The Great Mask Debate

What do you think will happen regarding masks when WDW re-opens?

• There will be no mention of masks.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • They will be recommended but not required by anyone--guests or CMs.

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • They will be required by CMs only--no mention of guests.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • They will be required by everyone--guests and CMs (except toddlers).

Votes: 105 36.0%
  • They will not be required by the time the parks re-open because this won't be for a loooong time.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • The parks aren't opening for a long time so no need to worry about masks.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • They will be required for CMs and recommended for guests.

Votes: 153 52.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think masks should be encouraged, but ultimately optional. I think it would cause numerous problems if masks were *required* by guests. You just know that certain guests would take it upon themselves to police everyone they see not wearing one, which would definitely cause some nasty confrontations. Possibly even physical confrontations (look at the news articles about someone getting shot because they were told to put a mask on). Picture someone walking through the park who took their mask off for a moment to eat a handful of popcorn, and now someone sees them without a mask on (for a valid reason - eating) and walks up (more than likely violating the 6 ft social distancing rule in the process) to start scolding them. I'm not guessing the popcorn eater will be.... happy about that. And now as the argument heats up a poor cast member gets dragged into it ..... What's the cast member to do? If they say "put your mask on" then the popcorn eater will be yelling at the cast member about "how can I eat with a mask on?!". If the cast member tells the scolder "they are eating and can take the mask off" then the scolder will probably start yelling at the cast member about "masks being required" because that's how they interpret it. I've seen it out and about now, where we are told to wear masks when out it public when "social distancing is not possible", geared towards entering stores and enclosed places, and people are taking that as if you so much as walk outside your own house to your mailbox without a mask then you are breaking the law. You can say "just have security remove one or both parties then, easy!" except this will not be an isolated incident and will be happening all over the place.

It sounds like Chapek already knows it's going to be a problem. The production floor where I work is pretty much Florida summer heat and humidity all year. Fortunately, I only spend 2-3 hours a day in it with my required mask and it is miserable. I don't see how the operators manage for their 12 hour shifts. After 1 week of required masks, management changed the rules so that you could pull the mask down under your chin when on the production floor because it is almost unbearable. If masks are still required for my end of September DVC reservation, then I will try to switch to Vero Beach or just lose the points. I already know first hand what masks in that climate will be like and I'm not going on vacation to be miserable. I also can't imagine how much fun it would be trying to manage my kids with masks.

I'm resigned to the fact that they will be required for all. We will be flying (fingers crossed) so will be wearing them on a long flight anyway.

Looking for recommendations from those in hot humid areas - what masks are most comfortable? Not opposed to spending a little to get masks that we'd be wearing all day...in the sun...and the humidity.

My dh prefers masks that have ties or using a thing (sorry don’t know what they are called) that was printed on a 3D printer or crocheted to allow fastening in the back of the head. His ears were so sore from wearing elastic around them.

My dh prefers masks that have ties or using a thing (sorry don’t know what they are called) that was printed on a 3D printer or crocheted to allow fastening in the back of the head. His ears were so sore from wearing elastic around them.
AGREED - same experience. I downloaded a pattern and sewed some myself using an old pillowcase and some flannel we had on hand (can't go to a fabric store right now)- I like them, the ties are the way to go, but they are really warm. Considering Birdwell, but they are relatively expensive. I know they will be well made and the stretchy fabric and ties are appealing to me. I like the Disney ones too but they have the ear thingys to hold them on. I guess I could modify them so they tie-on if the face part is comfortable and not too hot.

It's really a no-brainer for the earlier phases of anything re-opening. What good would it do to have cast members with masks, but not guests? Masks protect others. If Disney is looking out for their cast members, and they usually are - guests will be required to wear them to protect other guests AND cast members. Not sure why this is even a big deal. If you feel you can't wear a mask at Disney or won't wear a mask at Disney, wait many months until the masks are no longer needed - then visit the parks. It's a very simple choice. The no-mask requirement will be back eventually.

Looks like we will be moving on to Phase II-The Great Mask Debate Continued!
That is what I'll be paying attention to after parks open due to trips planned later in the year.
Same. I rescheduled my July trip for April 2021. I’m hoping masks won’t be required at that time, but who knows these days.

I'm resigned to the fact that they will be required for all. We will be flying (fingers crossed) so will be wearing them on a long flight anyway.

Looking for recommendations from those in hot humid areas - what masks are most comfortable? Not opposed to spending a little to get masks that we'd be wearing all day...in the sun...and the humidity.
I have tried 4 different kinds: buff (synthetic material), bandana (cotton), 2-layer pleated cotton mask with pocket to insert a filter, and 3-ply paper mask. I have used them for errands and for exercise (fast walking for 30 minutes daily), so I have not worn any of them for extended periods of time. Here is my ranking of most to least comfortable:
1) 3-ply paper mask is the "coolest" and least annoying. It does have elastic ear loops, but they fit me fine without pulling, so that part is not an issue for me. I see how it could be a problem for some.
2) 2-layer cotton pleated mask with insert pocket for filter if desired. Mine has elastic loops. It is hotter than the paper mask, with or without a "filter". I have tried a paper coffee filter and a shop (heavier weight) paper towel as a filter, which does of course make it hotter and harder to breathe.
3)bandana - Hotter than the cotton pleated mask. I have mine tied in a way with elastic ear loops attached, so I don't have to tie it off in the back to wear it. However, it can be tied off that way, and then I just wear it around my neck like a scarf and attach ear loops if I need to pull it up.
4) buff - I know that many synthetic materials are designed to wick moisture, but boy this was the hottest one for me.
For me, the prospect of wearing a mask all day at Disney in the heat and humidity is a deal-breaker for many reasons, so I won't be going while they are required. However, for those who choose to go and wear masks, I hope this gives a little insight as to my experience trying different types of masks.

Chapek says wearing masks will be a "cultural adjustment." I see it more as an "oxygen adjustment"- and an unhealthy one at that.

I am hoping that he means required only in certain places- like buses, shops, and indoor theaters. If I absolutely had to, I could deal with that, since I can drive, and I can get out of shops and theaters quickly if I develop a headache or feel faint.

Now I really want parks to open very soon so the first couple of weeks before my trip can be the period when the whole mask fiasco fails and they end up scrapping (or deeply modifying) it.

I have tried 4 different kinds: buff (synthetic material), bandana (cotton), 2-layer pleated cotton mask with pocket to insert a filter, and 3-ply paper mask. I have used them for errands and for exercise (fast walking for 30 minutes daily), so I have not worn any of them for extended periods of time. Here is my ranking of most to least comfortable:
1) 3-ply paper mask is the "coolest" and least annoying. It does have elastic ear loops, but they fit me fine without pulling, so that part is not an issue for me. I see how it could be a problem for some.
2) 2-layer cotton pleated mask with insert pocket for filter if desired. Mine has elastic loops. It is hotter than the paper mask, with or without a "filter". I have tried a paper coffee filter and a shop (heavier weight) paper towel as a filter, which does of course make it hotter and harder to breathe.
3)bandana - Hotter than the cotton pleated mask. I have mine tied in a way with elastic ear loops attached, so I don't have to tie it off in the back to wear it. However, it can be tied off that way, and then I just wear it around my neck like a scarf and attach ear loops if I need to pull it up.
4) buff - I know that many synthetic materials are designed to wick moisture, but boy this was the hottest one for me.
For me, the prospect of wearing a mask all day at Disney in the heat and humidity is a deal-breaker for many reasons, so I won't be going while they are required. However, for those who choose to go and wear masks, I hope this gives a little insight as to my experience trying different types of masks.
Here's what I've tried - thanks for you r feedback;
  1. I tried the bandanna and couldn't keep the thing on, plus it's so sheer that how could it be doing any good? It made me irritable more than anything.
  2. I was goofing around in my garage the other day and found a neoprene face mask for skiing. I stuck a shop towel in it and put it on. I thought it would be an instant fail but you know what? It worked pretty well. It didn't fall off and I felt like I could breate decently. I wouldn't go running with it or wear it out in the heat, but better than I expected.
  3. I found a pattern on-line and sewed together a form-fitting mask that works pretty well. I tie it on with a single shoelace that I loop over my neck, and have sewn into the edges of the mask (near your ears), then tie on top of my head. This is my go-to when running errands. Not bad, but it gets hot.
  4. The best I've found is one that is a bit of a social faux pas - an N95 dust mask with elastic straps I had in my garage that I bought at Home Depot a LONG time before COVID that I have been using to do home projects. Now, nobody wants my old dusty mask, but if you wear a mask with an N95 stamp on it out in public these days and you aren't a nurse or doctor - yeah, don't do that. BUT - I wore it while I was sanding the paint off of an old desk over the weekend and almost forgot I had it on. I should note it also has an exhaust flap on the front and those don't really protect the people around you as your expelled breath is unfiltered.

I can appreciate that the heat will be a challenge and that those with legitimate medical issues that prevent them from wearing masks will need to be accommodated, just as is the case with school vaccination requirements as an example, but I think as people start to return to workplaces where mask wearing is required all day long acceptance will grow. Hopefully continued education about the mutual benefits will help with acceptance--the religious denomination with which I associate has even created a prayer for the wearing of a mask, related to the commandment to protect life. That said, I think that this thread shows that those like me and my family, who currently wouldn't be comfortable being in a potentially close contact environment where not everyone is wearing a mask, would be better off deferring a Disney vacation as we have chosen to do.

Chapek says wearing masks will be a "cultural adjustment." I see it more as an "oxygen adjustment"- and an unhealthy one at that.

I am hoping that he means required only in certain places- like buses, shops, and indoor theaters. If I absolutely had to, I could deal with that, since I can drive, and I can get out of shops and theaters quickly if I develop a headache or feel faint.

Now I really want parks to open very soon so the first couple of weeks before my trip can be the period when the whole mask fiasco fails and they end up scrapping (or deeply modifying) it.

My interpretation of Chapek's statement about "cultural adjustment" is that we will need to become more accepting of wearing the masks all the time in public like the people in the Asian countries are.

WDW will require masks everywhere, walking around and on rides in addition to busses and shows. If someone doesn't want to wear a mask, stay out of WDW for now.

I have one that ties at head and neck, given to me for a med. procedure. I was lightheaded after 5 mins and asked if I could remove it. I don't see how surgeons can wear them for hours.

DH has already said if masks are required in Nov. we will cancel.

I have one that ties at head and neck, given to me for a med. procedure. I was lightheaded after 5 mins and asked if I could remove it. I don't see how surgeons can wear them for hours.

DH has already said if masks are required in Nov. we will cancel.
I am with you.
If masks are still required in Nov, we will save ourselves $5,000..
Hoping the hysteria dies down by then.

My interpretation of Chapek's statement about "cultural adjustment" is that we will need to become more accepting of wearing the masks all the time in public like the people in the Asian countries are.

WDW will require masks everywhere, walking around and on rides in addition to busses and shows. If someone doesn't want to wear a mask, stay out of WDW for now.

Cultural adjustments don't occur overnight- or over the summer.

If masks are required everywhere, and that is a really big if, it will be fun to see how creative people get with making themselves comfortable. We are certainly a very creative culture.

OMG, people are losing their minds over the whole mask issue and what Bob Chapek said today. Are people really that blind to all the social cues over the last few weeks, that they thought oh Disney would never make you wear a mask like they do in at the grocery store???

Its just really interesting to see the huge backlash on here, I can't get my head around it. It like people think all this will be over in a few weeks and Disney will go back to the way it was before Covid 19.

I just can't believe that the wearing of masks in Disney is such a deal breaker for so many people. Is every one really going to just not going to something they obviously enjoy just because of the facemask??

I’m confident this is something they will soon realize can’t be enforced. There’s too many factors involved that prove it makes no sense. Besides the obvious reason of heat and people passing out, here are more reasons I think it won’t make ANY sense:
1) people won’t have the correct masks
2) people won’t wear their masks correctly
3) kids will pull off their masks constantly
4) wearing masks on rides. Picture Space Mountain. Or any roller coaster for that matter. The person behind me is getting my air. You have masks flying off on roller coasters, or if you’re a screamer you’ll be suffocating with that mask on.
5) dining. You obviously can’t eat with a mask on. You’re server still has to bring you your meal right?
6) bars. Sitting at a bar with a mask on?
7) losing your mask. Will they provide you with a new mask? Or will you be forced to buy another one? If not, will they ask you to leave?
8) then there is liability with people passing out in the heat of summer with a mask. They better have those paramedic trucks lined up outside the park because they will be carrying people away in droves.

I’m not worried about it, and I am going in August. I am confident they will come to see It is an impossible requirement to enforce!!!

They’ll probably require it initially, then back off within a few weeks to recommended.

We won’t go if “masks” are required.

For one, the only ones we can get here are cloth ones. These are difficult to breathe well in, and I absolutely can not prevent my glasses from fogging. (Yes, I have tried putting in wire. I think my nose has a weird shape.) A surgical mask may go better, but where am I going to get 50 or more (for when they get wet or wrecked over the course of every day). Isn’t there a shortage? I’ve heard from lots of medical workers that they are reusing everything they can.

Two, if masks are required, I’m also assuming face character interactions are out. Which is a big strike for me, since this trip was supposed to be our first Cinderella castle dining experience. Other strikes would be cancelled fireworks and shows or severely limited dining options. I will not spend $3000 for what would be to me a “less-than” trip. (If it was severely discounted, this may not be as big a factor.)

Three, and this is minor, but I do not want masks in photos. (Note: I’m not talking about others wearing masks in the background, I’m talking about not seeing my sparkling face in front of the castle.)

Four, if masks are required, is it really a good idea to congregate?

Even if masks are recommended, we may not go. There’s already tons of backlash for people who choose not to wear masks, even when they’re not required. I don’t want to spend an entire trip getting guilted by others.

For the record, I’m not anti-mask. I’ve worn them to work and to get gas. But I don’t want to worry about them on vacation, so I’ll just stay home or do something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter