The new DVC Riviera Resort??

Most of the time it will simply be walk on-walk off, and even in busy times, the line will move right along

In my experience, complaints about transport at the high volume exit times occur regardless of how fast the line moves. If people cannot walk right on, they complain.

I do think they'll be handling less than 4,000 per hour, just because once you have a stroller or ECV, most units will not be holding maximum capacity.

In my experience, complaints about transport at the high volume exit times occur regardless of how fast the line moves. If people cannot walk right on, they complain.

I do think they'll be handling less than 4,000 per hour, just because once you have a stroller or ECV, most units will not be holding maximum capacity.

It's a crime when wait times are 120 minutes for Radiator Spring Racers, and the CM loading the cars sends cars out with empty seats! That's with the Single Rider queue packed to maximum and the riders staring angrily at the CM too. Always makes me want to submit a feedback that CMs need to pass a Tetris test with high scores before they can be allowed to be in charge of loading :sad2:

If Disney could somehow find a way to include walking access, this would be a no brainer yes for me. I like the concept and location. However, to be so close and yet limited to a transportation system with the many potential issues that folks have raised here leaves it ranked no better than a questionable maybe.

I think it depends on the point structure and sale price, but also on the room configurations. People seem to want studios that sleep 5 (bonus would be 1 1/2 bathrooms-meaning 2 toilets not 2 showers), and 1BRs (with 2 full bathrooms!) that sleep 6. THAT would really attract buyers to a location that is a bit further away from most of the parks. Add to that, a rumor of a new studio that sleeps only 2.....

I hope to stay there to see how it is, I like to try all the DVC locations at WDW (still need to stay at SS).

If Disney could somehow find a way to include walking access, this would be a no brainer yes for me. I like the concept and location. However, to be so close and yet limited to a transportation system with the many potential issues that folks have raised here leaves it ranked no better than a questionable maybe.

The gondola system is proven in multiple countries worldwide, across a range of weather conditions. The concerns raised by most are raised out of unfamiliarity with these systems.

The gondola system is proven in multiple countries worldwide, across a range of weather conditions. The concerns raised by most are raised out of unfamiliarity with these systems.

I agree. The gondolas they have chosen work well in rain or shine. They work in the High winds, they work in lightning. They will carry probably at least 4000 passengers per hour. And they will move continuously 10 to 15 mph. I think they will be an eye-opener for many people.

And Riviera is so close to Epcot that the gondola ride to Epcot will be a matter of a minute or two. It will be almost as if you walk out your front door and you’re at the back of Epcot. I predict that that fact alone will make Riviera very high demand.

We are a family that goes skiing, so we’re very familiar with the gondola concept. We’ve also used them in other countries. The lines are always manageable for any gondola we’ve been on. However, the crowds at any one gondola are never anywhere near what they will be for a Disney mode of transportation. I’m concerned about the speed with Disney crowds as well. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a stroller or ECV trying to get on one of those gondolas which will greatly impact the speed. I still push a stroller with my youngest at Disney. I want to see how it all plays out before I pass judgment on them as we loves gondola rides.

Last edited:

This. Though I hope the concerns raised by so many cause Disney to keep the point charts decent long enough for DH and I to buy in. I am selfish enough to hope the doubts and naysayers have an effect for a year or so.

If I am understanding the gondola system correctly and it works as planned it seems like it will be more reliable than the monorail.

I am excited to hear more about it!

Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a stroller or ECV trying to get on one of those gondolas which will greatly impact the speed. I still push a stroller with my youngest at Disney. I want to see how it all plays out before I pass judgment on them as we loves gondola rides.

The system should allow to detach a gondola from the line to allow to load an ECV or weelchair and then reattach it

Do we know the size of the resort yet? Is it comparable to BLT? Since BLT is frequently available at 7 months and if this is comparable or bigger, does anyone think that it’s size makes it less attractive vs buying a resale? I realize studios will be tough to get, but just wondering what value the “home” window will yield if it’s a large resort... it could be the most super awesome resort in DVC but with enough inventory it seems less attractive to own as opposed to just visit

The system should allow to detach a gondola from the line to allow to load an ECV or weelchair and then reattach it

The equipment they are using absolutely will allow that. It's one of the major features.

All the "what about lightning???" and similar is just getting silly. This is nowhere close to Doppelmayr's first rodeo. Disney are working with, literally, the best. Swiss-Austrian engineering. Proven tech. Used in tropical climates. Used in climates subject to monsoon. Used in windy climates. Used over water. Used on mountains. The actual runtime data is large. None of this is theoretical.

All the "but rain! but lightning!!!" is silly. I am pretty sure they know it rains in Florida. And I am pretty sure all the data is part of the overall insurance profile for the system, which was heavily considered before they started digging.

Last edited:
Do we know the size of the resort yet? Is it comparable to BLT? Since BLT is frequently available at 7 months and if this is comparable or bigger, does anyone think that it’s size makes it less attractive vs buying a resale? I realize studios will be tough to get, but just wondering what value the “home” window will yield if it’s a large resort... it could be the most super awesome resort in DVC but with enough inventory it seems less attractive to own as opposed to just visit

The first filing suggests it will be pretty big. Unit definition is a weird thing, but based on the declaration, it won't be small.

ETA: Explanation here: https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resor...receives-timeshare-license-for-riviera-resort

CCV was 184 "homes." Poly was 380. This is going to be 341. Now, how a "home" breaks down in practice vs. the license is weird, but that is also explained in the article.

Last edited:
We are a family that goes skiing, so we’re very familiar with the gondola concept. We’ve also used them in other countries. The lines are always manageable for any gondola we’ve been on. However, the crowds at any one gondola are never anywhere near what they will be for a Disney mode of transportation. I’m concerned about the speed with Disney crowds as well. Also, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a stroller or ECV trying to get on one of those gondolas which will greatly impact the speed. I still push a stroller with my youngest at Disney. I want to see how it all plays out before I pass judgment on them as we loves gondola rides.

The gondola stations they're building look huge. If they build large loading platforms, with the ground level gondolas (no step up or down to get in) geared to move super slow in the loading area, most stroller aged families should have no problem. I move much faster pushing a double pram while barking orders for the two older kids to fall in line, than when I'm carrying two sets of skis in ski boots!

The ECVs are a different category of difficulty… but a separate loading area with detachable gondolas should hopefully work.

I agree. The gondolas they have chosen work well in rain or shine. They work in the High winds, they work in lightning. They will carry probably at least 4000 passengers per hour. And they will move continuously 10 to 15 mph. I think they will be an eye-opener for many peo

Yes. The system consists of individual Gondolas which can be separated from the “main rope” track and put onto a sidetrack and then back onto the main rope once they load. So people in wheelchairs or with strollers or other special requirements can get in at their leisure and then he put back into the mainline.

People who are mobility impaired will have their own loading area. It will not impact other people

Last edited:
I move much faster pushing a double pram while barking orders for the two older kids to fall in line, than when I'm carrying two sets of skis in ski boots!

Hahaha. Isn’t this the truth?!? I’m a pro with the stroller. I cannot hang onto all the skis if my life depended on it. I’m always dropping them and/or pinching my fingers.

Yes. The system consists of individual Gondolas which can be separated from the “main rope” track and put onto a sidetrack and then back onto the main rope once they load. So people in wheelchairs or with strollers or other special requirements can get in at their leisure and then he put back into the mainline. People who are mobility impaired will have their own loading area. It will not impact other people

I'm thinking of the haunted mansion loading situation. When was the last time anyone went through the entire ride without "your doombuggy will restart momentarily"? Even when separate loading is available, people decide to join the main line for whatever reason…

Last edited:
Hahaha. Isn’t this the truth?!? I’m a pro with the stroller. I cannot hang onto all the skis if my life depended on it. I’m always dropping them and/or pinching my fingers.
Hahaha, I have our next ski trip figured out. An unsuspecting (childless) couple volunteered to ski with us, unaware how much LESS cool and more work their holiday would be. I know they're good friends and we shouldn't take advantage of them. But the free Sherpa coverage!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter