The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: I am on a quest to run a half marathon or full in every state and am selfishly using my question to get some ideas for the future. If you could only pick one state and race to run for the rest of your life, which state and race would you pick and why?

AATQOTD: For a state, it would have to be Washington - specifically western Washington. The temperatures are fantastic most of the year. I run early in the mornings and during the summer it was generally in the 50s or 60s. It's a bit colder in the winter, but not intolerably so if you can handle a little rain. If you're running during daylight, there's usually a good amount of greenery and scenery to go with it. The areas east of the Cascade mountains are generally a lot hotter in the summer and colder in the winter, so I personally wouldn't go for that.

For races, I've only done the Seattle R&R Half Marathon, Seattle Half Marathon, Tacoma City Half Marathon, Hot Chocolate 15K, and various 5Ks. Of that bunch, I'd probably do the R&R Half Marathon. It's in the summer, so you're less likely to have a cold rain than the Seattle Marathon and is a bit more scenic than the others.

Who wants a good laugh! On the Omaha Marathon facebook for this weekend they posted the below! It will be brutal actually, humidity at start will be high 90% or more and it will be 70s and into the high 80s when a lot finish - how on earth is that outstanding?!! We are above average now and it's like a sauna outside. So, I thank Disney for being smart with their heat advisory warnings unlike this lack of common sense.

"We are happy to report weather looks OUTSTANDING for Sunday
SUN SEP 16 Sunny 86°67° 10% SSE 12 mph 66%"

Who wants a good laugh! On the Omaha Marathon facebook for this weekend they posted the below! It will be brutal actually, humidity at start will be high 90% or more and it will be 70s and into the high 80s when a lot finish - how on earth is that outstanding?!! We are above average now and it's like a sauna outside. So, I thank Disney for being smart with their heat advisory warnings unlike this lack of common sense.

I just saw that on their FB page too!! Uhh... who thinks that's a good marathon day?? That's like border line too hot to go to the zoo...
I hope it cools down for you! I'll be thinking of you!

Uh. I’m at a loss for words for that.

This is a significant portion of why I signed up for my first half.
It never occurred to me that I should work up to a half. I started with a half and didn't run my first 10K until years later and didn't run my first 5K until this year.

I want this to be true. I do not think I will be able to achieve this by January.
As someone who is usually finishing a half around 9:30 to 10:00am, you can still have an enjoyable day in the parks afterwards even if you're getting there around noon or 1:00pm.

As someone who is usually finishing a half around 9:30 to 10:00am, you can still have an enjoyable day in the parks afterwards even if you're getting there around noon or 1:00pm.

I had a decent time at Disneyland after the Light Side Half; I felt more awake after that than I did after the 10k the day before, actually. Slept really well that night, though.

After the Dark Side Half, I was kinda zoned out for the day. Went to Animal Kingdom and got a bunch of pictures - bought 1-Day Photopass for the race photos, and then took my medals to every Photopass photographer I could find, including the ones with Mickey and Minnie. I probably would have gone back to the room early if I hadn't had a Rivers of Light fastpass.

I had a decent time at Disneyland after the Light Side Half; I felt more awake after that than I did after the 10k the day before, actually. Slept really well that night, though.

After the Dark Side Half, I was kinda zoned out for the day. Went to Animal Kingdom and got a bunch of pictures - bought 1-Day Photopass for the race photos, and then took my medals to every Photopass photographer I could find, including the ones with Mickey and Minnie. I probably would have gone back to the room early if I hadn't had a Rivers of Light fastpass.
I don't sleep as well as I would like the night before a race, but when I've run a race the day before another race, I sleep just fine.

I always make myself stay until after the fireworks on a race day. If I just ran the half, then I may stick around for Fantasmic if I feel like it at Disneyland. The more I keep moving the better I feel the next day. Even if that moving is slow, it still works.

The sheep quiz was fun but there's a few I'm not sure if I had answers that were right. Will be I interesting to see the results for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter