The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: You can find 5ks pretty much year round in my area, just not a variety of distances. There are surprisingly few 10ks overall and just one full (and that’s at the Biltmore Estate so more destination-type race than a local event).

QOTD: In the area that you live, is there a period of time in which there are not any organized races?
I am not sure about that. Maybe less in January and February but they still have them we have a indoor track where I live that will host indoor events in the winter though. I would say July probably has less too because it can get pretty hot and humid. Otherwise races year round here for sure.

QOTD: In the area that you live, is there a period of time in which there are not any organized races?

We have races all year, but most of them are in the Oct to Mar time frame. The ones in the summer are typically only 5k or 10k.

In non-running commentary, I'm organizing my annual March Madness pool again this year. $5 to enter, and you get it back if you finish last. Come join @rteetz and a few others from here and play along.

http://www.thesengers.net/pool

Not really. Races of all lengths happen all year in New England. I could probably run a 5K every weekend between NH, ME, MA, & VT. Not too many half marathons in January or February, but I know of a 16-miler, 5-miler and a 2.5K nearby. Basically spring and fall have the most races (or at least it seems like they do). Overall not too many 10Ks, but many half marathons and several fulls, with many oddball distances too. And 5Ks to your heart's content.

ATTQOTD: With the warm summers here, the last 5k is usually around the end of May, and they dont really start to pick back up until September. There is a handful of random events, like the freedom mile during the 4th of July weekend, and a few 2 mile races during the middle of the week, but for the most part a lot of nothing. Races with longer distances (10+ miles) will end this month and resume in October.

ATTQOTD: Same here in Arkansas. We have a 5k at the end of June called That Dam Race that runs down a hill at night (obviously at the dam). I signed up once and it was rained out. So now it will only be race day reg's for me for that one.

My race report for the Rock n Roll DC Half-Marathon, March 10:

I had been training on a plan by @DopeyBadger.

My official time was 2:10:17 - last year was 2:08:18. I had been hoping to beat last year's time. The weather and conditions were great, and I don't think I could've done anything different except run a little faster.

Ate a full breakfast 5:45 - 6am, which is what I usually do when I have that much time before a race.

I took my BCAAs and 200 mg caffeine at about 8:00am. Beautiful weather, in the 30s F at the start. A little wind, but nothing strong or sustained. I like to run in cold weather.

The race started on time at 8:30am, but I was placed in coral 11 of 21, so I didn't get across the start line until about 8:45am. Fortunately the start was not as crowded as I remembered. I think I probably thought last year that it was crowded, and since then, the Marine Corps Marathon set a new standard for that in my mind.

Mile 1: 9:59
Mile 2: 10:02

@DopeyBadger told me to cap the first two miles at 9:59 in order to save effort for the big hill in the middle. Clicked right into that pace for the first two miles. Since I was feeling good, I didn't want to go too much slower than the cap because I knew I'd have to make up the time later.

Mile 3: 9:44
Mile 4: 9:56
Mile 5: 9:47

My cap for the next miles, previous to the hill starting at 5.5 miles, was 9:47. Accidentally went a smidge too fast on mile 3, so pulled it back a bit for mile 4. I was still feeling pretty good. Steady breathing, but not panting. Legs still feeling good.

Mile 6: 9:59

OK, there is something weird about the hill, and maybe some of you others that ran it can help me figure it out. I know that it shows up on the elevation profile as starting at 5.574 mi. My Garmin was about 0.05 mi or so ahead of the mile markers at this point, so I was expecting when my Garmin was at about 5.6 mi or so, I'd get the big increase. Nope. It starts out much more gradually than what the elevation graph shows. In fact, I realized at about 5.75 mi or so, that it turns into an optical illusion - the incline is so gradual, and it levels off in a few places, so that you start to think that it's actually level with some downhills. (Or at least, I did!) The crazy incline didn't really start until about 5.8 mi. (This is what @DopeyBadger had estimated from the elevation graph as a 4.5% grade.) I don't know what's going on with the elevation graph, except there is that weird glitch on the incline where it goes down to zero temporarily and then continues the incline. (Incidentally, my elevation graphs from my Garmin both last year and this year show that same glitch. Since I didn't fall off a cliff and jump back up it, I'm assuming it is a weird glitch.) At any rate, I maybe did some of this a bit too fast. The plan was for me to slow down on the hill in order to keep the effort about the same as the 9:47 pace before. This hill is so steep at the end, however, it's hard to judge this.

Mile 7: 10:39

Finishing the crazy hill. As soon as the big incline started at the end of mile 5, I did slow way down. But then you get to the top at about 6.2 - 6.3 miles. From there, it was hard to tell what my pace was, since my lap pace was weighted by the slow hill. Also, I was recovering, so it was hard to judge my pace by feel. At least I didn't walk any of the hill. (Small accomplishments!)

Mile 8: 9:33
Mile 9: 9:26
Mile 10: 9:24

It was getting hard in these miles, but I was hanging on. I knew I needed to get close to 9:20 in order to get the time I wanted, This section is rolling, but overall downhill, which helped. After the hill, the plan was for me to pick up the pace as needed until the finish.

Mile 11: 9:58

This is where I started running out of gas. Apparently my body was not totally in with the plan. :) I could tell that I really needed to get the last three miles at about 9:20 or better, and I couldn't hold on to the pace. I felt like I was going faster than I was when I checked my Garmin. My legs still felt OK in terms of soreness and tiredness (sore/tired but not necessarily holding me back). But breathing/HR was becoming an issue. I didn't develop a side stitch - I rarely do - but felt a little tight on the right side with the breathing.: Hit a bit of an uphill, and I could tell I wasn't going to make 2:08. So, pulled it in a bit with the revised goal of not walking any of the race and hitting the last mile strong for a strong finish. I actually got my husband to come and see me finish the race - he's only ever done that once before - and I didn't want to finish going slow or maybe even walking.

Also, somewhere in this mile, I think, spectators living in a house along the course were passing out cups of beer. One of the major reasons I don't drink is because I hate the smell of alcohol, so smelling the beer while running was really turning my stomach. I appreciate their enthusiasm in supporting runners, but blech.

Mile 12: 10:01

More of the same. A shorter hill in this section, but trying to keep moving reasonably. Also, somewhere in the preceding miles, my Garmin went from being about 0.15 miles ahead of the mile markers to more like 0.1 miles ahead - if that was right, then the GPS was playing a few games with me and my reported pace. However, I finished with it 0.14 miles over, so go figure. I still felt like I was working a lot harder than my pace was showing.

Mile 13: 9:28

The last mile has some downhill, so I took advantage of it. I definitely couldn't have maintained that pace for much longer.

Extra 0.24 mi: 10:19

The last ~0.2 mi is on a damn uphill to the finish line. Considering it's the end of the race, it feels really steep. Managed to keep running, but not exactly the sprint to the finish.

Took forever to find the reunion area and my husband...big crowds. We are both very funny, too, since while neither of us is crowd-phobic, neither of us enjoys crowds of strangers and loud, blaring music. So we pretty much met up, he took my picture, and we left. Ha. I did appreciate him driving to the finish, since it meant I didn't have to Metro home. Also, he brought an extra coat for me. The sweatsuit I'd put in my gear-check bag was definitely not enough once I cooled off.

Some other info/thoughts.

-Carried Gatorade Endurance for the race...drank about a liter of it, sipping every mile. Didn't stop at the aid stations.

-From wunderground, it seems that my Garmin's temperature of 37 F was probably the start temperature, and looks like it got up to the mid-40s during my race. Mental note to wear shorts and t-shirt next time for these conditions. I only wore a long-sleeved shirt (no layers), but pushed up the sleeves within a mile. Felt annoyed with the full-length tights.

Official stats:
Place: 4789/10,333 (46%)
Division: 177/609 (29%)
Women: 2202/5913 (37%)

I am bummed that I didn't get the time I was hoping for, but don't really feel like there was much I could have done. Apparently it wasn't in the cards for me today. Just frustrating after the months of training, but then that's my responsibility. I don't race that much, so I would like to expect each race to be an improvement, but that isn't the case.

I did try to just enjoy the race experience. I don't usually think about making that sort of effort. Even though I'm bummed about the time, I'm in great shape and excellent health, and certainly it was a beautiful day. The RNR DC half-marathon course is awesome, because you run past a lot of monuments, and for some of the long stretches, you're running right toward the Lincoln Memorial or the Capitol. Other stretches are along the Potomac and Tidal Basin. It is in fact a very nice course. So I'm trying to think about the positives, too.

There are races year round but between Christmas and St. Patrick's day they are harder to find. There are some indoor races, indoor tri's, trail runs, stair climbs, and a few road races but unlike the rest of the year where you can run multiple races every weekend you will have to select from a much shorter list.

There are races year round, even if teeny tiny small ones, but really who wants to run in the cold snow in January, not me. Lincoln half/full is in May (and a smaller half I'm doing in late May) then Omaha marathon in fall & another bigger Lincoln half late Oct. , so that is pretty much the main racing calendar, Spring-Fall, around here. There's some November races but that can be cold so yeah no thanks. Granted I hardly run any anymore with my schedule but keep up on what's out there just in case.

Living in Atlanta it does get hot during the summer, so there are not a lot of races. However, I can find half marathons to run during the summer, but it's mostly 5Ks and 10Ks that are schedule.

Our local running store does a half on July 4 that uses the same Greenway I train on. I ran that one last year.

Then there is the Hotlanta Half that is now in its fifth year and run in June. It's a tough course. I have run every year, and the weather has been from one extreme to the next. First and third year were really hot. Second year was run in a torrential rainstorm through streets that were flooding. Last year was pleasant by Atlanta standards. Guess we will see what this year holds. It's a fun race through some cool parts of town.

ATTQOTD: In my little town, there are only about 6 local 5ks that are done and most of them are in the winter and spring. I guess people don't like running when it is 90* before the sun comes up? Ha. But luckily in other parts of Arizona, like Sedona and Flagstaff, the weather can be more enjoyable to host an early summer race.

I've been in Glycerins since the 5s. The 14s were a complete disaster for me, causing knee and ankle/foot pain right out of the box. As best I can tell, they took too much support out of the arch area in an attempt to make the shoe more cushioned through the midfoot transition. The 15s have been better than the 14s, but I'm not sold on them, especially after this shin issue cropped up shortly after I increased their usage. I went from ~20-25% of mileage in 15s with the rest in 13s from July to mid-November to 40-50% of mileage in the 15s from mid-November through Marathon Weekend. I started feeling discomfort in the shin shortly after Christmas and it flared badly after Marathon Weekend. If you're looking for other options to try, the replacement suggestions that running stores have made repeatedly for me are the Brooks Ghost, Saucony Triumph, NB 1080 and Mizuno Wave something (can't remember as Mizuno's don't fit me well). I've gotten a pair of Brooks Launch to try for speed work and I'm currently auditioning the Triumphs and 1080s as Glycerin alternatives. Good luck finding one that works for you! Or maybe the Glycerin 16s will revert to what we're used to.

Seriously thank you so much for the replacement shoe tips. I started having issues with the 13s; only one color of the 14s worked for me; and when I put the 15s on I immediately noticed they were shorter and more narrow.:sad: I ordered a 1/2 size up in a wide but they still felt weird, so I sent them back. I definitely need to bite the bullet and head over to my local-ish running center to try on some of those other options. Thank you again, and good luck to you as well! :-)

Memorial Day through Labor Day is basically a dead zone around here because it's CRAZY hot - like surface of the sun hot. There are a few outliers - like a sprint triathlon downtown in July and an overnight 10-25-50K in July as well (actually, the night before the sprint trip because they share the same street closure permits). My running club also does a six week 5K running series, but that's really it.

I’ve got an odd question I thought I’d throw out to the group. Does anyone have any experience needing two different sized shoes to make up a usable pair? If so, how do you go about getting the mismatched pair you need short of buying two pairs to mix and match?

With the issues I’ve had with recent Brooks Glycerin models and the shinjury that shut me down for 6+ weeks post-Dopey I’ve been looking at diversifying my shoe options. One of the candidates that had popped up repeatedly was the Saucony Triumph, so I ordered a pair in my size. Taking them out for the first run, the right shoe was a joy to run in. Very comfortable. The left, however, just didn’t feel right in the arch and I think I need a half size larger for that foot to have a completely workable pair. This is the first time I’ve run into this situation and I’m not sure how to approach it.

Edit for clarity: I’m not asking for where or how to buy two different sizes of shoes when I’m looking for a new pair. I don’t have this issue on a routine basis. I’m asking for advice on how to make the pair of Saucony I’ve already got usable, short of buying and paying full price for a 2nd pair to get the size I need for the left foot.

Brooks is the only shoe company I've found that will let you special order a mixed pair for an additional $10.

That said - for your current situation, maybe try pulling the insole out and getting another insole that you can customize more to your arch? Are those Dr. Scholls machines still around where you can get 'fitted' for a special insole?

Your other option is orthotics - which will be a longer solution than cheaper insoles that will be an incurred cost upfront but will work out to be cheaper than two pairs of shoes in the long run.

ATTQOTD: I haven’t really looked because I have no desire to run a race here in the summer. The only thing I stumbled across was a trail run nearby in July. Like others it’s like the surface of the sun here.

Brooks is the only shoe company I've found that will let you special order a mixed pair for an additional $10.

That said - for your current situation, maybe try pulling the insole out and getting another insole that you can customize more to your arch? Are those Dr. Scholls machines still around where you can get 'fitted' for a special insole?

Your other option is orthotics - which will be a longer solution than cheaper insoles that will be an incurred cost upfront but will work out to be cheaper than two pairs of shoes in the long run.

Thanks! I hadn’t thought of the insole idea. Maybe I’ll go out and look for one to try. I don’t want to put a lot of $$$ into what is essentially an audition pair of shoes and the insoles would give me a good route to keep trying them.

Thanks! I hadn’t thought of the insole idea. Maybe I’ll go out and look for one to try. I don’t want to put a lot of $$$ into what is essentially an audition pair of shoes and the insoles would give me a good route to keep trying them.

I know there are some that you find the right arch for and then cut them in the shape of your foot so they're the right size. They aren't too expensive - maybe like $15? Mr. Keels uses them in his CrossFit shoes.

ATTQOTD: Nope, we are crazy in New England and run year round in the snow/cold and the heat/humidity. :) There is a dry spell of half marathons in January and February, and just a general lack of 8-10K compared to the number of 5K's year round, but there are races every month of the year. And if you are missing the half distance in Jan-Feb, you can always do the Boston Prep 16-miler in January... what's another 2.9 miles. :)

What she said! :)

I’m trying to do a race a month this year - I’ve already 4 done, and am registered for April, May, and June. I did notice that July and August options are much more limited - but I’ll be able to find something!

Attqotd: I feel like within an hour drive I could find a race almost every weekend if I tried hard enough. Something about freezing temps or face melting heat doesn't keep anyone from planning races round here (probably bc no one can predict our weather)

Unrelated, my old friend added me to a Facebook run group for former and current Chicago dancers. My dream of prancersizing may come true :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter