The Running Thread -- 2022

Herding_Cats

DIS Veteran
Credit to run.minnie.miles as all I changed from the 2021 thread was the year.

Welcome to the 2022 Edition of the Running Thread!

We talk all things running (and some things not!).. and of course, we throw in some Disney too.

ALL runners are welcome to share, read, chat and encourage. We are a supportive community and welcome all to join! The group ranges from brand new runners to Boston Qualifiers & ultra-marathoners; there is a virtual seat for everyone- don't be shy to jump in!

We will post periodic "Questions of the Day" (QOTD) and encourage everyone to participate. Please also feel free to share upcoming races and post-race reports.

Without further ado.... let's get this thread running!

Let's do this!

QOTD Topics in Chronological Order
Goals for 2022 and Review of 2021 Goals
Running in the Cold
Discussion of preferred GPS watches
Speed Training
Returning to Training After a Long Race
Fueling While Moving and Fueling in General
New Garmins Announced! Should I Upgrade?
Shoe Drop and Knee Pain
Racing Without Training..it's a bad idea, right?
Start of January Running Totals
Strength Training
Would You Rather
Rotating your Shoes
Favorite Distance to do the Training For
Start of February Running Totals
What Race are you Most Excited to Run (or attempt to register for)
What do you do with All of These Race Shirts?
Commiseration about Weather-Related Training Struggles (Motivation)
Races You Said "NO" to and it was a Good Thing
Local Running Groups: How do you Find Them?
BQ Times and Gender
What did you do After Completing C25K Plan?
Start of March Running Totals
Time to Check-in On Your Goals!
Athletic Greens?
Discussion on book Advanced Marathoning
Running Post-Stomach Bug
Gloves for Cold-Weather Running
Hal Higdon Running Plans
How to Take a Break From Running
GPS differences which morphs into Battery Life and Epix/Fenix talk
Warm-ups? Cool-downs?
Start of April Running Totals
Recovery Footwear?
Fuel
Theragun/Percussion Massagers
Favorite Running Books
Heartrate Zones and Watches v Chest Straps
Start of May Running Totals
Potentially Hazardous Wildlife while Running
Compression Socks/Calf Sleeves
What Race Have You Run the Most Times?
Data From Your First Run
Start of June Running Totals
Treadmill Recommendations
Mid-Year Goal Check-In!
Hydration Packs
Running After Having Covid
Transitioning to 0-drop Shoes
Stockpiling Shoes--how long is too long?
Persevering through Imposter Syndrome or a Crisis of Confidence
Wow, I'm Really Tired
Start of July Running Totals
How do You Decide on How Much Cushion for Your Shoes?
Anti-Chafe Products
Hydration (electrolytes) additives
Bring Your Own Water or Rely on Aid Stations?
Start of August Running Totals
How to Stay Safe When Running (Re: Eliza Fletcher)
Where Would You Run 3 Miles on Disney Property?
Running Mantras
Spin Bikes and Supplementing/Replacing Running with Biking And Tread Maintenance
Shoes Again
Weirdest Running Dream?
Favorite Strava (Premium) Features and Tips
Start of September Running Totals
Periods and Running
Cold Weather Running Skirts
Goal Check-In Time!
Therapeutic Heat Products
Start of October Running Totals
So Hungry During Marathon Training
Recovery Footwear Again
Garmins Giving Different Totals and Adjusting GPS Settings
Dressing for Winter Running
Wearing Shokz Under Winter Headwear

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: Here's what I put in 2021....

ATTQOTD: Try and stay injury-free. Stick to some structured run plans (not race training, more like maintenance, with strength training). Learn to control my chocolate weakness--starting with "sweet-free January". That should keep me busy for a while.

I succeeding 100% in failing 100%! Well--I do use race plans to keep me focused, without racing, but everything else Pfffft.

So no goals for 2022 yet. Or maybe the same ones and just keep trying. I am frustrated at the injuries that crop up--they're all different, so where to start to address. As for chocolate--I have re-classified it--in the spirit of Buddy the Elf--as its own food group.

QOTD:
For 2021 I set goals of remaining injury free and completing my first 100 Miler. I did remain injury free, but a bout with Covid ended training plans for the 100 and really set me back so I dropped that plan and focused on Dopey 2022; and am feeling ready. So one of two but still a good year!

For 2022 I am sticking with injury free and looking to get back to some ultra distances, at least the 50 miler at Run Woodstock in September. 2023 will be the year of the 100 miler.

Happy New Year!

So excited for the new thread!

QOTD:
My goal in 2021 was to stick to my training plan and feel ready for my first Dopey. I mostly did, and I mostly do, so I'll call that a win.

For 2022, I want to work running consistently into my regular routine. I tend to do nothing at all and have to start over with each new training cycle, and I'm tired of that frustration.

I am about to get a little wu wu on y’all so don’t mind me :)
If you set goals for 2021 (in the 2021 thread or just on your own), how did you do? What did they teach you about yourself?
2021 for me was all about developing a spiritual practice and developing discipline & commitment (it was the year of the Hierophant). I used this to make the decision to start a 200 hour yoga teacher training program, which I graduated from! I did a good job during the program but since it ended (and I started a new job) I haven’t been practicing yoga as much. I did not have any specific running goals set. I completed 2 sprint triathlons (I got first in Athena in one of them! It was out of like 3 people but this back of the packer will take what she can get). I did get a virtual fitness coach toward the end of the year because I learned that I do much better when I have someone to give me one-on-one accountability. I haven’t been perfect but I am doing better than I used to!
What are your running goals for 2022? Big or small, share them all!
My two main goals for the year are unrelated to running (they are finish my dissertation & work toward a more whole foods plant based diet— I suppose this one is related to running because I think it will make me a better runner). But my secondary running goals are to finish Goofy, hopefully having fun with it and not having too much pain. I want to do an Olympic distance triathlon— I am registered for Chicago at the end of August. With that I really want to improve my swimming and get lessons. And I want to overall run more miles than I did in 2021. Maybe sign up for Goofy or Dopey 2023 depending on how next (!!!) weekend goes.

Going to join in here for the first time!

My main goal for 2022 is to stick to a training plan. I enjoy working out, but find after a few weeks I get bored of whatever I’m doing and move on to something else. I want to spend 2022 focusing on running and training to run Dopey in 2023 injury free.

ATTQOTD:

My 2021 goals:

ATTQOTD:

Hopefully simple goals for this year.

1) Run a healthy marathon.
2) PR at either mile, 5k, 10k, HM, or M.

I ran a marathon in May 2021, but it wasn't completely healthy. I ditched run+cycle+strength and ran another marathon in Nov 2021 off six run days per week. It was my second fastest and healthy. So I achieved my first goal.

Alas, I did not meet my second goal. For the first time since 2012, I did not PR at any of those distances. Not to worry, I've got a gut feeling there may be a few PRs in 2022 to make up for it.

So onto my 2022 goals.

1) In October 2017, I wrote out 102 Goals that I wanted to achieve. In February 2022 at the Princess Weekend, I will hopefully cross off goal #4:

4. Run a 5k or longer with my daughter, Gigi

2) Run a healthy marathon.
3) 2021 was the first year in which I did not PR a single distance (mile to M). In 2022, my running confidence is near an all time high. So I aim to PR all five distances this year (officially or unofficially): mile, 5k, 10k, HM, and M.

From 2021
ATTQOTD:

My achievable goals:
1.) Actually run a race.
2.) Complete my virtual Fairy Tale Challenge (doing the runs on back-to-back days as intended)
3.) Complete my training plan(s) and not quit 8 or 10 weeks in like I usually do.

My pie-in-the-sky goals:
1.) get my half marathon pace under 11min.
2.) sub 60-min 10k
3.) Full Marathon (this is pie-in-the-sky because of the mental hurdle that double digit mileage is for me, and 20+ miles really freaks me out right now, but I know that LOGICALLY, I can train to be able to do it.)

Checked all three of my "achievable goals" off the list! I've actually worked (mostly) through THREE training plans this year (minus weeks that I missed due to whatever is going on with my foot/ankle back in May and then the PF in December.)

My P.I.T.S. goals....I never really worked on speed this year, NOR did I run a 10k. So 1 and 2 were never addressed since they took a backseat to working my way to #3.

For 2022 I'm still trying to figure out some goals that I will be willing to put the work in for. I want to say "run a sub-30 5k" but I don't know if I'm willing to do the speedwork necessary for it. And for the next few months my focus is going to turn back to weight training (and weight loss, which running has not aided in.)

Realistic goals:
1.) Figure out a way to incorporate consistent running into weight training. SIL and I usually do weight training programs together for accountability, so we will see what we decide on and how running can reasonably fit into that choice. I do not want to lose my running base and have to start over.
2.) Run at least 3 in-person races.
3.) Improve my 5k and half marathon times from last year.

Stretch goals:
1.) Run 100+ miles in a month (which is probably almost 23 hours of running...that's a big time commitment for me)
2.) Get my half marathon time down to 2:30
3.) Get my V02max above 42 (I've been stuck at 39 for ages)

From the 2021 thread:

ATTQOTD: I’m going to keep my running goals for 2021 simple. Overall, I just want to see a return to live races locally and at Disney. More specifically:
  • Complete Blackbeard’s Revenge 100k on the NC outer banks at the end of March
  • Establish a new PoT at the Tobacco Road Marathon, which has been rescheduled from March to mid-May in hopes of conditions permitting the race
  • Register for 2022 Dopey
  • Keep my running volume up and stay healthy

ATTQOTD1:
  • Done. It was a crazy experience with an 1:45 rain delay at the 50 mile mark, but all 100k got done and I had a blast!
  • Done. Just 7 weeks after the 100k, I knocked more than 20 minutes off my official race PR and made it sub-4:00 to meet the newly tightened PoT requirements. 3:57:30 officially.
  • Done. So happy to see a return to in-person Disney races.
  • Done. 2,001.6 running miles for the year is an annual PR (~1360 miles in 2019 and ~1840 miles in 2020).
ATTQOTD2:

I only have a couple of 2022 goals at this point:
  • Complete Blackbeard’s Revenge 100 miler on the NC outer banks at the end of March
  • Keep my running volume up and stay healthy
Interestingly, I seem to thrive on maintaining a higher base mileage. I’ve experienced fewer injuries and niggles since I’ve moved my base up from 25-30 mpw to the 35-40 mpw level. I’m currently on a streak of 23 consecutive months of >125 miles and would like to continue that. After Dopey next week, everything is going to be focused on getting ready for the 100 miler. After that, we’ll see.

QOTD: I've never set running goals before. Running 50-70 miles per month has been my habit for the last 5 years. Running has been a fun, stress-releiving hobby. I've hesitated in setting goals in fear that it would replace the fun with the self-inflicted burden of expectation. I have enough of that in other aspects of my life.

That being said, I do have a 2022 running goal. With RunDisney changing the POT requirements, my latest 10k PR missed the cutoff by 3 seconds. So, my 2022 goal is to get a little faster and earn a POT for W&D 2022. I've never purposefully tried to get faster, but am hopeful I can do it!

QOTD: I didn’t have a concrete goal for 2021, beyond getting into better health. I never thought that it would include running though! I definitely succeeded on getting healthier, going from 215 lbs on January 1 2021 to 178 lbs on January 1 2022, and getting 237 hours of dedicated, deliberate exercise in the year.

My goals for 2022 are: continue gaining health, keep up with my exercise goals, and enjoy all my planned runDisney weekends.

Every year in my 50s (turned 54 7 weeks ago), I have given myself something that was totally metaphysical. in 2020, it was permission to stop running half marathons. Between not sure my typical December half world happen in 2020 (it did which required amazing amount of logistical work) and realizing I hated training long runs, I ran the 10k instead. Between not training for triathlons (since they did not happen), and not training for a half marathon, keeping my mileage goal of 1000 miles running and 3000 plus riding was well a grind. I have actually been riding closer to 3500 miles a year.

I am 54 as I said - one of the most influential books and authors for me is Joel Friel - followed his work and training for years. In faster after 50, it discusses the need for more rest. Friel is big on 3 weeks on, 1 week off (off being less training with less intensity) - in his faster book someone states in his mod 60s he still does the 7 day training block, but it now takes him 10 days to complete. Ding - light bulb moment. So for my 54th birthday, I am going to incorporate more rest days. During COVID, I just started training daily (less miles but some sort of cardio every day).

So for 2022, I am going to reduce my mileage to 850 miles running - and looking at 3000 at the ceiling for biking. Not sure how this looks or feels, but I am looking to be more strategic in my rest days. Also, I want to race more.

I did not do a single race from December 2020 until I did 3 races in July of 2021. The layoff was too long, then too many races in a short timeframe. I enjoy racing, and the challenge. I use to race more, alot more.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: Last year:
Run 2021km for the year (so, like, 1256 miles)

Get a Marathon-qualifying PoT in case Disney races come back in 2022. My last qualifying half marathon time for a marathon PoT is from November 2018.

Sub 5-hr time in the Philadelphia Marathon in November, which I have deferred entry from 2020

Stay injury-free, which will help with all the others
Didn't quite run 2021km, but I did come close! Not upset about missing that one.
I didn't get a marathon-qualifying PoT because they tightened up the requirements to a point I wouldn't be able to reach. I did get a half-marathon PoT in a 10k race though.
I *did* get my sub 5-hr time in the Philadelphia Marathon! And I stayed injury-free.

As for 2022 goals, I'm a little lost. After reaching that marathon goal, I am on a little bit of a downer. Hoping Marathon Weekend will perk me up a little. I'd like to get excited to set some half marathon goals, like a sub 2:10 or even (really stretching) a sub 2-hr. Maybe in the spring I will have had enough time off of training hard, to be ready to start again.
My 2022 goal *should* be to really, finally, get on a good core/strength training routine. We'll see what I can do.

QOTD: New Year = New Goals. What running (and/or personal) goals do you have for 2021?
ATTQOTD: I want to stay healthy and have fun while doing so. That gives me the following sub-goals.
1) Run 2021k in 2021. It is really an engagement to prioritize running.
2) Keep accelerating using a personalized training plan. If BQ is theoretically attainable and in-person racing resumes by October, then go get it!
3) Work on strength and flexibility. That is essential if I want to achieve the other goals and definitively my weakness right now.
4) Eat sensibly. Instead of putting a weight loss, slow eating or sugar reduction goal that I know I will resent, I will try to mostly be consistent and not exaggerate. Food is one of the pleasure of life and appreciating it with moderation is important to me.
I crushed 1) as I ran 2233km in 2021.
For 2), I was able to run a marathon in October but BQ was too much of a far fetched goal to attempt it.
I tried inserting strength training into my routine but my shoulder got injured so 3) is a wash.
4) is a total failure. I became a sugar craving, pantry hoovering bug and cannot gather the energy to really try to stop. Food is a consolation prize these days.
So overall, I performed well with the running but being light spirited is difficult these days. Sorry.

My 2021 goals were great so I will repeat them for 2022, except maybe the BQ, unless coach is convinced otherwise. And I am adding 5). So…

ATTQOTD: I want to stay healthy and have fun while doing so. That gives me the following sub-goals.
1) Run 2022k in 2022. It is really an engagement to prioritize running.
2) Keep accelerating using a personalized training plan. If BQ is theoretically attainable and in-person racing resumes by October, then go get it!
3) Work on strength and flexibility. That is essential if I want to achieve the other goals and definitively my weakness right now.
4) Eat sensibly. Instead of putting a weight loss, slow eating or sugar reduction goal that I know I will resent, I will try to mostly be consistent and not exaggerate. Food is one of the pleasure of life and appreciating it with moderation is important to me.
5) Keep enjoying this positive running community, thanks.

ATTQOTD: I don't remember setting goals for 2021 and I can't find any on the 2021 thread, which is probably a good thing because 2021.

In terms of 2022, I have two goals:
1 - Run or walk 400 miles (Preferably mostly running but I don't want to dismiss the possibility that I won't want to run and would rather walk instead)
2 - (Tentative) If I do the race I signed up for in March (its questionable for personal reasons, outside the scope of this thread), finish in under 3 hours. This race was actually my PR in 2018 (2:27:50), but I'm nowhere near that shape now (nor do I want to be), so while 3 hours would be a PW by a bit, I think it's a good assessment of where I want to be in my life right now.

Goals for 2021
ATTQOTD: I have quite a few goals for 2021!!! My business is FINALLY turning a profit and I officially hired my first employee.

These are my top three running and non-running goals for 2021:
- praise God more
- eat less takeout
- get better at putting my needs before others so I can run 100 miles a month

A 4th bonus goal is to make it through the year without a horse trampling me, crushing my toes or falling on me 🤣

I did really well!
- I am definitely growing spiritually and I have FINALLY found a church that feels like home!!!
- Uh, please don’t look at my year end expenditures with take out and dining out 😳
- This was the hardest goal. It definitely is hard to tell your customers no. We have made huge changes to our business model and scaled back on the amount of horses we board. I opted not to hold clinics and summer camps. It ticked off some people, but my family was suffering. I had a major medical issue going on and my anxiety was through the roof. I did not meet my goal of 100 miles a month in 2021, but that’s okay! I set a new 10K PR and got to experience the Chicago Marathon!
- I made it through 2021 with no horse related injuries 🎉

Goals for 2022
- Strength train on a regular basis
- join a barre or yoga studio

From the 2021 thread

1. Maintain my base fitness. Aside from two local tris, I have no races planned this year, making it all the more important to keep up my daily training so I can be ready for Dopey 2022 training in August.
2. Do another crazy Everesting type challenge with my training group
3. Do more to stay flexible and injury free. My bike fitter scolded me for rocking a little due to tight hip flexors and IT band.

1. Only semi successful at this one. Without any races planned, I did well until April, then slacked off until September when I signed up for an event in November.
2.While not quite as bonkers as Everesting, tackling 175km and 1200m of climbing riding the UAE Coast to Coast challenge was a pretty cool undertaking.
3. Not much of a success, though my new coach did get me to do more stretching

Goals for 2022
1. Add more running to my swimming and cycling
2. Keep up with the stretching
3. Add something to my event calendar on top of the Oceanman swim and Ride London 100
4. Keep my yearly streak of a half under 2 going

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter