• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread--2024

I could use some reminders that missing a handful of scheduled runs isn’t going to derail an entire 18 weeks of training! I am in my last week of training for the LA marathon before I start tapering and I have missed or significantly shortened every single scheduled run since Saturday because of a bad cold. I thought I was better today and had a speed workout planned but just didn’t have it in me to do it. I still have one more 20 miler planned for Sunday and expect to be better enough to at least finish it. This will be my 6th marathon and the nerves still get to me every time!
Not only will a few missed runs not derail your entire training cycle, with the race so close you need to focus on rest and recovery. I would even consider shortening that 20 miler so you don't push too much while your body is still recovering from illness.

How does one get hurt just by walking? I was walking at work, and from nowhere, felt a really sharp pain on my knee. It stupidly has not gone away. I tried to take it easy the rest of the day, but still got over 13k steps. Guess I'll be skipping my run today, and hopefully doing it tomorrow instead. I'll be really mad if its still hurting tomorrow.
Getting hurt from running is one thing. But getting hurt from just walking? How did I manage that?

How does one get hurt just by walking? I was walking at work, and from nowhere, felt a really sharp pain on my knee. It stupidly has not gone away. I tried to take it easy the rest of the day, but still got over 13k steps. Guess I'll be skipping my run today, and hopefully doing it tomorrow instead. I'll be really mad if its still hurting tomorrow.
Getting hurt from running is one thing. But getting hurt from just walking? How did I manage that?
If it makes you feel better, I once tweaked my back sitting in a chair. I don't know what I did but I was fine one minute and the next was agony. I had to take almost 2 weeks off of all exercise. Hopefully you'll be back up and running tomorrow!

I could use some reminders that missing a handful of scheduled runs isn’t going to derail an entire 18 weeks of training! I am in my last week of training for the LA marathon before I start tapering and I have missed or significantly shortened every single scheduled run since Saturday because of a bad cold. I thought I was better today and had a speed workout planned but just didn’t have it in me to do it. I still have one more 20 miler planned for Sunday and expect to be better enough to at least finish it. This will be my 6th marathon and the nerves still get to me every time!
I missed almost 3 weeks of training before my 70.3 last weekend, and feared the worst as I watched my fitness score on Training Peaks drop 12 points. Managed a sub-5:30 finish, so maybe the extra rest will help you too. :)

Not only will a few missed runs not derail your entire training cycle, with the race so close you need to focus on rest and recovery. I would even consider shortening that 20 miler so you don't push too much while your body is still recovering from illness.

I missed almost 3 weeks of training before my 70.3 last weekend, and feared the worst as I watched my fitness score on Training Peaks drop 12 points. Managed a sub-5:30 finish, so maybe the extra rest will help you too. :)
Thanks, this is good advice. I’ve done two previous peak weeks with 20 milers (with a step down week in between), so I am considering just giving myself 3 weeks of taper instead. I’ll see if I can convince myself Sunday 😛.

And wow, FFigawi, that’s an impressive time!

Did you compare the course to the USATF certification to confirm (2023 certification), or were their other outside sources that showed you didn't actually run the course as described on their website (like statement from the race director or newspaper articles)? Otherwise, I'd need to see more than just GPS watches measuring long. That's incredibly common, and not a race problem.

That's not to say courses can't be wrong. I've personally run two different races where the certified course/advertised course was not actually what I ran on race day for the "official" course and they were known to be actually wrong post-race. One was a wrongly placed cone that cutoff part of the course, and the other was hooligans moving cones that changed the course.
I neglected to mention an important aspect in that the race organizers informed us prior to the race that the start line would be moved for safety reasons. It was supposed to be only 650 feet, but I'm guessing that someone miscalculated. Truth be told, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

In addition to working on getting faster, I discovered another thing to work on in my next training block...taking better non-runDisney pictures. There isn't a single decent picture during the race. Each picture looks like I was either in serious pain (which I actually wasn't for the first time during a half marathon) or that I needed a toilet. My only solace is that it's the product of straining for every second at the end of the race to get my POT. I would love to be able to run a hard half marathon (or even a marathon) and look relaxed while pushing hard at the end of a race.

Last edited:
Well it looks like the universe is conspiring against me. My knee felt better, so I was planning on running after putting my kids to bed. But nope. We had a main waterline burst at my job site like 15 minutes after I left for the day. Ended up having to turn around to deal with the fire department that was dispatched and everything that comes with a bunch of water at a building we’re about to handover.

I’m running tomorrow, regardless of what the universe throws at me.

I neglected to mention an important aspect in that the race organizers informed us prior to the race that the start line would be moved for safety reasons. It was supposed to be only 650 feet, but I'm guessing that someone miscalculated. Truth be told, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

In addition to working on getting faster, I discovered another thing to work on in my next training block...taking better non-runDisney pictures. There isn't a single decent picture during the race. Each picture looks like I was either in serious pain (which I actually wasn't for the first time during a half marathon) or that I needed a toilet. My only solace is that it's the product of straining for every second at the end of the race to get my POT. I would love to be able to run a hard half marathon (or even a marathon) and look relaxed while pushing hard at the end of a race.
I feel completely validated by this email that I received.

Attachments

• IMG_1030.png
    IMG_1030.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 73
So I think you ask a legit question and until I tried the Brooks bra with the pocket, I would have thought the same thing. But it's pretty comfortable for me and I forget the phone is even there. It stays in place, does not move or cause chafing. The only negative is that the bra is a pull over and not open back. But if I am running with a pair of shorts that has no zipper and I am not in the mood to use a flip belt, I will wear this bra. It's pretty nifty. There was a Dick's Outlet close to me that was closing in December and I picked up several of these brooks bras for $13. 🥳
Just to follow up on this, I found a Brooks pocket sports bra on sale for $18 and tested it out. It was barely noticeable and no discomfort or chafing after a 3.5 hour run. So yay! I’ll definitely be on the hunt for more on sale if I can catch them.

That looks amazing! Are there any hotels that stood out for you on the Strip during your race? Which was your favorite?
It’s funny, it had been about 10 years since I last visited, and in that time they’ve built some other stuff, but also in that time I’ve visited some of the locations that a couple of the hotels are inspired by. So I already liked the goofy gondola ride but it was neat to come back, I was seeing the Venetian with new eyes because I was finally able to visit Venice in 2017. Recognized some of the Caesars replicas from seeing them in person in Paris and Rome. It’s kinda campy but fun.

Anyway, super fun race, flew by, very flat. There was barely any time where there was nothing going on and that was near the start. @The Expert they have not figured out how to do corrals properly! Apparently this was a new start location (at NY), maybe in the hopes of doing this better but it was just a huge mob. I don’t know if I have an answer as to how it can be done better, it’s a tough location with a ton of people crammed into one space. In the end I was able to get through and the rest of the event was a blast.

Circuit Endurance - Défi hivernal Vaudreuil-Dorion 10k race report

After three months of maintenance, I started speed training two weeks ago for the Spring race season. My goal is to accelerate my 10k and I registered to this race (February 25th) and the next (April 7th) to see my progression. The times to beat are my official 2018 PR 54:51 and my unofficial 2020 PR 49:58.

Not knowing where I was in terms of fitness, we settled on the midway point objective at 52:30 with a constant progression, aiming for the following 2km splits:
5:35 min/km
5:25 min/km - about M pace
5:15 min/km - about HM pace
5:05 min/km - about T pace
4:55 min/km - or all out.

The Défi hivernal (38th edition) was held in Vaudreuil-Dorion for the first time (so 1st edition but with an experienced race organization). It is part of Circuit Endurance which means a 90 minutes cutoff and a fast crowd of runners. The weather was favourable, sunny -9°C (16°F).

I drove for half an hour to the start location, a high school and picked up my bib in no time. I had a shock when I realized that I was now in the F50-59 category (age on December 31st of the year). I did a nice warmup, an indoor pit stop and walked to the start line. A fellow F50-59 asked me what I was aiming for so that she could maybe have a pace buddy but I was starting too slow even though her overall objective was just slightly faster.

Anyway, that and the best intentions did not stop me from going out too fast. I try to slow down from 4:xx min/km and make it to about 5:20 at which point I know my legs don’t want to calm down and I decide to hold that pace for six to eight km. The headwind on the second half is tiring. I try to accelerate a bit in the last two km, and I do, but not much. I push for a last kick at the very end.

With my finisher medal around the neck and while eating the banana from the snack bag, I lookup my results. My official time is 53:03 and I am third place in my age group! I wait for my bronze medal and head home, happy to have given my best and to have a measure of what that best is.
IMG_5154.jpeg
Later in the day, I recount my race to DH and he asks how many people in my age group, overall placement, etc. I look up the details and learn two things: My 53:03 would have also placed me third in the F40-49 and… my chip time is 52:59. My new shinny official PR is under 53 minutes!

After three months of maintenance, I started speed training two weeks ago for the Spring race season. My goal is to accelerate my 10k and I registered to this race (February 25th) and the next (April 7th) to see my progression. The times to beat are my official 2018 PR 54:51 and my unofficial 2020 PR 49:58.

Not knowing where I was in terms of fitness, we settled on the midway point objective at 52:30 with a constant progression, aiming for the following 2km splits:

The Défi hivernal (38th edition) was held in Vaudreuil-Dorion for the first time (so 1st edition but with an experienced race organization). It is part of Circuit Endurance which means a 90 minutes cutoff and a fast crowd of runners. The weather was favourable, sunny -9°C (16°F).

I drove for half an hour to the start location, a high school and picked up my bib in no time. I had a shock when I realized that I was now in the F50-59 category (age on December 31st of the year). I did a nice warmup, an indoor pit stop and walked to the start line. A fellow F50-59 asked me what I was aiming for so that she could maybe have a pace buddy but I was starting too slow even though her overall objective was just slightly faster.

Anyway, that and the best intentions did not stop me from going out too fast. I try to slow down from 4:xx min/km and make it to about 5:20 at which point I know my legs don’t want to calm down and I decide to hold that pace for six to eight km. The headwind on the second half is tiring. I try to accelerate a bit in the last two km, and I do, but not much. I push for a last kick at the very end.

With my finisher medal around the neck and while eating the banana from the snack bag, I lookup my results. My official time is 53:03 and I am third place in my age group! I wait for my bronze medal and head home, happy to have given my best and to have a measure of what that best is.
View attachment 837067
Later in the day, I recount my race to DH and he asks how many people in my age group, overall placement, etc. I look up the details and learn two things: My 53:03 would have also placed me third in the F40-49 and… my chip time is 52:59. My new shinny official PR is under 53 minutes!
Great job!!

View attachment 837067

:car:

View attachment 837067
Congrats!!

View attachment 837067
That’s really great! Congratulations on your shiny new PB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter