The Running Thread--2024

Question: what’s a good plan of attack for returning to running after a short-ish break - let’s say 4 weeks off? I’m not training for anything longer than a 10K and was doing 9-11 miles as my longest runs prior to the break. I’d like to get back t 40-45 min mid-week runs, but feel like it would be smart to start at 30mins for a couple weeks - does that sound good? And do I just leave it at that, or do some other exercise for 10-15 mins in addition to get closer to an hour a day of exercise - maybe some cardio fitness like jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc.?

I’m starting to get the itch to run again. My knees aren‘t really improved with the time off: some days one hurts, some days the other, some days both, and some days neither. I’ve tried to find a pattern but can’t connect it to anything other than maybe hormonal shifts, but I struggle to know when those are in effect, so it’s still pretty mysterious. I don’t think running or not running makes any difference. But my over all state of being could really use the boost from some running back in the mix!
I'm just coming back from 3 weeks off post marathon. My plan is easy 3 milers this week, 4 next week, 5 the following and then transition into a more varied schedule with workouts and long runs.

From memory, the guidance is equal time returning to time off. Starting at 50% volume and working your way back up. Although typing this out has made me realize there's likely a time window on how much time off you can take and have these rules still apply. I think 4 weeks is still in bounds though.

Question: what’s a good plan of attack for returning to running after a short-ish break - let’s say 4 weeks off? I’m not training for anything longer than a 10K and was doing 9-11 miles as my longest runs prior to the break. I’d like to get back t 40-45 min mid-week runs, but feel like it would be smart to start at 30mins for a couple weeks - does that sound good? And do I just leave it at that, or do some other exercise for 10-15 mins in addition to get closer to an hour a day of exercise - maybe some cardio fitness like jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc.?

I’m starting to get the itch to run again. My knees aren‘t really improved with the time off: some days one hurts, some days the other, some days both, and some days neither. I’ve tried to find a pattern but can’t connect it to anything other than maybe hormonal shifts, but I struggle to know when those are in effect, so it’s still pretty mysterious. I don’t think running or not running makes any difference. But my over all state of being could really use the boost from some running back in the mix!
I'm not an expert, but I did just read the chapter in Hansons' Marathon Method about schedule modifications.

The book suggests easing back into running after time away: for those who missed a week, it prescribes 100% easy runs for as much time as was lost, before adding back in any longer runs or workouts. So if you didn't run for 4 weeks, you would do just easy running for four weeks, perhaps at an even easier pace than usual. (In the context of a marathon plan, it actually recommends just dropping out at that point, but you've got plenty of time to ease back into things!) It notes that after a 3-week absence runners lose something like 10% of their conditioning, so it's important to slow down and give your body time to win back some of the gains that were lost.

If I were in that position, I wouldn't worry too much about 30 minutes vs 45 minutes, as much as about pace and total mileage. At 4 weeks, you might have lost 10%-15% of your conditioning, but you also aren't starting from zero. I might start around 50%-60% of my previous weekly mileage and work my way back up over the next four weeks. The main thing is just to keep it slow and easy.

Running: the only time where giving into withdrawal symptoms is actually good for you!

Wonder if they sanctioned the track club and/or coach. And interesting in this day and age that this information is not as widely published as the "Free Ethan--it was just one little oversight" narrative that you can find with a cursory search.

I think they should lose their USATF membership. That was coordinated cheating, not a one time mistake.

It is like the newspaper back in the day putting the wrong headline on the front page and then publishing the retraction in 8 pt font on page 5 beneath the fold.

I can’t seem to quote, but thank @GollyGadget and @Cabius! So don’t dive right into speed work, right?! I can manage that! I’m just starting to feel desperate for some time outdoors in nature again - I’m happy to go slow and enjoy it.

I’ve been replacing running with ballet 3-4 days a week, so I don’t think I‘ve lost any fitness, just less wear and tear on joints. I’ve been loving have so much ballet back in my life, I’m trying to find a way to add some running and keep some ballet… which is a challenge: there just aren’t enough hours in a day. But if I drop my short runs to 30 mins, I could layer ST on those days and make the other days ballet instead of yoga or Pilates + ST, which is what I’ve been doing - that could work!

I’ve been replacing running with ballet 3-4 days a week, so I don’t think I‘ve lost any fitness, just less wear and tear on joints. I’ve been loving have so much ballet back in my life, I’m trying to find a way to add some running and keep some ballet… which is a challenge: there just aren’t enough hours in a day. But if I drop my short runs to 30 mins, I could layer ST on those days and make the other days ballet instead of yoga or Pilates + ST, which is what I’ve been doing - that could work!
I've been really wanting to get back into ballet. I've looked a few times into adult classes, but between work and always training for one race or another, I don't really have the time. It was such a big part of my life until my early 20s, I really miss it.

I can’t seem to quote, but thank @GollyGadget and @Cabius! So don’t dive right into speed work, right?! I can manage that! I’m just starting to feel desperate for some time outdoors in nature again - I’m happy to go slow and enjoy it.

Is barre close to ballet? It’s amazing how humbled I was when I started barre. Those smaller muscles were weak and I was shaking like crazy, which barre says is a good thing.

I've been really wanting to get back into ballet. I've looked a few times into adult classes, but between work and always training for one race or another, I don't really have the time. It was such a big part of my life until my early 20s, I really miss it.
It’s SO hard to make formal classes work in adult life! I’ve looked, too, because while I’m more than capable of giving myself class at home, I also miss the sprung floors and mirrors of a studio, not to mention the space to move - I can do some compact adagios and little jumps in my condo, but forget traveling turns or any grand jetes.
Is barre close to ballet? It’s amazing how humbled I was when I started barre. Those smaller muscles were weak and I was shaking like crazy, which barre says is a good thing.
I’ve never tried barre classes so I can’t say for sure, but I imagine it aims to work the body in similar ways as ballet, minus needing to learn all of the vocabulary of ballet (which is entirely in French) and with modifications to make It work better for people who haven’t had ballet training. I have no doubt it’s a great workout!

For anyone unfamiliar and curious, ballet classes are divided into two segments: 1. barre, which involves working through a series of movements, generally beginning with slow, deep bends and stretches to warm up, and progressing through movements that involve more speed, extension, strength. And 2. Centre, in which we move into the center of the space, not holding onto anything, and build on the basic techniques and movements of barre work to dance combinations of slow, faster, and very fast choreography. The entire learning experience is training the body to execute movements as close to perfection as possible, and also training the mind to quickly memorize series of steps on the spot, then immediately execute them - so the difficulty increases over the years of training, building from the basics to intricate variations. Oh, and it’s all very challenging and demanding and athletic… but the main goal is to make it all look effortless. You know, for a little added challenge! I could talk ballet all day but don’t worry, I won't lol!

Not really lol although when I've done barre, I found it very challenging too. I found barre to just use a few of the many movements found in ballet. It also takes away all the flow and beauty of ballet, which I wasn't a big fan of. I actually had a really hard time with how many exercises were done "turned in", when ballet has you "turned out" (external rotation at the hips) for so much of it.

I just watched the documentary Peloton did on one of its instructors (Susie Chan) running Badwater 135, and it really reinforced that I want to try running an ultra marathon.
I would highly recommend it. It's only 30 minutes, so not a huge time commitment:

I just watched the documentary Peloton did on one of its instructors (Susie Chan) running Badwater 135, and it really reinforced that I want to try running an ultra marathon.
I would highly recommend it. It's only 30 minutes, so not a huge time commitment:
I don’t know about anyone else, but my ultras have taken much longer than 30 minutes :rotfl2:

On a serious note, ultras are a lot of fun. The races are smaller, the courses are generally quite interesting, and the community is very friendly and supportive. Plus, the aid stations are more like buffet tables. You’ll never go hungry during one.

If you want more ultra videos, I subscribe to a Jeff Pelletier's YouTube channel and his videos are excellent. Plus he has a very gentle voice so it's almost like ASMR. :D He just put one out on running the Bob Graham Round over the summer. I still have no desire to run an ultra, but I definitely see the appeal!

This is my favorite video, when he did UTMB.

Not really lol although when I've done barre, I found it very challenging too. I found barre to just use a few of the many movements found in ballet. It also takes away all the flow and beauty of ballet, which I wasn't a big fan of. I actually had a really hard time with how many exercises were done "turned in", when ballet has you "turned out" (external rotation at the hips) for so much of it.
How interesting! I follow Move with Nicole on YouTube for her awesome Pilates videos and she sometimes throws in a “Dancer-inspired” workout that I figured was similar to barre, but she’s clearly a current or former dancer herself and does a lot of those workouts turned out. That made me assume much of barre was, too, and I always wondered how difficult that must be for folks who’ve never had to maintain a turnout for long periods of time. I mean, I’ve been a ballerina 45 years and I struggle lol!
@PrincessV your post made me want to go back to classes even more
I feel like I should apologize - I know the pain! If you have the time at home, I’m a big fan of Dutch National Ballet’s YouTube home classes. You’ll have to scroll through because they were mostly posted when everything was in lockdown, but Ernst‘s barre and center classes are pretty easy to manage in a small space.
If you want more ultra videos, I subscribe to a Jeff Pelletier's YouTube channel and his videos are excellent. Plus he has a very gentle voice so it's almost like ASMR. :D He just put one out on running the Bob Graham Round over the summer. I still have no desire to run an ultra, but I definitely see the appeal!

This is my favorite video, when he did UTMB.

Also a huge fan of his videos! He’s a very talented videographer, in addition to being an incredible ultra runner.

Oh wow is it that time already?
January Running:

Total Distance: 100.5 mi (haha just squeaked in above 100!)
Average pace: 11:00/mi

January includes the DL Half and the taper down to/up from that. It was really fun and the first time I've run a runDisney race with friends which was great. They are very fast though so I made them ditch me after the first few miles, because even their idea of slowing down for me was too fast for me to have an enjoyable race. But still a great experience and I think they liked it enough to try Marathon Weekend. IMO if DL Half was your first runDisney event and you thought it was magical, a WDW event will knock your socks off.

I'm running Princess in February, but it suddenly looks like I may be traveling solo. I may actually try to race this race in that case? I won't be running from park to park in the days before, if I'm by myself, so it may be feasible. I'd love to get a new PoT for later years in case any of my active ones run out.

Here we go again…

January Miles = 116

Two weeks in FL, a shortened Dopey (I didn’t “make up” the additional 6 miles), marathon recovery, crappy Northeast January weather (3 dreadmill runs this month ugh!!), and no upcoming races to train for made this month challenging…but I still managed to break 100 miles.

2024 Total = 116

This is on my to-watch list this weekend during a run. I love that I can watch it on my Peloton Tread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter