The Marvels

Where did you see that? I did not see that at all. I swear, if a movie has women in the trailer it is automatically flagged as being marketed solely at women.
they cast 3 women to play women super heroes...the nerve

and i didn't see anything in the marketing to suggest it was only being marketed to a certain group

i'm a 39 year old married army veteran white guy with an 11 year old and I was hype for it.

if i was a Disney shareholder i'd be more worried about what the RCID is doing to the company and not what the marvels did in the box office, Disney will bounce back with Wish

Re: the box office take - I think people are underestimating the affect the actor's strike has had on movie promos lately.
normal well adjusted people know that. I also don't think and they seem to be doing a correction on this in the future that the crossover from disney streaming to in theater movies is working how they wanted it to work.

Killers of the flower moon did 23M in its first weekend

Last edited:
“Why not simply make Captain Marvel 2? Why produce The Marvels when your audience identified, empathized, and even hero-identified with Brie Larson’s character? More importantly, why offer people similar or the same characters and stories that are on Disney+ if you expect them to go to a theater together? Disney/Marvel diluted their product,” says one film producer. “Of course, a picture works or fails for other reasons too, but losing so much value picture-over-picture is rare and hard to do.”

This is a good point. The name gets a bit confusing here. Captain Marvel was well received. This should have been positioned as a proper sequel, regardless of the time-jump, etc. It certainly ahd enough call-backs. Sometimes it's all in a name.

Not sure if it mattered with how polarizing (with one side of the country) Brie Larson has become since Captain Marvel, but Captain Marvel likely wouldn't have somewhat required you to watch Ms Marvel and Wandavision but I do think they did a pretty good job filling you in with whats going on.

But to put a cherry on it I thought all 3 actors were really strong and it was a fun, good movie and an entertaining way to spend a few hours in the movie theaters. The villain was meh but there was some awesome action scenes and some decent comedy especially with the parents

IMO the biggest problem with the movie was Nick Fury, Im over Nick Fury in the MCU time to go.

out of 33 MCU Films i have it on my letterbox at 20.

Last edited:
I was not surprised this did poorly. I don't feel it was bad marketing, the lack of actors to market the film, or superhero fatigue. I think it simply has to do with needing to watch the Disney+ shows to be interested and not enough people have done that. It's the same reason Ahsoka didn't do as well as Book of Boba Fett, Mandalorian, or Obi Wan. You had to go into Ahsoka knowing the storyline and why it was set up the way it was.

Disney has got to stop doing this with their movies and shows. The cross pollination of MCU and Disney+ shows is only going to lead to more box office flops. You are asking way too much of the audience to care about these new characters who they may have not even seen before. If this was a straight Captain Marvel stand alone movie, it would've stood a better chance. I enjoyed it but I already watched WandaVision and Ms. Marvel first so I was familiar with everything. If this was a continuation of Carol out in the universe helping after the blip with some nod to the Multiverse or Kang then it might've done better.

If you look at most of the sequel movies, they aren't dropping in what appear to be established characters and relationships into the sequel. Winter Soldier, they build up Cap and Natasha's relationship. You already have Cap's close relationship with Bucky established. In Civil War, they add in a new character, Black Panther, but give you his backstory. They don't drop Black Panther in and just assume you know who he is. Guardians 2, more building on existing relationships from the first film. Iron Man 2, they build upon the existing Tony and Rhodey relationship. The only one that broke that mold was Dr. Strange 2 and they have an already established character in Wanda to play the villain. That said, the writer of DS2 didn't even know how WandaVision turned out and that was evident from how she was written in the movie and the sudden maniacal turn she had.

I think the decision to take this from a Carol movie to a Carol + Kamala + Monica movie was a serious miscalculation. It felt more like something that should've been on Disney+, not a theatrical release. I think Marvel needs to really take their time and figure things out with the direction they are going to go. I know some are hoping Fantastic Four changes the current slide but I feel like that's a story whose time has passed. They're also going to have to pivot away from the Multiverse, both because of Jonathon Major's legal issues but also because it's already stale. I don't have a ton of faith that a Falcon Captain America movie or the Thunderbolts is going to be the trick either. You have to watch the Bucky and Cap show to know why he's now fully decked out Captain America. Deadpool 3 will do great because it's something people want more of. It might be smart to add Deadpool to the Thunderbolts movie or at least have it tie into that story.

Last edited:
I was not surprised this did poorly. I don't feel it was bad marketing, the lack of actors to market the film, or superhero fatigue. I think it simply has to do with needing to watch the Disney+ shows to be interested and not enough people have done that. It's the same reason Ahsoka didn't do as well as Book of Boba Fett, Mandalorian, or Obi Wan. You had to go into Ahsoka knowing the storyline and why it was set up the way it was.

Disney has got to stop doing this with their movies and shows. The cross pollination of MCU and Disney+ shows is only going to lead to more box office flops. You are asking way too much of the audience to care about these new characters who they may have not even seen before. If this was a straight Captain Marvel stand alone movie, it would've stood a better chance. I enjoyed it but I already watched WandaVision and Ms. Marvel first so I was familiar with everything. If this was a continuation of Carol out in the universe helping after the blip with some nod to the Multiverse or Kang then it might've done better.

If you look at most of the sequel movies, they aren't dropping in what appear to be established characters and relationships into the sequel. Winter Soldier, they build up Cap and Natasha's relationship. You already have Cap's close relationship with Bucky established. In Civil War, they add in a new character, Black Panther, but give you his backstory. They don't drop Black Panther in and just assume you know who he is. Guardians 2, more building on existing relationships from the first film. Iron Man 2, they build upon the existing Tony and Rhodey relationship. The only one that broke that mold was Dr. Strange 2 and they have an already established character in Wanda to play the villain. That said, the writer of DS2 didn't even know how WandaVision turned out and that was evident from how she was written in the movie and the sudden maniacal turn she had.

I think the decision to take this from a Carol movie to a Carol + Kamala + Monica movie was a serious miscalculation. It felt more like something that should've been on Disney+, not a theatrical release. I think Marvel needs to really take their time and figure things out with the direction they are going to go. I know some are hoping Fantastic Four changes the current slide but I feel like that's a story whose time has passed. They're also going to have to pivot away from the Multiverse, both because of Jonathon Major's legal issues but also because it's already stale.

I think you have a valid point about some of this. I do think that the Star Wars shows have done a better job of giving you what you need to understand them, however that is assuming that people actually watch. The name "Ahsoka" might not mean much to viewers to let them know why they should tune in. "Andor" is the same. The shows need better names - more exicitng ones. Andor could have been called "Star Wars: Spark of Rebellion" or something like that. Yes, it's about Andor, but that doesn't matter. "Obi Wan" gets away with it because people actually know his name, though it could still have a better name.

The MCU shows, and the MCU, on the other hand are very heavily reliant on viewers having watched everything. That was at a time their strength, but with 30 movies or so, it really isn't. It's intimidating and doesn't appeal to newcomers. Star Wars could get to that point too, but they haven't just yet with a still fairly light amount of media. It doesn't help that the MCU D+ shows haven't been all that good. It's one thing to say, you need to watch this excellent movie and one TV series to get the backstory, but it's another to say you need to wattch Ms. Marvel and Secret Invasion, which will leave you dissatisfied by the end. Of course, The Marvels actually really didn't require those as viewing to understand (it actually ddn't even mention Secret Invasion), but it can still help somewhat. WandaVision is a little more intertwined with Monica's story, but at least it was good!

The MCU has become comic books - and that's NOT a good thing. History has become baggage, and few fans other than the most dedicated will be interested in unraveling it all just to have a good time at the movies.

Last edited:
We haven't had a star wars movie in like 5 years which is sad

I love the way they tie in the skywalker movies with the newer shows but then you have people complain that its all just fan service etc...can't win

We haven't had a star wars movie in like 5 years which is sad

I love the way they tie in the skywalker movies with the newer shows but then you have people complain that its all just fan service etc...can't win

Honestly, it's better to me that they don't crank them out. I worry that they are doing too many shows. I have enjoyed them, but it could become overwhelming.

Just got back ($7 Tuesdays here) and now I know why I kept seeing the post credits being mentioned. So glad I didn’t get spoilers.

The movie itself was fine. I liked Captain Marvel more but I liked the team up in this one. I liked Monica going into it from having watched Wandavision but they gave backstories if you haven’t seen everything else. Carol is cool. Kamala was a cute fan girl.

The singing was weird. Disney Princess nod.

“We have our heading” is what she said, right? Pirates nod. And Disney dvd opening montage for a while?

I don’t think I’ll ever tire of Samuel L Jackson. I was glad when he finally shot that person I assume in the face. Seemed like those guys should have been made light work of. But they were switching a lot.

I’m a fan of the beastie boys’ song so wasn’t bothered by it. I did read about that before.

Was Halla in any other MCU movie or show? I think I knew it from a Lego game, though.

Villain was kind of forgettable. And went from dying, to steal the cuff, to just dying anyway real quick.

I knew exactly what was going to happen when a kitten came out of an egg after the audience was told they were out of life pods? But I envisioned kittens just flying through space.

The didn’t say Monica’s name when she was all charged up. Photon, right?

Post-credits: Finally!

I did just see captain America got pushed back and that’s disappointing. I was ready for more Anthony Mackie after Twisted Metal and If You Were the Last.

Last edited:
Just got back ($7 Tuesdays here) and now I know why I kept seeing the post credit being mentioned. So glad I didn’t get spoilers.

The movie itself was fine. I liked Captain Marvel more but I liked the team up in this one. I liked Monica going into it from having watched Wandavision but they gave backstories if you haven’t seen everything else. Carol is cool. Kamala was a cute fan girl.

“We have our heading” is what she said, right? Pirates nod. And Disney dvd opening montage for a while?

I don’t think I’ll ever tire of Samuel L Jackson. I was glad when he finally shot that person I assume in the face. Seemed like those guys should have been made light work of. But they were switching a lot.

I’m a fan of the beastie boys’ song so wasn’t bothered by it. I did read about that before.

Was Halla in any other MCU movie or show? I think I knew it from a Lego game, though.

Villain was kind of forgettable. And went from dying, to steal the cuff, to just dying anyway real quick.

I knew exactly what was going to happen when a kitten came out of an egg after the audience was told they were out of life pods? But I envisioned kittens just flying through space.

Post-credit: Finally!

I did just see captain America got pushed back and that’s disappointing. I was ready for more Anthony Mackie after Twisted Metal and If You Were the Last.

Hala is in the first Captain Marvel and is the Kree Homeworld.

Monica has no codename in the MCU, however in the comics she has been known as Captain Marvel, Spectrum, Photon, and Pulsar. Her mother did use the callsign Photon as shown on the side or her jet. Carol was of course Avenger.

Last edited:
Hala is in the first Captain Marvel and is the Kree Homeworld.

Monica has no codemane in the MCU, however in teh comics she has been known as Captain Marvel, Spectrum, Photon, Pulsar. Her mother did use the callsign Photon as shown on the side or her jet. Carol was of course Avenger.

Thanks. I could have used a refresher before watching this one.

Just got back ($7 Tuesdays here) and now I know why I kept seeing the post credits being mentioned. So glad I didn’t get spoilers.

Post-credits: Finally!

the singing reminded me of something we would see in GOTG as did the kittens eating the people lol

I think because of the combination of Disney+ characters and a mostly theatrical character that people probably feel out of the loop and will wait for it on D+ or go after word of mouth happens. Ever since I saw the first trailer, I told my husband it was on my list to see in the theatre. He never expressed any hesitancy about seeing it, even if he was unfamiliar with 2/3 of the main characters. We do still enjoy most MCU films.

Maybe this is inaccurate but it seems to me that this film didn't appeal to anyone that didn't watch the previous Marvel content beforehand or didn't care to. General audiences don't really want to have to "study" to go see a movie in theaters.

I also think Marvel is putting out too many projects that are mediocre or slightly above average for people to keep track of them all. None of my friends who are into Marvel have any interest in seeing this in theaters. They'll wait for the Disney+ release.

i don't blame people for not wanting to go back and watch a tv show to understand a movie. its a big ask for a studio of their audience

i kept trying to explain to people they need to watch Rebels to really get Ahsoka and nobody wanted to watch a cartoon no matter how much i said its amazing

i don't blame people for not wanting to go back and watch a tv show to understand a movie. its a big ask for a studio of their audience

i kept trying to explain to people they need to watch Rebels to really get Ahsoka and nobody wanted to watch a cartoon no matter how much i said its amazing

Yeah, some peopel are resistant to animation no matter what. They just don't understand that it is the highest form of art! 😁

Yeah, some peopel are resistant to animation no matter what. They just don't understand that it is the highest form of art! 😁
imagine watching enter the spider-verse and being like "nah not for me"

im also a star wars junkie though so i consume all content

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter