*** The Official December 2019 thread ***

Does anyone know what the Animal Kingdom "digital value card" priced at $50 is all about....I understand it does come with 2 seats for 2nd showing of ROL (not in reserved seating area) and a $10 bonus card good at several QS for later in the day...but it doesn't appear to actually save any money on food items so once you purchase $50 worth of ind. food items thats it??? So is the value simply that you receive the extra $10 bonus card?
I think I understood it after reading the Disney Food Blog Post about it and you are correct that the value is in the $10 card withe date restrictions and the 2 reserved seats for the second RoL. Here is a quote that might be helpful:

The Tasting Sampler — which goes on sale [10/8/2019] — costs $50 and includes two digital value cards: one $50 card that can be used at over 40 outdoor food and beverage locations throughout the park (and does not expire), and a bonus $10 card that can be used at the following quick-service restaurants after 4 PM from December 22, 2019 through January 4, 2020: Restaurantosaurus, Pizzafari, Flame Tree Barbecue, and Satu’li Canteen.

Not something that would be useful for our travels in early December, but might be good for some of the group!

We'll be in Orlando 12/21-12/27! We are staying at the Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista at Disney Springs. It's just DH and me this trip, and he's not a huge Disney fan so we are only doing one day, but I don't care, I'm pumped! On 12/24 we are having a CP breakfast at 9am at Ale&Compass. We'll spend the bulk of the day at AK (FP for LionKing, Safari, and FoP- DH's never seen Pandora, very excited to show him), also introduce him to Nomad Lounge :drinking1then over to Epcot to nosh at the Holiday Kitchens, do the 8:15CP, then the Epcot fireworks show. Who knows, maybe we'll hit Jellyrolls or Disney Springs AFTER Epcot! Our other plans include lounging around, doing the WWoHP, seeing an old friend who lives in Cocoa Beach, and eating at Boma, Raglan Road, and Narcoosees. The meals might change over time, but right now, we are good with this plan. I am excited to greet Christmas at Disney!!

I can't believe we are less than 2 months out! By the time our trip rolls around we will really, really be ready for a vacation. The end of the year is always so stressful, or at least it has been pretty consistently the past few years. Can't wait to be sitting in front of the fireplace at Wilderness Lodge, hopefully with some hot cocoa!

I can't believe we are less than 2 months out! By the time our trip rolls around we will really, really be ready for a vacation. The end of the year is always so stressful, or at least it has been pretty consistently the past few years. Can't wait to be sitting in front of the fireplace at Wilderness Lodge, hopefully with some hot cocoa!
My family is so excited for the same! It is our 1st stay at WL.

Has anyone heard anything about changes in the current Magical Express 3 hr pick-up window for returning from resort to MCO??? I know last year the pick ups were 4hrs ahead of flight times due to holiday crowds at airport. Just trying to make sure our brunch ADR on Xmas Day is going to work with pick up schedule.

Has anyone heard anything about changes in the current Magical Express 3 hr pick-up window for returning from resort to MCO??? I know last year the pick ups were 4hrs ahead of flight times due to holiday crowds at airport. Just trying to make sure our brunch ADR on Xmas Day is going to work with pick up schedule.
I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with this info in the coming days. Travel during this time can be crazy busy. We leave for home on Dec 16th but we are leaving from the dark side so an Uber will be required for us anyway. I think I'll stick with the 3 hour plan.

I got my FP complete on Sunday. I was able to snag everything I wanted in close to or exactly the time I wanted. SDD on day 2 was the only one we went to evening versus the afternoon. FOP on day 5 and FEA on day 6 we go at the exact times we wanted. Now the waiting begins!!

My last two DME times were closer to 3.5 hours than 3.

Princess Mom 87 said:
Any advice I would be saving 300 since I have two one day passes for my kids just need to purchase my husband and I a ticket a piece since our younger two are free. I was thinking if I do a 2 day hopper instead of total of 4 tickets I would be saving around 200. Plus have an off day to hang around and sleep in.

Checking in 21st I would do
22nd MK then hop to HS
23 resort day sleep in
24 all day Mk
25 Epcot and HS or AK & Epcot and maybe back to Hs at night if we don’t finish a ride we want

Or

22nd HS
23 and 24 MK
25 epcot

I’m just worried about hopping with the Christmas season and hoping I can finish MK without doing two full days

Good evening - In an attempt to regain my sanity with planning a 4-generation 23-person family trip beginning Jan 2nd - at the Grand Floridian Club Level - I booked a solo trip with less than 60 days Advance Notice beginning Dec. 15th (staying at the Yacht Club) and the FP+ were picked over for my solo trip.

What's important for Reconnaissance:

• Ins and Outs of Magical Express - we've never used it before as we have driven but many of our family members will be using it in Jan.
  • Looking at the parks from a perspective of being with kiddos.
  • I haven't traveled with kids for 20 years, and we will have (in our group): 12, 11, 10, 8, (two) 3 1/2, and 1. DH will be hanging a lot with the 10 & 8 year-olds a lot as his sister's husband isn't coming. I have agreed to be a floater, helping where folks need an extra hand (most likely with one of the 3 1/2 year olds or the 10 & 8 Year olds.)
  • Figuring out what the Monorail resorts may have to entice my MIL (whose 90th birthday we are celebrating) away from the Grand Floridian to explore/enjoy.
  • Scoping Out Character Greetings
  • Seeing what folks might want to slow down and enjoy in between rushing to the next ride.

What's important to ME to enjoy the solo trip
  • I love MK. The nostalgia of simply walking down Main Street, riding some classics, and riding 7 Dwarfs, Big Thunder, and Splash.
  • Gosh, I love Happily Ever After. But I've never seen it in the parks. Only from either the GF or Contemporary.
  • I am an early riser and want to be at the parks 1st thing
  • I love FOOD. There is the Festival of the Holiday Booths, Dole Whip, and so many places to try! Last year, we stayed club level and ate 80% of the time in the club. So, i haven't tried any of the cute snacks that Disney Food Blog shares. And I have yet to make any dining reservations of note yet.
  • Will I regret not doing the Candlelight Processional? Looks like Gary Sinese is the narrator for the bulk of my visit
Of note: I had a perfect 4 night / 5 day trip planned in Sept that I had to cancel due to Dorian.

So, here's where I am

• I was able to get FOP for Sunday night when I arrive - a 6 PM-ish FP. But do I want to spend my 1st day at AK? My instinct would be to go near the hotel (Epcot or DHS) or if I need to hop a bus, to go to my favorite park.
  • I haven't spent much time a AK - I did back when it first opened and only a 1/2 day last year (but I have never ridden FOP). And, I don't know if that will be a priority for our family trip.
  • I want to enjoy Epcot Festival of the Holidays.
  • I want to go to GF to see the Gingerbread House.
  • I have not yet scheduled a Very Merry Christmas Party. There's one on Sunday and Tuesday evenings. And I've NEVER been to one (though I have done DAH)
  • I have NOT been able to get a FP to Slinky.
  • Right now, I was able to get a PPO dining at BOG - but I don't know if I'm cut out for RD to Fireworks on Monday. Which also means there's only 1 Happily Ever After I can catch (on Monday). It was easy to go back and forth to the resort when I was staying on the Monorail loop, but all the way back to YC?
  • I was able to get 7DMT on Monday and Tuesday both. So, right now, both days are tied to MK which seems excessive since I am so close to DHS and Epcot.

What do you do or suggest?

Would you add a Very Merry Christmas Party? Would you do the Dessert Party for Happy Ever After on Monday? Would you hope for a SDD FP or RD DHS? Since I am 46-ish days away from the trip I need to get more dialed in before the 30 day window opens for off-site guests. HELP!

PS - going to make dinner so may not be back to this thread til tomorrow. But you were all so helpful in helping me decide the best hotel for my solo trip.

Seriously, you do you. You are looking for details for a bigger trip in a month, which is fine! With that wide range, headliners may become secondary to making sure everyone can enjoy the bulk of the trip. So with this trip, try to ride FoP and 7DMT like crazy. Want to spend entra time in the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki room, go for it! Go slow, and take your time to scope out what you need, and take notes, but also balance that out for you.

If a morning EMH and HEA are the same day, maybe take a break in the middle. Just because you don't have kids this trip doesn't mean you can't go take a nap if you want.

The Candlelight Processional is great if you like Christmas music. Not just general holiday music, but specifically the story of the birth of Christ. All in all, though, it's a wonderful production.

And your MIL. It's her birthday, don't try to change her. I don't know anything about your MIL, but I know mine, and if you get her out of her routine, she'll do nothing but complain complain complain about how this isn't right, and this is wrong, and she misses this, and... you just don't want to deal with that.

My two cents - your group trip will be driven by the children and your elderly mother in law. There will be no "rushing to the next ride." Children are easily distracted by whatever they see at the moment, the mother in law won't be able to move fast, and there will be multiple bathroom/snack/rest breaks that you can't anticipate. I imagine your party will be breaking off into smaller groups and going their own way/doing their own priorities. Decide which attractions are most important for whomever to see and focus on getting those done. Anything else will be a bonus. As for your solo trip, I would encourage you to see the Candlelight Processional, as it is a top notch show . If you don't want to get a dining package or stand in line forever, you can watch it in a standing room area just at the back of the theater. It's more visual than aural, so you can more or less take it in from wherever you can hear it back there. I personally am not a big fan of MVMCP, having done a few and finding them way more crowded than I expected, and it's a pretty good chunk of change for the ticket. But many others feel it is a not-to-be missed event. There are many reviews of it on this forum. If you've never been, then you should probably go and try it out for yourself. HEA at MK is incredibly, beyond belief crowded on the three nights of the week that there isn't a MVMCP. You'd have to stake out a spot probably well over an hour before HEA, and by the time it starts, you'll be jammed together with everyone else to the point that you can barely breathe, let alone move. It isn't fun. For that reason alone, I'm a big fan of the plaza garden dessert party. The desserts themselves aren't that big a deal, but having a non-crowded, perfectly centered viewing area for HEA is worth every penny, IMHO.

This was probably already talked about. Question, do people try and decorate for Christmas when there? Thinking of getting a small fake Christmas tree
I'm planning on decorating like mad ;) We'll be there for actual Christmas day. We're driving, so can get away with it. We'll have a fiber optic Christmas tree, lights, garland, a door decoration etc. We were at AK one year and had a blast decorating - of course - we got in trouble for decorating the balcony - you can't do that there as something could fall into the savanna.

I completely agree about the dessert events. So expensive for what they are.
I paid for the Dessert Party for the Plaza Garden Viewing for Christmas Eve itself. Like others said, I got the reservation for the spot, not the food, though the food is nice. If they only included alcohol like the ones at HS, I could easily make my money back ;) But I expect the park to be crazy, and I'll get to see the Christmas Party fireworks up close without a Christmas Party ticket.

I think I understood it after reading the Disney Food Blog Post about it and you are correct that the value is in the $10 card withe date restrictions and the 2 reserved seats for the second RoL. Here is a quote that might be helpful:

The Tasting Sampler — which goes on sale [10/8/2019] — costs $50 and includes two digital value cards: one $50 card that can be used at over 40 outdoor food and beverage locations throughout the park (and does not expire), and a bonus $10 card that can be used at the following quick-service restaurants after 4 PM from December 22, 2019 through January 4, 2020: Restaurantosaurus, Pizzafari, Flame Tree Barbecue, and Satu’li Canteen.

Not something that would be useful for our travels in early December, but might be good for some of the group!
I got the cards and plan on doing Pizzafari and the Rivers of Light on the 23rd. Honestly, because each card gives 2 seats at ROL - I have 3 extra seats for the 2nd ROL on 12/23 if anyone wants to connect :)

My two cents - your group trip will be driven by the children and your elderly mother in law. There will be no "rushing to the next ride." Children are easily distracted by whatever they see at the moment, the mother in law won't be able to move fast, and there will be multiple bathroom/snack/rest breaks that you can't anticipate. I imagine your party will be breaking off into smaller groups and going their own way/doing their own priorities. Decide which attractions are most important for whomever to see and focus on getting those done. Anything else will be a bonus. As for your solo trip, I would encourage you to see the Candlelight Processional, as it is a top notch show . If you don't want to get a dining package or stand in line forever, you can watch it in a standing room area just at the back of the theater. It's more visual than aural, so you can more or less take it in from wherever you can hear it back there. I personally am not a big fan of MVMCP, having done a few and finding them way more crowded than I expected, and it's a pretty good chunk of change for the ticket. But many others feel it is a not-to-be missed event. There are many reviews of it on this forum. If you've never been, then you should probably go and try it out for yourself. HEA at MK is incredibly, beyond belief crowded on the three nights of the week that there isn't a MVMCP. You'd have to stake out a spot probably well over an hour before HEA, and by the time it starts, you'll be jammed together with everyone else to the point that you can barely breathe, let alone move. It isn't fun. For that reason alone, I'm a big fan of the plaza garden dessert party. The desserts themselves aren't that big a deal, but having a non-crowded, perfectly centered viewing area for HEA is worth every penny, IMHO.

THANKS so much for your input!

My MIL is probably not going into the parks - one of the reasons we booked everyone at Club Level at the GF. (If she does decide to go into the parks, we'll get her a one-day ticket and rent a wheel chair). The GF is a fairly rich experience alone with the tree, the balconies, the club snacks, the orchestra, and the pianist. I do want to encourage her to visit the other resorts if she wants a change of scenery. If I can peek at the decorations while I"m there, it will help decide which other resorts would be fun to "hop" to. OH! And I also want to check out the Photo Pass at the GF. We will have all but 2 of the husbands of our family there so it gives us an opportunity to get some photos of everyone with MIL

AND you hit the nail on the head for a couple of other things:
  • The trip will be kid-centric in the parks and I don't want any of the kids to feel punished if they want to slow down and just look at things - I don't like being rushed myself and just people watching is a pleasure. (One of the reasons I offered to be a floater to help with kiddos - and so the parents can do bigger rides, too)
  • INVEST in the Dessert party for myself for HEA. That's probably one of the highest on my list for my own pleasure - to see the whole Fireworks Show - castle projects and all - without being pushed around.
AND as to the MVMCP - I don't love big crowds. I know with being a single person I can slip in and out more easily of tight spots than if I was even part of a couple. But that's the thing: is it WORTH it overall? I may just wait to see what the first reviews come back from the new fireworks for that and such before I make any decision.

THANKS again!!

Seriously, you do you. You are looking for details for a bigger trip in a month, which is fine! With that wide range, headliners may become secondary to making sure everyone can enjoy the bulk of the trip. So with this trip, try to ride FoP and 7DMT like crazy. Want to spend entra time in the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki room, go for it! Go slow, and take your time to scope out what you need, and take notes, but also balance that out for you.

If a morning EMH and HEA are the same day, maybe take a break in the middle. Just because you don't have kids this trip doesn't mean you can't go take a nap if you want.

The Candlelight Processional is great if you like Christmas music. Not just general holiday music, but specifically the story of the birth of Christ. All in all, though, it's a wonderful production.

And your MIL. It's her birthday, don't try to change her. I don't know anything about your MIL, but I know mine, and if you get her out of her routine, she'll do nothing but complain complain complain about how this isn't right, and this is wrong, and she misses this, and... you just don't want to deal with that.

THANK you! And NOPE, I cannot change my MIL (and I also need to remind myself I cannot change my SIL's either - ha!)

And yes - the main vibe I want for this trip is TAKE my time! Just linger and linger wherever I want!

As an FYI to anyone who is on the fence about a Fireworks Dessert Party at MK: I had to purchase an AFTER Fireworks dessert party for Dec. 16th as the other two parties (Garden and Terrace) were already sold out.

Would you add a Very Merry Christmas Party? Would you do the Dessert Party for Happy Ever After on Monday? Would you hope for a SDD FP or RD DHS? Since I am 46-ish days away from the trip I need to get more dialed in before the 30 day window opens for off-site guests. HELP!
I would totally do the Candlelight Processional for your solo trip. We have Gary Sinese on Dec 14th and it will be the highlight of our trip. It is my favorite part of visiting WDW during the holidays other than staying at WL/CCV. The lobby at WL is worth a visit as it is the most beautiful lobby...of course, GF is very grand as well but WL is just very "homey".

I would also do the HEA dessert party. It'll guarantee you have a decent view of HEA (which is a tear-jerker for me) without having to fight the crowds. MVVCP isn't necessary in my opinion. Maybe at one time it afforded shorter wait times for rides but it just isn't so anymore. And SDD is a rope drop situation for you. The line will rarely die down during the day and since you are an early riser it should be the perfect thing for you! I don't have any luck getting SDD at 60 days out but just in case you should keep trying. The problem with the tiered FP+ at DHS is you can only get one between SDD, Toy Story Mania, ToT, and RnR....

I would totally do the Candlelight Processional for your solo trip. We have Gary Sinese on Dec 14th and it will be the highlight of our trip. It is my favorite part of visiting WDW during the holidays other than staying at WL/CCV. The lobby at WL is worth a visit as it is the most beautiful lobby...of course, GF is very grand as well but WL is just very "homey".

I would also do the HEA dessert party. It'll guarantee you have a decent view of HEA (which is a tear-jerker for me) without having to fight the crowds. MVVCP isn't necessary in my opinion. Maybe at one time it afforded shorter wait times for rides but it just isn't so anymore. And SDD is a rope drop situation for you. The line will rarely die down during the day and since you are an early riser it should be the perfect thing for you! I don't have any luck getting SDD at 60 days out but just in case you should keep trying. The problem with the tiered FP+ at DHS is you can only get one between SDD, Toy Story Mania, ToT, and RnR....

Last year, we arrived at GF on 01/05 and though the Christmas Tree was still up, the Gingerbread house was gone. And I heard SO much about WL that I made DH do the whole boat ride there - GF to MK and then MK to WL - only to see that the tree was GONE! So I'd love to check it out!

And you're one of many that has said MVMCP may not really be worth it. I am so glad to hear that feedback - because I don't want to deal with a lot of crowds,

I booked my HEA dessert party - the After Party as the other 2 parties were sold out. Like you, just the combination of music and dialogue makes me teary. I LOVE it and it was such a treat the last two years to sit on our balcony and see it (2019 from GF / 2018 from Contemporary). I also adjusted my FP's for that night and decided to cancel the PPO of BOG, have lunch at GF and tour the resort. And, instead, will either (a) have a leisurely morning or (b) do Rope Drop at DHS.

AND I have decided to cancel my AK plans (unless I can get my FOP FP earlier in the day). I just don't fancy those dark pathways by myself at night - especially since I will have gotten up at 4 AM to catch my flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter