The Running Thread - 2018

Vintage Park Half Race report. Since my last race in Feb, I had been kinda nursing a hamstring issue. So with this race scheduled in April in Houston, the expectation was a warmish humid morning for a race, so I had not trained very hard. Of course, a cold front came though yesterday, and the temps this morning were a brisk 45 degrees...WHAT??!?!? Started off running with members of my running club. One of the ladies was using this race as a last long training run before Boston next week, and her coach wanted her to run around 8 for the first 8 miles, than goal marathon pace for the final 5. Well, we ended up running 7:55 for the first couple. Met up the 5k racers at just after mile three, but ended up being around 7:40 (her goal pace) for the next 9 miles, and kicked it up for the final 2. Even running around 7:40 pace for those miles, we were able to keep up the conversation pretty much the whole time, so she is ready to attempt to crush Boston next week.

I ended up with a 1:40:45 time, and somehow ended up 1st in my age group (50-54). If I was in the next older age group, I would have been 7th. When did the older folks get so much faster?

Overall, 50/1011, Male, 42/432, Age, 1/33

image.jpg

Last edited:
Ran a lovely 9 miles today in bright sunshine but temps only in upper 40s with gusty winds. Perfect, consistent slow pace for a long run.

It’s a good thing running is going well, because my house is falling apart! In the past two weeks, the roof started leaking, the washing machine’s start button broke and tonight, the garage door spring broke.

So...new roof, siding, and gutters are needed. New piece for the washer has been ordered, but in the meantime I can use the eraser end of a pencil to trigger the control panel to come on. DH and I manually opened the garage door, got my truck out and manually closed it. Door repair guys will be called in the morning.

DH just asked me, “Want to take bets on what breaks next?”

Vintage Park Half Race report. Since my last race in Feb, I had been kinda nursing a hamstring issue. So with this race scheduled in April in Houston, the expectation was a warmish humid morning for a race, so I had not trained very hard. Of course, a cold front came though yesterday, and the temps this morning were a brisk 45 degrees...WHAT??!?!? Started off running with members of my running club. One of the ladies was using this race as a last long training run before Boston next week, and her coach wanted her to run around 8 for the first 8 miles, than goal marathon pace for the final 5. Well, we ended up running 7:55 for the first couple. Met up the 5k racers at just after mile three, but ended up being around 7:40 (her goal pace) for the next 9 miles, and kicked it up for the final 2. Even running around 7:40 pace for those miles, we were able to keep up the conversation pretty much the whole time, so she is ready to attempt to crush Boston next week.

I ended up with a 1:40:45 time, and somehow ended up 1st in my age group (50-54). If I was in the next older age group, I would have been 7th. When did the older folks get so much faster?

View attachment 314980

Congrats! Great running weather today. Not so much for cycling.

Congrats! Great running weather today. Not so much for cycling.

Thanks, it was great, and kinda wished I had trained harder.

Sounded like the folks doing the Galveston 70.3 had a rough time on the last half of the bike course.

View attachment 314980

Congratulations, and oh my goodness that medal is freakin' huge!!

Venting:

Scheduled to run the Dark Side Half in two weeks. Ran a 10-miler a month ago today, and was pleased with how I did(aside from severe calf cramps the last half of the race). Was really ready to ramp up properly for the half.

Instead, I just got back from a beach vacation where I laid on the beach like a whale and ate terribly. Didn't run at all. Came home feeling lethargic and angry with myself. Now I'm two weeks out, have completely blown my training schedule all to pieces, and am unsure whether to use this upcoming weekend as my final long run(which I should have done during vacation), or a shorter run as part of the taper I'd planned.

Has anyone else out there kind of blown it this close to a race in a similar fashion? I'm frustrated with myself, but at this point, what's past is past. I just need to know how I should tackle the next two weeks so that the race isn't a complete disaster for me.

Venting:

Scheduled to run the Dark Side Half in two weeks. Ran a 10-miler a month ago today, and was pleased with how I did(aside from severe calf cramps the last half of the race). Was really ready to ramp up properly for the half.

Instead, I just got back from a beach vacation where I laid on the beach like a whale and ate terribly. Didn't run at all. Came home feeling lethargic and angry with myself. Now I'm two weeks out, have completely blown my training schedule all to pieces, and am unsure whether to use this upcoming weekend as my final long run(which I should have done during vacation), or a shorter run as part of the taper I'd planned.

Has anyone else out there kind of blown it this close to a race in a similar fashion? I'm frustrated with myself, but at this point, what's past is past. I just need to know how I should tackle the next two weeks so that the race isn't a complete disaster for me.

I got sick 3 weeks before my most recent race, so I did my last long run 11 days before the race, not the planned 14. It worked fine for me. Is there anyway you could do a longer run in the next few days?

Big House Trail to the Victors 5K Report

36:34
Significantly slower than I expected, and slower than I train, so disappointing.

Before race items: My company sponsored the race so I got to run for free. The last corral was roughly half way between my front door and the portapotties, so between location and price, I figured I had to run this one. I was very excited when an email came out to let employees that they had free race swag, and a link to the buff page video on how to wear your new item. I jumped from my desk and sprinted to the cafeteria to retrieve my first every exciting piece of race gear, to find it a non-wicking generic tube of cotton with the company logo; I was disappointed. The race start is very close to my house but I was curious how this would work as the start time was later than I would normally go out. But not with the lame off brand buff- it was 21 and I was going with something more robust.

Race itself: I would run it again, and I would recommend it to anyone but with reservations if you were pushing a stroller. I parked myself in the middle of corral C, which was listed in the race email as 32-40 minute finish. On my walk home, back past the start and from where 95% of the runners parked and thus walked past on their way to the start, I saw a sign that said to check your bib for race assignment. I had no idea they listed them on the bibs, and was surprised that they thought I should have been in B. In hindsight, I agree and suspect they re-seeded people after the email was drafted and sent. I was happy I did more passing than being passed, which was nice. Having not run many races, I am wondering if my expectations of being able to have space to run in the first half mile is unrealistic- anyone have wisdom here? Is this just how races go or is it because I could have been farther up front? We ended up trudging along for quite a while, and I think this is why I ended up with the first mile as my slowest. As this race is in my neighborhood, I knew there was a hill in the first half mile that I avoided all last summer. Actually, I ran a block over because that was steeper but over faster than the more rolling version on the course. I was pleased that I hardly noticed the hill, so I suppose I have improved! Again, this is an area I run, but I was thrown off by being in the road and I held back more than I have on daily runs because I was concerned about the holes and that I was planning to run the mile home afterwards. The race ends in Michigan Stadium by running through the player’s tunnel and onto the 50 yard line. They have the player’s banner there for you to jump up and smack, which I thought was the coolest thing about the race. The worst part (Other than weather and pot holes which I think are to be expected around here this time of year) is that to exit you had to climb up the stadium stands. There were not a ton of stroller pushers in the stadium yet, but I would have been livid to have to climb up 70 rows with a stroller and a baby. I hope they let them just wait it out on the field and then push them out the tunnel when the crowd thinned. I was sad to have to climb the stairs after the run, and also sad they made you exit on only one side of the stadium, which put me slightly farther from my house. I grabbed a coffee and walked part of my planned run home. I’m counting it as a 4.5 mile run with a coffee break and a good stair workout. My children kindly greeted me at the door and promptly told me I smelled and needed to take a shower, which my husband thought hilarious. I will plan to run it again next year.

Venting:

Take a deep breath. I've been sick, slight injuries or what have you before "A" races. Most of the time if you take the cautious measured approach, then you'll come out fine on the other side.

Training gains and losses move very slowly. So if you took some time off post-10 miler, then you lost some, but probably not as much as you think. But conversely, since gains are made slowly, what you don't want to do is go out there and try and make up for lost time. While training gains/losses move slowly, fatigue does not. If you attempt to make up for lost time, you'll gain little, but increase fatigue significantly. Thus, making the actual HM race harder than it has to be. I think you're better off trying to get back into a rhythm the last two weeks. I wouldn't do much more than 75-90 min this weekend, and even at that duration it should be kept significantly slower than the goal pace for the HM you have in mind. Then do the taper you plan, but be mindful of possibly even pulling back a touch on that as well.

Venting:

You didn't blow it! Listen to DopeyBadger! You still can do it!

If you attempt to make up for lost time, you'll gain little, but increase fatigue significantly.

i can attest to this due to hard-won experience. trying to "catch up" on your training will end badly. i've found resuming training where you've left off with a tweak or two to fit the situation (such as what DobyBadger's suggests) is the best option.

because while trying to "cram" my missed miles into the last few weeks of training was a mistake, transitioning back into my training plan has actually worked positively in the past. it really depends on the quality of your training prior to the break. if you got the quality miles and work in, that unplanned pause can work like a taper and help your final performance.

perhaps the most important thing to review is your planned race goal. it might be worthwhile to give yourself more leeway in terms of your goal given the realities of your conditioning. a raceday "disaster" can be avoided by being realistic about what constitutes success.

Venting:

Yep, I have totally done that! I scheduled two half marathons five weeks apart, but after the first one I was just done with training. I mentally and physically checked out and debated bailing on the race but figured I'd show up since I'd already paid for it. And then my "meh, whatever" attitude got me a PR :). I did make an extra effort not to go out too fast and to pay attention to my effort level since I wasn't sure how much the time off had impacted my fitness.

I'll echo the others that have said that two weeks before the race is too late to catch up on training that you've missed, but you can still run a strong race based on the gains that you achieved prior to the last race.

Jumping on the "it's too late to catch up" wagon. :) Heck, my first HM, I followed the Galloway plan that they put out for Tink, and it had a 3 week taper! The last long run was longer than 10 (it was 14, although I only did 13 because I wanted to do my first 13.1 during the race :)) but then it tapered for 3 weeks.

Cooper River Bridge Run (10k) - Charleston, SC

Last minute decision to run this race in Charleston. I usually avoid it due to difficult logistics and general aggravation but agreed to meet up with a group. This 10k is the third largest in the U.S. (behind Peachtree and Boulder) and usually draws over 30,000. The race starts in Mount Pleasant, crosses the Cooper River Bridge, and finishes in downtown Charleston. The main feature, of course, is the bridge and expansive view with a 1 mile incline (somewhere around 3-5% - I think.) Temp was 68 degrees at the start with a direct headwind of 10-15 mph at sea level. With the incline and crowds this is not a PR-type course and with the headwind the times were much slower this year. Rain was predicted and though it held off I suspect many stayed away due to the forecast. The race announcer indicated that 33,000 registered but the results show 27,400 finishers.

All of the neighboring communities (Mount Pleasant, Charleston, and North Charleston) provide resources and there is significant police presence and an entire network of buses to transport everyone to the start and from the finish line. I was fortunate to drive in and park at a friend's house near the start line. The race used to be a free-for-all but over the years they have done a much better job of refining the corral system. Corrals: Open/Elite; sub-40 minute (proof of time required); sub-45 (proof required); sub-50 (proof required); and then A-G based on self-reported times. I qualified for sub-45.

My corral was not crowded and there was no need to start at the front. Usually, the first 1.5 miles of this race are complete chaos and then when the incline comes people start walking causing further problems. There were some who clearly did not belong in the sub-40 and sub-45 corral, but for the most part the opening was fairly clean.

First goal was to start at a reasonable pace which, for me, meant not looking at the watch and just settling in. Had a comfortable, but slightly faster than anticipated, first mile which registered at 6:44. First part of mile 2 is flat but then the incline starts. 7:18 for the second mile. With the incline and the wind I started to red-line and had to back off. The third mile is mostly uphill but then you hit the apex and start the downhill portion - which is much flatter than the incline. Third mile at 7:43. Downhill and into downtown Charleston for a mile 4 time of 6:52. This was not an "A" race and I did not push the final two miles which were 7:04 and 7:18 respectively.

The streets in downtown Charleston are lined with spectators and it is quite loud. All kinds of food/drinks at the finish - a very nice setup. The only trouble for me after that was getting back to Mount Pleasant. We took an Uber about three hours after the finish and that worked out well.

Overall was very happy and had a great day. Not the fastest times but this is more of an event I am learning to appreciate rather than grumbling about the logistical difficulties.

Final time: 44:33 (first 5k: 22:35; second 5k: 21:58) Age Group: 30/1,114. Overall 528/27,409.

QOTD: Its been a while since we had a running sock discussion, so lets revisit it today. What type of sock do you run in? Which ones have you tried and found just dont work for you?

ATTQOTD: I run in Balego socks. They are a little pricey but last a long time and since i switched to them I have all but eliminated blisters. First started with regular cotton socks and they just did not go well.

A little late with todays question. Had some minor car issues this morning, and of course I do not have proper tools so it took a while to correct. Work is very busy but Disney is just 4 more days away!!!!!

QOTD: Its been a while since we had a running sock discussion, so lets revisit it today. What type of sock do you run in? Which ones have you tried and found just dont work for you?

Balega Hidden Comfort are my go to socks. I have yet to find anything to complain about with them. I've also had good success with Thor-Lo running socks. I find that Feetures and other brands that are padded in the heel and forefoot area but very thin through the mid-foot don't work well for me. I tend to have PF twinges with that style.

Reporting an unusual animal sighting on my run today: I run on rural roads and have seen plenty of deer, rabbits, raccoons, possums, skunks, snakes, and an occasional coyote or fox. No bears yet.

Today I saw a mink or an otter (pretty sure it wasn't a badger) amble across the road.

ATTQOTD: I have Feetures, Balega, Darn Tough and Injinji socks. I will only race in the Injinji as they eliminated my blister problems! I wore them in my marathon in March in which I was soaked to the skin and my socks and shoes were a soggy mess for 23 miles and I did not get a single blister! I wear all the other socks for short trainig runs - anything over 6 miles I only wear Injinji. :)

ATTQOTD: Double layer WrightSocks for me. The idea is that the layers rub against each other preventing the shoe from rubbing your foot. I have them in several weights/lengths. Even most of my casual and dress socks are WrightSocks.

They used to last forever (a hole in one layer and you're still good to go), but lately they seem to be short-lived.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter