The Dirty Dozen – 12 Days of Disney, Drinks & Dining - Updated 2/26

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with some family medical stuff but happy to hear things are on the upswing. Sending good vibes that it continues to improve!

WOW! What an epic surprise you pulled off! Incredible! Casey wasn't sure what to believe. :laughing: I bet she remembers this forever.

The crowds at Disney Springs have been insane lately ... I can only imagine what they looked like on a holiday. :eek: I'm sorry Boathouse wasn't a homerun. It's one of my favorites. But I didn't realize it counted as signature dining so I guess that says something. My preference is typically lunch and sitting out at the dockside bar so maybe atmosphere factors into my evaluation as well. Anyway, there is definitely an abundance of options in Disney Springs so no need to settle.

Love to see Casey branching out and ordering her own entrees ... but my sympathies to your wallet.

Yup this girl. We’d managed to keep the trip a surprise and Casey thought we were going to Savannah. So technically not lying I just failed to mention we were stopping in Orlando for 12 days first
SO, Gwen may have subscribed to your channel and found this before I saw you new post..
Untitled
Needless to say, she really likes this new YouTuber!

We probably kept the charade up for just a bit too long as it wasn’t until we walked out of the airport that months of surprise was finally unveiled.
I can't believe it took her that long to figure it out! I do think we want to see if we can come up a reason to go tot he airport and do this. But I seriously think my girls will be on to me almost immediatly.

Posed for our first official trip photo.
I can feel the sense of relief of finally being on vacation from this picture!

We checked in and had a bit of a wait, so perfect time for some Daddy’s Day photography.
Happy very late Father's Day!

That’s the ever so fancy Shirley Temple for Ms. Casey
I was going to say the best kid drink, but not really, there is way better on Disney property. It was my go to drink as a kid...

An even fancier Strawberry gin fizz for me
Def more my style now.. I think I need to learn to like Gin... I will work on that..

Flacid and rubbery calamari anyone? Sadly we liked the fried onions and peppers better.
I feel like we stay away from Calamari anymore for this reason.

ut she branched out on her own a few times this trip including tonight.
Oh.. it is all down hill from now on. Well, maybe she will split 2 options with you.

The coleslaw
Is coleslaw ever good?

I immediately had order envy as I love me some mahi but Jason was less than impressed. The flavor was good but he said it had clearly sat in the window for a while as the lettuce was wilty and the same temperature as his fries so probably not what they were going for.
Bummer, I have thought about boathouse but doesn't sound worth it.

We’d managed to keep the trip a surprise and Casey thought we were going to Savannah.
I didn't know this. Wow! I'm really impressed.

An even fancier Strawberry gin fizz for me
This looked very refreshing.
Sorry, Boathouse was a bit of a bust. We have only dined there once and it was good. The blue drink with the rubber ducky in it was disgusting. I do remember that. :rotfl2:

I love that you surprised Casey! I am doing a weekend Disney birthday surprise for my daughter in September. Surprises are so much fun!

Bummer about Boathouse. Glad I read this today because I was considering it for fall break for my oldest daughter's request. I have to do some restaurant tweaking for my ADR day this week.

I always love your trip reports! Looking forward to reading more!

Been dealing with some family medical stuff but thankfully everything seems to be on the upswing
Sorry to hear about this, Kari :( Glad things are looking up though.

Was so excited to see this post!!! We'll all been deprived for waaaaaay too long of the joys that is a Kari dining report. ::yes::

Super impressed you and Jason were able to keep the news from Casey! And, speaking of Casey, she's looking so grown up!!! Can't wait to hear more about your dining adventures after being away for so long.

So excited that you finally made it back to Disney and can't wait to hear about all of the food and drinks.

Enjoying the first update! "Hippie flavored beer" cracked me up.

You're definitely not alone on Boathouse not living up to the hype. My son's friend shrimp turned out pretty much exactly the same as you calamari--the kitchen could obviously see the breading had turned the bitter dark brown of nastiness--it's just unacceptable to send out food like that.

I should have known better than to stick with the lobster roll after I ordered it and my waitress said "do you want that to be prepared with butter or mayo." You'd think a signature restaurant has a special preparation that they've refined over time to something original and exciting. But nope, I picked the mayo and it had zero flavor of any kind--just lobster meat and what seemed to be pretty much plain mayo (I had to salt and pepper it myself with the salt shaker at the table, which I literally can't remember the last time I had to do at a restaurant). And it was the most expensive meal of the trip.

Checking in to say hi, then I will fall off the wagon and binge your whole report in like 6 months :rolleyes1

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Glad I'm not alone in binge reading!

I'm so so glad you're back with a new and improved dining report, @kastoney! I missed seeing your faces, and reading your tipsy notes! Things just weren't the same around here without you!

Last edited:
4 pages late to the party, but finally here! :)

I love a good WDW surprise!!! Casey's reaction was just so cute :)

Excited to hear more about a dozen magical days!!!

But we were finally headed home.

Except someone didn’t know it. Any guesses?
I love the way her left eyebrow goes up when she is figuring out where you were really going.
We probably kept the charade up for just a bit too long as it wasn’t until we walked out of the airport that months of surprise was finally unveiled.
This is such a great surprise. I know another family with an eleven year daughter who they surprised with a Disney trip. They did what you did and added it to a trip to somewhere else. I think that is the only way to pull it off with these smart Disney kids. :)
This was our second trip to the Boathouse and while it is good I do not get the signature status.
It looks like too casual of a place to be a signature.

So glad you are back writing reports. Yours always make me laugh. You certainly got off to an adventurous, if not to be recommended, start what with the blood curdling scream! Brilliant that you were able to pull of the surprise. Casey's reaction is priceless-those eyes!!! The excitement to be there just oozes from your boardwalk photo.
Shame that the bread was the best thing about the Boathouse food wise. I love the look of the strawberry gin fizz but yeah not really a good enough reason to go there (like I have a choice these days :sad: ). Take it you didn't revisit Raglan Rd if this was your longest wait for a table :rotfl:

What airport did you fly out of using Frontier?
We flew out of Washington Dulles. This was our third time flying them and probably the last. The price is right but their customer service is horrible. Last time we "flew" them we actually didn't even get on a plane. They had one person checking everyone in for 3 morning flights with hours long lines. Yet the plane took off on time.

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with some family medical stuff but happy to hear things are on the upswing. Sending good vibes that it continues to improve!
Thanks Christine!!! Everything continues in the right direction

WOW! What an epic surprise you pulled off! Incredible! Casey wasn't sure what to believe. :laughing: I bet she remembers this forever.
I'm sure she will. We surprised her one other time but she figured it out when we got to the airport. We really had her going on this one

'm sorry Boathouse wasn't a homerun. It's one of my favorites. But I didn't realize it counted as signature dining so I guess that says something. My preference is typically lunch and sitting out at the dockside bar so maybe atmosphere factors into my evaluation as well. Anyway, there is definitely an abundance of options in Disney Springs so no need to settle.
Sitting outside at the Boathouse with some drinks and apps definitely seems like my kinda time. I think with it being "signature" I hold it to a different standard than I probably should.

Love to see Casey branching out and ordering her own entrees ... but my sympathies to your wallet.
Yep my wallet took a bit of a hit this time. The crab cake was $25 I think and it would not be the most expensive thing she ordered.

SO, Gwen may have subscribed to your channel and found this before I saw you new post..
:love: Love this and our girls special bond. Though had to laugh that anyone subscribes to our "channel." Pretty sure random assortment of videos over the years doesn't count as a channel :D

I can't believe it took her that long to figure it out! I do think we want to see if we can come up a reason to go tot he airport and do this. But I seriously think my girls will be on to me almost immediately.
We were shocked too and we definitely kept it going for way too long. We were originally going to drive so it made perfect sense that we'd just keep trucking by Savannah and she'd figure it out when we got to Florida. We decided to keep it going with the flight and told her we had to change planes in Jacksonville then feigned surprised when we were laying over in Orlando. She said we'd talked about Savannah for so long she had no clue.

I was going to say the best kid drink, but not really, there is way better on Disney property. It was my go to drink as a kid...
There definitely are. I was very surprised that Boathouse didn't have any mocktail options. So good ole Shirley it was

Def more my style now.. I think I need to learn to like Gin... I will work on that..
I believe in you. If you'd like to start a training regiment let me know. Happy to coach you through it :drinking1

Oh.. it is all down hill from now on. Well, maybe she will split 2 options with you.
Oh I hadn't thought of that. Maybe this will have an upside

I didn't know this. Wow! I'm really impressed.
I'm very impressive :D It was pretty easy since we were actually going to Savannah that every time we talked about it we just said Savannah instead of Disney. We actually got to chat about it in front of her much more than we would have otherwise

Sorry, Boathouse was a bit of a bust. We have only dined there once and it was good. The blue drink with the rubber ducky in it was disgusting. I do remember that. :rotfl2:
Good to know cause I almost ordered that cause hello rubber duck. But thankfully I've learned my lessons through the years to stay away from blue drinks

I love that you surprised Casey! I am doing a weekend Disney birthday surprise for my daughter in September. Surprises are so much fun!
They are!!!! Happy Birthday to your daughter. Sounds like she is gonna have a wonderful birthday

Bummer about Boathouse. Glad I read this today because I was considering it for fall break for my oldest daughter's request. I have to do some restaurant tweaking for my ADR day this week.
It was so crowded that night I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. I think if you take it as a waterside seafood joint its good, but don't expect anything signature worthy

We flew out of Washington Dulles. This was our third time flying them and probably the last. The price is right but their customer service is horrible. Last time we "flew" them we actually didn't even get on a plane. They had one person checking everyone in for 3 morning flights with hours long lines. Yet the plane took off on time.

I think we will stick with SWA out of BWI...have a wonderful trip!

Thanks Christine!!! Everything continues in the right direction

I'm sure she will. We surprised her one other time but she figured it out when we got to the airport. We really had her going on this one

Sitting outside at the Boathouse with some drinks and apps definitely seems like my kinda time. I think with it being "signature" I hold it to a different standard than I probably should.

Yep my wallet took a bit of a hit this time. The crab cake was $25 I think and it would not be the most expensive thing she ordered.

:love: Love this and our girls special bond. Though had to laugh that anyone subscribes to our "channel." Pretty sure random assortment of videos over the years doesn't count as a channel :D

We were shocked too and we definitely kept it going for way too long. We were originally going to drive so it made perfect sense that we'd just keep trucking by Savannah and she'd figure it out when we got to Florida. We decided to keep it going with the flight and told her we had to change planes in Jacksonville then feigned surprised when we were laying over in Orlando. She said we'd talked about Savannah for so long she had no clue.

There definitely are. I was very surprised that Boathouse didn't have any mocktail options. So good ole Shirley it was

I believe in you. If you'd like to start a training regiment let me know. Happy to coach you through it :drinking1

Oh I hadn't thought of that. Maybe this will have an upside

I'm very impressive :D It was pretty easy since we were actually going to Savannah that every time we talked about it we just said Savannah instead of Disney. We actually got to chat about it in front of her much more than we would have otherwise

Good to know cause I almost ordered that cause hello rubber duck. But thankfully I've learned my lessons through the years to stay away from blue drinks

They are!!!! Happy Birthday to your daughter. Sounds like she is gonna have a wonderful birthday

It was so crowded that night I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. I think if you take it as a waterside seafood joint its good, but don't expect anything signature worthy

Yes but at signature prices I expect them to deliver. Especially with a family of 5 and signature tastes, Disney food is $$$$. I hate that the make kids adult at 10. I can't wait to see what else Casey orders and likes!

Sorry to hear about this, Kari :( Glad things are looking up though.
Thanks Tracy. Everything continues to tick up!

Super impressed you and Jason were able to keep the news from Casey! And, speaking of Casey, she's looking so grown up!!! Can't wait to hear more about your dining adventures after being away for so long.
I was pretty impressed with us too. We usually slip and give it away. The hardest part is my brother was going to be there with us for a few days and he'd come home for a few weeks before the trip. So we couldn't talk about it which turned out to be an issue b/c we had very different expectations of his time with us

So excited that you finally made it back to Disney and can't wait to hear about all of the food and drinks.
Thank you!!!!

Enjoying the first update! "Hippie flavored beer" cracked me up.
Thanks! Beer names are so odd. Of course my husband brews his own beer and I'm pretty sure he only does it so he can name it. Beach Hippie sounds pretty good compared to some of his brews....Funky Flip Flop, Pony Pee Pale Ale, 6 Feet Away IPA, Camel Toe, and the ever so creative I Made Beer :D

You're definitely not alone on Boathouse not living up to the hype. My son's friend shrimp turned out pretty much exactly the same as you calamari--the kitchen could obviously see the breading had turned the bitter dark brown of nastiness--it's just unacceptable to send out food like that.
Yuck!!! Ours looked pretty good but definitely didn't taste that way. I know calamari can be temperamental but if your gonna serve it do it right

I picked the mayo and it had zero flavor of any kind--just lobster meat and what seemed to be pretty much plain mayo (I had to salt and pepper it myself with the salt shaker at the table, which I literally can't remember the last time I had to do at a restaurant). And it was the most expensive meal of the trip.
Wow!!! Yeah a a lobster roll should be perfected over the years, odd they gave you a choice. I was so close to ordering that but I'm glad I didn't. Our server wasn't sure if it had celery in it or not (and I hate celery) so I just went with the filet. I think it was the better choice or at least the cheaper one :confused3

I'm so so glad you're back with a new and improved dining report, @kastoney! I missed seeing your faces, and reading your tipsy notes! Things just weren't the same around here without you!
Hi Teresa!!!! Miss seeing you around these parts too

4 pages late to the party, but finally here! :)

I love a good WDW surprise!!! Casey's reaction was just so cute :)

Excited to hear more about a dozen magical days!!!
Hi my friend!!! Welcome to my food party. You'll be sad to know no Miller Lites were harmed during the making of this report but plenty of other drinks were :drinking1

I love the way her left eyebrow goes up when she is figuring out where you were really going.
She has quite the facial expressions which is obviously hard to see with a mask, but she still found a way to get it in there

This is such a great surprise. I know another family with an eleven year daughter who they surprised with a Disney trip. They did what you did and added it to a trip to somewhere else. I think that is the only way to pull it off with these smart Disney kids. :)
It really is She is way too smart for her own good so I'm still shocked she didn't figure this out. I had ordered her all sorts of new clothes and ears and had a heck of a time hiding and packing them

Joining in! So glad to finally have more tipsy adventures to read about.
Thanks for joining the tipsy train :D

I had the crab cake at The Boathouse quite some time ago and I really liked it.
Sorry your meals didn’t live up to your expectations, it does look like a fun time was being had despite that!
I was surprised at how good the crab cake was. I was expecting just flakes of crab and lots of filler. Of course it was no Jason crab cake as he makes IMO the best ones ever. Good news is he makes some for us when we got to Savannah.

So glad you are back writing reports. Yours always make me laugh.
Hi Moira!!! Pretty sure we make each other craic :earboy2:

Casey's reaction is priceless-those eyes!!! The excitement to be there just oozes from your boardwalk photo.
None of us could believe it. We'd never been away for so long so the excitement was unreal

love the look of the strawberry gin fizz but yeah not really a good enough reason to go there (like I have a choice these days :sad: ). Take it you didn't revisit Raglan Rd if this was your longest wait for a table :rotfl:
You know it. Sad cause I love Raglan Rds food but no chance I was gonna roll the wait for a table dice with them

Hi my friend!!! Welcome to my food party. You'll be sad to know no Miller Lites were harmed during the making of this report but plenty of other drinks were :drinking1
No worries! I spent the last week in Wisconsin, so I consumed many...enough for us both, really! :drinking1I love hearing about all the other drinks I need to add to my WDW list! This report can be considered research for my December trip then, right? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter