The Running Thread - 2020

February Totals:
215 miles - highest mileage month ever and 38th month in a row of 100+ miles. :oops:
56 Barkley (golden retriever) miles
155 Average HR
9:41 Average Pace

ATTQOTD: I am pretty stubborn and still run if sick, unless it is in my chest like others have mentioned. I ran a 5k with a horrible sinus infection back in November and questioned all my life choices though, so maybe I need to be smarter about it.

I will jump in with a QOTD. With all the talk of the flu, it is a timely topic:

We have talked about how we adjust our runs based on weather (rain, snow, heat, humidity, etc), but how do you adjust your runs/training schedule based on sickness? Do you run through it (I know a lot of us runners do), do you wait until you are fully recovered or do you adjust your distance pace and if so how? (note: if @DopeyBadger has a calculation for this one, I will fall off my chair. lol).

ATTQOTD: I am fortunate in that I rarely get sick. I haven't had a contagious illness worse than a cold (such as a fever or vomiting) in years - actually probably since before I started running. (And now I've just jinxed myself!) For a cold, I generally run through it, although I might make speed runs into easy runs, depending on how much it's exhausted me. Usually running is a distraction from the achiness of the cold.

I am hoping my good fortune doesn't end soon, because it seems like many more of my university students are sick this semester and things spread across campus like crazy.

Who all watched the US Olympic trails today? Fun finish for the women. Former teacher of mine finished 90th with a 2:24:09.

I watched it and was pretty underwhelmed with everyone besides Rupp. The favorites in the female field all had a bad day with even Des managing to just miss qualifying in the worst position possible, 4th. While there were some fun storylines to come out of the race like Jacob Riley and Molly Seidel what didn't come out, in my opinion, is the possibility of anything more than one medal at the games. That is if they aren't cancelled.

We have talked about how we adjust our runs based on weather (rain, snow, heat, humidity, etc), but how do you adjust your runs/training schedule based on sickness? Do you run through it (I know a lot of us runners do), do you wait until you are fully recovered or do you adjust your distance pace and if so how? (note: if @DopeyBadger has a calculation for this one, I will fall off my chair. lol).

I don't run while sick. I might do a slow MAF run at the tail end of an illness but I don't want to add stress to a system already trying to deal with something.

I watched it and was pretty underwhelmed with everyone besides Rupp. The favorites in the female field all had a bad day with even Des managing to just miss qualifying in the worst position possible, 4th. While there were some fun storylines to come out of the race like Jacob Riley and Molly Seidel what didn't come out, in my opinion, is the possibility of anything more than one medal at the games. That is if they aren't cancelled.
Thats certainly an interesting opinion. You have to remember the course choice here. Originally the marathon course for the games was supposed to be very similar with lots of hills. When that change was made it was too late to change the trials. That could help or hurt the qualifiers.

Thats certainly an interesting opinion. You have to remember the course choice here. Originally the marathon course for the games was supposed to be very similar with lots of hills. When that change was made it was too late to change the trials. That could help or hurt the qualifiers.

Do you think we have a medal shot outside of Rupp? He looked totally in control.

I was really hoping Jordan could out together a good race but maybe she will focus on Boston now.

I loved following Walmsley's build up to the games. I wanted to see what happened when a long distance guy dropped down to the marathon. I knew he didn't have a shot at the top 3 but he added some much needed personality.

Ward really screwed the proverbial pooch. I would have thought he was a sure 2nd place behind Rupp.

Do you think we have a medal shot outside of Rupp? He looked totally in control.

I was really hoping Jordan could out together a good race but maybe she will focus on Boston now.

I loved following Walmsley's build up to the games. I wanted to see what happened when a long distance guy dropped down to the marathon. I knew he didn't have a shot at the top 3 but he added some much needed personality.

Ward really screwed the proverbial pooch. I would have thought he was a sure 2nd place behind Rupp.
I don't know enough about the other countries participating runners to form an opinion. I am not a fan of Rupp as it is but anything can happen in the Olympics. We have seen surprised before.

Monthly Totals:
Running: 4 miles
Biking: 155 miles
Walking: 98 miles

And with February ending I get to return to running! I am pretty much starting from scratch, outside of one run I snuck in during the no-running period my last run was the WDW Marathon. But I am feeling good, hip feels great and I have the thumbs up from my PT. So I begin a new training plan tomorrow and will be building towards a 10K in May and then a POT effort Half in early September. In between I will likely sneak in a few trail races and 5k’s with my daughter. Overall though this is going to be a year of rebuilding slowly, smartly and injury free! And hopefully a strong Dopey in January.

ATTQOTD: I follow the same rule several others shared. I will run if the sickness is up in my head but if it is in my chest then I rest.

Much like @camaker I try to follow the "above the neck = run" approach. I'm usually not very successful, though. I end up skipping a shorter run or two to allow me to get my long run in. I rarely miss one of those.

Rupp certainly has a shot at another medal if the race is tactical. If one of the Kenyans or Ethiopians turns it into a drag race, no one else will have a shot, though without pacers, this is unlikely unless they run using team tactics and offer up a few sacrificial lambs.

Walmsley definitely added some personality to the trials. I hope he's able to put in an impressive showing at Comrades. It's been a long time since someone from the US won or even earned one of the gold medals.

February 2020
All running
Miles: 15.7 ☹
Avg. Pace: 9:55

I pinched a nerve in my back on 1/30 so didn't run 1 step in Feb until the 16th. Started at 1 mile. Ended with a 4 mile run on the 25th but didn't run the rest of the last week due to weather. Back is at about 80%...I hope it keeps getting better. I really upped my post-run stretching regimen. I need to stick with that.

My short-term target race (Cap City Half in late April) is now 50-50. Long-term is still the Space Coast marathon in late Nov. I'm signed-up for the Half...I hope to switch to the Full if my training continues to go well.

Well, I'm currently recovering from the flu. I can say with 100% certainty that I would never run while feeling like this - it would have probably been very dangerous. I had a fever up to about 102 and was eating very very little. Walking to the bathroom 10 feet away left me dizzy and wanting to legitimately cry. I've lost about 6-7lbs.

My fever is now gone, but I'm still struggling to get back to eating normally and the body aches are still very present.

Running right now is just not worth it.

With that said, I'm starting to think about when I'm going to start back up and how. Not sure how bad the loss of fitness will be + I don't have a training plan to jump back into.

Well, I'm currently recovering from the flu. I can say with 100% certainty that I would never run while feeling like this - it would have probably been very dangerous. I had a fever up to about 102 and was eating very very little. Walking to the bathroom 10 feet away left me dizzy and wanting to legitimately cry. I've lost about 6-7lbs.

My fever is now gone, but I'm still struggling to get back to eating normally and the body aches are still very present.

Running right now is just not worth it.

With that said, I'm starting to think about when I'm going to start back up and how. Not sure how bad the loss of fitness will be + I don't have a training plan to jump back into.
I've been where you are now - twice. My best advice is to take it really, really slow, and follow what your body is telling you it wants. Both times I had the flu, I wound up with secondary bronchitis, which then led to secondary pneumonia. In both cases I wasn't getting enough rest, was pushing too hard to work/take care of my child/manage a home/exercise. I really didn't have a choice about the other stuff, but I think if I'd taken it more easy and reduced the exercise I'd have recovered sooner and better, and maybe without the permanent damage I did to my lungs. I suggest that if you're starting to feel antsy, take a walk, at whatever pace feels good, for as long as it feels good. Might be 5-10 minutes at a slow stroll - that's okay! Try some really basic strength training, like bicep curls, squats, push-ups, sit-ups - not too many at once, don't overexert, just move a bit and see how your HR and breathing feel. You'll get back to where you want to be, but don't rush it!

Hi everybody! I am new-ish to the community and boards, but trying to find some motivation after I finish the NYC Half Marathon on 3/15. Which will be followed by a week at WDW starting on 3/21 with my husband and five-year-old son, I'm happy to say. We're staying at the Gran Destino Tower and doing five park days, I can't wait!

I'm planning to register for the W&D 10K next week, and other goals for the year include the Queens 10K and the Bronx 10 Miler, which are in June and September. And also to do some trail running around NYC (where I live, if that wasn't obvious) this summer.

In February, I ran 15 times, 60 miles total, 11:24 average pace. Hoping to equal that even with our WDW trip in March, and start building up to 80-mile plus months and a race pace under 10 minutes a mile starting in April.

I've been catching up on the posts so far this year and am so inspired by everyone -- looking forward to reading, and running, over the next few weeks and months!

I am stepping up to 10k (started in January) but the terrible English winter weather had made it difficult as it's been gale force winds and rain throughout February. I'm at 8kms and definitely feel ready to go further, so I am praying for some dry, still weather at the weekend. I am hoping to get a spot on the Princess 10k next year, but my first ever 10k race is on April 5th in the UK. I'm hoping it's the start of many races to come and in lots of far flung places.

ATTQOTD: In my earlier days of not understanding how recovery actually works when time is lost to illness, I attempted to run through everything and maintain my healthy pace. That made for some very difficult short runs to say nothing of absolutely miserable long runs that felt worse than the most difficult race of my life. In hindsight, I should have either skipped a run or two, slowed down a bit, or shortened the distance.

Now, I tend to make the decision based on feel. If I am miserable beyond all reason, then I skip the run to fight another day. Generally, if I can start the run then I will be able to finish it. Sometimes I do short runs, but take the long run off.

Messed up on yesterday's run--I realized halfway through that my shoes were too loose, but didn't want to stop and redo the laces because it was "only" a half hour run. Even the smallest amount of slipping in my shoes is apparently enough to give me shin and ankle pain inside of twenty minutes. Very stiff this morning, shins still tender this evening. The weather's been decent, but I'm thinking I may stay inside and row tomorrow anyway just for the lower impact workout.

Lesson hopefully learned? Except it's not the first time I've done this to myself.

Yeah, I had a mess up on yesterday's run too. I've had knee pain for the past couple weeks and haven't been doing speed work. I tried to do my speed work yesterday and I could tell that I couldn't hit my planned pace. I decided I was ok with that and to just do what I could. But then I made the stupid decision on the last interval to try to push and hit my planned pace just for that last interval. Good news, I hit my pace! Bad news, the minute I stopped running I had a shooting pain in my good knee :( Thankfully, I was able to walk home and as I walked, the pain lessened. And it seems fine today. But that's another lesson in listening to my body.

May be of interest to people here: it looks like runDisney has changed the Proof of Time rules a bit as of Wine and Dine. Specifically, you don’t need to submit a PoT unless you’re claiming a 2:30 or better time. The runDisney website says 2:45 still, but registration says 2:30.

May be of interest to people here: it looks like runDisney has changed the Proof of Time rules a bit as of Wine and Dine. Specifically, you don’t need to submit a PoT unless you’re claiming a 2:30 or better time. The runDisney website says 2:45 still, but registration says 2:30.
So if we go off @DopeyBadger 's previous post, it is similar to eliminating the last POT corral, and now requires a 1:08 or better 10K?

I'm going to hope for a flat 10k with better weather than I ever seem to get.....

So if we go off @DopeyBadger 's previous post, it is similar to eliminating the last POT corral, and now requires a 1:08 or better 10K?

I'm going to hope for a flat 10k with better weather than I ever seem to get.....

There’s a lovely flat race that I was already planning to do, 5 days before the cutoff. I think I’m training for a 1:06 10k there...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter