The only two TS I would gladly pay cash for...

MEM

DIS Veteran
...are Artist Point and Le Cellier. I just got back last night from 14 days of free dining. I have to say that despite eating at TS like Flying Fish, Jiko and Narcoossee's, only Le Cellier and Artist Point would I return to if I had to pay for it. I found on this trip that alot of TS excel at appetizers and desserts but the entrees are not so great.

Detailed reviews to follow in a few days...

I found on this trip that alot of TS excel at appetizers and desserts but the entrees are not so great.

There's something to be said for a place that does great appetizers and desserts. DW and I love to go to this local place and just order several appetizers (and adult beverages ;) ) and make a meal off that. At WDW, I could see us going to Spoodles, for example, and ordering from the appetizers and just noshing on them and having a wonderful evening together. I'd pay OOP at Spoodles for that, they're that good. Kind of a tapas thing.

MEM said:
...are Artist Point and Le Cellier. I just got back last night from 14 days of free dining. I have to say that despite eating at TS like Flying Fish, Jiko and Narcoossee's, only Le Cellier and Artist Point would I return to if I had to pay for it. I found on this trip that alot of TS excel at appetizers and desserts but the entrees are not so great.

Detailed reviews to follow in a few days...
I would agree with you about the restaurants just not cutting it, although rarely does anyone acknowledge it. My family of 6 did 7 nights of menu TS so 42 entrees total. Not a single entree was memorable, and many were just bad. However quite a few(not all) appetizers and desserts were really, really good.

I also did 14 days of FREE dining. The only restaurants that I will return to are: Spoodles and Turf Club. Loved the three course meal at both. I will also go to Mama Melroses for the food and the convenience of Fantasmic. Reviews also to follow as soon as I can figure out how to download pictures!

Praying Colonel said:
There's something to be said for a place that does great appetizers and desserts. DW and I love to go to this local place and just order several appetizers (and adult beverages ;) ) and make a meal off that. At WDW, I could see us going to Spoodles, for example, and ordering from the appetizers and just noshing on them and having a wonderful evening together. I'd pay OOP at Spoodles for that, they're that good. Kind of a tapas thing.

That's what Spoodles originally was. It had a great tapas menu and encouraged sharing - like ordering 6 things for the table to share and everyone gets a taste. The menu was larger then, too. People were more comfortable ordering an entree though so it went away. Iwish they still had it! Tapas and sangria and that dessert tapas platter (that they still have) Mmmm.

I've never had a truly bad meal in WDW. Some were average, a few were disappointing, but never bad. And I've always paid. They make me. ;) I really encourage you to keep trying other places. I'll bet there are more than just those two restaurants that you'll think are worth the money. Kona and Bluezoo are two that really impressed me. Beaches and Cream has an excellent burger or grilled chicken sandwich, too.

I do agree that apps and desserts sometimes outshine entrees though. Not just in WDW but everywhere. They're more fun and creative usually.

Jiko is also a great place for apps and desserts - excellent wine list, too. Although, I loved my Jiko filet cooked perfectly.

I look forward to hearing your reviews - what you ordered, etc. I've been interested but nervous about trying Narcoossee's and Artist Point so I'm looking forward to those reviews especially. I have a Narcoosse's res for Nov. but am thinking of cancelling if I can get Bistro de Paris of Artist Point - I'm trying to decide between those three so I hope your review will help!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. In just a couple of weeks, DD and I will be dining at AP for the first time. We are also looking forward to CG.I call daily to try for Le Cellier, but no go...

But I think essentially your observations are correct from our past dining experiences!

I loved Spoodles for Tapas when they had it. I wish they never changed that. DH & I have done several meals at home & in WDW of just splitting several apps & dessert. It's our favorite way to dine.

I often make meals of just apps & desserts. I agree they usually seem to be the most creative. I have had some delicious entrees at BlueZoo, CG, AP & Citricos.

Melomouse-Not to hijack the thread but I call for Le C everyday too! I am sure they are tired of us both, so just give us the ressies!!!!

I am really looking forward to reading your reviews. We are going in July, 2007 and am looking for new places to try.

MEM and DizneycrazedX6 - thank you for the endorsements. I have reservations at Artist Point, Le Cellier, and Turf Club, so it's great seeing my selections recommended :)

Anyone looking for tapas and who will have a vehicle available: I highly recommend Cafe Tu Tu Tango on International Drive!

I am always willing to pay out of pocket for California Grill, and LeCellier, personally. In fact, I think I've eaten there more off the dining plan than on!

In MK, the only sit-down place I really like a lot and don't mind shelling out a bit for is Liberty Tree Tavern, but only for lunch.

I have one extra TS planned that our dining plan doesn't cover, so we're paying for it OOP because we like it so much, and it is ... Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch! Another one we pay for ourselves, mainly because it's not worth using a credit for, is Beaches & Cream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter