The Running Thread--2024

Cat mama here too. She is indoors only, and she will "help" me foam roll. My parents' cat also likes to "help" foam roll. They see me get on the floor, and park themselves about six inches from the foam roller.
Yep, familiar with this type of “assistance,” too. :rotfl: See also: “helping” me practice yoga by flopping down exactly where my face is about to go during sun salutations. :rolleyes:

I have a tiny little guy (8 pounds), so his little legs are not great for running with me. But he can walk a long distance. Neighbors are always surprised when they see me with him 1.5 or 2 miles from our house.

There is someone in my town who I see regularly during my runs who has his dog with him. I don't know if I'd like it or not. It might be too much of a distraction, but it could be a good way to take my mind off my run.

Emmett2.jpg

Since we are all sharing…here’s our best-girl-ever Callisto, the failed scent-detection dog. She would rather cuddle than sniff for things. (And she’s getting a new dog-brother next month but shhhhh our kids don’t know.). She’s 9, but doesn’t look it. Coming out of her down-time from losing both of her playmates in January.
0ED36661-B572-478E-B260-EF1467172182.jpeg

Very cute doggos, everyone! I am more of cat person. I can’t imagine any of my kitties would enjoy me trying to take them for a run 😆
I've seen lots of people running with dogs on the trails. While trail running, I've encountered two different people walking their cats - on a leash, like it's nothing unusual. :) They were also pretty far from a trailhead, but most cats are easier to carry if needed.

More recently, I was doing hill repeats in my neighborhood and ran up the sidewalk by a grandmother walking a dog and her granddaughter walking what I thought was a small black dog. Until I got past and realized it was a black cat on a leash doing a huge "NOPE!" by sprawling and hugging the ground for all it was worth. The granddaughter tried a bit of "drag", but had to pick up the cat and carry it. Meanwhile, I was laughing like crazy - not expecting to see a cat out for a drag. :)

This is Buddy. The only run I ever took him on turned out to be a fartlek, and he nearly killed me. He only had 2 speeds--stop and go.

He is currently well into his 18th year, and these days can barely walk, but he can still move fast enough to steal food if you leave it within his reach. Those are his paws in my avatar. The "random hidden Mickey grease spot" is long gone, but Buddy lives on....and on!

Buddy.jpg

I've seen lots of people running with dogs on the trails. While trail running, I've encountered two different people walking their cats - on a leash, like it's nothing unusual. :) They were also pretty far from a trailhead, but most cats are easier to carry if needed.

More recently, I was doing hill repeats in my neighborhood and ran up the sidewalk by a grandmother walking a dog and her granddaughter walking what I thought was a small black dog. Until I got past and realized it was a black cat on a leash doing a huge "NOPE!" by sprawling and hugging the ground for all it was worth. The granddaughter tried a bit of "drag", but had to pick up the cat and carry it. Meanwhile, I was laughing like crazy - not expecting to see a cat out for a drag. :)
I have a cat that would probably enjoy running with me, except that she hates being on a leash and can collapse her shoulders to slip out of any harness in the blink of an eye. I have another cat who would be disgusted at the mere thought of running.
IMG_6383.jpegIMG_5286.jpeg

I interrupt this pet parade to inform you that Liquid IV is on sale $6 off at Costco this week.
FINALLY!

it must have just started because I was there on Saturday and it was not on sale. Also, I don't love the flavor choices my store carries now. No more lemon lime?! We're stuck with the split pack of strawberry and golden cherry (SO GROSS), the caffeinated pineapple one, and some new sugar free "mocktail" nonsense? Oh the humanity! :upsidedow

Ran the run slc 10k Saturday. Went as expected. Some knee pain for about two miles, but nothing unusual. The weather, though, 50 degrees, 30mph winds with gust into the 50s, thankfully(sarc) the out and back started with the wind at our backs and in a head wind the way back. I put my sunglasses on and I’m glad I brought them, not for protection from the sun but for protection from debris.

Usually high-warm winds portent heavy snowfall, and it did not disappoint. While at work it snowed 6+ inches after the temp dropped early afternoon. Traffic was a nightmare, but I did not have to drive up or down the pass at that point.

My medal, alas, has a magnet in backwards, and won’t bind to the medal from the 5k.
I took our cat for a walk once and she was not amused. Not a fan of the leash.

Attachments

• A0E5DEAF-65EE-4AB3-96B2-1BD87BA3350B.jpeg
    A0E5DEAF-65EE-4AB3-96B2-1BD87BA3350B.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4914.jpeg
    IMG_4914.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4915.jpeg
    IMG_4915.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4957.jpeg
    IMG_4957.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4958.jpeg
    IMG_4958.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 13
Ran the run slc 10k Saturday. Went as expected. Some knee pain for about two miles, but nothing unusual. The weather, though, 50 degrees, 30mph winds with gust into the 50s, thankfully(sarc) the out and back started with the wind at our backs and in a head wind the way back. I put my sunglasses on and I’m glad I brought them, not for protection from the sun but for protection from debris.

Usually high-warm winds portent heavy snowfall, and it did not disappoint. While at work it snowed 6+ inches after the temp dropped early afternoon. Traffic was a nightmare, but I did not have to drive up or down the pass at that point.

My medal, alas, has a magnet in backwards, and won’t bind to the medal from the 5k.

I took our cat for a walk once and she was not amused. Not a fan of the leash.

Nice job getting out there! I have done this 5K several times, and I swear the weather is always some kind of crazy. Jealous to see you got thunder snow AFTER the race was over -- my favorite weather!

Nice job getting out there! I have done this 5K several times, and I swear the weather is always some kind of crazy. Jealous to see you got thunder snow AFTER the race was over -- my favorite weather!
Don’t be jealous I was in the kitchen at work, so I had no idea it happened. I have only experienced thundersnow once, and it was dark so it was sooooo amazing.

Next race is the RUN SLC 15k in April. Then later that month I’m doing a bunch of volunteering for the SLC Marathon. I may sign up to volunteer for the Triple Trail Challenge, as I would really like to do the Steeplechase again, but it would distract from the BCC half training.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter