The Running Thread - 2021

So what you REALLY want for training is a long, flat, featureless expanse, punctuated by a gruelingly long incline, like a highway overpass or something...
This is LITERALLY how I train for WDW lolol! Long, flat, coastal FL, punctuated by a 75' high bridge to the barrier islands. Back and first a time or two. It's perfect for WDW Marathon training - the sidewalks are even steeply cambered for that next-level lateral ankle experience! :rotfl:

I was in Destin last week and the T&D was extremely challenging. I'll be back in Florida mid-month and have more high T&D to look forward too... and some quick WDW visit. :D Trying to train for an October and November marathon too. Last week trying to run there was humbling. I'm impressed with all you folks that deal with this for such an extended time. Our summer is mostly ~140 when I run and maybe a tad higher, but we get occasional breaks. I don't think Florida does.
My family was also in Destin (Holiday Isle area on Gulf Shores Drive) and running was brutal because of T&D and wind/rain from Ida. Got in 6 miles on the last August run to make it to 100.1.
Then Wednesday (day before yesterday), we started our last Destin run of 4 mi just before sunrise with a feels-like 91* and came home to NE GA today for a feels-like 66. What a difference!

And for those who noticed, yes, we apparently attracted another hurricane. So far, Irma at WDW, Sally last year at Destin, and Ida last week. Anybody want to go on vacation with my family?

My family was also in Destin (Holiday Isle area on Gulf Shores Drive) and running was brutal because of T&D and wind/rain from Ida.

We were there a week and were supposed to leave Sunday morning. I ran my long run Saturday morning and we chilled on the beach for several hours before deciding to just pack up and leave Saturday afternoon. That allowed us to avoid the Saturday morning checkout crowd and the potential for Sunday heavy rain while driving. It was an easier than normal drive home even though we got home about 1am. As a bonus I was able to run Sunday at home in slightly lower temps. It was a great week down there, even though it was hot (as you'd expect in Florida in late August... lol).

Same. The Schuylkill River Trail is currently a kayak path. And given that people were tubing down 76, I wouldn’t be shocked if someone did try kayaking or something similar down the SRT.
I actually ventured out there this morning! It looks like the river vomited all over the trail. But mostly do-able. The problem is that the mud is very slippery mud (no surprise I guess) but there were guys out there cleaning it up. I'm hopeful for my 10.5 miler Sunday.

I actually ventured out there this morning! It looks like the river vomited all over the trail. But mostly do-able. The problem is that the mud is very slippery mud (no surprise I guess) but there were guys out there cleaning it up. I'm hopeful for my 10.5 miler Sunday.

That’s good to hear. I’ve got a 12 mile training run to get in tomorrow. I generally go either to SRT or Forbidden Drive for my long runs. But given what type of states they may be in I’m also mapping out the best way to get 12 miles in around my neighborhoods.

QOTD:

how far in advance do you plan out your races for next year? Not the BIG races (Disney, Boston, NY/Chicago) but the rest of the stuff? Take Covid out of the equation. If it were *normal* times, when do you look at local/regional races and start penciling them into your 2022 calendar?

Speaking of T+D, I was thwarted from my long run this morning by the refusing-to-nap toddler. T+D would have been like 110.

ATTQOTD:
I think this changes a lot for me. There is one semi-local race (~3 hours away, but 1.5 hours from my parents) that I have done every year since I ran my first marathon. I usually sign up for it right after I finish the race the previous year. Besides Disney, I try and do at least one marathon that I travel to, and I usually have an idea about it a year or so in advance - although I haven’t figured out what that will be for next year!

Also, I may add a few that are easy to travel to (within a days drive) or cheap and easy to fly to to fill in gaps in my schedule. Those may come about a few months ahead of time.

I really want to do Big Sur one day. I almost signed up for the lottery for next year, but I just couldn’t bring myself to forfeit $285+ if California decides that the race can’t go on next April… and I don’t really have any confidence that that won’t happen…

I have a few races in mind for the future - I just need to decide which ones I want to do first:

Ave of the Giants (someone is doing this one soon. I’m hoping for a race report!)
Skidaway Island
Charlevoix Marathon
Madeline Island

QOTD:

how far in advance do you plan out your races for next year? Not the BIG races (Disney, Boston, NY/Chicago) but the rest of the stuff? Take Covid out of the equation. If it were *normal* times, when do you look at local/regional races and start penciling them into your 2022 calendar?

ATTQOTD: I‘d say I’ve got things pretty well laid out around 9+ months in advance, sometimes as much as a year. I’ll typically go through and pick my one or two major goal races for a year and then build a training plan backwards from it/them. Once I see how that looks, I’ll check for how well individual local races fit into the plan and will work them into the schedule accordingly.

ATTQOTD:

I have a few races in mind for the future - I just need to decide which ones I want to do first:

Ave of the Giants (someone is doing this one soon. I’m hoping for a race report!)
Skidaway Island
Charlevoix Marathon
Madeline Island

Are you from Michigan and I somehow missed that? Have you done the Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City? I feel like those are really close together for dates....

QOTD:

ATTQOTD: I'm a creature of habit and generally run the same few races every year (outside of covid times). So it's planned out just by default, the races occur on the same weekends each year. This year has been different because once events became available I couldn't stop registering!

Are you from Michigan and I somehow missed that? Have you done the Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City? I feel like those are really close together for dates....
I’m not from Michigan, but it is probably about a days’ drive for me. I have thought about Bayshore, and it may still be on my list. I came across Charlevoix when I was looking to fill in holes this year (or last year - everything has run together these two years), so it might come down to which one fits the schedule better. Also, I seem to remember Bayshore could be pretty hard to get into if you didn’t sign up the day it opened???
Or if you have a better recommendation for Michigan, let me know! I tend to like scenic races. (But large marathons are fun too!)

I don't have personal experience, but yes, I think Bayshore sells out really fast (faster than Disney races.) Big difference being that you can transfer your bib for that one.....I usually see a few pop up a couple weeks before the event on various FB groups.

Bayshore is always on Memorial weekend and it looks like Charlevoix is middle of June.

I'll have a race report in a month for a scenic fall marathon about 20min W of Traverse City. :joker:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter