The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Well, the time has (almost) come. DW and I have officially decided that 2022 is the year to sell the trailer. With three teens (the oldest of whom I'm taking for her first official college visit tomorrow), the foreseeable trailer usage for the next 5+ years is tenuous at best. Between weather and school schedules, our camping season is limited to Mem. Day to Labor Day, and with camps, work, teen jobs, etc... the camper just won't get used. It will likely be 10-15 years before it makes sense again, so it is time to let it go. We will have a few last hurrahs this summer and list it sometime in late July or August. Rough decision to make, but she has served us well for 10 years and it is time to move on.

Knew you all would understand! Here's to what's next.

I hear what you're saying, @mickeyfan0805. It can be a rough few years with all the kids getting older and on their own calendars and commitments.

It might be a situation where as the kids grow up that you and DW might want to resume the camping trips again (just the two of you) in a Class A or Class C and the kids (when you invite them) are welcome to join you and throw a tent on the ground (on their own dime).

I'm here to tell you that these can be some good years for you and DW. Sure you'll miss the kids. Me and my DW go to Gulf Shores and WDW with past memories around every corner. Indeed it might make sense again at some point in the future but your family will have a treasure trove of memories that you will have given them.

Hope you took lots of pix. Put them in an old fashioned photo album for each one someday.

Bama Ed

As ours have gotten older 10 and 16 we have had to adjust to oldest DD band schedule which has limited our weekends in the fall and early spring but so far not too terribly. Youngest DD is showing no signs of wanting to be involved in school activities outside of actual classroom so after 2 years we might actually be able to camp more.

Funny, everyone I talk to say kids never really get away from the trips. Seem to always be available on beach trips...

Well, the time has (almost) come. DW and I have officially decided that 2022 is the year to sell the trailer. With three teens (the oldest of whom I'm taking for her first official college visit tomorrow), the foreseeable trailer usage for the next 5+ years is tenuous at best. Between weather and school schedules, our camping season is limited to Mem. Day to Labor Day, and with camps, work, teen jobs, etc... the camper just won't get used. It will likely be 10-15 years before it makes sense again, so it is time to let it go. We will have a few last hurrahs this summer and list it sometime in late July or August. Rough decision to make, but she has served us well for 10 years and it is time to move on.

Knew you all would understand! Here's to what's next.

I understand your reasoning for hanging up the load leveling hitch bars, but I hope that we don't ever step away from camping. DD is a big swimmer and we're using the rig as a base of operations often.

I also recall all the dingy motels my parents stayed in to visit me at college and the inflatable mattress or my bed that was their choice when they visited me as a listless bachelor. I have no desire to find myself in those situations.

I'll be in the driveway. If you have a hose and an extension cord...that'd be great.

At 24 and 20, we have to "consult" with our children when planning trips to see what their work schedules are
By "consult" I assume you mean you tell them you're going somewhere and it's up to them to take off? Just wondering how it works since I'm still several years from that time.

We also need to "consult" Reba, of course she usually beats us to the motorhome and can not wait to get inside.

Got the motorhome scheduled for service next month so we will be ready for the season.
Oh yes. Sky and Katie AKA THE SAVAGE SISTERS hear" Who wants to go Adventuring? " and are bouncing like mad in front of their leashes.

I do fully understand selling the trailer if there would be zero use. I hope your next stages keep the memories rolling no matter what.

As for our consult is just telling the girls when we are going to be out of town when they are with their father. The pups are always down for a car ride or a camping trip so we just don't say anything till its time to go or they wine by the door like we should leave now.

I feel fortunate the kids enjoy taking the RV, they are much like me where they like having their own familiar space most of the time. Though not a single person objected to our 1BR hotel stay in June....

We have to get tires for the motor home. I am still on the fence. With Mallory gone we are not so pressed to have to take the RV on vacation. Part of me does want to sell it, but then we go in it and i love it. I don't want to work so I can use the motor home at my leisure. Tight vacation schedules from work and the something always broken is not a good combo.

The other thing is the maintenance. While I knew we were not handy, I figured fine we will just have to pay people a lot of money to fix things. I now realize that the people doing the fixing are not doing a good job and it is impossible to find people to do work on the RV.

At some point this spring/summer i am going to do an overnight backpacking trip. If i can survive in a tent maybe i should plan on tent camping :rotfl2: Just kidding i dont think i could tent camp unless the weather is perfect and i have a bed. Backpacking is different from tent camping. Maybe i need an A liner, though i do like the R pods.

you all are funny. But yeah Bert said no to tent camping. We be glamping. I still am up for backpacking but that is not the same. Hiking for 10 to 14 miles then sleeping is way different.

we did manage a training hike today. my favorite AT, hogpen to wolf laurel. It is 6.3 miles round trip 2100 ft of gain. Ugh training for Mt Mitchell, 12 miles at the end of April. 6 miles today so not bad. I am hoping to do an overnight hiking triio this year, maybe May,

on the running topic, I am running again albeit slowly. I am two weeks in. Have am interval from therapist 2 minutes running 2 Minutes walking. I am two weeks in. Knee is ok nit great but better than it has been. I continuse to slowly move my mileage up according to my therapist. Oh and a new issue with my thumb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter