The Running Thread - 2020

I’ve never done a resort run, but would try it if we stayed at one of the resorts and it worked with the schedule!!

Anyone enter the NYC Marathon lottery? I submitted my TQ application just before they filled up and it's pending, so hopefully I can run!
I entered, but I'm getting a sponsor bib, so I will be doing it.

I don't have the 2019 results (and no need to do it for me), but looks like Luis Barboza now holds the crown for fastest cumulative Dopey time. Didn't ever think I'd see Michael Wardian's 2014 record of 4:38:45 be broken. Barboza averaged a 5:30 min/mile over the 48.6 miles to a time of 4:26:56. Crazy!
That is really impressive.

ATTQOTD:
I've run with our Golden Belle. Getting the right pace is hard. My normal running pace is kind of between her walk and all out sprint. She's good for runs of up to about 5 miles and then she's ready to find a comfy chair and go back to sleep.

ATTQOTD:
I've run with our Golden Belle. Getting the right pace is hard. My normal running pace is kind of between her walk and all out sprint. She's good for runs of up to about 5 miles and then she's ready to find a comfy chair and go back to sleep.

Our Bella got her first sub 8 min mile yesterday. We had a half mile warm up, 1 mile below goal 5k pace and half mile cool down. She had to potty a 1/4 mile into the mile, but she was still pulling for more. From what I have read from others with the same breed, a half marathon should be easy to get to with her. So I guess thats the goal for fall.

QOTD: Do you run from home or have to travel somewhere to go run? Do you have a lot of options for mileage at home or end up having to run a loop multiple times?

ATTQOTD: Most of my midweek runs are from home. Our neighborhood is a little over a mile that makes a large B. We are connected to another street that is a out and back for a additional mile and crossing the highway for another out and back can add a mile. I hate making u-turns so I rarely run the other routes. On the weekends, I go to the LSU lakes where the options are endless for distance without repeating.

My runs recently have all been in my neighborhood. I have multiple different loops I can do that range from 4 to 6 miles. When it gets to more than 6, I would have to run the same area multiple times. But for long runs I usually try to go somewhere else to run anyway where I can just do an out and back.

ATTQOTD: I'm lucky enough that I can get plenty of mileage around my neighborhood and just outside of it. What route I take is based off what hills I feel like dealing with or not dealing with that day.

Yesterdays QOTD: I don't run with my dog. I probably should take him on a shorter run just to wear him out. He's got to get better on the leash though. He thinks every dog he sees wants to play with him and legit starts to whine and makes other weird noises when I don't let him at least say "hi."

Fun Runs - I did the Derby Dash at SSR a few weeks ago, it was very well run and a lot of fun. I loved that they emailed pics afterwards. For $15, it was worth it.
In June I am making my schedule around the BW and BC runs (we are staying at BW). I figure since we will be right there, I might aw well take advantage of the location and do both with the kids.
Running with dogs - my border collie mix, who passed away in 2014, was an awesome running partner. He was well trained and stayed nicely by my side. My pointer mix, who passed away yesterday, was a horrible running partner. He only wanted to spring for a couple minutes then walk and smell the roses. No amount of training could change his personality.
QOTD for today: I run from my house. I can do 4-5 mile runs from here pretty easily. I need to come up with a route that will get me more distance (I don't do well just doing loops. I tend to convince myself I should just stop after one time around. So I need to find a safe, somewhat flat route that will bring me a few miles from home so I'm forced to finish the run back).

Depends on the mileage and if Gantu is with me. I won't run with Gantu alone down our street because there are too many loose dogs (although my husband will but he runs with pepper spray & will kick a dog if it approaches - I don't think I could do that) I will go to a local park to run either the trail or the sidewalk there. If its just a quick 1.5 mile run alone - I'll stay on our streets near home.

My husband typically runs at home though. All the streets are off a main road and a mile long dead ends so he can easily add mileage as needed.

I don't have the 2019 results (and no need to do it for me), but looks like Luis Barboza now holds the crown for fastest cumulative Dopey time. Didn't ever think I'd see Michael Wardian's 2014 record of 4:38:45 be broken. Barboza averaged a 5:30 min/mile over the 48.6 miles to a time of 4:26:56. Crazy!
So... just slightly below your training pace. :car:

QOTD: Do you run from home or have to travel somewhere to go run? Do you have a lot of options for mileage at home or end up having to run a loop multiple times?
ATTQOTD: I have many options from my house including several paved or limestone trails on the longer runs. I don't prefer out-and-backs, so I have many loops anywhere from 3 miles to 10 miles (and every mile increment in between). I could develop loops longer than 10 miles, but if I'm going longer than 10, I usually prefer to add two loops together such that I can get fuel/hydration at home in between loops.

Catching up on ATTQOTD:

I never ran a Disney resort fun run but would like to.

I do not own a dog but I run with DD12 and probably sometimes sound like a trainer...

I have a great neighborhoods to run. Path between houses, small streets, parks, water fronts. I can go for 30km from my house and still enjoy. I also have great running options from my office: The Old Port and the Mont-Royal.

ATTQOTD: When I'm running outside, I run from my house. I've got a solid 2 mile loop through my neighborhood if I want a short run and then there are plenty of side streets/paths/parks that I can use to add on mileage for longer runs if I don't want to just keep looping.

However, right now as I am in the heart of winter in Wisconsin I have to travel about 10 minutes to the gym to get any runs in. I tried an outdoor run on Monday when the sun was out so it was "warmer" (i.e. not bitter cold) and my muscles did NOT like running in that weather. So I think I'll be traveling for my runs for a while still :laughing:

ATTQOTD: I rarely run from home because I hate pavement pounding on my 62 year old knees and ankles. Fortunately I am less than a mile from accessing a Forest Preserve river trail that goes for about 20 miles in each direction. The portion of the trail near me connects to other loop trails between 2-4 miles, so the possibilities are numerous. Now if we could just get the remaining ice to melt off of them before it snows again tonight here in Chicagoland.

BTW, I haven't yet produced a full set of Dopey 2019 results, but I did take a look (after removing all the wheel division times), and Jeff Martinez was the fastest in 2019 with a total time of 4:38:06 which BARELY beat Michael Wardian's 2014 record. For background, Jeff Martinez also participated in Dopey 2016 (1st place -> 4:44:07) and in 2017 (3rd place) when the half marathon was canceled.

ATTQOTD: I drive to the gym and start from there. In the winter, I'm on the treadmill but when it's warmer, I run about 5k to a park or to the university campus where there are paved trails. Then it's back to the gym for strength training or hanging out by the pool (I usually choose the pool) and then steam room and shower.

ATTQOTD: I never travel somewhere. I live and work in a city so I have thousands of combinations of routes I can map out whether I am starting from my office or house. When mapping out routes, I try to run on either a neighborhood/side road, paved path by the river or through a park. There are almost always sidewalks if I need them. I do my best to avoid busy roads but inevitably, it is necessary so I map my route to avoid crossing at a busy intersection and instead run along a busy road before crossing. I typically prefer a loop but recently have liked doing out and backs. I don't like running multiple loops on the same route and only do that where bad road conditions dictate it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter