The Running Thread - 2020

ATTQOTD:

1. Still enjoy it and keep up with my mileage from the prior year the best I can.
2. Run a 1:30 half marathon.
3. Try to bike more during the summer months. Maybe to get out three or four times a week, instead of the usual two times.
4. Sign up for a race I haven't previously run in before.
1. I should end up alittle under 800 miles more than last year so passed. Still enjoying it very much too, moved to running six days a week now. I take Fridays off.
2. I only had one in-person race this year: a half and ran 1:28:36.
3. Fail. Definitely didn't get out four times a week. Might have been once or twice at best.
4. This one really didn't have a chance of getting off the runway. Hopeful for next fall I'll be able to target a race I've never done before.

December Totals
Miles: 200.8
Time: 39 hours
Avg Pace: 11:39 mi/min
Avg HR: 137* bpm

2020 Totals
Miles: 2054.5!! 😲
Time: 381 hrs 17 minutes
Avg Pace: 11:08 min/mi
Avg HR: 140* bpm

I can’t believe I crossed the 2000 mile mark! I never thought I would do that.

*I’m not sure how much to trust Garmin’s HR. It occasionally gets into cadence lock - which has messed with my VO2max and detraining/maintaining/productive 😡 - and then some runs will start really high before dropping into actual HR.

Last edited:
December Totals:
Running: 93 miles
Average Pace: 9:45

2020 Summary:
Running: 1330 miles
Average Pace: 9:47

A decent month and year for me. Mileage is down since I've retired from the marathon game. 40+ miles a week was starting to be a grind. My body is much happier with 20-30 miles a week.

Highlights: 3 in-person races, 2 before the lock-down and 1 after. An Olympic celebration run with @garneska before watching the Olympic Marathon trials (was that just this year? It seems like 5 years ago.) A run up and down Peachtree on the 4th and a virtual Peachtree the day after Thanksgiving.

I don't remember if I set any goals for 2020 and am too lazy to search for them. Not ready to set any goals for 2021, except to 'Keep on keeping on'.

Happy New Year!

Year totals look a little different

Running 1075 (goal is 1000 so that's a plus)
Biking 3349 (down 150 miles somehow)
Swimming 8 miles (I did 72 last year)

I did 2 races in December in person, a bunch of virtual races/challenges along the way. I decided to stop swimming since A) the pool was closed for almost 3 months B) I was most likely not running any triathlons C) I could quit the gym I swam at and save some money.

2020 became a year where I worked out a ton - 80 days straight at one point but shorter duration. I healed a ton - first time in a while no nagging injuries. IT band was major whacked this time last year, and my left side piriformis is the best since I hurt 4 years ago. I had run a half in December the last 7 years, and decided to not do this year. Much as a mental break as physical. Been my best decision as I did not dread having to go out for 10 plus mile runs on fall Saturdays. I know I am not in as good as a shape as past years but I am healthier. The mileage number running represents a good solid year.

2021 - I not sure yet. I have 3 deferments (a local 8k, and tow local sprints ) - just not sure yet. Getting back in the pool will be a challenge for sure

@OldSlowGoofyGuy I agree that pre Olympic run was awesome. Atlanta was such a buzz and so many people out for a run that morning. I can't believe that was this year, it seems so long ago. It was just before lockdown hit so glad we were able to make that weekend happen. Definitely a highlight.

I am not sure what 2021 will bring but i am certainly hopeful that by 2022 we will be more back to normal. I am definitely missing the usual buzz and weather watch for marathon weekend. I can't wait for in person races again.

2021 - the guy runs my gym also runs races/large events. He actually pulled off the in-person races in December. Sounds like the calendar he is seeing is getting pushed backed some, and will get real crowded second half of 2021. Example - one the triathlon I deferred is now later July versus early June (six weeks later). I expect to race in some manner more in 2021 if I want. But smaller events - full blown large events like Disney - 2022. Given what we did in December, it would take all day to run a large race.

Took up running in May of this year to get out of the house and start getting healthier.

Total for the year:
428.1 mi

Ended up running my first two 10K's this year and dropping almost 40 lbs! Currently training towards a half marathon, and hopefully an in-person race in 2021 (but definitely 2022 if nothing else).

Y'all are an inspiration, I'm only at between 15-25 mi/week right now, those of y'all that have run 1000+ miles this year are just crazy and I want to be y'all next year. Keep on keeping on everyone :)

2020 Training Summary

Running duration = 168:55 hours
Running mileage = 1175.9 miles
Running activities = 199
Average Pace = 8:37 min/mile (~97 sec slower than Marathon Tempo)
Average HR = 134 (14 bpm less than Marathon Tempo)
Indoor Cycling duration = 231:20 hours
Indoor Cycling mileage = 3748 miles
Indoor Cycling average power = 163 watts
Indoor Cycling average Normalized Power = 172 watts
Indoor Cycling activities = 174
Strength Training duration = 68:38 hours
Strength Training activities = 125
Total Training Time = 468:54 hours
Total Training activities = 498
Avg. workout duration per day that I workout (Mon off) = 1:30 hrs

Like most, 2020 was a different year when it came to training. After coming up short on my goals in the Disney Marathon, I was aiming for the April Milwaukee Marathon. But it ended up being cancelled. Just to try something new, I pivoted to doing mile training. It was an enjoyable experience despite some nagging injuries late in the training cycle. I was able to keep up my streak of PR'ing in a distance every year since I started in 2012 with a new mile PR of 5:42 (first and only time sub-6). But it's going to keep getting harder to continue to shave off time as the years go by. So I cherish these moments. The summer/fall was spent trying to tinker with training plan methodology a bit and despite an injury late in the training cycle I chalked it up as a success. I was able to train less and more efficiently, yet reach those same high levels of fitness I'm aiming for. I look forward to 2021 and what I can do next.

You know how when you go for a run and you're almost home and you realize you need another .05 or .16 or .24 miles tog et to an even number?.........

So I had an informal goal to run 1000 miles this year--a comfortable 20/week of casual running, not factoring in training for NYC marathon (ha). Well 3 months of no running due to C5/C6 issue put that to rest. Today I looked at my totals and saw that I could do a version of that (750 miles for 9 months) if I ran another 8.4 miles.......so, of course, I did.

Dec total: 89.9 miles (most since May)
2020: 750.2

Additional cycling miles/time and dog walking miles.....who knows. Maybe I'll start keeping track!

December Totals:
223.35 miles
7:16 avg/mile

Yearly Totals:
2,483.90 miles
7:22 avg/mile

Only had one in-person race this year but the total miles are a new high for me. I'm sure like many of you, just getting out for a daily run was cathartic this year. Here's to hopefully less virtual races in 2021. Hope everyone has a great New Years.

December totals
Running 87.2 miles
Avg pace 10’28”/mile
Walking 94 miles

2020 total running 1015.9 miles - made my goal of 1000!

Other goals were to PR in all distances, January saw me smash my full by almost an hour, February was a 10k PR and COVID never let me try for the 5k or half so I’m calling it a win and won’t worry about records until racing resumes.

This year I will again aim for 1000 running miles as well as run/walk the year for a total of 2021 miles and I will continue with my team to run the Circumpolar Race Around the World, about 6000 miles down and a lot to go

Hopefully I can see some of you around Wine and Dine time 🤞

December 2020 Stats:
  • Activities 22
  • Total Distance 201.98 mi
  • Total Activity Time 32:02:53 h:m:s
  • Activity Calories 21,271 C
  • Total Elev Gain 5,095 ft
  • Average Speed 6.3 mph
  • Average Heart Rate 142 bpm
  • Average Run Cadence 173 spm

2020 Running Stats:
  • Activities 232
  • Total Distance 1,340.75 mi
  • Total Activity Time 219:38:12 h:m:s
  • Activity Calories 147,200 C
  • Total Elev Gain 47,720 ft
  • Average Speed 6.1 mph
  • Average Heart Rate 143 bpm
  • Average Run Cadence 168 spm
I am so done with 2020. Only looking forward to a happy and healthy 2021. I am hopeful for RunDisney races in person this year.

December Totals:

Total Miles - 138.85 mi
Total Time - 19:44:44 h:m:s
Average Pace - 8:44
Avg HR - 142 bpm
hiking/walking/biking - ~40 mile

Total Miles - 1,430.69 mi
Total Time - 204:50:06 h:m:s
Average Pace - 8:32
Avg HR - 143 bpm

My 2020 goals were to stay healthy, keep on enjoying running, start training for marathon PR goal for next January. 2 outta 3 ain't bad with the way this year turned out.

Happy New Year!

Glad to see 2020 go and hoping for a better 2021. As bad as 2020 was for in person racing, it actually turned out to be very productive for me from a training standpoint with increased running volume across the board, including a massive PR for annual mileage. Here are the monthly and annual summaries:

December Training Summary
Running Miles: 193.86 (New PR by 18.75 miles!)
Running Time: 32:37:19
Average Pace: 10:10/mi
Average HR: 142/min
Extra: Walking Miles: 58.53

2020 Training Summary
Running Miles: 1878.39 (New PR by 522.34 miles!!!)
Running Time: 327:20:38
Average Pace: 10:32/mi
Average HR: 145/min

2020 “Racing“ Summary
5k: 1 (Dopey)
10k: 1 (Dopey)
1/2 Marathon: 1 (Dopey)
Marathon: 3 (Dopey + 2 virtual) (Unofficial PR by 12 minutes in NYC Virtual)

December miles = 169

The one thing that was pretty consistent from me during this crazy year was running. I ran a few more miles than previous years mainly because there were days I went for a run when I would have normally rested just to get out of the house.

I had a pretty ambitious 2020 race calendar planned starting with completing my first Dopey and setting a marathon PR. Everything post Dopey was canceled. I have no issue with virtual races but they are not for me. I resisted the temptation to sign up for any virtual races in 2020 although there were a few neat challenges that were tempting. Instead, I searched high and low to find smaller local races that happened in person and I ended up doing four live races post pandemic and set PR’s in 5K, 10K, and half marathon.

Just like everyone, I am hopeful that things will get better in 2021. However, my gut feeling is that 2021 will look a lot like 2020. If Disney opens up registration for Wine & Dine and Marathon Weekend, I will register for both. I am skeptical about Wine and Dine and more hopeful for Marathon 2022 - and frankly, I think there will be a few changes to runDisney post 2020. As for other races, I will play it by ear but I know I will find races to run in the Spring even if we are still social distancing. And maybe I will do a virtual if there is one that peeks my interest.

November = 141
October = 143
September = 153
August = 148
July = 153
June = 140
May = 191
April = 164
March = 164
February = 101
January = 110

2020 total miles = 1,777

2019 total miles = 1,656
2018 total miles = 1,673

Curious to see what everyone is using for tracking. I have been using SpotTracks on my desktop forever - 9 year log now. It is no longer supported on the PC so I am losing it once this machine dies. I loved having an log that easy to see what I did year over year..

And 253,731 calories in 2020 - which is much lower than 2019 or 2018. But feels more accurate frankly as I used my Garmin chest HR monitor and garmin 645 pretty religiously. Curious to see as I re-calibrated the 545 mid-year and my calories jumped higher riding. I had my profile on my 645 set too low for my age. Now my garmin bike computer and my watch match calories for calorie.

Curious to see what everyone is using for tracking. I have been using SpotTracks on my desktop forever - 9 year log now. It is no longer supported on the PC so I am losing it once this machine dies. I loved having an log that easy to see what I did year over year..

And 253,731 calories in 2020 - which is much lower than 2019 or 2018. But feels more accurate frankly as I used my Garmin chest HR monitor and garmin 645 pretty religiously. Curious to see as I re-calibrated the 545 mid-year and my calories jumped higher riding. I had my profile on my 645 set too low for my age. Now my garmin bike computer and my watch match calories for calorie.

My primary trackers are Garmin Connect and when I got over the retirement of the desktop version of SportTracks I signed up for the online version. I am actually quite happy with it. I wanted something not tied to Garmin that I also track equipment and keep notes in so I went with SportTracks.

I do sync Garmin with a bunch of other stuff but only the free versions. Training Peaks, Strava, SmashRun, and the online Elevate Chrome plug in all get my data but I don't keep any notes or make corrections in there. They just get what Garmin sends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter