The Genie Usage, Tips and Strategy ONLY Thread

Thank you so much for that!! Really good to know you occasionally got a not eligible message but it went away. I will panic less when it inevitably happens to me too!
Yeah, I think the app often has a time lag.
For example, at 11:01 it will tell you that you are not eligible until 11:00.
So I think a cancellation isn’t always immediately recognized by the app.

I've done Genie+ with only myself having it in November and it worked amazingly. Now I am going to do it with a party of 8.

I have heard it claimed several times that you can't get as good of lightning lanes with a large party as you can with a small party. The only reasoning behind that I've seen is that it just kind of makes sense to whoever thinks that is the case. My theory is that party size makes no difference with Genie+ as far as what you'll be able to book. Am I correct or incorrect? I don't have enough experience to know, but if someone does have an opinion based on experience I would like to hear about it.

I think this is more relevant as the day goes on or as you are trying to snag the times that pop-up throughout the day? I'm assuming a certain number of riders are assigned to each genie+ ride for any given time period.... so say 100 people can book ride XXX from 10-11am. Once those 100 slots are gone it moves to the next time and so on through-out the day. Eventually you'll hit a point where there are say 3 spots left... so when you go to book with a group of 8, it'll move you to a time that can take a party of 8. Or say a group of 4 cancels so their 4 spots go out for someone to book... again, your party of 8 wouldn't work, but a smaller group could snag the time.

We used genie+ after Thanksgiving with a group of 6 and when we were trying to secure a 10am time, it kept pushing us to 1pm. I would go back and the time was still there, but it wouldn't assign that time once I selected my party size. My assumption is that there wasn't enough availability for 6 of us to ride at that time.

This is just my assumption... I'm sure the system is much more complicated

I think this is more relevant as the day goes on or as you are trying to snag the times that pop-up throughout the day? I'm assuming a certain number of riders are assigned to each genie+ ride for any given time period.... so say 100 people can book ride XXX from 10-11am. Once those 100 slots are gone it moves to the next time and so on through-out the day. Eventually you'll hit a point where there are say 3 spots left... so when you go to book with a group of 8, it'll move you to a time that can take a party of 8. Or say a group of 4 cancels so their 4 spots go out for someone to book... again, your party of 8 wouldn't work, but a smaller group could snag the time.

We used genie+ after Thanksgiving with a group of 6 and when we were trying to secure a 10am time, it kept pushing us to 1pm. I would go back and the time was still there, but it wouldn't assign that time once I selected my party size. My assumption is that there wasn't enough availability for 6 of us to ride at that time.

This is just my assumption... I'm sure the system is much more complicated

That might not explain it actually depending on what you mean by "go back." As a party of 1 I would click back and still see the same time there and then go forward through the process and it was still gone. Now if you meant you refreshed and still saw 10 a.m. before selecting your party then you might be right.

How exactly all this works...only the ancients know.

That might not explain it actually depending on what you mean by "go back." As a party of 1 I would click back and still see the same time there and then go forward through the process and it was still gone. Now if you meant you refreshed and still saw 10 a.m. before selecting your party then you might be right.

How exactly all this works...only the ancients know.

Nope… refreshed, closed the app, went back in… time kept showing and wouldn’t let me book… was very annoying…

Agree… who knows how this works… sometimes I wonder if even Disney knows!

True. AK opened at 7:30 today, so the question was written when the park had been open for a while. However, Safari doesn’t always open with the park.

The Safari usually doesn’t open until 8 AM, especially at this time of year. With DST just starting sunrise is later than it was last week.

The Safari usually doesn’t open until 8 AM, especially at this time of year. With DST just starting sunrise is later than it was last week.
Hours if Kilimanjaro Safaris changes often (both open and close) so it’s recommended to check the app by clicking the name of the attraction in the tip board.

The park officially opened at 7:30 today but KS doesn’t open until 9AM.

Also, it closes before the park does too.

I managed to edit my top picks for MK (pin to the top of tip board) but can’t figure out how to do it for other parks. The option doesn’t appear?

I managed to edit my top picks for MK (pin to the top of tip board) but can’t figure out how to do it for other parks. The option doesn’t appear?

I forget where in this thread it's posted but you need to go into my day, change day, and then select the day for the other parks (one at a time) and then it will pop up.

Just trying to wrap my head around this. So here goes. Is the following scenario possible, would I be able to book another LL after I tap into Jungle Cruise at 9:45am?

7am - Book JC for 9:45am (LL1)
9:45am - Book LL2 for 3:00pm
11am - Book PP for 5:30pm (LL3)

Do I have to wait until I tap in at 5:30 to book another LL or can I book a LL at 1pm (2 hours after booking LL3)?

Just trying to wrap my head around this. So here goes. Is the following scenario possible, would I be able to book another LL after I tap into Jungle Cruise at 9:45am?

Do I have to wait until I tap in at 5:30 to book another LL or can I book a LL at 1pm (2 hours after booking LL3)?
If I understand things correctly, you would be able to book another LL at 1 pm since LL3 is more than 2 hours away.

You can book your 3rd LL at 11:45, 2 hours after you tapped in to booked LL2. Not at 11am.

Please refer to Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7, post 3, booking eligibility.

edit: corrected per GBRforWDW, thx for catch.

Last edited:
You can book your 3rd LL at 11:45, 2 hours after you tapped in to LL2. Not at 11am.

Please refer to Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7, post 3, booking eligibility.
Correction, 2 hours after booking LL2 😁. Gotta wait to tap into the first ride, then book the second ride and 2 hours after that, can book LL3.

For @blossombrd, if you're wanting a 530 pass for PP, you should make that your second pick.
Screenshot_20220318-034126.png

According to the availability map, you're getting into late evening by noon time. Also since you can't guarantee a before 10 return for JC, you may have to wait until 11 and 1 for your second and third LLs, making it even more important to grab PP second.

does anyone have a list of what rides are 'refilling' lightning lanes and the times the drops are? thanks

My reservation is at Animal Kingdom...Park Opens at 7:30 AM. I was planning to park Hop to Magic Kingdom at 2:00 PM later that day. I was also planning on stacking LL reservations at 7:00 AM , 9:30 AM (7:30 + 2 hours), and 11:30 AM - ALL LL reservations would be for Magic Kingdom afternoon attractions. Will this work?

Also...could I buy a individual purchase lighting lane at 2 different parks in the same day (Flight of passage and 7 dwarfs)???

Please Help???

My reservation is at Animal Kingdom...Park Opens at 7:30 AM. I was planning to park Hop to Magic Kingdom at 2:00 PM later that day. I was also planning on stacking LL reservations at 7:00 AM , 9:30 AM (7:30 + 2 hours), and 11:30 AM - ALL LL reservations would be for Magic Kingdom afternoon attractions. Will this work?

Also...could I buy a individual purchase lighting lane at 2 different parks in the same day (Flight of passage and 7 dwarfs)???

Please Help???
Is magic Kingdom opening at 7:30? The 2 hours for park opening begins when the park you booked your first pass opens. If MK opens at 9, you could try for a park opening LL at Navi if you were planning to rope drop FoP or choose dinosaur or EE, for the 7:30, then as soon as you check in, Choose an mk LL, then every 2 hours after that, get MK LLs. So you might be able to get MK passes at 7:45, 9:46, 11:47 and 1:48 by doing it this way. I can't guarantee this will work, but I would think it would considering you redeemed a pass already.

Yes, you can buy ILL$ to both AK and MK on the same day.

Is anyone else having issue with the option to edit selection missing? Ie not being able to pin to attractions? It is missing on my app and we re here now.

Is anyone else having issue with the option to edit selection missing? Ie not being able to pin to attractions? It is missing on my app and we re here now.

Try going to My Day and click on Get Started Now (for Disney Genie). When you get to the Attractions, click on the one(s) you want to pin, and see if that works.

I thought I would try tracking a day of possible LL's from home. I know that on the ground, in the moment, would be different because of glitches and the whole choosing a time and maybe not getting it. However, I'm curious how close the following would be to using it in person and if I even did this right.
I tracked Magic Kingdom on 3/20/22.

7am book a LL for Winnie the Pooh at 8:45 (, I overslept so this first one is a guess. The rest are from actual times seen in the app).
Scan into Winnie the Pooh at 8:45 and book LL for Buzz at 9:35.
Scan into Buzz at 9:35 and book Haunted Mansion for 11:00am.
Scan into Haunted Mansion at 11 and book Jungle Cruise for 11:35 (I know! What are the odds of that happening again?!)
Scan into Jungle Cruise at 11:35 and book Splash Mt for 12:55.
Scan into Splash at 12:55. At this point I didn't get to check again until 1:35. At 1:35 book a LL for Peter Pan at 8:40.
At 3:35 book a LL for Laugh Floor at 3:40.
Scan into Laugh Floor at 3:40 and book Pirates for 6:20.
At 5:40 book a LL for Magic Carpets at 6:50.
Scan into Pirates at 6:20 and book Small World for 8:25,
Scan into Magic Carpets at 6:50 book Dumbo for 7:40.
Scan into Dumbo at 7:40 and book Speedway for 9:15.
Scan into Small World at 8:25 and book Teacups for 10.

I know some of those later ones probably wouldn't even need a LL, but I was trying to see how many I could fit into a day. I got 13, if I did that right. Feedback welcome!

Is magic Kingdom opening at 7:30? The 2 hours for park opening begins when the park you booked your first pass opens.
Curious if you (or anyone reading this) has experience with this? In a Touring Plans video made last week, they said the 2 hours for park opening begins for the park where you have your park reservation, not where you book your first LL 😕.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter