The BIG one - Hmm. Things I didn't think...

I don't think I've posted... But I've been following along this whole time.

It's great to hear he got in. Having something more to school than just class work is what really makes high school better, and makes them want to achieve something more. Not only that, he has his friends to go with him.

BTW, I'd suggest driving him to school when you can. Do you really want him near the other high school?

Thanks! :)

Sandra, the bus will pick him up about the same time that I drop him off at the middle school now, so he can stay in the car until the bus is actually there. Also, the thugs won't be hanging around that early because the bus will come about 45 minutes before school starts. Plus he won't be standing there all alone. At least 2 of his friends will be riding the bus with him, and there may be other kids who were accepted for Dance or Visual Art that he doesn't know about.

Soooo happy to see that he got in.....now you can BREATHE!!! :)

Congratulations to your son....I bet he's relieved as well...though he might not have mentioned it...

Have a GREAT week...

Congrats!!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

I knew he would get in!
A picture does tell a thousand words! The pics of him were so expressive , you could tell that he was good!

Congrats! :dance3: (I've been lurking on this thread for a few days, silently rooting for your son!)

I went to an arts high school (music), so I can appreciate how much it means to the high school experience to be able to do something you love at school. Yay! :flower3:

Thanks! :goodvibes
Now I definitely have to come up with some FABULOUS "celebration" components for the June trip. It isn't JUST 8th grade graduation - NOW it is being accepted to the Arts Magnet! :banana:

I looked at the envelope this AM. It was postmarked MONDAY. So Saturday it hadn't even been mailed yet, and there was pretty much no point in looking for it Monday, either. :rolleyes: Whatever. It's all good now. :cool1:

I told DH to take DS to the school today and take a photo of him with the school sign, holding his acceptance letter. We'll see if they actually go do that.

I absolutely CAN NOT wait for him to start enjoying this opportunity. He is going to meet so many amazing people, make so many fabulous friends, and do so many incredible things.

My one little nagging concern is making sure we have the right balance for his academics. I want him to be challenged, but I don't want him to be overwhelmed. He hardly ever has homework now - I mean hardly EVER. And the teachers always talk about what a shock the kids will get in high school. Um, hello? Should you not step it up a little with the homework so they will be more PREPARED? I know it will be more work than middle school, but I also don't want him to have SO much homework and need SO much tutoring that he gets burned out in the first semester! We are supposed to get a "recommended" schedule in mid-April, so that will be a good time to chat with a guidance counselor.

My one little nagging concern is making sure we have the right balance for his academics. I want him to be challenged, but I don't want him to be overwhelmed. He hardly ever has homework now - I mean hardly EVER. And the teachers always talk about what a shock the kids will get in high school. Um, hello? Should you not step it up a little with the homework so they will be more PREPARED? I know it will be more work than middle school, but I also don't want him to have SO much homework and need SO much tutoring that he gets burned out in the first semester! We are supposed to get a "recommended" schedule in mid-April, so that will be a good time to chat with a guidance counselor.

Definitely keep him on the recommended schedule....also, make sure that he gets in some community service during his High School years....as many top 10% students as we have in Texas, many schools are not guaranteeing that a student will be an "Assured Admit" even with that top 10% ranking. They'll be looking at his extracurricular activities as well. So many schools are looking to see what sets a student apart from his/her peers.

Definitely keep him on the recommended schedule....also, make sure that he gets in some community service during his High School years....as many top 10% students as we have in Texas, many schools are not guaranteeing that a student will be an "Assured Admit" even with that top 10% ranking. They'll be looking at his extracurricular activities as well. So many schools are looking to see what sets a student apart from his/her peers.

10% in a small school is, well, small! :rotfl2: Not sure what he would have to do to make top 10%. And I struggle with this: If he takes a full load of really HARD courses and doesn't do well, his GPA will be low. Maybe he should just take pre-AP in the courses he excels in, and take basic level for the others.

There is also the little issue of the school not offering basic level in some subjects. It was mentioned during the parent presentation (while the kids were in their auditions) that for the current school year they didn't HAVE basic level World Geography or basic level Biology. Hmm. So if he HAS to take those as pre-AP, do we really want to add a pre-AP English class? He will be carrying 9 classes - 4 core, 3 Theatre, Spanish (required), and Dance (to meet the PE requirement). Freshmen don't have much wiggle room in course selection. Middle school only has 7 classes, so he will be adding 2 classes and making the adjustment to high school in general. I just don't want to overload him by having him enrolled in 3 pre-AP courses. Like I said, I will talk with the guidance counselor. I bet she has heard those concerns from parents before, so hopefully she will have a thoughtful response.

Shoooose! Congratulations! I didn't want to post before you knew, but been there, done that. I was very lucky that I had a similar experience in high school. It changed who I am today. I can't imagine not having my creative outlet.

Time to go to Disney to celebrate!

Shoooose! Congratulations! I didn't want to post before you knew, but been there, done that. I was very lucky that I had a similar experience in high school. It changed who I am today. I can't imagine not having my creative outlet.

Time to go to Disney to celebrate!

We are leaving for WDW the day after school gets out. :banana:

So, DS returned to school yesterday. He was kind of excited to be done with Spring Break. He was anxious to tell his teachers his good news!

Well, another mom took it upon herself to e-mail the teachers over the break and tell them ALL of the kids who got in. :headache: So much for him being able to make the announcement HIMSELF!

I was also really, really UNhappy to find out that a kid I absolutely HATE, who has a history of bullying DS, has also been accepted. :mad: It is rare for me to HATE a kid, but this one deserves it. He auditioned at the last minute, on a whim, because he knew someone else who was auditioning. And looky there! He got in! :sad2: I can not think of a worse fit between school and kid. I will be interested to see how the school responds to him. He is disruptive and doesn't take anything seriously, which is going to be a HUGE problem. Not to mention that he is a bully. Luckily he is NOT in theater so I am hoping his contact with DS will be limited.

What I realized this morning is that there is absolutely NOTHING in the application/audition process that would allow them to screen out discipline problems. They probably figure the kids like that won't audition in the first place!

So, DS returned to school yesterday. He was kind of excited to be done with Spring Break. He was anxious to tell his teachers his good news!

Well, another mom took it upon herself to e-mail the teachers over the break and tell them ALL of the kids who got in. :headache: So much for him being able to make the announcement HIMSELF!

I was also really, really UNhappy to find out that a kid I absolutely HATE, who has a history of bullying DS, has also been accepted. :mad: It is rare for me to HATE a kid, but this one deserves it. He auditioned at the last minute, on a whim, because he knew someone else who was auditioning. And looky there! He got in! :sad2: I can not think of a worse fit between school and kid. I will be interested to see how the school responds to him. He is disruptive and doesn't take anything seriously, which is going to be a HUGE problem. Not to mention that he is a bully. Luckily he is NOT in theater so I am hoping his contact with DS will be limited.

What I realized this morning is that there is absolutely NOTHING in the application/audition process that would allow them to screen out discipline problems. They probably figure the kids like that won't audition in the first place!

Because this school is so hard to get into are they able to be less tolerant of behavior issues. In other words "shape up or ship out". Or no?

Glad to hear he's at least not in the same artistic discipline.

It's always somethin'.

Because this school is so hard to get into are they able to be less tolerant of behavior issues. In other words "shape up or ship out". Or no?

Glad to hear he's at least not in the same artistic discipline.

It's always somethin'.

I hope so. It will be a matter of whether or not the teachers and administrators see him for how he truly is. I hope they whip him into shape or send him back to the regular high school.

The thing is, this kid is one of those who is really sly. He bullies like a girl - much more of a psychological bully than a physical bully. So PROVING the bullying becomes a huge problem. The kids (for the most part) know he is a jerk and they avoid him. Never, never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined he would be going to the Arts magnet. It is such an ODD thing. His mother was making JOKES about him having to take dance for the PE credit. Hello? NOT a joke. Those kids are serious about being there. But like I said, there is nothing in the application to screen out the slackers. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter