Mouseketeer
The Brophy Family Cruise on the Disney Wonder
January 20 – 24, 2002

The Cast – all first timer cruisers
Me and DH, mid-forties
DD age 12
DS age just three weeks shy of 11

Entertainment
Lots of great piano players! Although we spent a set in the Cadillac Lounge with Kenne and had to leave after he murdered his fourth song. He could play well, but he reminded my dh of Andy Williams in his cavalier way with lyrics and tunes.
Started into the Seventies dance party, but was turned back by a wall of cigarette smoke (dh insists it was mostly smoke generated by smoke machines for ambience). It was very thick whatever it was.

Liked Hercules and Disney Dreams, although I think I was expecting more based on the reviews. DH who hadn’t read the reviews thought they were quite good. The never ending talk by the Cruise Director before Hercules (he must have said “just one more thing” five times) was annoying, but I suppose necessary. Saw Snow Dogs and Royal Tennenbaums. Liked Snow Dogs and fell asleep during a bit of RT (a combination of exhaustion and non-interest). I did really like the idea of seeing first run movies for “free.” We enjoyed the band at the Goofy Pool. I feel like we didn’t get to do all there was to do onboard and so there will be plenty more to try when we go again.

Weather
The weather was perfect. Highs in the high 70’s to low 80’s. Sunny every day. We never needed our jackets or sweaters. Water at CC was warm enough to get right in. It was particularly wonderful to think of everyone shoveling snow back in Philly.

Wine Tasting
We enjoyed this very much. Got to taste six nice wines, get a pin and learn something too. We signed up for this the first day at Guest Services.

The Spa
We really liked the spa. We got the rainforest pass ($45 for 4 days) and we shouldn’t have as we only had the time to use it twice. But we did love it and spent a whole lot of time in there. For the most part, we were alone or with only one or two other people. Very relaxing.

The surial bath was a hoot. Lots of good muddy fun! No one tried to sell us any products, which I was glad of, as we were in a hurry to get back to our room .
A tip from dh: Turn on the steam right away before you start your mud stuff, so it has time to fill the room. The hour goes real fast.

Disembarkation
I bolted out of bed at 5:05 a.m. on the last morning to see us dock but we were already there. Very sad. DH and I went to deck 9 for coffee, then watched from the prow as two other cruise ships docked. We woke two very reluctant kids at 6:30, and were at Triton’s by 7. The breakfast was terrible. Maybe they did it on purpose to ease our way back into the real world.

After a quick trip to Shutters to check the photo of us taken at Palo’s, we got in line to exit the ship. Grab a porter, grab our bags, out into the terminal. Hey, where was customs? Oh, that one man was it? Well, that certainly was painless.

Our porter accompanied us across the street to the parking lot where Jack from Tiffany awaited. We were off the ship at 8:05 and in the airport at 8:55. We checked in for our 12:20 flight. A few minutes later we thought to ask if we could get on an earlier flight, and we could have, but our luggage would arrive after us and some special paperwork would be required. Ah, never mind.

Orlando airport is a comfortable place to while away a few hours. Security lines looked long, but only took about 5 minutes to get through (at about 11:30 a.m.). I got pulled aside this time and wanded, but I did not have to remove my shoes.

We board on time and pull away from the gate. The flight attendant announces: “The captain has designated this a homework flight, so if any of you kids have homework, get your pencils out now.” Lots of laughter, but groans from my kids who actually DID have homework to do. More groans from the parents when we were told due to weather in Philly, we would be delayed for 45 minutes.

We arrive safe and sound in Philly only 10 minutes behind schedule. The captain made two more announcements about homework and insisted that it would be checked at the end of the flight. Pretty funny.

Tips from this Board that worked (or would have if I had used them):
Over the door shoe hanger: actually, I purchased a hangup bath accessory holder from the dollar store (same as a shoe holder, except the pockets say things like “sponge” and “shampoo” and at the top is a regular hanger). We hung this on the wall outside of the bathroom where there was a hook. This was a wonderful place to store fsr’s, sunglasses, etc. Packed flat and the price was right! 

Charge your tips before the last day: We noticed very long lines the last day of the cruise. The day before we walked right up.

Put kids’ bathing suits in carryon: The only time the Mickey pool wasn’t mobbed was in the first hours of the first day.

Bring water shoes for CC: really wished we had done this. Very painful “sand.’

Watch the disembarkation talk on TV: much nicer to listen to sitting on your own couch, sipping you mocha/coffee. Our lunch tablemates were mad that they wasted valuable fun time going to it; they didn’t know it was on TV. Thanks, all!

Use a baggage handler to get through customs faster: This was a great tip and well worth the (money) tip.

Bring a steamer iron: the laundry room iron wasn’t very good and there was often a line to use it.

Use Dreams Unlimited: Donna and the gang at DU saved me $700 when the price dropped.

What I wouldn’t do next time:
Get off the ship in Nassau
Take Tiffany – I believe I would rent a car from Avis
Buy a Rainforest Pass – just wasn’t time to use it everyday
Buy soda and wine – we didn’t open either bottle and left most of the soda
Pack dress socks for dh

Well, thanks for reading. It was a terrific cruise and I can’t wait to go again! Thanks to all who patiently shared their knowledge with me – that knowledge made my cruise even more special.

Enjoyed your report!

(Although now I'm a little paranoid about remembering my son's socks....:rolleyes: )

Thanks for posting!

We used TTC when we flew to WDW a couple of years ago. We were very pleased with our driver, but I understand your aggravation with the smoke smell. Our driver took us to a Winn Dixie, but of course, we were headed in the other direction from you. Perhaps Jack really didn't know where to take you?
What made Tiffany so nice for us was that we saw how early folks had to pile onto those Mears buses for the ride back to the airport. We had a MUCH nicer ride and left later too.

Your report really got me psyched up for our cruise in May. It'll be #3 for us, but I am addicted to reading the trip reports. Thanks for the great tips and all the work and effort you put into this report. I think I'll look into getting a small steamer - ruined my DD's blouse on 1st cruise and hoped irons had improved.

Thanks for the great report. I loved reading all the details to get me through until our Dec. cruise and make notes of things I have forgotten from our last cruise...for instance bringing watershoes for CC. You mentionned that concerige passengers get to preboard the ship? I didn't know that...we are booked in a Cat. 3 this time around. Thanks again for sharing your trip!!

Great detailed trip report! Hubby also forgot to pack his dress socks and wore his regular grey sports socks and was SO upset about it even though no one ever saw his socks :)

Glad you had a great trip, thanks for taking the time to post!:bounce:

WOW! What a wealth of info, thank you very much. I love reading all the WONDERful things people have to say on these boards, it helps to pass the time until our FIRST sailing on Halloween! I was excited to see that you said the water at CC was "warm enough to get right in". Everyone seems to say how freezing cold the water is. Thanks again for the GREAT trip report!!

Kim

Can you tell me more about coffee on deck 9? My parents will be travelling with us and they are big coffee drinkers. I think they would enjoy some private time like this. Is it a beverage station? Are there tables,chairs, nice view?
Thanks!

Sure thing! It is on deck 9 aft, just outside the Beach Blanket Buffet on the Wonder. It's open 24 hours. It is a beverage station which offers coffee (reg and decaf), water, milk, hot chocolate (in packs) and a nice variety of tea bags (maybe 10 -12 different kinds, both reg tea and herbal). There are styrofoam cups and lids.

I'm a decaf coffee drinker (and sometimes decaf can be just awful) and I thought the coffee tasted just dandy.

It is in a covered area, but outside, and there are plenty of tables and chairs with lovely views nearby. Wonderful! :)

Hi Neighbor...thank so much for your report!! We're from Bensalem and will be leaving for our Magical trip in April and can't wait! Funny just how close people can be on these boards!!

Thanks for your terrific report! I can hardly wait to get back on the Wonder in May!

I really enjoyed reading about your trip! Sounds like you had a great time. Our next cruise is coming up soon (3/23) and its nice to read about other people's trip to get us all psyched up for our own. Thanks for posting! :)

I really enjoyed reading your reports....lets me make notes and decisions before I even get to cruise....I'm sure the time and money I save with rreports like yours will be immeasureable...

Thanks for taking the time....

PS we live just minutes from you at home....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter