the 'Dude reports on 4/24 thru 4/27 (GCH)

DisneyDude10171

Mouseketeer
THURSDAY, APRIL 24, 2003
Flew out of Chicago (O'Hare) at about 9:30 on AA. 4 hour or so flight to Los Angeles (LAX) with delightful screaming brat in seat in from of me... :mad: still have headache. Delayed pulling into gate for additional 1/2 hour :mad: :mad: . Arrive in Anneheim around 4:00 after lovely LA area traffic. Check in at GCH was rather slow- they attributed it to tail-end of Spring Breakers. Room was not ready on time unfortunately. We stayed on floor 5 (room 5007) with a stunning Paradise Pier view. Entered DLP around 5:00 and dined at French Markert (not sure on name- rest. in NOS, outdoor, presented by Stouffer's). We were surprised to see the Columbia out, so we rode that. Moved over to DCA in time to catch DEP at 8:00 and also rode CA Screamin' and SunWheel (stationary). A bit cold out that night. Left park at 10:00 (closing).

FRIDAY, APRIL 25, 2003
Went to DLP for opening at 8:00. Had breakfast at MSBakery. Did bunch of Fantasyland rides in AM, including Matterhorn (my first ride, since it was closed last time). Hardly any waits at this time. Crowds began to thicken around 10:00. Stayed in for lunch and continued to do rides, with the help of FastPass. Went over to DCA later, watched DEP @ 8 again, we bundled up more this night as it was as cold as the other one. Left DCA in time to see Believe @ 9 in DLP while eating at Plaza Inn (I think its called... with the happiest birthday on earth banners and such). Left park around 10:00 again, even though it closed at 12:00- heavy crowds.

SATURDAY, APRIL 26, 2003
Went to DLP for opening at 8:00. Had breakfast in Fronteirland (Liberty Belle restaurant or something like that)- VERY good spot, not very crowded. Rode Pirates (good thing, it closed Monday for one month) and went to DD for lunch at Naples (pizza). Visited DLH also. Got FP for WWTBAM:PI and I answered a trivia question correctly and got to sit in front row (Q: What was the first show in the Hyperion Theater? A: Disney's Steps in Time). My dad was #1 on the board at the end, but unfortunately, it was the END and he couldn't go up. Dinner at casual counter service rest. in GCH and went back to DCA to ride GRR and Soarin' (with FP- very hard to get!) and see DEP @ 8 and again went over to DLP to see Believe @ 9. Watched from MS. Cold again, needed sweatshirts, jacket. Left around 10:00, park closed @ 12:00.

SUNDAY, APRIL 27, 2003
Went to DLP for opening at 8:00. Had breakfast in Tomorrowland near the Buzz Lightyear stage (formerly Tomorrowland Terrace). Did some rides, checked out and then had lunch at Storyteller Cafe (GCH) before returning to DCA one last time. Played WWTBAM: PI and did the Animation tour. After that, stopped at PPH and left on our way for Santa Barbara where we spent the remainder of the trip.

OVERALL, crowds were good and temps were moderate. FP's for CA Screamin' easy to get, while for Soarin', next to impossible! Space Mtn. closed till '06 (in prep. for 50th Ann.) and Pirates closed now thru end of May for reburb. SB Castle walkthru closed, too. Superatar Limo still closed and WWTBAM:PI rumored to close, as well as the Hyperion (temporarily, I heard). TT is under construction. Did not ride Pooh. HAD FUN! Any other Q's?

Thanks for the report. It's always nice to read about other DISer's experiences at DLR :D

Just wanted to point out that I'm sure when you were 4 years old, you made someones 4 hour flight miserable too. ;)

Glad you had a good time!

Roy

How long did it take you to get from LAX to Anaheim?!

What was your hotel like? Pools? Room size?

mom_rules: sorry I didn't respond earlier, I only got the notification that there was a post today!

The ride from LAX to Anaheim was about 20-40 minutes and from what I understand that was "good" traffic.

The Grand Californian (standard) rooms are very nice. Good sized, considering it can sleep 2 adults and 2 children (with a bunk bed + queen room) or 4 adults in a 2 queen room. We had a room with a view into California Adventure looking onto Paradise Pier which was spectacular at night. I did not use the pools, but I think they have 2... One is a large one with a slide and the other I think is a kiddie one. Both tended to get filled around the middle of the day. Don't worry if your room is near the park/pool/downtown disney as the walls, windows, and doors are very sound proofed! Price increases as the view gets better. The worst they can stick you with is the "Disneyland Drive" view which is basically a parking lot :) Hope that helped!

Any recommedations for GC , Theme park view, concierge?

I have not stayed in concierge before, but I have friends who have... the buffet/bar in the lounge is supposed to be nice, as for the rooms, they are the same size (unless they are a suite). Standard rooms get the perks one might associate with concierge elsewhere such as nightly turndown and newspaper delivery.

I would however reccommend the park view! I have stayed there twice each time with a different view, and they have both been amazing!! Once I had Grizzly Peak and the surrounding area, and this time (as mentioned) I had Paradise Pier. I also saw a pool-view room, which actually has a good Paradise Pier view, too. Although you cannot really request which view you would like, I would suggest asking for a Paradise Pier view. At night, everything is lit up and it is very cool to see it before going to bed.

Another general suggestion: have breakfast IN one of the parks! It's a LOT less crowded (if you get in when it opens) and it's a lot nicer atmosphere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter