The Dirty Dozen – 12 Days of Disney, Drinks & Dining - Updated 2/26

What a fun Star Wars day. Love your shirt and Casey's ears. Glad you had such a fun experience at Oga's. That CM sounds fantastic. I'm sure it's more complicated than I make it in my mind what with needing to accommodate thousands of visitors and what not but I had such high hopes for Oga's that just weren't (or at least haven't) been realized. I do enjoy the fuzzy tauntaun, though!

Needing to wash down our salty wiener (promise that was the last time) we sauntered over to Oga’s Cantina for some overpriced very well themed libations.
:rotfl2:
We still haven't made it to Oga's, but I'm encouraged by your better experience this time around! Overpriced drinks I can deal with. Drinking anything in Chicago is overpriced, so it's not as much of a shell-shock for me!

This is a combination of Lemon Lime Powerade, Wild Strawberry, Blueberry, and Green Apple Popping Pearls which sounds absolutely vile to me but when your drink does this and you are 10 its absolute nirvana.
Agreed. This sounds disgusting, but I know a certain 12 year old boy who would be first in line!

This is described as Crispy Galaxy Snack Bits with Spiced Chermoula Dip but beyond that we really didn’t know what we were eating.
All in all I’d say it was decent considering we had no clue what it was.
It looks cool at least! :) I haven't seen this particular item, but it sounds more like something we'd try than the other snack options I've seen people share from Oga's.

Oops, meant to comment above how much it sucks that your time with your brother was cut short for mandated groom time. When did grooms become so needy!?

This is described as Crispy Galaxy Snack Bits with Spiced Chermoula Dip but beyond that we really didn’t know what we were eating. The bits definitely had some veggie chips in there and maybe some sesame bites but we also found pieces of merengue which was just odd. The spicy tomato sauce was good and reminiscent of something you’d find at Sanaa. All in all I’d say it was decent considering we had no clue what it was.

Sounds interesting...I think I'd want to know more about this before indulging lol...but seems like you had a good Oga's experience this time! Worth it if you can get in there I guess...and you get lucky with your server!! Casey's drink looked pretty cool and I'm not 10 lol

But we somehow went on without him and spent most of our morning in Batuu. We were able to do Smugglers Run and ride Rise again, and this time we thankfully got the full experience. Casey and I even had a photo shoot for our next album cover.
Definitely album cover worthy!
All of this galactic activity got our bellies rumbling so we subbed last night’s balls with a wiener. Meet the Ronto Wrap, Roasted Pork, Grilled Pork Sausage, Peppercorn Sauce, and Tangy Slaw wrapped in Pita Bread.
Yours looks so much better than the one Jack got. He had one very small slice of the roast pork.
And boy were we glad we did. Our server (shout out to Pham) was amazing! He was simultaneously into the Star Wars schtick but also in on the joke so he had the perfect blend of authenticity and witty banter. He also picked on Casey incessantly (which of course she loved). He kept telling her she was sketchy and walking by and putting coasters and napkins on her head and sticking straws through her ears. He totally made the experience.
Great CMs make the experience at Oga's.
Unlike my husband I learned from our last trip and this time went with the Fuzzy Tauntaun with Cîroc Peach Vodka, Bols Peach Schnapps, Simply® Orange with Tangerine, Pure Cane Sugar, and "Buzz Button Tingling" Foam.
For a pre mixed drink, it wasn't too bad. Just too expensive especially with our 25% exchange rate!
Pham also brought Casey a cup of the tingling foam so she could get in on the numbing action.
Thta was awesome!
This is described as Crispy Galaxy Snack Bits with Spiced Chermoula Dip but beyond that we really didn’t know what we were eating. The bits definitely had some veggie chips in there and maybe some sesame bites but we also found pieces of merengue which was just odd. The spicy tomato sauce was good and reminiscent of something you’d find at Sanaa. All in all I’d say it was decent considering we had no clue what it was.
We saw people order that when we were at Oga's but had our hearts set on Baseline. You know, the place you need to head to in December. You will love it! :)

First - I would buy that album. Let me know if you are going to tour. I happen to know an AMAZING stage manager (ahem...ME) who will make your life ROCK on tour.

Second - I love Ogas! I always get the Yub Nub and it makes me happy. When I took my nephew in June, he managed to try ALL of the non-alcoholic drinks. The one Casey had was his second favorite.

Third - I just booked a last minute trip for Thanksgiving. Any chance you will be there?

What a fun Star Wars day. Love your shirt and Casey's ears.
Thanks Christine. Jason is the Star Wars lover in the family but Casey and I enjoyed channeling his fandom for him.

I'm sure it's more complicated than I make it in my mind what with needing to accommodate thousands of visitors and what not but I had such high hopes for Oga's that just weren't (or at least haven't) been realized. I do enjoy the fuzzy tauntaun, though!
I'm right there with ya. It had so much potential and certainly is pretty cool but it could have been so much more. At the very least make it larger and make drinks to order.

We still haven't made it to Oga's, but I'm encouraged by your better experience this time around! Overpriced drinks I can deal with. Drinking anything in Chicago is overpriced, so it's not as much of a shell-shock for me!
Yeah drinks are expensive here too but $14 for a beer made my wallet play dead. But that said this experience was so much better and a lot of fun. You all should definitely try it at least once

Agreed. This sounds disgusting, but I know a certain 12 year old boy who would be first in line!
:rotfl: Our children certainly enjoy some of the same tastes

Oops, meant to comment above how much it sucks that your time with your brother was cut short for mandated groom time. When did grooms become so needy!?
We do get to spend part of the next day with him, but neither he nor I knew that this wedding came with a 5 day mandatory itinerary. He was so miserable he really didn't even enjoy himself that much. Plus they were traveling in packs of 20+ most of the time so you can imagine what that must have been like.

Sounds interesting...I think I'd want to know more about this before indulging lol...but seems like you had a good Oga's experience this time! Worth it if you can get in there I guess...and you get lucky with your server!! Casey's drink looked pretty cool and I'm not 10 lol
We were just hungry so we blindly ordered one of the whole 2 items they had but thankfully it was pretty good. I'd actually lucked out and scored the reservation the day before. I'd been looking for SciFi because it's Jason favorite and grabbed Ogas as soon as I saw it.

Yours looks so much better than the one Jack got. He had one very small slice of the roast pork.
I remembered you all hadn't loved yours. We got this early in the day (like 10:30) so maybe because it was so early ours came out better :confused3

For a pre mixed drink, it wasn't too bad. Just too expensive especially with our 25% exchange rate!
I never even thought about the exchange rate on top of the already ridiculous prices. Thats gotta add up quick.

We saw people order that when we were at Oga's but had our hearts set on Baseline. You know, the place you need to head to in December. You will love it! :)
I know we will. I really have no idea why we haven't been.

First - I would buy that album. Let me know if you are going to tour. I happen to know an AMAZING stage manager (ahem...ME) who will make your life ROCK on tour.
Sounds perfect. I'll be sure to send you the list of our tour dates and cities. You'll be shocked to know we begin and end the tour in Orlando.

Second - I love Ogas! I always get the Yub Nub and it makes me happy. When I took my nephew in June, he managed to try ALL of the non-alcoholic drinks. The one Casey had was his second favorite.
Wow! That is a lot of drinks. Which one was his favorite? Casey usually takes 2-3 sips out of her drinks so no chance she'd be up to more than 1

Third - I just booked a last minute trip for Thanksgiving. Any chance you will be there?
How fun!!! I wish we'd be there but we'll likely just be missing you. We're going the first week in December. Between covid Christmas last year and I was down with the flu for Christmas the year prior I told Jason he will get me to Disney for some much needed Xmas magic

Rush Hour

Dinner tonight was at one of favorite Disney dining destination, California Grill. As we waited for our table we took some glamour shots on the steps of the Contemporary.

Though some were clearly more glamorous than others.

Soon enough we were whisked up to the California Grill and were promptly seated at the worst table in the entire restaurant. Our table was basically in the middle of the room next to the exit to one of the balcony’s.

Now I should have asked to me moved, but my let’s not rock the boat husband said it would be fine. For those following at home apparently fine in this case is defined as people constantly walking by our table while we "enjoy" our meal. At some point they closed the balcony due to weather but did that keep them away? Of course not! Though in a bit of cosmic karma people could go out but couldn't get back in and we may or may not have pretended that we didn't notice :rolleyes1

And before I leave my table rant lest I forget our other view of a Piggly Wiggly advertisement.

Signature dining at its finest.

But onto happier memories. BREAD.

Warm, buttery sourdough bread. There is really little better than warm fresh bread and I’m pretty sure we devoured every crumb of this.

And of course we needed some drinks to wash all those carbohydrates down.

My old fashioned man went with the Sonoma Maple Bourbon Old Fashioned which is Sonoma Distilling Co. Bourbon, Vanilla Maple Syrup, Angostura Bitters and Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries with an Orange Twist.

Jason of course loved this and I was a firm I didn’t hate it. After years of wearing my taste buds down I’m finally coming around to all things whiskey and bourbon.

And my new fashioned tastes ordered the St. Fresca’s with Patrón Silver Tequila, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, Strawberry Simple Syrup, Strawberry Water, Tajín Chile-Lime Seasoning and a Viola Flower.

This was really good and nicely balanced. Just the right amount of boozy with a hint of spice and not too sweet. Now that I think of it that sounds just like me :drinking1

In the appetizer department we shared the Alaskan King Crab Tart with Asparagus, Blood Orange, Baby Fennel, Petite Mesclun and Citrus Vinaigrette.

This was my choice and I loved it. The king crab and pastry were fantastic and paired really well with the asparagus and citrus flavors. Unfortunately I was alone on tart island as Jason thought the asparagus tasted like canned peas and Casey said she likes “our crab” (aka Maryland blue crabs) better. At least I’m raising a girl with a Chesapeake Bay heart.

Before we’d even finished our appetizers, our entrees arrived which is a huge pet peeve of mine. We often won't even order entrees until after we've gotten our appetizer to ensure a leisurely meal, but at signature restaurants that is usually not necessary. Clearly CG didn't get the memo.

For his main course my usual fat and gristle loving carnivore ventured to the lean side and ordered the Oak-fired Filet of Beef with Jumbo Asparagus, Spring Onion Vinaigrette, Aligot Potatoes and Fig-Onion Demi.

Perfectly cooked beef with a nice oaky smoke paired with a vibrant onion vinaigrette and creamy mashed potatoes. Yum! This was a real winner.

I ordered the Halibut with Wild Alaskan Halibut with Purple Hasselback Potatoes, Spring Vegetable Succotash, Bacon, Ramps and Corn Nectar.

This was outstanding! The halibut was nicely seared and the succotash and ramp combination paired really well with it. Strangely for me the corn nectar really made this dish. I don’t love corn thanks in part to my mother who literally made it every day one summer, but this creamy and rich nectar really brightened up the fish.

Casey branched out on her own and got the California Combination Roll for her entrée.

$27 for my kiddo to eat sushi was a little extreme but she was quite pleased with her selection. Though she would like you all to know that the shrimp actually tasted like a soft shell crab :confused3

Nothing on the dessert menu was speaking to us so we decided to skip dessert and cut our table losses.

Overall our food tonight was great but our experience was just off. The table was horrible and the whole meal felt really rushed. I like a long leisurely meal and we were in and out of CG in less than an hour. We’ll definitely be back at some point, but with their shift to a price fix menu we won’t be in any rush.

Up next, our triumphant lounge return.

Last edited:
Ugh. Getting the entree before the apps are done is a huge pet peeve of mine too. But wow does everything you had look delicious! If something made you like corn, that is an accomplishment!! And that cocktail sounds right up my alley -- hopefully it's still on the menu. I'm not sure what to make of the new prix fixe menu. I'm sure I'll try it but generally prefer to be able to order whatever vs. being locked into an app, entree and dessert. I am decidedly not someone who orders water and a salad and holds the table for two hours to watch fireworks but it's my understanding that is the kind of behavior that prompted the shift. Love seeing Casey making her own ordering decisions. She is quite the gourmet!

people constantly walking by our table while we "enjoy" our meal.
That would be super-annoying. The table next to kitchen door is another bad one.
And my new fashioned tastes ordered the St. Fresca’s with Patrón Silver Tequila, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, Strawberry Simple Syrup, Strawberry Water, Tajín Chile-Lime Seasoning and a Viola Flower.
This looks really good, although I think I'd skip the spice.
In the appetizer department we shared the Alaskan King Crab Tart with Asparagus, Blood Orange, Baby Fennel, Petite Mesclun and Citrus Vinaigrette.
I think this looks good, too. ::yes::
Before we’d even finished our appetizers, our entrees arrived which is a huge pet peeve of mine.
I hate when they do that. My husband asked our waiter at Citrico's to make sure we have finished our appetizers before he serves the entrees and I think our waiter was a little offended about that.
Casey branched out on her own and got the California Combination Roll for her entrée.
Smart girl! She looks happy with her choice.

IMG_4478.gif
You both look great!

d were promptly seated at the worst table in the entire restaurant. Our table was basically in the middle of the room next to the exit to one of the balcony’
ugh. I am somewhere in between you both. I don't like to make a stink but when I decide to I make a stink! But didn't they know who you weree!?!? Why would they put you there?!?! really, just rude!

Though in a bit of cosmic karma people could go out but couldn't get back in and we may or may not have pretended that we didn't notice :rolleyes1
Ha!

forget our other view of a Piggly Wiggly advertisement.
Classy!

That sounds perrfect!

This was my choice and I loved it.
It looks so pretty!

Casey said she likes “our crab” (aka Maryland blue crabs) better. At least I’m raising a girl with a Chesapeake Bay heart.
Keeping it close to home!

Clearly CG didn't get the memo.
This sounds like they are off there game this night. I wonder if it has to do with new staff? I feel like back in the day CC would never have done that.

$27 for my kiddo to eat sushi was a little extreme but she was quite pleased with her selection. Though she would like you all to know that the shrimp actually tasted like a soft shell crab :confused3
you are going to start dreading the fact that you have trained her to eat fancy food! Your pocket is going to start really hurting the older she gets.

I like a long leisurely meal and we were in and out of CG in less than an hour. We’ll definitely be back at some point, but with their shift to a price fix menu we won’t be in any rush.
Just think prefix... Casey's $28 sushi will seem like a steal!

Dinner tonight was at one of favorite Disney dining destination, California Grill. As we waited for our table we took some glamour shots on the steps of the Contemporary.
Simply beautiful! This needs to be in a frame ❤
Though some were clearly more glamorous than others.
Love it! Casey looks like she's about to burst her giggly bag 🤣
we were whisked up to the California Grill and were promptly seated at the worst table in the entire restaurant.
Noooooo hate that!
my let’s not rock the boat husband said it would be fine.
I married one of those too.:rotfl2:
Though in a bit of cosmic karma people could go out but couldn't get back in and we may or may not have pretended that we didn't notice :rolleyes1
LOL you're bad to the bone Mrs :rotfl2:
And before I leave my table rant lest I forget our other view of a Piggly Wiggly advertisement.
Signature dining at its finest.
Seriously :confused3 I suppose it could have been worse - I mean he could have been wearing a tablecloth and napkins...:scared1::rotfl2:
At least I’m raising a girl with a Chesapeake Bay heart.
Aw that Casey knows her food alright though every time someone mentions Chesapeake Bay I feel like I should pour myself a glass of cabernet and put on West Wing. Bit of a case of Pavlov's dog reaction but there you have it-party animal me spent friday night this way when West Wing was new and I was young enough to enjoy and old enough to drink lol
Before we’d even finished our appetizers, our entrees arrived which is a huge pet peeve of mine.
Hate this and it should never happen but absolutely never in a restaurant costing as much as CG
Casey looks so happy with her choice and given my vast lack of seafood experience I will say I am in awe of her knowledge of food. She really does have a Michelin star palate!
Overall our food tonight was great but our experience was just off.
Such a shame that the experience wasn't what it should have been. Your food looked delicious, almost too pretty to eat, but I think a table and service can really make or break a meal. You and Casey both looked gorgeous though so I reckon Jason lucked out with his view as long as he wasn't facing piggly wiggly (what even is that).

Warm, buttery sourdough bread. There is really little better than warm fresh bread and I’m pretty sure we devoured every crumb of this.

Sourdough is the best. I appreciate it much more now because I learned how much work it is to make when everyone was sharing sourdough starter throughout the pandemic.

Aligot Potatoes and Fig-Onion Demi.

Aligot potatoes are the best. I may have to go there just for those.

I loath those poorly positioned tables! We have asked to move elsewhere and sometimes the staff looks so offended ugh!
The food looks really yummy. The new pre fixe options are not my favorite!
We cancelled our CG reservation in August! I wish we would have went now that the menu has changed.

Jason's a lucky man :) You ladies look lovely!

At some point they closed the balcony due to weather but did that keep them away? Of course not! Though in a bit of cosmic karma people could go out but couldn't get back in and we may or may not have pretended that we didn't notice :rolleyes1
What an awful spot for a table anyway!!! I'm bummed you had to have your meal in that spot, but love that you got to ignore the people who disturbed you by walking out anyway! :)

Well this rivals the pic from another report where the table guests were wearing tablecloths! Wasn't that your TR??

Soon enough we were whisked up to the California Grill and were promptly seated at the worst table in the entire restaurant. Our table was basically in the middle of the room next to the exit to one of the balcony’s.

They should have known the number of times you've dined there and given you a better table! 😉

Overall our food tonight was great but our experience was just off.

Maybe the experience was off because you only had 1 round of drinks! Hehe.

Before we’d even finished our appetizers, our entrees arrived which is a huge pet peeve of mine. We often won't even order entrees until after we've gotten our appetizer to ensure a leisurely meal, but at signature restaurants that is usually not necessary. Clearly CG didn't get the memo.
This annoys at a Buffalo Wild Wings , but at CG price point they should know better.

OMG. Really!! He couldn't have put on a plain Tee Shirt.

I am glad your food was very good despite the table location. I think my App choice would be your Crab but would choose Jason's Steak for the entree. One day we will make it to the CG.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter