everything so I don't miss anything cause I have FMS.
Hey Vanessa, I saw that you updated (LOVE your photos btw!) so thought you might find your way here soon. :goodvibes Glad to see you again! :hug:

Glad Ponzi could enlighten you all :) I also like to add some garlic stuffed olives into mine...

I was very impressed! And olives? Yes, please!!!! Mmm!!!

Mmmmm, drool-worthy to be sure! Wish DH liked seafood, ugh. Or Disney, for that matter...

Mine likes seafood okay, but we very rarely go to places that serve good seafood, so I like to load up while I'm away. As for Disney... don't even get me started. :rolleyes: :confused3 :laughing:

Wherein We Dipped But Were Not Skinny

Day 2 was equally as nice. It was spent in a leisurely way in the OC area and I managed to find a few cacti in bloom that I had to pause and admire. I never get tired of SoCal beauty with the desert and Mediterranean flora.

By evening, it was time to meet up with The Gang again for Dinner #2. This time I made my own way to our venue- one we’d chosen (again) months before: The Melting Pot in Irvine. I'm tempted to nickname our little DISGroup "The Potheads" since this is the 2nd Restaurant dubbed Something Pot we had gone to in 2 nights. I’d not ever gotten to do restaurant fondue before so thought this would be a fun, interactive choice for us all. Glad they’d agreed. It’d have been a lonely meal otherwise.

I might be inclined to say that my drink was the best part of this meal. You can never go wrong with a Lemon Drop, but this one was out of this world! Heavenly! Perfectly tart and one that went down wayyyyyyyyyy too easy. Slow down there, Girl. You could get into some serious trouble with these little beauties. Mmm! Gulp, gulp!

Pkondz and I arrived first, and Fran, Alison, and Kari were a little behind us, but not much, and we were immediately seated when they got there. I’d already ordered my dangerous libation and was working on a glass of white wine when they arrived. The restaurant was darker than I thought it’d be, which for me kinda detracted from the experience, but in general it was a nice place. We began by debating which recipes of cheese to begin with and which salads to order. Trust me when I tell that there was more than edible cheese going on around the table.

Our table had two burners/pots so we could order and try two different styles for each course. Fran and Alison generally shared one pot, the other 3 of us the other. I think we all liked both cheese blends brought, but if I ever go again, I’ll try a different one. It was gooey, flavorful, and came with all kinds of stuff to dunk. Like vegetables, so we know at least one DISser will probably not go. The bread, 3 kinds, was amazing, and maybe my favorite of the whole meal food-wise. Yummy! Bread smothered in
(real) cheese sauce. If this had been sent along with the manna, there would have for SURE been less grumbling.

After that we had to choose the 2nd course (well, 3rd if you count salad, which I don’t)- the broth or oil that your meats would be cooked in. We went with something broth-y and winey, which was a nice change from the whiney back home and at work. Thank God for vacations. I think there were I dunno, I wasn’t counting 6 or 7? meats to dip and a few more things like tofu, mushroom raviolis, and other nice things. I got a chuckle out of the "extra" utensil put on the table for accidents. If you’ve ever “done” fondue you know what I’m talking about. You know how you may think you have your goody on your skewer securely only to realize after you get it into the pot, it promptly falls off? Come back here, you little piece of shiitake! Luckily, they give you a “Search and Rescue Spoon” to retrieve your floaties. Good thing too. It was passed around a lot like a virile cold. For me, the dipping sauces MADE this course much better. Sure, cooked meat is great, but slathered with gorgonzola or garlic or sweet and sour? Heck yes! Anywhoo…. I was pretty full by then, but as they say, “there’s always room for dessert”.

It was at this point that Mr. Cleaner-Upper Nazi sprang into action! Ladies and Gentlemen, keep your hands, legs, arms and other necessary body parts close in. They may get skewered at any time with his lightning fast moves while doing his job. He was fascinating to watch. Aggressive, yet quite adept. Seriously, do NOT mess with Mr. Cleaner-Upper. Kari was leery so hid her poking sticks under the table so he couldn’t get his greedy, yet efficient hands on them. I about died laughing while hoping she wouldn't stab me. I mean, I did let her her have as much meat as she wanted. I giggled to myself at the coincidence that we'd chosen 2 meals in a row which required potentially dangerous weapons at the table.

Only one of us lost an eye before it was time to choose our chocolate course. You know, the one that had better be served with a pitcher of water because it’s so rich and decadent? Our trio ordered the S’Mores recipe, while Fran and Alison ordered the one with booze (is anyone surprised?) for the pot nearest them. After the shaved choco had melted to its ooey-gooey goodness, and the cream was poured in, our server lit the whole thing… ON FIRE!!!! Who doesn’t love fire?! It was a light bulb moment for all of us- like, “OH! Duh, okay, S’Mores. That makes sense.” It flamed for a bit and then we took turns immersing our treasures of pound cake, rice krispy treats, brownies, fruits, and other delicacies into the molten deliciousness. Was I full? Well, YEAH! Did I eat more? Please, only serious questioners need apply. Did I get sick? Pffft. Live dangerously, or go home. Well, something like that anyway.

I took VERY few photos from this dinner. I was having just too much fun enjoying the company and the immersive experience. I think Disney should offer this in EPCOT or at DTD or something. No really. I think it’s a lot of fun for any age. They could even have a healthy option called the Skinny Dip. It would probably taste like crap, but be still be fun. We all said our good-byes and went our separate ways until we’d meet up again on Monday.

For which you’ll have to wait.

I have a huge amount of hours coming up this week. Which is good and bad. Gonna be long with very little free time, but will make up for the time off I took for this trip. We all know… ya gotta pay to play.

Until next time, Friends.

Also!! Please, I’m caught up on threads I’m subscribed to, but have an awful feeling I may have missed seeing some you have started? If you want me there, say something. K? Please.

Also, if you think about it, I could use some good thoughts and encouragement. I'm down to 2 weeks now before my exam and feeling rather shaky on one last big piece- using the manual flight calculator and navigation stuff. I am going to schedule some extra tutoring with a Flight Instructor for next weekend probably. EEK! Thanks!

Last edited:
Okay, as stated above I'm playing some MAJOR catch-up here. Don’t know how I lost track of this but I’ll try and catch up from the last place I remember being at :thumbsup2

Wrapping up your time in Freetown with that bucket bath and the concept of “good enough” reminds me of my Army days. Bummer about the loss of the French press, sure makes it harder to get going in the morning. Funny about the gal saying Rebekah’s hair was slippery but very soft :teeth:
Bird on a Wire AND Unladen Swallow in one go – well done! :jumping1:

Great shots of those old late 1700s houses and crazy that they've lasted this long in that climate.

Ahmed’s story is amazing – so sad that he wasn’t able to return to Mayola before his father passed. So very cool that you were able to return to the village with him now that he has accomplished so much for them :goodvibes

Sooooo funny that you left your camera in a car again :D

Crazy the little things you take for granted like good tires, real bathrooms, charged batteries. So funny that you harkened to the Safari Ride at WDW in describing that dirt road.

And for Ahmed to let you in like that, speaking about paying his respects to his father and grieve. And then watching what happened between him and his grandmother and the welcome at the village - very powerful. But crazy that you came in on the last day of school and didn’t get any sleep from them partying!

Beautiful shots in the Africa land of AK, I will be in Orlando at the Dolphin resort for a conference and if I had the time, AK is where I would go. But sadly a park visit just isn’t in the cards this time :confused3

That chimp kicking back was hilarious. And loved the antics of the meerkats set to your prose.

I wish I had it in me to caption that photo – my brain is just mush and I kept just fixating on the woman’s puffy sleeve that looked like it was swallowing her hand.

Sending good mojo to you for your May 7th FAA exam!!! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Nice Throw Mama from the Train reference to start your “L” chapter. And you should have the warmer temps finally – we’re hitting 80 degrees today or close to it! Nice job with the night shots at the resort though – love the water reflections.

That is quite the map of your travels! Mayola is way out there isn’t it? Couldn’t help but notice all of your other browsing tabs including two DISBoards and the one on Ebola! No breakfast or coffee and another harrowing trip and river crossing – but worse having to deal with a bureaucrat to get permission to do some good there. And all of that Ebola stuff. Kudos to you and your team for getting out there and doing this, especially with you having no voice or much energy to work with :cheer2:

Hey, you were at DLR on/around my birthday! And a big YES and PRETTY PLEASE to share those outrageous “Steppesister Moments”! ...and I turn the page to my pleas being answered! So you flew out the day after my B-Day :thumbsup2

Huzzah for starting out with a DISMeet! It looked like a great crowd to share drinks and Disney goodness with! Very cool Shrimp plant. And to follow it up with that great sunset view at the Crab Pot. Sounded like a delicious dinner and a good time for sure!

Purdy cactus flowers! And what a fun meal to have – I haven’t done fondue in FOREVER! What a great way to end day 2! Looking forward to more WDW/DLR/African Adventures! ::yes::

Ive been reading along but way too swamped to comment on anything and i have another weekend at the Grand coming up which promises to be way more brain cell destroying than the last since i really had no partners in crime over the weekend last time

I'm here...in between work & dog sitting 2 3-month old mixed lab puppies. :-) My cousin nailed it...it's like having 2 wild toddlers. :-)

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter