The Buck Stops Here: A Buck Hit My Car

I am so sorry you and the deer collided! I almost collided with one on my way to work last week. It was a really foggy morning. I was traveling on a 4 lane road (2 lanes in each direction). I was in the right hand lane when a deer ran out from the median into traffic. It ran in front of a van to my front left, then ran in front of the car in front of me. That car hit it. The deer jumped up on that car’s hood, jumped off, and ran in front of my car. I had slowed down when I first saw the deer and was able to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting it. Luckily it was pretty early in the morning and no one was behind me. Had it happened 20 minutes later, I would have been rear ended.

The driver that hit the deer pulled over - very shaken up. I hope you are ok, and I’m very sorry this happened to you.

I hit one (actually it hit me) about 15 years ago. Scared the life out of me! Crazy thing was that it happened on a hot May afternoon....not typical. They are beautiful animals, but I don't like them at all.

Glad you are okay.

My nightmare day was when I was moving, a deer ran into my car.
Totaled my car and the deer didn't make it.
I was a long way away from my destination and it was an ordeal getting there.
10 years ago now and it is still very fresh in my mind.
There was a 2 mile stretch along the freeway without deer fencing......lucky me :(

I was driving very early one morning on a dark Florida panhandle backroad, and one flashed in and out of my headlights. It was better than a quadruple espresso to wake me up!

I hit a deer at 75 MPH on the interstate in a Honda Accord. Had a tractor trailer on both sides of me and behind me so I couldn’t really do anything but hit it full speed.

I was worried it was going to roll up the hood but it shot straight up came straight back down and the truck behind me rolled over it.

Ended up with $1400 in damage but that was years ago before fronts of cars got filled with expensive sensors.

I hit a deer at 75 MPH on the interstate in a Honda Accord. Had a tractor trailer on both sides of me and behind me so I couldn’t really do anything but hit it full speed.

I was worried it was going to roll up the hood but it shot straight up came straight back down and the truck behind me rolled over it.

Ended up with $1400 in damage but that was years ago before fronts of cars got filled with expensive sensors.
A61A25FF-F0DE-41FE-8E87-9E160159C010.jpeg

I was driving very early one morning on a dark Florida panhandle backroad, and one flashed in and out of my headlights. It was better than a quadruple espresso to wake me up!
I've had that experience, also. Driving to work early, foggy, a deer came flying down the hill just off the road and hit the front corner of my car, it rolled on it's back on the hood, up and over the car, and off the back. I stopped, it got up and trotted off. Now my memory seems mostly to be "did that really happen?"

I know it did, it left a crease across the hood of my car.

Thanks. I see them every day/evening at work, and where it happened it isn’t far from my work. It was after 11 pm and this is going to sound crazy but:
I saw him running in the corner of my eye and I said no no n, it was like slow motion then he hit and then it was real time and did a flip and kept moving.

Pffff.... You were in a cage. 2 Fridays ago I had one hit me on the motorcycle. Knocked me over to the center line, but didn't put me down.

Now that is what I call exciting! seeing a deer head appear in your headlight when you can't see with a stream of soccer moms and brodozers are rolling by with their blazing LED headlights.

I've actually had deer run into me, twice. I'm pretty good at avoiding them when they're in the road, but when they come bounding at you from the side, there's nothing to do. One deer just loped away, the other, I have no clue.

Back when we lived rural, DH and I were both in the fire department. The rule was, the first firefighter on the scene got the deer, if the person who hit it didn't want it. We got a deer that way, and one that DH hit that didn't survive, we ate him, too. It would be a shame to waste good venison. The venison we currently have in the freezer, we got the old-fashioned way (DH shot them).

So the other night, a Buck and my car collided and we all lived to tell the tale.

I’ve never an encounter like that with wild life and I hope to not do it again.

Gotta love Rut season.

Dad?

JK. Same thing happened to my father on Wednesday night. 😕 Messed up the front of his Cadillac.

My deer accident sounds pretty similar only I was driving my Honda odyssey in PA north of Mansfield. We were on our way to a lacrosse tournament at 11 at night. A huge buck was just standing in my lane two tractor trailers in the right hand lane. I hit that sucker at 80 miles an hour and still had to drive a mile before I could safely pull over. My daughter slept through it all. The car was not totaled but it never drove the same after the repair work. I have PTSD from that and I worry all the time about driving at night having a deer in the road.

DH and I were driving home around midnight in separate cars from the same party. He was in front of me in the slow lane, I was in the fast lane. He hit a deer and it fell into my lane, where I proceeded to run over it 😕. First time for both of us.

A deer ran into my mom many years ago. She never saw it, it didn't run in front of her. She was just driving down the road and *boom* - something hit her passenger side hard. She stopped and saw a deer's back end running off into the woods. She got home - she was barely a half-mile from the house, literally right around the corner - to assess the damage. Her passenger side door was completely caved in, deer hairs stuck in the rips in the creases (no blood, though), and the mirror was gone. The door wouldn't open at all. She called the police, for a report for insurance, and animal control went out to look for the deer but never found it. Took 2 weeks to fix her car - I think they had to order a completely new door.

Thankfully you're ok.

19 years ago I was driving home from work and hit a large buck going about 60mph. Totaled my VW Fox adn the deer. Thankfully that car was built of heavy steel and the hood flew up, preventing the deer from joining me in the front seat. In addition to a totaled car I was left with residual back pain that never went away, and a career/educational change. Fun.

There are deer everywhere the past few weeks at night. Really have to be careful. Just assume they are around every corner.

If you see one, slow down--it's the second one, that you don't see, that you'll hit.

The first one that hit me, it hit the driver side door. He took out my mirror and I actually felt the impact, through the door. Like a PP, my DD slept through the whole thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter