The BIG one - Hmm. Things I didn't think...

jackskellingtonsgirl

DIS Veteran
OK, friends. This is it. The BIG one. The really, really big one.

DS auditions tomorrow morning for the Arts magnet high school. The competition is fierce, and there are only about 60 Theater slots for about 400 kids. :scared: He is at his acting coach for his final session now.

We went to Open House at the "regular" high school last night, and believe me when I say that isn't a place for him.

Please, please keep DS in your thoughts. Send him good thoughts, prayers, pixie dust, mojo, ju-ju, charms, incantations, whatever you've got.

Those of you on my FaceBook may have read my note on "If there was a parent interview". I can't even begin to explain how much I want him to have the chance to go to this amazing school. He belongs there, not because I think he is some amazing talent, but because he would fit in with those kids so much better than he would fit at the neighborhood high school.

OK... we'll pace with you. ::yes:: Sending every hope your way!!!

Sending good wishes our way! I love how you are supporting him. I hope he gets good news.:wizard:

Got all appropriate body parts crossed. Sending loads of good thoughts!

Sending positive vibes, pixie dust, and even a prayer to a special saint who helped me get through a similar situation!

:thumbsup2

Thank you so much! He checks in at 8 AM, audition starts at 8:30. He has to rotate through 5 stations. Out of 100 possible points he has to get a minimum of 75 or he is automatically out. But we won't know anything until March 13 at the earliest.

Fingers and toes crossed. Even though mine are only 6 and 9 I know not every school is right for them especially DS. We felt like we won the lottery when DD got into the Charter School they are in now.

Keep us posted!!

400 kids auditioning???? Jeeeez! How big is this high school? :eek:

Thank you so much! He checks in at 8 AM, audition starts at 8:30. He has to rotate through 5 stations. Out of 100 possible points he has to get a minimum of 75 or he is automatically out. But we won't know anything until March 13 at the earliest.

Does he know today about making the minimum 75? Or is that part of the March 13 deadline.

My daughter is in a drama competition today, but the stakes are nothing like yours. My son attended technical high school which turned out to be such a perfect fit for him. His shop was carpentry which he has no desire to persue, but academically and socially it was such a good fit for him. I have my fingers crossed for your son. It is so important (too important unfortunately) that the high school experience is a good one.

400 kids auditioning???? Jeeeez! How big is this high school? :eek:

The school is about 800 kids total. There are 210 freshman slots, 61 are Theater slots. We are ballparking between 300-400 kids are auditioning JUST for Theater. Music, Dance, and Visual Arts don't concern me, because the kids are only allowed to choose ONE area for audition.

This is one of the top rated arts schools in the nation, and it also has very strong academics. Dallas is a HUGE private school market, but with the economy in the crapper the parents are trying to get their kids into the magnet schools because they are free. Tuition at the private school that would be a good fit for DS runs $25K PER YEAR for high school, not including textbooks. :scared1: You know, even if I had an extra $100K to spend on high school tuition I have to ask myself if I WOULD spend that much.

Anyway, we are home. :) DS said he felt like the audition went well. He was in an audition group with the 2 girls from his middle school who are also applying, so I think that helped his nerves a bit. Now we wait. I am going to be a basket case by the time they mail those letters. Not like I had far to go. :rolleyes: I am pretty much on the verge of basket case all the time. I will be stalking the mailman on March 13.

Good that he feels it went well! Hang in there Mama! He's your boy, after all! ::yes::

Anyway, we are home. :) DS said he felt like the audition went well. He was in an audition group with the 2 girls from his middle school who are also applying, so I think that helped his nerves a bit. Now we wait. I am going to be a basket case by the time they mail those letters. Not like I had far to go. :rolleyes: I am pretty much on the verge of basket case all the time. I will be stalking the mailman on March 13.

OMG...:scared1: I couldn't bear to wait two whole weeks...keep us posted...or we'll be here doing this>>>popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::

Our DS went to Interlochen Arts Academy for high school. I remember those auditions well. We could not have asked for a better, more fulfilling education for him. We look forward to your March 13th announcement here on the Disboards of your DS letter of acceptance. :thumbsup2

Well, I would say for your son to break a leg, but he already auditioned. :laughing: But, anywho, I hope he broke both legs and his tail bone during the audition and got in!! And when he does, you have to let me know when he does some shows!

I will definitely let you guys know when we get the letter. The letter in mid-March will say one of 3 things - he is in, he is out (meaning he didn't make the 75 minimum audition score), or he is waitlisted (meaning he scored at least 75, but other people scored higher so there are no more slots). Waitlist will definitely result in me being carted off to the asylum. I have heard that kids DO get in from the waitlist all the way up into late September, but having to wait all summer and then start off at the regular high school would be brutal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter