The ABCs of Starting Over- OR to KY Roadtrip + WDW 50th Ann. Trip 9/28-10/4; Day 6 and REPORT COMPLETE!

I'm looking forward to this!

Great intros. I'm impressed with Zach making the move too. I hope he comes to love it.

I'm very curious to see your route for this trip too since it will be taking you all over.
Me too, and I am also excited to share it all with you all!

Time is going to tell on that one. It's quite a big deal to move that far logistically, so we shall see...

We're gonna cover a LOT of territory for SURE!!

Change is once again calling out to me and telling me it’s time to pick up some broken pieces, choose a new canvas, and paint a new picture. I’ve been given some beautiful colors to work with and while the brushstrokes may be clumsy at first, I am excited to see what the final masterpiece will be.

Well that paints a lovely picture! :flower3:

Now that you know me a bit more, let's talk about this epic road trip

I actually knew those things! I must know you pretty well. :thumbsup2

You may be asking yourself why I would pick up the pieces and choose to move to such a far away place with such a completely different culture and climate

Not really. I know how much you love your parents.

The weather in Oregon is depressing and difficult for me to deal with 9 months of the year.

I can understand that. I don't know what I would do if I didn't live somewhere that it is sunny every day.

Lastly, there is an unspoken understanding that, in exchange for this family-friendly home purchase price, I will provide companionship and care for my parents as they enter their golden years and need more help.

That's very kind of you. Fran's parents were just awful in their last years. Then again I suppose they were mostly awful throughout their lives.

As you might have anticipated this 2-week cross-country journey will end with a trip to Disney to celebrate not only my new Beginning, but WDW's 50th Anniversary with some of my longest-standing DISFriends.

I was going to be there too, but given the current infection stats in FL, Fran and I are happy with our decision to rent out those vacations. We're going to be checking into that third shot for her.

Where would you go on a Grand Adventure if you could leave tomorrow.

I don't think I would want to go on a Grand Adventure tomorrow. There are just too many places that are too dangerous for people like us. It will be a while before we can travel without inhibitions again.

Hey Alison!! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:I kinda snuck this TR in and am so glad you found me. I was late in the game putting a link in my other TR and I know a lot of folks don't scan the list of TRs (like me) so....happy you're here!

The only way I found it was the link in your other TR. I never browse forums. No time for that! Looking forward to hearing about your journey.

No bad guys? Where are the exploding helicopters going to come from?

You never know what could happen on a road trip! There could be some of those that appear out of nowhere making for a better than usual road trip. I have high hopes for Texas.
Good for you, Zach. I hope it proves to be a rewarding adventure.

Sounds like he's already got a job/transfer lined up at Home Depot. :)

Wait, what? I think you buried the lede here.

I'd never heard that term before. Got stuck down a deep rabbit hole looking that up. :) There was a lot of cobbler in there.

Awesome! This is going to be a fun trip.

The route is shaping up to be really amazing! So many great places to see.

The house that you will be living in looks like a wonderful place to live. I can see why you made the decision to move here. We drove through the Bowling Green area during one of our trips to WDW and it was a beautiful area. I can't remember if you went to Bowling Green before you decided to make the move.

My goal is to see more of the USA. We have been lots of places but will be going to the Northeast, specifically Maine, for the first time next month. :)
It's the perfect size for me. The plan is to travel a fair bit at first and go from there. Bowling Green is a very pretty place for sure and nicely centrally located. I have been there many times to visit my folks and do love the area quite a lot.

The US has so much to see for sure! The NE is an area I have NOT spent much time in and hopefully someday I can get up there and tack on the Canadian Maritimes. Of course Autumn would be amazing! I'd love to see your photos so let me know if you do a TR or if you'd like to show us some photos here, please by all means, do share!

Well that paints a lovely picture! :flower3:

I hope that the picture is one I can be proud of. :)
I actually knew those things! I must know you pretty well. :thumbsup2

I think you do. ;)
Not really. I know how much you love your parents.

They have been very good to me setting a great example of love and commitment as well as generosity, hard work, and kindness.

I can understand that. I don't know what I would do if I didn't live somewhere that it is sunny every day.

It definitely can affect mood. According to a lot of studies, the PNW has the highest rates of S.A.D. and depression of anywhere in the US.
That's very kind of you. Fran's parents were just awful in their last years. Then again I suppose they were mostly awful throughout their lives.

That's terrible! I'm so happy that Fran chose a different path and is such a kind person. :goodvibes:
I was going to be there too, but given the current infection stats in FL, Fran and I are happy with our decision to rent out those vacations. We're going to be checking into that third shot for her.

I hope that works out for her. :)
I don't think I would want to go on a Grand Adventure tomorrow. There are just too many places that are too dangerous for people like us. It will be a while before we can travel without inhibitions again.

:hug:
The only way I found it was the link in your other TR. I never browse forums. No time for that! Looking forward to hearing about your journey.
I"m glad I stuck it in there from the suggestion of someone else. I had forgotten and you, like me, just don't browse the list of TRs. Life, at least right now, is just too busy with moving logistics and working as much as I possibly can to save money for my upcoming move and trips.

This story happens to be filled with only protagonists. Well, that is the plan as we begin our journey. However, depending on the selected playlist of my 24-year old son traveling with me, that could change rather quickly.

Maybe try an audiobook... :rolleyes1

He is a hard worker, loyal beyond all reason, and genuinely polite. Unless he’s interacting with his 19-year old sister.

OK here is something I didn't know. I thought Zach was the youngest....is your youngest the one where you had to be flown to another country to give birth?

Yep, you read that right, I have a boy that likes to experiment with seasonings and different flavor combinations

I'm not totally surprised. There is an anchor on the weekend news who cooks and he would talk about it in the chit chat in-between stories. Now they have a segment every Saturday where he cooks something (recorded at his house earlier in the week.) I've even made a few of the things he's posted.

his dad and step-mom.

Whoa! 🙄

I'm just gonna leave it at that.

He is resilient and excited about the new challenges of finding a new job, setting up his own apartment with a yet-to-be-found roommate(s), and becoming more independent.

Good for him!

Greg and Marcia are the most faithful, generous, fun-loving friends a girl could ever have.

How nice they're helping you with this journey.

If you are along I-395 in California, I-40 through Texas, are in Tucson, Northern Arizona, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennesse, or Kentucky, PM me.

Nope. You're skipping my neck of the woods....

Are you going to stop and sightsee along the way? You might enjoy shooting some pics in Bodie, the ghost town off 395.

26 days left.

So that means you leave on Sept 8th?

I need to hit some southern States.

Maybe when the border opens in 3-10 years.

:rolleyes:

You can also get frybread tacos in Colorado and Utah....

Maybe try an audiobook... :rolleyes1
I actually had thought of that. Marcia is an avid reader and has kept a long list, so I will probably get a few recommendations from her. I know of a few other good friends who listen to books regularly and hope they can offer some thoughts as well. :)

OK here is something I didn't know. I thought Zach was the youngest....is your youngest the one where you had to be flown to another country to give birth?

Anara is my youngest. I went to Thailand to deliver her and she is 19 now. :) She is the one who may eventually go to Italy with me as it was sort of promised as her graduation gift.
I'm not totally surprised. There is an anchor on the weekend news who cooks and he would talk about it in the chit chat in-between stories. Now they have a segment every Saturday where he cooks something (recorded at his house earlier in the week.) I've even made a few of the things he's posted.

How fun. :) Great to see a hobby get some love and be shared.
Whoa! 🙄

I'm just gonna leave it at that.

You are not the first nor only person to be.... surprised at that.
How nice they're helping you with this journey.

For sure! I have done many road trips all by myself, but this one was one I wasn't too keen on to do alone.
Nope. You're skipping my neck of the woods....

Are you going to stop and sightsee along the way? You might enjoy shooting some pics in Bodie, the ghost town off 395.

We'll be staying north of you, turning east around Barstow. Route in a post soon. ;)

But what is this Bodie you speak of?! I ADORE ghost towns and would love to see this one.!! Mono Lake is on the list, but assume that has no water in it right now.
So that means you leave on Sept 8th?

Sept 7th if all goes as planned. Depends a little bit on what time that morning the moving pod gets picked up.
You can also get frybread tacos in Colorado and Utah....

:yes:

And soooo delicious. Every region has their little nuance too. :)

Welcome to KY! We've been in NKY for 8 1/2 years now and really do love it here. We're closer to Cincinnati. We love the terrain but the summers can get really hot.

If I could go anywhere, it'd be Scotland. We've been twice but I've done some ancestry tracing after doing DNA and found that my family came from Sutherland. That's not a place we've visited before but I'd love to.

The people in Scotland are some of the kindest and most willing to help a stranger type of people we've ever encountered anywhere in our travels. If we could live there, I think we'd seriously consider it but we've just had our first grandchild and I'm not sure I could stand to be that far away from him. An hour is bad enough.

Good luck and safe travels on your adventure!

Welcome to KY! We've been in NKY for 8 1/2 years now and really do love it here. We're closer to Cincinnati. We love the terrain but the summers can get really hot.

We'll be practically neighbors! I know the humidity is going to get pretty humid compared to what I'm used to. Luckily the new place will have AC, something I've not had in any home since 1985.

If I could go anywhere, it'd be Scotland. We've been twice but I've done some ancestry tracing after doing DNA and found that my family came from Sutherland. That's not a place we've visited before but I'd love to.

I've heard SOOOOO many people say that! And a place I'd love to re-visit again as well. If I do go, I'd love do a "grand tour" of the entirety of the UK. :yes:

The people in Scotland are some of the kindest and most willing to help a stranger type of people we've ever encountered anywhere in our travels. If we could live there, I think we'd seriously consider it but we've just had our first grandchild and I'm not sure I could stand to be that far away from him. An hour is bad enough.

That part I really do understand. It's going to be tough for "Gummie" (me) to live so far away from Declan. If I were to make a permanent change, I'd have to wonder where I'd end up (I mean moving overseas).

Good luck and safe travels on your adventure!

Thank you!!! It's shaping up to be really fun. Some interesting places are on the docket!

Favorite meme of all time!
:laughing: It's pretty funny.
I really is. He's a pretty great kid. :)
:goodvibes
Both stressful and endearing all at the same time
I prefer the endearing part to the stressful part.
:eek::lmao:

And it was.

The cobbler and the butt.
:eek:

:lmao:
I really hope it's a whole lot sooner than that, but who knows. I don't trust anything anyone says anymore about timelines. Or much else.
Yeah... moving target.

Joining in and excited to follow along on your adventures. Sounds amazing to me!
I’d love to visit ( in no particular order) New York, Boston, Washington DC, the Grand Canyon and Pawhuska. That last one is just for the craic after getting hooked watching the Pioneer Woman cookery programmes with my mum. She suffered with Alzheimer’s and it was hard to find tv she could enjoy without getting scared but she was an amazing cook in her day and she grew up in the country ( here in Ireland) so the pioneer woman was perfect.
I need a six month tour of the US but I also need a driver as the whole driving on the right thing throws me. Either that or I need to start in a car park to practice first. :rotfl: :drive:

Last edited:
B is for: Byways and Highways

Well, my boxes are packed, I’m ready to go. Er, sort of. I mean a lot of my boxes are packed. I have about 6 or 8 left to go. Mostly my milkglass cups, some dishes/china, some framed art, and my clothes that are going in a couple of “closet/hanger” boxes. Aside from wrapping the furniture with moving blankets and plastic wrapping it all, I’m pretty well set. I’ve been at it for weeks and months and the hope is that the week of my move will be a whole lot LESS stressful that it otherwise might have been. Slow and steady with good planning was the way to go here. I’ve still got a steady list of mundane things to check off, like change of address, paying last bills, giving the apartment a thorough cleaning, and employment separation stuff, but day by day I am making progress and by Sept. 7th, I’ll be ready to roll.

Movers have been reserved to carry most of this stuff down to the U-Pack pod being delivered on the 3rd. I moved almost all of my stuff in by myself 3 years ago and ended up with neck surgery for it. Silly me. Loads and loads and loads of stuff have been taken to the Goodwill, my plants were taken to a co-worker’s today, I’ve given tons of stuff to my kids, thrown even more crap out, and have packed some boxes for Tucson and another (much bigger) set of boxes for Bowling Green. On top of that, I’ve worked an average of 48 hours a week to bank some savings for this mega-move and tried my very best to maintain the most important relationships I have. Sometimes not very well, but I have tried.

Yesterday I went out with most of my co-workers for one last hurrah; it was bittersweet to say the least. I’m definitely moving with mixed feelings. It’s a great place to work with a really great team of nurses who truly care about our patients. I will miss those friends dearly. 6 more day shifts and one more night left. But this is all boring stuff, and while there aren’t any exploding helicopters yet, I can offer some insight into the really fantastic route we’re plotting. All good trip planning meetings involve good food and wine, no? And maps. Lots and lots of maps. And stories. And chatter. And laughter.

Let’s start with the first few days...

Day 1-

Rather than haul down I-5, which all of us have done far too many times and is as boring as life in Covid Quarantine, we’ve chosen to take the road less traveled and stick to the east side of the Cascades and Sierras on 395, heading south as far as Roseburg. Did you know that Roseburg was the site of the worst manmade disaster in Oregon history?

https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/roseburg_blast/#.YRm1o4hKhPY

We’ll cut east there and follow the gorgeous Umpqua River. Somewhere along this route we’ll stick with the “Dynamite Theme” and visit a place where Greg knows about called “The Dynamite Hole” along the river to see the spawning Steelhead. Maybe we’ll meet the "Guardian" shown in this article:

https://www.moldychum.com/the-sentinel-of-the-big-bend-pool/

Somewhere along the way we’ll eat some lunch and then enjoy what many describe as the "Jewel of Oregon"- Crater Lake. Oddly, for as many years as I’ve lived here, I’ve never gotten to see it. Fixing that just in time! Hope to snag a few decent photos here for sure!

Heading south from there, we’ll stop in Klamath Falls for the night. Other than Tucson, it’s our only for sure overnight spot. The rest of hopeful speculation. Between and after, we just don’t know where we’ll get to each evening. That’s part of the beauty of a road trip- no knowing really what you’ll see along the way, how many stops will be made, or how weary-ing the driving will get. Hopefully in K Falls, we’ll be able to meet up with Tammie for dinner or breakfast. I have no idea if there is any point of interest there but will reach out to her and ask. I do know there’s a Walmart where I can pick up all the things I’ve forgotten.

Day 2-

From K Falls, we’ll head towards the 395 by way of the Lava Beds National Monument. This too is new to me, and I think it’ll offer some cool scenery for photos. I’d imagine we’ll do a short hike at the very least. Oh, there are some caves there, too. ;)

From there, the next destination is Susanville, where Greg and Marcia have stayed before and say is a great place to overnight. If I’m not mistaken there is a nice museum that we may enjoy the next morning after breakfast.

Day 3-

Out of Susanville we take a turn into the Wild, Wild West. There’s a little detour off of 395 called the Comstock Highway that you can read about here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_State_Route_341 Along this route we can see cool old towns like Silver City, Virginia City, and Gold Hill. There are tons of museums and lodes of Gold Rush stuff to see.

Hopefully with a fair bit of sightseeing in the rearview mirror, we’ll settle in Carson City for the night.

Day 4-

There isn’t a huge ton to see between Carson City and Ridgecrest, but there is Mono Lake- something I’ve wanted to see for a long time. I have NO idea if there’s even any water IN it right now, but I’m gonna find out. It just looks super interesting and I’m excited to check it out. Also, Alison suggested we stop in at Bodie, CA, another ghost town along the way. This, too, should provide some photo ops that are fun.

The reason I think we’ll end up stopping in Ridgecrest is that Marcia has a cousin who lives there that she hasn’t seen in a very long time. She doesn’t think it’ll be a long visit, but long enough that an almost 6-hour day, without the Bodie and Mono Lake stops, will be enough.

That wraps up Days 1-4. There’s a lot packed in there already. Anyone been to any of those places? Something you’ve seen along the way we should add?

Attachments

• 1629253450540.png
    1629253450540.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Joining in and excited to follow along on your adventures. Sounds amazing to me!

OHhh, I am SO happy you're here again!! :D I hope the whole thing is a grand as it is in my imagination. LOL!

I’d love to visit ( in no particular order) New York, Boston, Washington DC, the Grand Canyon and Pawhuska.

Sounds like for the most part, you're a "city" lover. :) But, I confess, I had to look Pawhuska up.
That last one is just for the craic after getting hooked watching the Pioneer Woman cookery programmes with my mum. She suffered with Alzheimer’s and it was hard to find tv she could enjoy without getting scared but she was an amazing cook in her day and she grew up in the country ( here in Ireland) so the pioneer woman was perfect.

And this too. I don't have a TV, so had never heard of the show but it sure does sound like the PERFECT show for someone who struggled with anxiety or confusion. I also had to look up "craic" and what a GREAT word!!! I need to hear you pronounce it someday when I finally get to your neck of the woods in my travels!!! Oddly, the UK/Ireland/has been on my mind lately. I had a friend visit recently, and it got me whistful.

I need a six month tour of the US but I also need a driver as the whole driving on the right thing throws me. Either that or I need to start in a car park to practice first. :rotfl: :drive:

6 months ought to do it! There is a LOT of ground to cover and so much beautiful land to see. I hope someday you can do that!

OHhh, I am SO happy you're here again!! :D I hope the whole thing is a grand as it is in my imagination. LOL!
Good to see you again too. Love your plans for days 1-4 and I reckon it will indeed be as grand an adventure as you’re imagining!
Sounds like for the most part, you're a "city" lover. :) But, I confess, I had to look Pawhuska up.
I love both city and country but yes I’ve been wanting to visit those places for a long time. Loved Australia and Canada when I was there and would really like to revisit as we have family in both countries but 24 hours on a plane puts me off returning to Australia. Need to psych myself up for that journey. I’d love to revisit Niagra Falls to show my boys and then possibly travel through the Rockies. Basically I need to win the lottery so I can travel the globe 🤣
And this too. I don't have a TV, so had never heard of the show but it sure does sound like the PERFECT show for someone who struggled with anxiety or confusion
Unlike the time I took mum to see Peter Pan 3D and the opening scene had a cannonball rocketing towards her. The poor woman thought she’d been shot😱 We laughed together after (I may have removed her 3D glasses rather hastily) and to this day my kids and I laugh about my choice of movie that day :rotfl:
I also had to look up "craic" and what a GREAT word!!! I need to hear you pronounce it
Sounds like crack
, the UK/Ireland/has been on my mind lately. I had a friend visit recently, and it got me whistful.
You never know! Maybe when you’ve got settled in your new home and have a bit of time to restock your savings you’ll make it over here. Hopefully covid buggers off enough ( or vaccine uptake is good enough) that travel is possible again.We had plans for Florida 2020 (though that got canceled by my health issues) but we’d have been back by now) and then Italy and Portugal were on the list of possible for a week long summer 2021 break but still not possible.😞 I know we are all so lucky to be healthy and happy and my beautiful granddaughter made an appearance just 3 weeks ago so we have much to be grateful for but I miss travel. Sigh, hopefully 2022 brings new possibilities 🤞
6 months ought to do it! There is a LOT of ground to cover and so much beautiful land to see. I hope someday you can do that!
Me too!

Last edited:
Are you going to Tucson first? I guess I didn’t realize you would go through California to get to Kentucky, lol 😆
I’m learning about some cool places.
I have been up the Oregon coast years ago, very beautiful and of course with my parents living in Tucson for many years I have been to many parts of AZ.
California, I have been to the redwood forest, LA, Del Mar, Disneyland, and San Diego.
We did a hot air balloon ride over DelMar and the ocean, beautiful 🤩

I’ve been at it for weeks and months and the hope is that the week of my move will be a whole lot LESS stressful that it otherwise might have been. Slow and steady with good planning was the way to go here.

Good call on that. I hate packing. More than moving, I think.

On top of that, I’ve worked an average of 48 hours a week to bank some savings for this mega-move and tried my very best to maintain the most important relationships I have. Sometimes not very well, but I have tried.

Goodness. The days are just packed!

Yesterday I went out with most of my co-workers for one last hurrah; it was bittersweet to say the least. I’m definitely moving with mixed feelings.

Goodbyes are always hard.

But this is all boring stuff, and while there aren’t any exploding helicopters yet,

Sigh.

And maps. Lots and lots of maps.

Maps are good, though! I love studying maps.

IMG_8618-L.jpg

You're driving through Hawaii?? I never would have expected that.

Did you know that Roseburg was the site of the worst manmade disaster in Oregon history?

I did not, in fact, know that. Interesting.

Crater Lake. Oddly, for as many years as I’ve lived here, I’ve never gotten to see it.

Really? I never would have guessed that! Glad you're crossing it off the list.

I do know there’s a Walmart where I can pick up all the things I’ve forgotten.

You don't consider Walmart a point of interest?

I have NO idea if there’s even any water IN it right now, but I’m gonna find out.

With the severe drought, I'm guessing no.

That wraps up Days 1-4. There’s a lot packed in there already. Anyone been to any of those places? Something you’ve seen along the way we should add?

Looks like you're coming very close to Lassen Volcanic, Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. All are worthy stops, and it would kill me to be so close to Yosemite and not go into the park. But I do believe they have a reservation system for visitors in place at the moment.

I like your travel plans! Nice you can break up the drive stopping at some interesting places. Our son and family lived in Salem for 2 years. We visited Crater Lake - beautiful! We've also seen Mono Lake on our way to Yosemite. Really different and worth stopping at. You'll be off soon!

I enjoy home decorating, fresh flowers, and going to Disney as often as I can, but have sights on Italy and Greece, the Canadian Maritimes, and East Africa.
Come t PEI in the summer when I am at the cottage!
And now it's YOUR turn: Where would you go on a Grand Adventure if you could leave tomorrow. Would you move there? Visit? For how long?
I am hoping to do both the Hebrides in Scotland and Ireland next summer.
He is a hard worker, loyal beyond all reason, and genuinely polite. Unless he’s interacting with his 19-year old sister. As with all siblings, they have a love-hate relationship, but if push came to shove, he’d defend her beyond all reason. He loves to play video games (what kid doesn’t these days?), play board games when I bribe him with dinner, and cook. Yep, you read that right, I have a boy that likes to experiment with seasonings and different flavor combinations and his favorite cookbook is one I got him last Christmas that is Skyrim-themed (one of his video games).
Sounds like an exceptional young man!
I really admire him for taking the chance on starting a new chapter in his life and taking the opportunity to develop deeper relationships with another set of grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, and cousins. He is resilient and excited about the new challenges of finding a new job, setting up his own apartment with a yet-to-be-found roommate(s), and becoming more independent.
Goof for Zach! Taking a leap of faith is never easy.
Despite some normal travel partner challenges, we generally really love our trips together. They love good food, seeing new places, gardening, spending time with their 2 adult kids, fishing, target shooting/hunting, and friends. Greg makes a wicked delicious salsa with their homegrown tomatoes and Marcia’s favorite new cocktail is a Pisco Sour thanks to moi!
Good friends and travel partners are essential.
Slow and steady with good planning was the way to go here. I’ve still got a steady list of mundane things to check off, like change of address, paying last bills, giving the apartment a thorough cleaning, and employment separation stuff, but day by day I am making progress and by Sept. 7th, I’ll be ready to roll.
I love that you are starting this new adventure in your life at the start of the school year. As a life long educator, September always feels like the start of the new year to me.
Heading south from there, we’ll stop in Klamath Falls for the night. Other than Tucson, it’s our only for sure overnight spot. The rest of hopeful speculation. Between and after, we just don’t know where we’ll get to each evening. That’s part of the beauty of a road trip- no knowing really what you’ll see along the way, how many stops will be made, or how weary-ing the driving will get. Hopefully in K Falls, we’ll be able to meet up with Tammie for dinner or breakfast. I have no idea if there is any point of interest there but will reach out to her and ask. I do know there’s a Walmart where I can pick up all the things I’ve forgotten.
I adore road trips! Nothing like discovering new things along the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter