The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

re: selecting people when selecting LLs

if you go into your genie planner foreach day of your trip you cando “roll call” and select who you’ll be with that day. Those people will be automatically selected when you book your LLs. Doesn’t help when you have different people wanting different rides on the same day, but if you’re going to be in charge ofbooki by for a certain smaller group within your large party it will be helpful. Your party is larger than the max for LL bookings so you’ll need to split into at least two groups.

It is clunky and you have to go through a few menus to find it and start planning your genie day. I hope they streamline the menus and declutter Genie in the future.

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. It's mostly for the first pick of the day when I'm trying to book say SDD and I just want to click through as fast as possible.

Other than buying Genie and adding one of the individual LLs I want to purchase to my top picks for the day, and setting up my roll call, is there anything else I need to do to be ready to purchase as quickly as possible at 7am? Will it be pretty obvious how to purchase once I open the app that day?

Other than buying Genie and adding one of the individual LLs I want to purchase to my top picks for the day, and setting up my roll call, is there anything else I need to do to be ready to purchase as quickly as possible at 7am? Will it be pretty obvious how to purchase once I open the app that day?
This short video may help answer this:

We are going to AK and then hopping to Epcot later in the day. If I book my 1st LL at 7:00am to use in AK and the park opens at 7:30 that day then can I book my next LL at 9:30 to use in Epcot later in the afternoon/evening?
Wasn't sure how the 2 hour rule worked with the park hopping/different opening times.

Do you only get a certain amount of time to book a LL selection before you lose your time selection.? I'm worried by the time a enter my credit card info, I might lose my time!
And, if you're staying onsite and have given your cc info does it automatically save that payment method so I can bypass entering my card #?
Also, is it faster to use data rather than Disney Wifi when using Genie+?
Thanks in advance!

We are going to AK and then hopping to Epcot later in the day. If I book my 1st LL at 7:00am to use in AK and the park opens at 7:30 that day then can I book my next LL at 9:30 to use in Epcot later in the afternoon/evening?
Wasn't sure how the 2 hour rule worked with the park hopping/different opening times.
It’s two hours after the park opens. And I think it’s the park where you book your first genie+. (Someone help me out with this please!)

Do you only get a certain amount of time to book a LL selection before you lose your time selection.? I'm worried by the time a enter my credit card info, I might lose my time!
And, if you're staying onsite and have given your cc info does it automatically save that payment method so I can bypass entering my card #?
Thanks in advance!
By the time you do the 3 click through as your time with most likely have changed. You could even go from morning to evening. If you try to back out you might lose the LL altogether. This is a major complaint with almost everyone.
I have read of people saying data was faster. It’s just something to keep in mind if you are having loading issues.

Thanks in advance!
Haven't used it yet, but as I understand it the times may change while you're buying it. I'd suggest linking your CC to your MDE so you don't have to enter it each time

Thanks in advance!
Yes, if you have a card linked to the account; it'll automatically be in there, so just need to click confirm or whatever it is on that page.

Great and lucky day at HS today. Glad to have Runaway Railway back on Genie+. For two of us:
  • Booked 10:10 Slinky at 7am, tried to simultaneously book RotR and failed
  • Arrived into HS around 8:23 for early resort entry and rope dropped ToT, made it onto ride just shortly after 9
  • Booked a 4:05 RotR at 9am, initially time said 10:10 but I lost cell service in the ToT queue by the elevators but I was able to get service back and somehow still got passes for 4:05
  • Rode Star Tours around 9:20 and waited maybe 10 minutes
  • Rode Slinky and booked our 1:05 Alien Saucers at 10:08am
  • Spent 30 minutes in line at the Joffreys outside the Toy Story Land entrance, worth it!
  • Did Muppet Vision and had lunch at Docking Bay, was able to refresh and grab a 1:25 Runaway Railway at 12:08 after waiting our two hours to book again
  • 1:05 Alien Swirling Saucers and after scanning in got incredibly lucky and refreshed for a 1:30 smugglers run
  • 1:25 Runaway Railway scanned in 1:20
  • 1:30 Smuggler’s Run, after scanning in maybe around 1:45 we booked a 2:05-2:20 frozen for the 2:30 show
  • 2:05 Frozen scanned in about 2:18 and was a full show but we had plenty of seats on the end to choose from
  • Could not refresh for anything else at this point, return times were rare and usually 6-8 and we had dinner plans
  • 4:05 RotR went very smoothly, scanned in 4:00 and was off by 4:35

All in all a super productive day and we really only missed TSM and RnRC. The lines were so long, most were 1-2 hours. Saw rise over 3 hours for a chunk of the midday. We refreshed a lot and missed a lot of slots because they don’t “hold” the time just because you see it, but got lucky a few times. I edit my selections so just the rides I’m refreshing for shows on my tip board. We try to avoid getting times more than 2-3 hours out (especially early in the day) and refresh instead and that usually works for just two of us. We did leave after RotR for dinner at 5:15 at Sanaa and just made it in time. If we stayed the evening we could definitely have finished all the rides, though not the shows. Indy at 12:00 was at capacity when we went by at 11:50 and CMs were recommending getting there 30 mins early.

I asked this on a different post yesterday, and the general consensus was that the 2 hour rule is based on the opening time of the park where you book your first LL.

I'm sorry to have to ask this, but do you have to have Genie+ purchased to do this and if not, can you explain where you can set your "roll call". BTW, I was a pro with the old app and now I just can't get a handle on where everything is in this new updated one. It's pretty frustrating!

It’s under the “My Day” tab, which is very cluttered imho. It was near the top each day before making any plans. We had tickets with G+ added for all the days so I’m not sure if it would be different. I would guess it would be there for everyone because it’s meant to get people to use Genie in general and then to try to sell the up-charge items like ILLs.

Great and lucky day at HS today. Glad to have Runaway Railway back on Genie+. For two of us:
  • Booked 10:10 Slinky at 7am, tried to simultaneously book RotR and failed
  • Arrived into HS around 8:23 for early resort entry and rope dropped ToT, made it onto ride just shortly after 9
  • Booked a 4:05 RotR at 9am, initially time said 10:10 but I lost cell service in the ToT queue by the elevators but I was able to get service back and somehow still got passes for 4:05
  • Rode Star Tours around 9:20 and waited maybe 10 minutes
  • Rode Slinky and booked our 1:05 Alien Saucers at 10:08am
  • Spent 30 minutes in line at the Joffreys outside the Toy Story Land entrance, worth it!
  • Did Muppet Vision and had lunch at Docking Bay, was able to refresh and grab a 1:25 Runaway Railway at 12:08 after waiting our two hours to book again
  • 1:05 Alien Swirling Saucers and after scanning in got incredibly lucky and refreshed for a 1:30 smugglers run
  • 1:25 Runaway Railway scanned in 1:20
  • 1:30 Smuggler’s Run, after scanning in maybe around 1:45 we booked a 2:05-2:20 frozen for the 2:30 show
  • 2:05 Frozen scanned in about 2:18 and was a full show but we had plenty of seats on the end to choose from
  • Could not refresh for anything else at this point, return times were rare and usually 6-8 and we had dinner plans
  • 4:05 RotR went very smoothly, scanned in 4:00 and was off by 4:35

All in all a super productive day and we really only missed TSM and RnRC. The lines were so long, most were 1-2 hours. Saw rise over 3 hours for a chunk of the midday. We refreshed a lot and missed a lot of slots because they don’t “hold” the time just because you see it, but got lucky a few times. I edit my selections so just the rides I’m refreshing for shows on my tip board. We try to avoid getting times more than 2-3 hours out (especially early in the day) and refresh instead and that usually works for just two of us. We did leave after RotR for dinner at 5:15 at Sanaa and just made it in time. If we stayed the evening we could definitely have finished all the rides, though not the shows. Indy at 12:00 was at capacity when we went by at 11:50 and CMs were recommending getting there 30 mins early.

I’m confused here. If you grabbed aliens at 10:08 and then MMRR at 12:08 wouldn’t your next time to get another LL be after tapping for MMRR? But I see you got smugglers after tapping into aliens. I thought you couldn’t get more until tapping into your most recently obtained LL.

Some attractions moved from paid to regular LL starting today!
Technically, "regular" LL is also paid (Genie+), but at least those are not an extra charge for ILL$ over coming months. Hopefully, they figure out that adding these rides to G+ helps balance availability and, even if it means a slight reduction in revenue, they keep them in G+ permanently.

I wonder how this might complicate people's strategy who were willing to pay the ILL$, which would have meant they had that ride reserved and could use their G+ slot for a different one. But now, they will have to use one of their G+ opportunities for the ride that they would have already reserved by paying for the ILL$. So, even though it will cost less, could this result in some people getting fewer of their choices?

Last edited:
Issue I ran into this week.
We had 4 guests, but only 3 can ride Space Mountain due to height requirements.
When trying to book ILL for Space Mountain, it was hard to remove that one person and still be able to get the ILL or LL for another attraction for the time that you wanted.

What is the best strategy when you have to remove someone from certain ILL or LL attractions?

Thanks for your help.

Issue I ran into this week.
We had 4 guests, but only 3 can ride Space Mountain due to height requirements.
When trying to book ILL for Space Mountain, it was hard to remove that one person and still be able to get the ILL or LL for another attraction for the time that you wanted.

What is the best strategy when you have to remove someone from certain ILL or LL attractions?

Thanks for your help.
Personally for LL I would just grab one for all members of your party then just cancel the 1 so that it doesn't mess up return times etc. if not used.

It's a little trickier for ILL$ as you won't want to pay for one you won't use so I think you'd need to take the time to remove that person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter