The Flower Myths ~ Tulips ~

Snowwark

DIS Veteran
Tulips

Perfect Lover. "A declaration of love!" Flower of Spring. Imagination and Dreaminess.

It is said in a Persian legend that a young man, Farhad, was in love with a beautiful woman, Sharin. One day, Farhad received news that his lover was dead. In his grief, he jumped off a high cliff, and where his body landed, there the tulips first began to grow. The saddest part was that the message was sent by a jealous rival, and Sharin was actually still alive.

- Hana no Monogatari

Interesting. Is this going to be a new feature, flower myths? Cool :D

I was just out in my garden... admiring the tulips that are blooming. They truly are an enchanting first act for the garden performance.

I took a quick photo while I was out... wasn't going to post it - but when I read the mythology of the tulip... couldn't resist. :p

<center>
garden050402.jpg
</center>

The echinacea is coming up strongly in the background and you can see my hyacinths are done and withering away.

So many more beautys yet to come. :)

Okay... I can't resist...

Did you know that in my state (Washington) there is a large area in the Skagit Valley that is worldwide famous for the tulips they grow?! Each spring at this time, they have a giant TULIP festival. It is truly breathtaking to see the sea of brightly colored tulips.

april.jpg
Tulips1.jpg
04-12-1997__01.22_Mt._Vernon_WA2.jpg

Mt. Vernon in Washington state is the home for this great annual event. Driving the valley is a delight for the senses.

<center>
picture18.jpg
</center>

And don't forget the great tulip crash in the Netherlands.

Tulips were first imported into Europe from Turkey in the mid 1500's. The flowers soon gained in popularity, and a demand sprang up for different varieties of the bulbs. The supply (and increasing popularity) of rare varieties of Tulip bulbs couldn't keep up with the demand, and prices soon began to rise sharply. Prices rose to such heights that by 1610 one rare bulb was considered an acceptable dowry for a bride. As prices soared ordinary citizens soon began to view tulip bulb speculation as a sure fire way to get rich (echoes of the stock market?). Holland, the largest producer of the bulbs, soon became the epicenter of the mania for tulips. People mortgaged their homes and businesses to buy the bulbs. The prices for many rare bulb types reached several hundred dollars each. One bulb of a very rare variety even changed hands at over $20,000. By 1637 people began to see that prices had reached an outlandish level. Distribution began to take place, and as often happens after the smart money has already sold, a crash soon followed. Many Dutch families lost the homes and businesses they had mortgaged to take part in this "sure thing" investment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter