The Running Thread - 2019

Who uses a Smart Wool Smartloft running skirt? Debating between the 120 and the 60; the concern with the 120 is the zipper staying closed at the top.

Tagging @PrincessMickey since you mentioned buying one.

Had purchased a different brand skirt from another vendor and was notified today that it is unavailable in black and I don’t want the fusica so looking at Smart Wool now.
I bought both but haven’t had a test run yet. I returned the 120 without ever running in it. There isn’t give in the fabric (hence the zipper) and in the time I spent wearing it (picking up the house and doing laundry) I found it would ride up and bunch at my waist. I didn’t have a problem with the zipper (my concern based on the reviews) but I can see how this could be a problem. I did keep the 60. The front panels are the same windstop fabric but thinner batting than the 120. The sides are stretchy mesh similar to my non-fleece running tights. The 60 also has 2 hip pockets which I like in my shorts and tights. I am hoping to actually RUN in it tomorrow.
If I were looking for max warmth the 120 would do it. But, if I am running I generate enough heat I think the 60 will keep my backside toasty beyond temps my eyeballs will tolerate.

I have the 120 I have not had any issues with the zipper. The 60 won’t be quite as warm but it should be plenty warm enough. @TheHamm is right, there is not a lot of flexibility to it. Running is no problem, other workouts like stairs it might not work as well though.

I've learned to call it 'my most recent marathon'.
I'm now officially referring to 2020 WDW Marathon as my next upcoming marathon. This training cycle feels more like now that I know what I've gotten myself into, why in the world did I sign up for another one and I feel that getting out of the mindset will help my mental preparation for my second marathon.

Lifting off for Rocket City Half tomorrow!

Not sure if I'm going to be Apollo 11 or Apollo 13. That's why I race: to find out.

Looks like pretty good running weather: 45 and cloudy. A little warmer than I prefer, but the rain is predicted to be gone by start time, so I'll take it (like I have a choice).

Race/trip report on Tuesday.

@garneska, you want to come to Huntsville and set the pace?

@OldSlowGoofyGuy i wish I could. I was thinking about how I could get there but lots of traveling with the holidays. Last weekend drove to Indianapolis and next week Friday heading to Ohio.

I hope you have a great race and crush it. Going for a PR? Under 1:50?

i signed up for the Jeff Galloway half on Sunday. Mostly because I have a 15 mile training run and the race starts 4 blocks from the condo and ends in the park. I paid for water stops on my run.

good luck!

I haven’t had any issues recently. It is fixed for me.
Also a big fan of CW-X (recommended by the quotee).

I previously only used them only in the winter, but started using them year round. I have 2 versions: the 'full' compression version and the ones with ventilation panels in the front. Also good for yoga class. Not so good for grocery shopping after yoga class.
I’ll add a 3rd endorsement for CW-X compression wear. I primarily wear their Stabilyx line. The ventilated shorts do a good job cooling during the warmer months, all things considered. For the cooler times, I wear either the regular (non-ventilated) shorts, 3/4 tights or full tights, depending on the temperature. They all do a good job blocking wind and chilly air.

Thanks . I actually have two pairs of the CW-X shorts. I am not sure why I didn't think about them.

I'm also in the didn't get into Chicago camp. I think I'll do OBX that weekend. Their both flat and at least OBX is driving distance.

Santa Runs Tacoma 21k - Race Recap

Yesterday, I ran the Santa Runs Tacoma 21k. This Christmas themed event includes a 5k, 10k and 21k (half marathon). I have alternated between the 10k and 21k over the years. I chose the 21k this year because it fit in with my marathon training plan and was my third and final race of the TCMA’s Crown of the Sound series. (I will get a special challenge medal for completing 3 half marathons during the calendar year in February.) Side note, TCMA (Tacoma City Marathon Association) are the same people that started Half Fanatics and Marathon Maniacs. (This was half marathon #21 for me!)

Downtown Tacoma parking was FREE yesterday due to a holiday event. Usually it would be just $4 (incredibly cheap as compared to the $15+ event pricing you can expect in downtown Seattle!) The 21k course begins downtown, runs across the Murray Morgan Bridge, through the Tacoma’s industrial shipping district, along North Tacoma's waterfront turning around just after the 9 mile marker and back to Dock Street for the finish. This is technically a point to point course with about a half mile walk back to the start and downtown parking. However, there is almost a 100 foot elevation difference from the start-finish. There is an elevator/stairs that take you back up to the Murray Morgan Bridge. Yesterday, the elevator was down. That’s a lot of stairs!

I treated this race like a training run and took my time. Temps were 41 degrees with light rain at the start. The rain did stop for a short period of time before the mist and more light rain returned. It stopped again around the time I finished and had to hike back to my car. Yes, it was cold and wet. But, fortunately not miserably so. I was aiming for a 12/min training pace and finished in 2:34:31.

Hello everyone, I am new to this thread. I've recently taken up running again after a few years break. I am not one of those runners who 'needs' to run, but I do it to keep fit and try to manage my weight (I recently turned 50 😟). I haven't gone beyond 5k very often yet as I have been working on my speed, but I am looking to step up to 10k after winter. I need a goal/reward to encourage me, so as a regular Disney visitor I have been researching run Disney events. However, it would be a solo trip. (from UK) I am happy to run solo so I can do it all at my own pace, but I would like to meet up with people for a meal or two during my trip. Is this possible? I would love to hear from anyone who's done this, who can offer some advice.

Hello everyone, I am new to this thread. I've recently taken up running again after a few years break. I am not one of those runners who 'needs' to run, but I do it to keep fit and try to manage my weight (I recently turned 50 😟). I haven't gone beyond 5k very often yet as I have been working on my speed, but I am looking to step up to 10k after winter. I need a goal/reward to encourage me, so as a regular Disney visitor I have been researching run Disney events. However, it would be a solo trip. (from UK) I am happy to run solo so I can do it all at my own pace, but I would like to meet up with people for a meal or two during my trip. Is this possible? I would love to hear from anyone who's done this, who can offer some advice.

Welcome to the group! You would definitely find people at Disney races that you could meet up with and possibly run with if you decided. Depending on the event, there are group meetups, pre-race corral gathering, etc. Marathon weekend is the biggest event, so that would be the easiest one. On Monday during marathon weekend, there is the always popular DATW-Drink Around the World at Epcot.

Having trained for an Ironman in Iraq where my running options were a treadmill or a parking lot, here are some tips for you. One, get a big iPad and load it with movies, TV shows, and streaming apps. Two, use Zwift. It’s entertaining and has good workouts you can do. Three, take a break after every hour or episode to refuel, rehydrate, and stretch your legs a bit.

My Zwift Runpod came today! Excited to try it out later. Any tips?

Welcome! Several of us attend runDisney weekends solo. There are lots of opportunities for meetups and spending time on your own can be a good thing too. I’m never self conscious on my own at Disney.

Since you are in the UK you may want to consider the runDisney weekends at Disneyland Paris too. The inaugural Princess run weekend (with a 5k and 8k) is scheduled for May and the 5th anniversary Disneyland Paris Run Weekend is scheduled for September. I will be attending the latter (I attended the inaugural event in 2016) and participating in the 36k challenge (5k, 10k and 21k). I’m actually following up that weekend with two weeks in the UK!

Since you are in the UK you may want to consider the runDisney weekends at Disneyland Paris too. The inaugural Princess run weekend (with a 5k and 8k) is scheduled for May and the 5th anniversary Disneyland Paris Run Weekend is scheduled for September.

Yes I did look at Disneyland Paris first but it's very expensive to stay on site compared to WDW. 5 nights for one person at DL Paris (at Santa Fe, free breakfast and 6 days tickets) is just over £1200 without flights and transport from airport. I have priced up November in WDW and for 10 nights with 14 day tickets (only open to UK residents) it's only £1198 for one person which includes Magical Express and Memory Maker, staying at All Star Sports. There is a free nights offer on which brought the price down. I know the flights are more expensive to Orlando, but I think it's worth it, that's where my heart lies 😍

However, living in the north of England (Lancashire) where it's cold and wet for long periods, the Princess 10K would be more suitable as February is likely to be cooler than November, so I will price up 2021 when they release the dates.

Yes I did look at Disneyland Paris first but it's very expensive to stay on site compared to WDW. 5 nights for one person at DL Paris (at Santa Fe, free breakfast and 6 days tickets) is just over £1200 without flights and transport from airport. I have priced up November in WDW and for 10 nights with 14 day tickets (only open to UK residents) it's only £1198 for one person which includes Magical Express and Memory Maker, staying at All Star Sports. There is a free nights offer on which brought the price down. I know the flights are more expensive to Orlando, but I think it's worth it, that's where my heart lies 😍

However, living in the north of England (Lancashire) where it's cold and wet for long periods, the Princess 10K would be more suitable as February is likely to be cooler than November, so I will price up 2021 when they release the dates.
Interesting. I live in Seattle (cold and wet) and find Disneyland Paris much cheaper than WDW races. Of course that is not considering hotel since I am DVC at WDW and have to pay for a room in Paris. Both are great choices!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter