The Boat may have sailed, but I continue to let Member Services know....

CCV has barely been declared so inventory is still limited.

:earsboy: Bill

I thought that before it’s declared, it means a lot is obviously unsold, and thus there is more of a chance of booking it. At least that’s what people kept saying with Poly, a year ago people were saying it’s easy to book now because it wasn’t all declared (which it is now, and still easy to book still in quiet DVC times)?

Walkers will be helped by the new tech that will allow modification online
We'll have to see how it's implemented and how it actually works in practice. If it works well, more will likely use it which should kill the option pretty quickly. But it should reduce phone calls. I can see the lost reservation threads now.

I thought that before it’s declared, it means a lot is obviously unsold, and thus there is more of a chance of booking it. At least that’s what people kept saying with Poly, a year ago people were saying it’s easy to book now because it wasn’t all declared (which it is now, and still easy to book still in quiet DVC times)?
They do it in phases, accordion like. They can't sell points unless they are declared so they'll declare a "unit" (usually not a single villa) as they need to. Once declared the "unit" is part of the club and available for reservations. We've had this running issue over the years regarding whether this is an easy or difficult time to reserve. My view is it's roughly equal to slightly easier. You have a constant excess of inventory but since we're talking a new resort, normally increased demand as well. Now if they were declaring inventory further our, like before the 7 month window, there would be clearly be excess inventory for those that owned there only assuming DVC didn't reserve the points they own for RCI deposits, rentals and the like.

I had not thought about it until your post, but maybe the number of walkers is too insignificant for DVC to care.

AKV (23) + BLT (30) + BWV (52) + CCV (78) + VGF (30) = 213

Even if every single one of those studios is being walked, 213 members is a fraction of the hundreds of thousands of DVC members.

Walking doesn't affect Disney's profits so they don't care.

:earsboy: Bill
People will eventually start doing it for booking categories that do not (and never will) require walking to get a reservation. Disney will care as more people start doing it because that will end up requiring more CMs,which will affect their profits. That's what caused the last change in booking rules. It used to be 11/7 months from check OUT date and now it is 11/7 months (+7) from check IN date.

I recall people calling day by day at 11 months to get SSR reservations (and that wasn't necessary for any villa or any date, including NYE back then). Fear of missing out is a powerful motivator. Holding times at MS were especially horrible in December & January - you couldn't even get through to Member Accounting to pay dues without waiting a loooooooooooong time. (That was the reason I never paid dues until first week of February. I hate waiting to give merchants money, LOL).

I've posted this before, but I do not think the planned software modifications will include the ability to drop and add nights. I think it is more likely to give us the ability to make name & address changes, add guests & perhaps add detailed requests. We'll see.

CarolMN, From what I heard, I definitely thought adding and subtracting days to a reservation was what was meant at the meeting. Now others even think changing resorts was meant, and that would require holding a reservation while canceling takes place. Obviously clarification is needed!

My husband has no issues with “walking” a reservation. He has issues with being cut out on stated booking date.

CarolMN, From what I heard, I definitely thought adding and subtracting days to a reservation was what was meant at the meeting. Now others even think changing resorts was meant, and that would require holding a reservation while canceling takes place. Obviously clarification is needed!
They may be correct. However, I don't recall reading about any specifics from anyone authorized to speak on behalf of DVC, so we'll have to wait and see. Perhaps there is some wishful thinking involved (maybe on my part, LOL).

My husband has no issues with “walking” a reservation. He has issues with being cut out on stated booking date.
I'd prefer that walking not be allowed (because I think it causes unnecessary complications to the system and to MS wait times). But since it is currently allowed, I don't feel any animosity to those who use it.

Not sure I understand your husband's position on walking, though. IMO, walking is one of the reasons why certain members are "shut out" on the day the booking window opens.

There will always be some shut out because more people want what is in limited supply. I prefer a "allocation method" that doesn't create unnecessary "chaos". To me, walkers are like the people who crowd the boarding area before their turn to board and make it difficult for others to get through. Unnecessary and makes the process less efficient.

Not sure I understand your husband's position on walking, though. IMO, walking is one of the reasons why certain members are "shut out" on the day the booking window opens.

There will always be some shut out because more people want what is in limited supply. I prefer a "allocation method" that doesn't create unnecessary "chaos". To me, walkers are like the people who crowd the boarding area before their turn to board and make it difficult for others to get through. Unnecessary and makes the process less efficient.

He is willing to walk so as not to be without a VGF reservation next December. He is walking. We will soon know if it was necessary. He will be finished tomorrow.

He is willing to walk so as not to be without a VGF reservation next December. He is walking. We will soon know if it was necessary. He will be finished tomorrow.
Got it. If I wanted a VGF studio, I'd do it too. ( Misunderstood what you were saying the first time). Sounds like you are set. :)

I just finished booking our next Holiday Season vacation at BWV, but didn't have to walk because we prefer 1 bedrooms over the studios.

Got it. If I wanted a VGF studio, I'd do it too. ( Misunderstood what you were saying the first time). Sounds like you are set. :)

I just finished booking our next Holiday Season vacation at BWV, but didn't have to walk because we prefer 1 bedrooms over the studios.

Good for you! We are in BWV 1 bedroom right now!

We prefer 1 bedrooms, but after the VGF stay, we wanted to be with friends at BRV... studios are gone or being walked as of December 1!!!!I was hoping to get them a studio.

Last edited:
BTW - here's what looks like it's being walked now (probably for Thanksgiving):

Standard studios: BLT, CCV, VGF, BWV
Value and Club studios at AKV-Jambo
How many rooms is that, total, compared to what's available?

This is a little funny. I had 2 of the std view studios at BLT 18-25 Nov (not walking). Plans changed. Canceled both ressies, rebooked 2 BR (only lakeview available) 21-25 Nov. Plans changed. In addition to the 2BR, we needed 1 std view studio at BLT 18-21 Nov--not all dates available :rolleyes: . (I eventually got the dates I needed for the std view studio using 3 ressies. :yay: )
Fingers crossed this plan will hold up!

My husband got us the standard view studio, December 1-5! We are set, he walked.

I would have been locked out. Today I would have been able to book a standard view 1 bedroom for a 2 night stay. 4 nights are better than 2.

I am conflicted about the walk, but it was allowed and worked. It took 3 phone calls.

I had not thought about it until your post, but maybe the number of walkers is too insignificant for DVC to care.

AKV (23) + BLT (30) + BWV (52) + CCV (78) + VGF (30) = 213

Even if every single one of those studios is being walked, 213 members is a fraction of the hundreds of thousands of DVC members.

I was thinking about this compared to the day by day booking we used to have. My sense is that "walking" doesn't tie up member services the way the day by day booking did. If you didn't call each day at opening time, you could end up with a hole in the middle of your reservation.

My husband got us the standard view studio, December 1-5! We are set, he walked.

I would have been locked out. Today I would have been able to book a standard view 1 bedroom for a 2 night stay. 4 nights are better than 2.

I am conflicted about the walk, but it was allowed and worked. It took 3 phone calls.

I just ducked into this thread again to see how you did. I am glad you were successful.

I was thinking about this compared to the day by day booking we used to have. My sense is that "walking" doesn't tie up member services the way the day by day booking did. If you didn't call each day at opening time, you could end up with a hole in the middle of your reservation.

The “holes” seem to be the reason they changed. Apparently having holes is worse than not getting the reservation. They could be right.

This is a little funny. I had 2 of the std view studios at BLT 18-25 Nov (not walking). Plans changed. Canceled both ressies, rebooked 2 BR (only lakeview available) 21-25 Nov. Plans changed. In addition to the 2BR, we needed 1 std view studio at BLT 18-21 Nov--not all dates available :rolleyes: . (I eventually got the dates I needed for the std view studio using 3 ressies. :yay: )
Fingers crossed this plan will hold up!

Way to go! That is how I pieced together our 1br std at BLT - day by day - at less than 7 months. Thing is, it does seem like availability changes a lot, even without walking. So it seems possible many times, to put together a stay in 7-11 months and even <7 months if you're willing to put in the effort day by day to stalk and drop everything to book a night when it opens up. And again, one has to have the points available to do that and potentially hold a backup reservation at another resort, if you're set on going at a specific time and it's not flexible.

I agree.

I started a walk for a Thanksgiving res but then changed my mind after a few modifications. Now, I have a new walk for a December res.

I've had very nice and somewhat chatty ladies for a few phone calls. 2 things seemed obvious to me after those phone calls.... I don't think they are bombarded with walkers daily and they didn't see it as a violation or attempt to "get away with something". One didn't even seem to recognize the reason why I was changing my dates. Who knows.

People will eventually start doing it for booking categories that do not (and never will) require walking to get a reservation. Disney will care as more people start doing it because that will end up requiring more CMs,which will affect their profits. That's what caused the last change in booking rules. It used to be 11/7 months from check OUT date and now it is 11/7 months (+7) from check IN date.

I recall people calling day by day at 11 months to get SSR reservations (and that wasn't necessary for any villa or any date, including NYE back then). Fear of missing out is a powerful motivator. Holding times at MS were especially horrible in December & January - you couldn't even get through to Member Accounting to pay dues without waiting a loooooooooooong time. (That was the reason I never paid dues until first week of February. I hate waiting to give merchants money, LOL).

I've posted this before, but I do not think the planned software modifications will include the ability to drop and add nights. I think it is more likely to give us the ability to make name & address changes, add guests & perhaps add detailed requests. We'll see.

I just don't understand how they would need more CMs for walkers that are making their own changes online...?

I do think more people will walk and it could get messy. Having to call is a good deterrent for some. I certainly don't like doing it and when I have more points or more flexible dates, I won't.

People will eventually start doing it for booking categories that do not (and never will) require walking to get a reservation...

I'm not so sure about this. I also own points at VGC and it is rare to find a sold out night there until the 7 month time frame opens up. Since there is more uncertainty with our family vacation days, I rarely make a reservation there at the 11 or even 10 month point at that resort.

I think being able to see availability online helps a lot.

I'm not so sure about this. I also own points at VGC and it is rare to find a sold out night there until the 7 month time frame opens up. Since there is more uncertainty with our family vacation days, I rarely make a reservation there at the 11 or even 10 month point at that resort.

I think being able to see availability online helps a lot.

They did it in the past when the windows were 11 or 7 months from check out. I think that it is reasonable to expect that they will eventually do it for 11 or 7 months from check in. The competition for certain limited booking categories is only growing more intense, IMO, walking is more emotional than logical and depends on a person's "risk tolerance". Seeing availability online (especially since we can't see true availability) doesn't help those folks who aren't willing to take some risk, lol.

I just don't understand how they would need more CMs for walkers that are making their own changes online...? .......
We have different assumptions. You believe that the online system enhancements will include the ability to drop and add nights without doing a cancel and rebook. I am assuming otherwise, which means members will still have to call to walk. (Kind of hope you are right, though).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter