The Running Thread - 2018

So if you're thinking of West Coast, @LSUlakes , we had a fun trip last year. We flew into Vegas (super cheap flights for us) and stayed 2 nights there, then rented a sports car and drove from Vegas to CA, which made the drive super fun. It was about 4 hours if I remember right, but we like road trips. We visited DLR for 2 days, went into LA and saw a taping of the Jimmy Kimmel show and went to a beach. We spent another night in Vegas and then flew home. If you're not interested in LA, there are so many other options to visit too.

First off, this is a lot of great info! Thank you so much!. Our planned travel days are June 1 to June 8, 2019.

You are welcome. If you decide on Cedar Point let me know in the 2019 thread or feel free to DM me. Early June can be a bit cool so keep an eye on weather. It won't be freezing but we could get into the 40's still overnight some years but it can also be in the 90's by then. It is unpredictable.

Bonus question: I meant to answer this before. I also vote DL! And I am not a wine drinker either but since I am from that part of the country I love it. A trip over to the ocean on the northern California coast is worth a day also. It is so beautiful, but cold and rugged - nothing like southern California beaches. Plus there are tons of little towns that are unique and fun to visit and shop/sight see. I also love San Francisco! But stick to the touristy areas as a lot of the other areas can be pretty sketchy. Golden gate bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Nob Hill, Embarcadero, etc. Ride a cable car! :)

ATTQOTD: No plans yet for New Years Eve. My New Year's resolution this year and every year is do more yoga.

Bonus: If you and your wife are roller coaster enthusiasts, Cedar Point is the place for you!! Nowhere else in the country do you have that many record breaking coasters in one spot. That said, two days is all you really need there, especially if you go on weekdays. You could always spend a couple of days at CP and then hop on over to Michigan - we have big lakes and lovely beaches, that could be very romantic and relaxing. :-)

The Disneyland option really does seem amazing and I want to go so bad! I've read two days is plenty over there, but we have never been so IDK. Ideas for hotels near the park? Instead of the wine country I can think of many other things I would like to do while over in the part of the world. Maybe a day trip to wine country could convince DW to head that direction. Tomorrow we should have a bit more time to talk about some of these options and do a little more research.
You can definitely do more than 2 days there. Especially if you have never been there before. I am a WDW vet and I have been to Disneyland four times. Folks will tell you that the offsite hotels are just as good because they are so close to the parks - some even closer than the onsite hotels. We stayed once at one of the Marriott's that was a short walk away. And while the hotel was nice and it was a nice short walk, for us, it just didn't compare to staying at one of the Disney hotels. I think it is because we are used the Disney immersion you get at WDW. We have stayed twice at the Disneyland Hotel and once at the Grand Californian.

ATTQOTD: NYE: Eat lunch out, then shop for treats to nibble on till midnight and a couple of bottles of champagne. Stay up till 12:00:01.

NYD: Probably go for a joggle (my name for a non-serious run) of 3 miles or so. Nothing else planned.

As far as resolutions, mine are more of a private, mental set of goals for the year. Although now I'm thinking it would be a good idea to record those somewhere, to be more accountable.

ATTQOTD: No big plans for NYE or NYD. Maybe some runs if the weather cooperates. Right now, looks to be very cool and wet Saturday through Tues in Houston.

Bonus question: My pick would be west coast. So many great options for adults only, plus Disneyland.

Good info on Cedar Point. We promised my oldest his graduation present/getting into college would be a road trip to cedar point, so he has been planning on it. I think we are looking at July for our trip. He is a roller-coaster addict, so this is high on his list of must dos.

ATTQOTD: We normally go to NC to visit our friends for NYE, but he is deploying on January 6th so we wanted to give them some time with just family so we will be at home. I will probably be the only one awake in my house at midnight. Our dogs and my husband love sleep and go to bed super early. I am off work NYE and my husband has to work, so I will get to binge Netflix all day which I am looking forward to!

Bonus: I've never been to Cedar Point, but I'd vote to go somewhere else especially since it is your 10th anniversary. We are hoping to go to Hawaii for our tenth (in three years) but I probably need to start saving now. Since your wife wants to stay in the country, I'd vote Disneyland and rent a car to see some other areas of California. I am not a wine drinker either, but the pictures I have seen of that area are gorgeous! I am sure y'all will have a great time no matter what you decide!

Edited to add resolutions: I still really want that sub-4 marathon but it may not happen in 2019 and that's okay. My main goal is to cut back on the soft drinks (AGAIN). I had completely stopped drinking them and now I've gotten back into the habit of having one per day. :o

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: No plans. I am going to try my best to stay up on NYE. I’m just going to make a bunch of apps to snack on all night. NYD I will take all the Christmas stuff down and watch CFB. NYD is actually my favorite holiday, I’m not sure why.

No resolutions. I just want to continue the progress I made in running and life stuff this year.

BONUS: Our 10 year anniversary is this June too! We were planning a 2-week trip to California in November to celebrate, but now DH is running NYC so that will suffice. So, I vote for California for you guys! But if theme parks and roller coasters is something you both like to do together, then do that. We went to Punta Cana on our honeymoon and it was okay. It was beautiful, but just not our jam, at least for as long as we went. Easy flight from the east coast though!

So for todays question I want to know what are you doing for NYE and NYD? Also, do you have a New Years resolution?
NYE: Running 4 miles and hopefully in bed before midnight. I may head into San Francisco in the afternoon for a college basketball game, I may head to my sister's for the evening, or I may just stay at home and relax.

NYD: Running 4 miles and watching college football. Hopefully I have all the Christmas decorations down before then so I can enjoy it.

The other idea is likely a little over budget but consisted of going to Disneyland for 2-3 days and then wine country for 2-3 days with maybe a day in San Francisco. I like the Disneyland part, but not much a wine drinker.
Disneyland is a very different experience. It has a unique charm and warmth to it that Disney World just does not. I enjoy both resorts for different reasons. I have two notes about your projected number of days in Disneyland and your travel dates.

First off, 2-3 days is risking shortchanging yourself. Disneyland by itself has more attractions than the Magic Kingdom. Furthermore, in a few cases, the Disneyland version of the same attraction is either substantially longer and more detailed and/or very different from its Florida counterpart. On the whole, the two California parks have only about 10 fewer attractions than the 4 Florida parks. I tend to recommend 4 days.

Second, based on how Disneyland set their blockout dates for APs in June and is offering rarely seen discounts on park tickets that must be used before late May, it sure appears that Disneyland is looking to open Galaxy's Edge possibly as early as June 1st. For the first time ever, instead of blocking out days, the entire DLR is blocking out parks. All the lower tier passes will be unable to visit Disneyland effective June 1st without blockouts not being lifted for Disneyland until later in August. Lower tier passes (deluxe and lower) will be able to visit California Adventure as long as their pass isn't blocked out.

The Disneyland option really does seem amazing and I want to go so bad! I've read two days is plenty over there, but we have never been so IDK. Ideas for hotels near the park?
You can get some nice enough hotels right across the street from the main entrance that are closer to both parks than the Contemporary is to the MK except the cost will be substantially cheaper. Off property and close, I like Desert Inn and Suites, Tropicana Inn and Suites, or Del Sol Inn and Suites. I've heard good reviews for the Candy Cane Inn though I've never stayed there. There's also Fairfield by Mariott within a short walk to the main entrance.

The 3 Disney owned resorts can be substantially more expensive and only the Grand Californian is closer to the parks than some of the motels right on Harbor Blvd across the street.

A date on a calendar seems an unlikely trigger for success. If someone wants to get in shape or lose weight, for example, any day is a great day to start. I would never criticize anyone for taking positive steps to improve health or fitness, however I will do everything I can to avoid the gym next week.
It's almost comical to see just how busy the gym will get for about 1-2 weeks. Then it reverts to normal.

Or maybe go up to Yosemite instead of Napa, or go look at the redwoods? Tahoe is gorgeous that time of year, as another option. There's plenty to do in northern California that doesn't involve the wineries.
Yosemite is amazing. So worth it.

You need way more than 2 days for those parks though.
Disneyland by itself can take 2 days to really explore and soak in. And if Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is open, who knows how insane the crowds could be.

Then you could drive up to San Fran and see some sights up there (cough, Walt Disney Family Museum, cough).
The Walt Disney Family Museum alone could take anywhere from 4-6 hours honestly. It's a far more substantive version of One Man's Dream with a lot more to see. If you love the history of Disney outside the theme parks and/or admire Walt Disney the person, the museum is incredible.

I can definitely help you out with places to stay around Disneyland if you go that route. You ~can~ do two days there but they will be full to the brim, if you are okay with that. Haha. Good luck!
I also think that just 2 days leaves you very little time to revisit favorites that aren't found in Florida including Pirates of the Caribbean. Anyone who has ridden both, well versions, knows what I'm talking about.

I'm also wiling to help on Disneyland questions.

ATTQOTD: NYE is a time for football, movies and bed before midnight.
A wonderful NYE in my book.

I also love San Francisco! But stick to the touristy areas as a lot of the other areas can be pretty sketchy. Golden gate bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, Nob Hill, Embarcadero, etc. Ride a cable car!
You may want to rent a car in San Francisco. Some of these locations are nowhere near each other. If you're a baseball fan, I strongly recommend catching a game at AT&T Park. It's a beautiful place to watch a game.

And my most crucial piece of advice. Pack a warm jacket for the summer in San Francisco. It's real easy to spot the tourists in the summer. They're dressed for a day at the beach and shivering in their shorts and t-shirts while the rest of us are often in long pants with jackets. Mark Twain once said the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

I vote Disneyland and instead of NoCal, I would do three days at Disneyland/Newport Beach and then spend the rest of the week between San Diego and Catalina Island.

NYE: If I get my way, we'll be at home watching the NBA League Pass and then a couple of episodes of Game of Thrones until midnight. BF is watching it for the first time!

NYD: Start the morning with a run. We're doing Couch to 5k together. Neither of us are morning people so it's amusing to see the arrows shooting from his eyes when it's time to get up and get going. I'm not sure if his kids will be over during the day or if we'll be able to go out on a lunch date. More NBA at night though! Sometimes we fire up the second TV for the full bar atmosphere.

Resolutions: Just to keep on the track that I'm on! Maybe drink less beer :drinking1

@LSUlakes : I'd say 3 days in Disneyland and then Napa for 2. I say that because I'm hip deep in planning a Napa getaway for the weekend before Valentine's Day. I had the choice of Napa or Monterey for this trip and had to go with Napa even though neither my boyfriend or I are wine drinkers. The area itself is spectacular! I fell in love with it when my friends took me to Calistoga years ago for a birthday. I still dream about the Indian Springs hot spring pool. We're planning a couple of nice dinners, relaxing on the grounds of the hotel and a trip to Oxbow Public Market in Napa (we'll actually be in St. Helena). And we're going to hike a couple of trails during the two days we're there.

If you've never been to DL, well, you gotta. It has a heart and soul that's somewhat missing at WDW. Disneyland Hotel is my personal favorite of the 3 Disney hotels. It houses Steakhouse 55 and Trader Sam's. But, it's expensive. I'd opt to stay off-site and spend my money elsewhere. My go to property is Hotel Indigo. It's a converted Holiday Inn Express but the rooms are nice and the bathrooms are excellent. Glass walk-in showers. And the beds are so comfortable. Great service too!

Whatever you decide, congrats on your 10 years together!

NYE: Working 1/2 day, dinner with kids and then maybe some wine and cheese at local wine bar with wife (depending on if kids need rides to friends or not)
NYD: morning run, and since it's my oldest son's Bday...we always have a NYD/Bday party at our house, watch NHL Winter Classic

Post NYD: start laying out luggage, run clothes and other items for Marathon Weekend

We stay home in NYE and make fancy appetizers and watch movies/tv.

My resolutions are to work on reducing my anxiety/stress and increase my strength training. I also want to become a better bread baker. I signed up for the new AMR training plan - many happy miles - so I think that will help with the first 2, and I bought a sourdough starter to help with the 3rd.

ATTQOTD: we are heading to Boston on Saturday to celebrate our anniversary. We are to the Museum of Fine Arts as they have a Winnie the Pooh exhibit and a special impression one that we want to see. Then dinner in the North End. DH has to work NYE so we will probably stay in and watch our wedding video and drink champagne and then hang out NYD. I don’t go back to work until 1/3 and I’m really enjoying just hanging out.

We are taking our girls to the MFA tomorrow to see the Winnie the Pooh exhibit - have heard great things! Mexican in Harvard Square after :yay:

If you've never been to DL, well, you gotta. It has a heart and soul that's somewhat missing at WDW.
I always struggle with how to express this sentiment in a way that doesn't make it sound like I dislike WDW but there really is something different about Disneyland. I know some people sing its praises because it's so compact and everything is much closer together, but that isn't what makes Disneyland special. Maybe it's the history of the place. Maybe it's because Walt Disney risked his home to build the place. Maybe it's because everybody told him it would never work. Maybe it's because there are so many photos of Walt Disney wandering around the place.

I like how Tony Baxter put it. He described the Magic Kingdom as Disney on a grand scale and then proceeded to call Disneyland the crown jewel of the Disney theme parks.

ATTQOTD part 2: NYE Plans? We typically stay home and do a movie marathon and play games with our teenagers. Might not happen this year as they might have their own plans.
Probably do a 5 mile run to close out the year.

NYD: Watch the parade and Football. Going to run a 5kish distance around the neighborhood.

2019: Better work/life balance. Too much work doesn't leave much time for enjoying life. Gotta fix that.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: We usually do nothing for NYE except order some Thai food and play video games or watch tv. But we got invited to a board gaming night at some friends that live about 45 min away, so we'll be on the road, which I'm not thrilled about. I'm going to OTF in the morning. And probably working during the day at least some. We never have any special plans for NYD.

As for resolutions, I'm not really into making the grand sweeping resolutions, but I do want to clean up my diet and buckle down on weight loss. And be better about practicing agility with Penny. We live in a townhouse so it's tough, because I don't have a yard where I can put equipment out, and also this is New England and it's cold out there now. :) But I could be doing a little more indoors rather than only practicing when we are at class or seminars or run thrus.

I always struggle with how to express this sentiment in a way that doesn't make it sound like I dislike WDW but there really is something different about Disneyland.

It's unexpected, but I feel that Disneyland has a bit of an East Coast feel while WDW feels more West Coast. DL is all crammed together and stacked on top of itself because there's just no room to grow, like NYC or Boston, while WDW sprawls like Los Angeles or San Jose, consuming space just because it can.

A lot of things that WDW copies from DL come off as more polished but less...not sure exactly what the word I'm looking for here, 'authentic' is the one coming to mind but that's not quite right. Things that DL included due to hard physical limitations (the Haunted Mansion stretching room, the Pirates waterfalls) become just decorations that are added because they're expected. On the other hand, WDW can do things that DL has nowhere near enough space to manage - let's start with something like World Showcase Lagoon, which would cover most of Disneyland, and then move on to Animal Kingdom, larger than the entire Disneyland Resort...

I love them both dearly, but Disneyland definitely has first claim on me.

A lot of things that WDW copies from DL come off as more polished but less...not sure exactly what the word I'm looking for here, 'authentic' is the one coming to mind but that's not quite right. Things that DL included due to hard physical limitations (the Haunted Mansion stretching room, the Pirates waterfalls) become just decorations that are added because they're expected.
Some of the challenges that Disneyland faces (landlocked, heavy local population that visits all the time) have wound up benefiting the park to tremendous degree. The land issue forced them to think outside the berm and thus the stretching room from Haunted Mansion, waterfall drops, and going up the waterfall came to Disneyland. Florida copied the stretching room, but for whatever reason chose a 5 minute pirate themed boat ride instead of even trying the 15 minute version. There are visual gags in multiple recent Disney films (and not just the Pirates ones) that rely on the viewer either having been to Disneyland or at least knowing how Disneyland is different from the Magic Kingdom.

On the other hand, WDW can do things that DL has nowhere near enough space to manage - let's start with something like World Showcase Lagoon, which would cover most of Disneyland, and then move on to Animal Kingdom, larger than the entire Disneyland Resort...
That to me is where WDW shines. When they take the size and really do something unique with. Before new Fantasyland, Disneyland had Fantasyland and the Magic Kingdom had really elaborate tent shaped buildings. Now the Magic Kingdom has an enjoyable Fantasyland. But I will still argue that Disneyland's is better because the entire area has a cohesive theme instead of the mishmash that clearly delineates new Fantasyland from elaborate tent themed land.

I love them both dearly, but Disneyland definitely has first claim on me.
Same here. I disagree with those who elevate Disneyland by putting down Disney World or vice versa. There are things that one does better than the other. And there are things they both do equally well. Hence why I believe that Disney fans should experience both.

QOTD: Today is likely our last QOTD of the year. DS is getting tubes put in tomorrow morning and we have another bust weekend plus NYE. So for todays question I want to know what are you doing for NYE and NYD? Also, do you have a New Years resolution?

We're heading to Disney for NYE. Dinner at V&A for their champagne extravaganza followed by the fireworks. A bit of a change for us since we normally stay home with pizza and wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter