The Alaskan Jewel! Welcome Aboard….You don’t Exist!

jenseib

Mommy to Claire
Hi all!

For those that don’t know me, I am Jen. For those that do…well hi again!

I am a mom of 3, 2 grown kids and then my baby who is 10 and a grandmother to a now 10 month old.

For those that know me, you know I am a pretty big Disney fan..nerd..geek…whacko….whatever term you want to use is fine. I’m cool with it. I tend to try and go to Disney World once a year, though it doesn’t always happen and then there are years when I go more than once, so it all evens out in the end.

This year is a non-Disney year believe it or not! We decided to sail on Norwegian (NCL)....to Alaska…. as you can tell my by title.

What? Disney sails to Alaska, so why didn't you sail with them?

Well long story short, we found going out of Seattle was going to work better for us and Disney sails out of Vancouver. And then price and availability was another factor. When I started looking at the week we wanted to cruise, Disney was pretty much sold out. Every so often a stateroom would pop up but the price was sky high. In the end we went with NCL which was almost half the cost of DCL and we got a bigger stateroom category.

When did you go? July 31 we flew into Seattle and set sail on the NCL Jewel on Aug. 1.

Who went?

Well that would be me…obviously…and my husband Skip and my youngest, Claire.

797765 by Jennifer Dowling, on Flickr

I often travel with Claire and my husband comes most times, but he is what I like to call a resister. He complains a lot about vacations, even though I know he has a good time. Things have changed around here a little bit and it was easier for Skip to get away and believe it or not he was excited about this trip!

I will be sharing the good, bad and the ugly….and the beautiful. There was a lot of good and a lot of beautiful…unfortunately there were some bad and ugly as well and I will tell all the details.

I also will also be comparing my experience to Disney Cruise line. I have sailed them 4 times in the past and they are still ranked number 1 to me. I also sailed Princess for the first time last year and I may do some comparisons to them as well.

Please bear with me as I am slow at writing. I edit my pictures as I go and it is time consuming and I am also busy with work and life, so it takes me a while.

Coming up…I will clue you in how this cruise came about…it was not the vacation I had been planning on originally.

I am very eager to read this trip report! Thanks for doing this Jen :goodvibes We all understand how work slows things down so will patiently await each update :thumbsup2

Claire is looking like a nice young lady already. How time flies!

Last edited:
Awesome! I've really been looking forward to this! :dance3:

Joining along! :) I can't believe Claire is 10 - she is so tall now! I loved reading your thoughts on Princess and now NCL too..! We are also sailing Alaska again in 2016 but this time not on DCL since my relatives are going and are not Disney freaks like we are - can't wait to hear your thoughts on them!

All subbed up Jen.

And OMG! Clare looks like she has grown up SO much since your last trip report. Like she morphed from kid into pre-teen overnight.

I'm here. I know some of the ugly. Glad it ended up a great trip in the end!

Jill in CO

Trying to dip my toes back in the world....
I'm looking forward to hearing about your cruise. Alaska is a bucket list item for me :)

Thanks for the heads up! I'm so very excited to hear about your trip as I've always dreamed of going to Alaska.

Checking in. Claire is looking so grown up in that photo and I can't believe that Gracie is already 10 months. Time does fly.

Corinna

I am very eager to read this trip report! Thanks for doing this Jen :goodvibes We all understand how work slows things down so will patiently await each update :thumbsup2

Claire is looking like a nice young lady already. How time flies!

I hope I can get to some of the good stuff in the next few days. I still have work to do, but I am slowly catching up.

Awesome! I've really been looking forward to this! :dance3:

Yay! Did you get my email and see I started?

Joining along! :) I can't believe Claire is 10 - she is so tall now! I loved reading your thoughts on Princess and now NCL too..! We are also sailing Alaska again in 2016 but this time not on DCL since my relatives are going and are not Disney freaks like we are - can't wait to hear your thoughts on them!

She is so tall for her age. We had a school open house last night and she towers over her friends even more than usual. I think her one friend shrunk. LOL.

What line are you sailing on to Alaska? I really want to go back again. hopefully in about 2 or 3 years we will. Next Feb I have a DCL cruise with co-workers and then we are talking about a big family cruise on the Fantasy in the fall, so I know it won't be next year. (Unless I can talk family into Alaska on DCL. LOL)

All subbed up Jen.

And OMG! Clare looks like she has grown up SO much since your last trip report. Like she morphed from kid into pre-teen overnight.

She is growing like a weed and she does look like a preteen for sure.

I can't wait to hear about your Alaskan voyage. Comparisons are always good.

Thanks for joining in. We had a great time, but we did have some big bumps here and there.

I'm here. I know some of the ugly. Glad it ended up a great trip in the end!

Jill in CO

I am so glad it all came together eventually and we had a great time. Things just were not handled well and I have written an email and waiting on the response. I was told it could take 10 days.

I'm intrigued...

Let's just say their customer service is NOT like Disney's.

Thanks, I got the bat signal and look forward to your report.

Glad you got it. I tried to post it in a few spots!

Uh oh, thats what I was afraid of... lol!

I posted my drama on facebook as it was happening and my co-worker Brook was updating too. It wasn't pretty at all. I usually try not to let things bother me but I will admit I had panic and was getting close to tears at one point.

I'm here! I also followed your Princess Cruise!

Welcome!!!!!

Glad to see you started! Looking forward to reading all about the trip!

I am excited to relive it all!

I'm here and excited :cool1:

Woohooo!!!! I can't wait to dive in and get my pictures edited and posted.

Trying to dip my toes back in the world....
I'm looking forward to hearing about your cruise. Alaska is a bucket list item for me :)

Um ...do I know you? Gosh your name sounds familiar....Trying to place you.....oh wait yes...you are that one girl with that cute daughter. hahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up! I'm so very excited to hear about your trip as I've always dreamed of going to Alaska.

I just know John would LOVE Alaska. It is absolutely amazing!!!!!!! It's hard to nail down which excursions to do as there are so many things that are interesting.

Whaaaaaat? Are my eyes deceiving me? Is that Carey? So glad to see you!

I know... I was so shocked to see her...Now I hope she keeps coming back!

Checking in. Claire is looking so grown up in that photo and I can't believe that Gracie is already 10 months. Time does fly.

Corinna

Hi Corinna! Glad you could make it. I am still playing catch up on Dis and I don't think I have finished reading yours...or maybe I have? LOL. Heck I can't remember my name at some times during the day.

Excited to hear about your trip! We're looking at doing an Alaskan Cruise for the extended family next year and my sister REFUSES (gasp!) to do Disney. Norwegian is one of the cruise lines she is pushing, so I will be looking forward to reading!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter