The Caribbean vs Europe

We did Norway, Iceland and Scotland last year with DCL and strongly enjoyed our cruise. I'm sure you will enjoy too !

We simply haven't done Europe because honestly I don't trust them with the ever changing policies regarding health requirements in addition to Russia currently. That being said we are not locked in to DCL where they don't really have much for options regarding exciting ports. Just got off NCL out of the Haven where we stopped in Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, St Lucia, St Kitts, San Juan all in 7 days which Disney doesn't essentially ever visit half those ports.
I'm living in Europe, and the health requirements were changing during the international epidemic of Covid like everywhere in the world. Now, stability came back.
We will be on the Southern Carribean cruise on the Disney Magic begining of may from San Juan. I reserved it with a great GT rate. It will stop exactly in the same ports than your cruise but in 8 days.

Last edited:
We did Norway, Iceland and Scotland last year with DCL and strongly enjoyed our cruise. I'm sure you will enjoy too !
We were there with you!
We were disappointed that we were not able to go to Isafjorder but did get to enjoy more in Reykjavik.

Ask yourself do you want a chill, beach vibe vacaton as a getaway from colder weather vs. a sight seeing, experience vacation?

Totally disagree on 8 being too young for any experience.

Our DCL cruise in Northern Europe (Norway, Iceland, and Scotland) was my favorite trip ever. Our cruises out of Florida don't even rank in the top 10. I'd 100% use the discount on one of the European itineraries. Those tend to be quite expensive.
We were on that sailing too, came home with a gift of Covid, lol. but we were ok. I looooved that sailing- probably one of my favorites. Oh the memories. And we got great weather. I heard had we left a day before of after, we would have traveled with the rain. But here weather is a luck thing.

But that itinerary is not comparable to let's say a Med sailing. You cant bundle all European sailings into a group. Couldnt pay me to do a Med sailing. (to exhausting and does no justice to those ports). If I go to Rome, I'm staying a few days there for example.

The Northern sailings take you to smaller towns and more scenic stuff, less hectic and doable for a day stop. IMO, anything that stops at a Metropolis/ large city is just not worth it.

I took my son on a cruise to Iceland and Norway when he was 7 and he had a blast. He still talks about the iceberg we saw. With that being said, I don’t think you’d go wrong with either itinerary. But it sounds like you aren’t too keen on the Caribbean cruise and it’s important that you enjoy the cruise, too.

The Norwegian ban on non-electric ships only affects the UNESCO Worldheritage site of the West Norwegian Fjords. This is Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord. A tiny part of the whole fjord landscape. I think there are restrictions in place already for vessels with less environmental systems which is why the Magic already doesn’t go there. So, DCL will still be able to offer the same cruises as now. I also read that the ban doesn’t come I to effect until 2026. And I would expect that there will be excursions offered that can take you to these places on some cruises.

It’s discussed in this article but you can Google it for more information. Most recent articles say 2024 is the last year to cruise non-electric but some say 2025. https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidn...wegian-fjords-cruise-in-2023/?sh=79f7264f5ef8
It’s only two fjords though, Flam and Gerainger. It shouldn’t stop cruises to Norway as Disney can use other ports. And it seems to be 2026 it comes into effect. (Royal are definitely going to Gerainger next year.)

I found some articles about the ban.
It starts in 2026 and is mainly for UNESCO World Heritage Fjords.

https://whc.unesco.org/en/news/1824

https://www.marinelink.com/news/catching-cruise-offguard-norways-466482

There have been protests in other ports about cruise ships which may influence Disney.
This could be why Disney is docking in Sandnes instead of Stavanger this year. I am not saying it is because I do not have any knowledge of it but that it could just be one reason why.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/norway-anticruise-poster-campaign-b2125605.html

This could be why Disney is docking in Sandnes instead of Stavanger this year. I am not saying it is because I do not have any knowledge of it but that it could just be one reason why.
Another guess could be that the bigger ship (Dream) can better be accommodated in Sandnes? I looked at a map and it seems the two towns are only 10 miles apart... If protesters want to hit cruise ships wouldn't they just follow them that short distance?

Another guess could be that the bigger ship (Dream) can better be accommodated in Sandnes? I looked at a map and it seems the two towns are only 10 miles apart... If protesters want to hit cruise ships wouldn't they just follow them that short distance?
According to Cruise Mapper, Stavanger can handle two of the worlds largest cruise ships simultaneously.

I was just thinking Disney was trying to avoid any protests. Again, it is just my thoughts and yes protesters can easily
travel the 10 miles and maybe they did but Stavanger is the main port that most cruise ships dock at. Sadnes must just be a sub port to Stavanger. And maybe the article that listed Stavanger gouped Sandnes in with Stavanger as they are so close. I was also thinking Stavanger might be full that day but Cruise Mapper only shows 1 ship at Stavanger
for August 24 and not Disney but an AIDAnova ship.

Cruise mapper does not even list Sandnes as a port. But it also shows the Dream stopping at Sandnessjoen on
August 24 while Disney is showing Sandnes (Stavanger). I think i will believe believe Disney.

According to Cruise Mapper, Stavanger can handle two of the worlds largest cruise ships simultaneously.

I was just thinking Disney was trying to avoid any protests. Again, it is just my thoughts and yes protesters can easily
travel the 10 miles and maybe they did but Stavanger is the main port that most cruise ships dock at. Sadnes must just be a sub port to Stavanger. And maybe the article that listed Stavanger gouped Sandnes in with Stavanger as they are so close. I was also thinking Stavanger might be full that day but Cruise Mapper only shows 1 ship at Stavanger
for August 24 and not Disney but an AIDAnova ship.

Cruise mapper does not even list Sandnes as a port. But it also shows the Dream stopping at Sandnessjoen on
August 24 while Disney is showing Sandnes (Stavanger). I think i will believe believe Disney.
Interesting! Thanks for the additional research! Cruise mapper does the weirdest things sometimes, so I would go with Disney, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter