The Running Thread - 2021

I ran a live race this morning...the Bill Roney Memorial 5k, put on by Hanson's Running Shops. I had not run this before, but my husband had--back when he used to run. It's flat, and the weather was ideal (mid/upper 30's, sunny, very light wind). In other words, no excuses to be found for whatever performance I turned in. I have been doing a BAA 5k plan for the last 6 weeks, and did all my training outdoors--a first for me, since usually I have always done speedwork at the gym.

The race is small--probably a couple hundred people. There were 4 waves based on expected finish. I lined up with 25-29 minutes--I honestly have no clue what time I am capable of racing a 5k in, since I haven't run one in 3 years, and my training paces for intervals were honestly, too fast. Masks were required at the start/finish area and most people complied. (Everyone had something, but it was fairly easy to distance and so some people dropped theirs). I did set my watch for 1/4 mile laps, with the intent of looking at the first two to make sure I wasn't doing anything stupid.

Actual race summary: I ran, it was the usual "5k explosion of pain" and finished in 24:41. A good result (as long as I stop comparing it to absolute times of past races). On an age-graded basis, it's about 75-76% , which is pretty much what my absolute 5k PR time converted to. I won my age group (yeah for being 62), which was nice since I need new shoes and if I go to a Hanson's shop with my bib, I get 20% off and I got $20 for being the AG winner. Not bad for a $20 race fee--which included a Brooks shirt (who else, given it's Hanson's).

So there you go. I guess I am: happy to have done a real race, happy to have trained through the dead of winter totally outdoors (an achievement, in my book), and happy to see that on at least one scale, I still can achieve a "competitive" result. But god, do 5k's hurt!

Congrats!!!!

For those following along, Ragnar released their Covid protocols and race day changes for their upcoming in-person events:
https://run.ragnarrelay.com/covid_general/

This is the biggest thing that jumped out to me (the rest of it seems pretty "common sense" at this point):
"After each race, staff are required to quarantine even if symptoms are not present."

Wow. There's a ragnar relay that practically goes past my house, and I'm wondering if these "staff" are volunteers or paid employees (I honestly have no idea), but either way, a mandatory quarantine is a hefty step (assuming they mean 10-14 day quarantine.)

Anyone know how to make the "Timeline" data disappear from the calendar days in the Garmin app? It was so nice when it wasn't there so I didn't have to keep scrolling up to get to my data.

What is your favorite gear to wear running in the rain (i.e., jackets)? I typically do my best to avoid the rain, but looking at the upcoming forecast I don't want to keep rooting for the rain to move, change my running plans or be ill-prepared to run in the rain. I'm hoping a purchase or two might make me be OK with the rain, the same way I can be OK running in the cold if I have the correct gear to wear.

What is your favorite gear to wear running in the rain (i.e., jackets)? I typically do my best to avoid the rain, but looking at the upcoming forecast I don't want to keep rooting for the rain to move, change my running plans or be ill-prepared to run in the rain. I'm hoping a purchase or two might make me be OK with the rain, the same way I can be OK running in the cold if I have the correct gear to wear.

I have a few different thickness of rain shells and vests and a few running hats. I don't really worry about my legs and will run in the rain in shorts if it isn't below 40. I have a thin waterproof shell for warm runs (Patagonia Houdini), a shell with a thin liner for slightly cooler runs (Marmot but I am not sure the model), and a breathable vest (Patagonia Wind Shiled that has since been discontinued).

The most important thing on the jacket is an adjustable hood you can tighten so the wind doesn't blow it off.

If the puddles aren't bad I just wear my road shoes and avoid them. If they are I'll throw on the trail shoes. A lot of the time in rain I hit the trails on purpose because the trees act as a shield.

Last edited:

My only contribution to this would be to wear a visor to help keep the rain off your face. Otherwise, I am of no help. I bought a nice running jacket once specifically for light rain conditions--wore it twice and gave it away. I get too warm to wear a second layer of any kind, and even a breathable jacket couldn't eliminate a buildup of sweat that made me feel soaked.

My MO for rain is to just only run in light rain and switch around workouts to adjust accordingly.

I try to not run in rain. If I do, I have running shoes in gore tex which helps keep my feet dry. I agree on the visor absolutely have to have that. I do have a rain jacket I use for running but like @jmasgat it can get very warm. My suggestion if you go a rain jacket route is to get something with pit zips so at least your core can breath a little. If it is cold and rainy I skip or move inside. If it is 60 and rainy then i just go for it with a visor.

I am an eyeglass wearer even when I run. If i suspect ran i will put in my contacts.

I used to only want to run in the rain if it was above 50 or 55F, but recently (since my TM was out of commission) I ran a couple times in upper 40s, and it wasn’t too bad. Once it was only drizzling, so really not bad. The other time was a more steady rain, but not pouring. It was fine!
My go to is to wear what I would normally wear for that temperature, plus add an emergency poncho. If that gets too warm (it holds the heat in and water can start to condense on the inside getting you wet anyways), I take it off, and tuck it in somewhere or throw it away. If it is above 55, just run in your normal running clothes, and embrace the rain. It really isn’t that bad. Just remember to put on extra lube (Body Glide, Vaseline, etc.) anywhere that might possibly chafe.
Like someone said above, the one thing I have for every run that might have rain is a visor or hat. For me, I’m usually in a hat for rain and a visor otherwise when the sun is up and it’s not too windy.

My only contribution to this would be to wear a visor to help keep the rain off your face. Otherwise, I am of no help. I bought a nice running jacket once specifically for light rain conditions--wore it twice and gave it away. I get too warm to wear a second layer of any kind, and even a breathable jacket couldn't eliminate a buildup of sweat that made me feel soaked.

My MO for rain is to just only run in light rain and switch around workouts to adjust accordingly.

Getting warm is an issue for me in the rain shell as well. The since discontinued vest I got from Patagonia has a very breathable back (that isn't waterproof on the back, just front) so that helps. Some of the rain shells have more ventilation than others. I don't have this particular jacket but a great example is the new Zephyr jacket from Janji.

I also would not run in the rain with a phone. I only take a phone on trail runs anyway but I just leave it in the car when it rains.

Last edited:
I run in the rain a LOT: I live in FL, where summer is daily monsoon season. In hot weather, I simply wear lightweight fabrics that doesn't soak up water - a tank and skirt/shorts. The rare times I run in cool temps with rain, I've used a breathable shell from Uniqlo: it does not stop me from getting wet, but does a nice job of locking in some heat. I don't run in cold rain. In any season, a hat or visor with a brim is clutch: helps keep the rain out of my eyes.

Other things you may not have considered...
A plastic baggie for your phone, if it's not waterproof.
Newspaper - excellent for speeding up drying time for shoes. Pull out the insoles and stuff with newspaper. Replace with dry newspaper after a few hours.

My indispensable rain gear includes: All the body glide, ziploc bag, hat with a visor, sunglasses.
All the places you might chafe on a really long run are likely to chafe on a much shorter and more wet run. I waver between preferring body glide and longer sleeves with compression as the upper inner arm tends to become a bloody mess with friction. Ziploc bag for phone and tissues. Sunglasses help with some eye protection, but need the visor for anything coming more straight down.
I have a light weight saucony jacket I do not love, it is not terribly breathable and I wish it had pit zips like my hiking jacket.
Did I mention lube?

Compression socks? I recall DopeyBadger having some commentary about these a few weeks ago regarding their usefulness during vs after running, and also discussed compression calf/lower leg sleeves.

But what about brands? Are there brands that you like? Brands that you have found to be a good value? Brands to avoid (over-priced or low quality)?

Compression socks? I recall DopeyBadger having some commentary about these a few weeks ago regarding their usefulness during vs after running, and also discussed compression calf/lower leg sleeves.

But what about brands? Are there brands that you like? Brands that you have found to be a good value? Brands to avoid (over-priced or low quality)?

I have pairs from CW-X, 2XU, and Zoot. I prefer the CW-X for wearing longer and the 2XU for up to an hour or two. They’re much tighter and more compressive.

I can't stand wearing very anything squeezy while running, but I love pulling on a pair of Zensah compression socks post-run. Also wonderful after a day of WDW park touring!

I don’t use compression socks, but I do use calf compression sleeves for post-race recovery. Zensah is my go-to brand for them. I do like CW-X compression gear in general, too. I wear their shorts, 3/4-length or full tights whenever I run, but that’s a little outside the scope of the original question.

I don't think there are any studies on the actual effectiveness of them for running. I have a pair of CEP knee high compression socks I will use on occasion for recovery and while I feel they help it very much could be placebo effect. I generally use them for out of town races where I'm traveling close to race day (either before or after) but with no out of town races I haven't used them in a while.

When I first started running, and I started to get shin splints, I did get a pair of CEP calf sleeves (the brand my running store carried/recommended) and wore them while running probably for a year+. I was a little scared to quit wearing them in case the shin splints came back. I believe I also found toe walks and heel walks before and after running helped with my shin splints. I started this before they got terrible or at least right after the first time that they really started to hurt.

I can give you my story on compression socks. There was one year I was completely stupid and scheduled Dopey and Star Wars anaheim in the same year a week apart. Well after I finished dopey I felt like I pulled some muscle down in my ankle/shin area (think it was the banking on one of those stupid overpasses). Figured it would go away in a day or two but it didn't and I'm getting worried as I'm heading to anaheim for 19.3 more miles. Socks made it worse because the elastic at the top of the sock hit right in the middle of the muscle or whatever. Anyway, I had some long compression socks I used for OCRs and so put one of those on which is now obviously compressing that muscle. A day later felt perfect and I was good to go. Worse that same pair of socks for both races and days in anaheim and wearing the same pair of sock multiple times didn't bother me at all (after that trip got a second paid of them).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter