• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Skyliner celebrates its millionth rider

BabybetterDisney

DIS Veteran
It’s been a month since its opening, and now a million people have been on the Skyliner. I don’t know how Disney can know this for sure, being that I don’t notice any turn styles at the entrances. But Disney believes it and I do too.

I having been keeping track of the Skyliner from mostly an observer’s point of view. As a mathematician, I am interested in the logistics of the thing, even though the Skyliner doesn’t actually affect me; I am not planning on riding it except for after 6 p.m., when I am not in a hurry to go anywhere. (For example, I won’t be riding it to get to an evening ADR, but it should be OK to ride it back.) I will also be bring an adult diaper with me (I‘m old and decrepit and have to go every hour).

We missed the Skyliner by a week during my last trip. People’s reviews, for the most part, say that the Skyliner isn’t as hot as most feared. That makes sense to me, being that it is in October already. During my last trip in September, I once stood waiting 20 minutes for the ferry around noon at MK. It was a normal hot day, but not extremely so. We stood in the shade, there was a slight breeze and it was all very pleasant. We could have stood there for hours and wouldn’t have broken a sweat.

However, just a few days before that, also around noon, we were eating lunch outside Boardwalk. (That hotel is nearly perfect except for the lack of a food court, even a small one.) We were sitting in the shade and drinking ice water from Boardwalk Bakery. There was no breeze. Twenty minutes later, I rushed the family back into the hotel so that we could breathe -- it was so hot! If we had been stuck inside the gondola then it would have been very bad. The difference of a few degrees really matters when the temperature is past 90. And the irritation of being stuck for an unknown amount of time will make me much hotter. If I get stuck on the Skyliner, I got nobody to blame but myself. I know how hot WDW gets in the summer, and I know how often Disney rides get stuck. If I get on the Skyliner or the Monorail, it’s on me if my family get stuck for 3 hours. (The Monorail got stuck for 3 hours the day I left WDW. People had to be dug out through the roof.)

If Disney can guarantee that the gondola is never stopped or slowed down, then it wouldn’t have been a problem. But I know that Disney can’t do that; Disney rides are frequently slowed or stopped. Originally, Disney had published that the time for traveling from Pop to Epcot to be 20 minutes, even though they knew full well that it is actually less than 10. So they have known this whole time the gondola would be frequently slowing and stopping. Various posters have indicated how their trips are delayed during normal operating hours. One couple took 45 minutes to get from DHS to Epcot. Another family had to be bused from CBR back to Pop because that section of the gondola was down, but Disney never mentioned it at Epcot. They just let the Pop/AofA people go on to CBR and then make them catch a bus there. And when the gondola was down at Epcot, people are made to walk to Boardwalk to take the bus. (I don’t imagine the Boardwalk people liking this too much.)

The wait time at Epcot after fireworks is reported at 17 minutes. That’s a huge line and a long walk just along the line, considering how fast the line was moving, and not a big improvement from waiting for the bus. (People used to say that there will be no wait because the gondolas come continuously. It’s like Spaceship Earth; just because it comes continuously doesn’t mean there won’t be a 30 minute wait, as it often does.) I think this information alone will make Riviera less attractive. I would prefer Boardwalk or Beach Club. In 17 minutes you’d have been in your hotel room for 7 minutes already. In 17 minutes I’d have taxied back to Pop.

I don’t understand who’s staying at Rivera. That place looks like a moderate but charges like GF. For $600 a night, why don’t I just stay at GF? Or BC or BW, for less, and be closer to Epcot/DHS? They all have DVC options.

People have claimed that the gondola is much cheaper to run than the buses. That’s only possible when both are stuffed full. Otherwise, there is no way the gondola is cheaper. Most the time, based on Youtube videos, the gondola looks about 20% full. The buses can run with less frequency and manpower but the gondola can’t. Without doing the actual math, I would say that the gondola has to be several times more expensive than the buses, and being that the buses are running simultaneously, the Skyliner has to be bleeding money from Disney right now, a million riders notwithstanding. Why doesn’t Disney post how many people have been riding the related buses during that time? I bet more people ride buses than gondolas, especially since after the accident.

Disney has been disingenuous with the Skyliner. They never published a schedule of its operations. There is no announcement when part of it is down so that people have the choice of not getting on it. There is no widespread knowledge of what happens when the line is down at Epcot -- that people have to walk all the way to Boardwalk for buses diverted from other hotels. During park closings, that is going to be bad for everybody. And to get to Boardwalk bus stop, you have to walk up a flight of stairs. Boardwalk does have an elevator for hauling people to the main level, but only one, and it‘s small. It’s not designed to hold a lot of traffic, and it‘s tucked in a corner.

Most importantly, Disney has called the latest accident “unexpected down time.” That is both irritating and pointless: the photos of the accident were all over the internet. Whitewashing it will only make Disney look irresponsible and untrustworthy. Disney is like a guy whose car breaks down but tells everybody, “ Uh, everything is under control. Situation normal. Had a slight malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you.” I suppose Disney does this to protect their stock prices, but with the internet and everybody knowing everything instantly nowadays, that does nothing but harm.

Some people say, if not many people go on the Skyliner, more room for me! But that’s not true at all. If Disney continues to bleed money, they will scrap the project, and then there will be no room for nobody. There used to be a railroad at Fort Wilderness, I understand. That’s gone. I wish it was still there; I would love to be on it. You might wonder, why would Disney build anything big such as a railroad or the Skyliner without knowing if it’s worth it? You would think, for example, that they can see how many people live at Fort Wilderness to calculate how many will use the railroad. Disney knows how many live at the 3 gondola hotels and might use the gondola. Disney also knows how frequently their rides break down. The math shouldn’t be hard. However, one can always manipulate statistics. And that’s what they did with SWGE.

The truth is, Disney just spent 2 billion dollars building 2 Star Wars Lands that no Star Wars fan has ever seen or heard of, and the fans have not showed up at all. The regular Disney fans are coming, but that’s it. There is no increase in attendance. The Force is not with Disney on SWGE. But then, that’s not really a surprise: the CMs are not allowed to say “May the Force be with You” in Star Wars Land. Has Disney bothered to ask anybody the basic question “Should we build Mosley Eisley or just something we make up? Will SW fans worship anything we throw at them?” Sometimes even Disney get into the “optimistic big business groupthink mode”, and they fail like every other business with a bad idea.

The Skyliner is compared to the Monorail often. They are both high up, but the obvious difference is, the Monorail is sitting on a concrete road bridge, like all other roads bridges that people drive over constantly, whereas the gondola is dangling from a wire. It is theoretically perfectly safe, but it looks creepy. Worried old ladies like me tend to want to avoid it.

I hope the Skyliner succeeds because it’s interesting. I want to ride it some time, and it looks neat zipping along in the air. I am slightly worried that Disney might scrap it if it turns out to be too expensive to run. I do, however, hope that Disney scraps SWGE. That place has no redeeming feature whatsoever; it provides me, a SW fan, with nothing but irritation. I have been going to WDW for 10 years. I have donated my share of family savings to the Disney cause. I can’t believe they used my money to build THAT!

It really depends on how frequently the Skyliner gets stuck for 3 hours. If Disney can keep it less than once a year, it should be fine. If it happens every 3 months…not so fine. I am hoping that the Skyliner will at least still be running when I get to WDW next year. However, by Christmas Disney will know if the Skyliner is worth being kept running, and if it isn’t, they’d be smart to cut their losses right then, or at the least, only run it during busy seasons and not run it when I go during the slow season. Or only during park openings and closings. So I’m hoping Disney isn’t that smart. I want to get on it at least once. I also want to count how many people go on it during different times of the day compared to how many go on buses. My family is less interested in all this information or the Skyliner, but that’s their problem.

If you listen to the Disney Dish podcast, the down ti for the accident was around 2 hours. So people were stuck at various points for that time. Imagine if that had happened in summer heat. There is not much emergency water on board. Could be a real disaster.

Babybetterdisney,

Okay we get it you don't like the skyliner.

First off a few facts.

1. The Skyliner can handle 5500 people per hour. I will let you do the math about how many buses that would take along with drivers (who have to have CDL's) as per how many people it takes to man the stations (who don't require special licenses)

2. In regards to the heat and no breeze at the Boardwalk. The buildings are arrange in a semi circle. Unless the breeze is coming out of the NE, then the building are blocking the breeze.

3. The Skyliner is only one month old. I remember when Test Track first opened it was closing fairly regularly due to operational issues. They got them worked.

4. In regards to Disney fudging the expect transit time. It is common knowledge that Disney does this for the waiting times for various attractions. I realized this when I started going when WDW first opened.

5. Gondola systems are being used to move people at various cities around the world. Some are considering expanding their systems. If they are so unreliable why are they considering expanding their routes. Other cities are looking into building their own systems.

In short judging a new "thing" after just one month is a little premature in my opinion.

Wow! So soon! Gives an idea of the massive volume of people that go to Disney each day.

Maybe I was the millionth to ride

My wife and I rode it last Wednesday weather was around 80-82 degrees we went on it around 12-1pm from Hs to Epcot

you can feel the breeze come thought the open vents and it was pleasant
It did stop for maybe 20seconds toward the end of the tri

I had no hesitation on wanting to give it a go even after the mishap earlier in the month and will ride again next visits

but I do understand if some people don’t like the idea of being up there with the possibility of dangling for a large amount of time in the middle of a hot day

one other thing I did notice is how little that emergency kit is I doubt there is more then a couple bottles of water in them Just a guess

someone probably has reported what is actually in them but I haven’t seen it anywhere

Last edited:
If Disney can guarantee that the gondola is never stopped or slowed down, then it wouldn’t have been a problem. But I know that Disney can’t do that; Disney rides are frequently slowed or stopped.
the Skyliner isn't a Disney ride. It's not a ride at all. It's transportation (okay, fun transportation). It wasn't Imagineered or created or designed or built by Disney.
Another family had to be bused from CBR back to Pop because that section of the gondola was down, but Disney never mentioned it at Epcot. They just let the Pop/AofA people go on to CBR and then make them catch a bus there.
Preferable, imo, to forcing them all to go all the way back to, into, and through Epcot, no?
And when the gondola was down at Epcot, people are made to walk to Boardwalk to take the bus. (I don’t imagine the Boardwalk people liking this too much.)
Epcot-area resort people don't like the gondola, period. It interferes with their exclusive access to the IG.
don’t understand who’s staying at Rivera.
Nobody. It opens in December.
People have claimed that the gondola is much cheaper to run than the buses. That’s only possible when both are stuffed full
I think you're confusing cost with value.
The buses can run with less frequency and manpower but the gondola can’t.
The gondola can run with less frequency. Slow it down, remove some cars...It's common when one form of public transportation is down, for agencies to provide temporary alternatives.
If Disney continues to bleed money,
T
Wait, what? When did Disney start bleeding money? How?
It really depends on how frequently the Skyliner gets stuck for 3 hours
If this first month is any indication, possibly 1% of the anticipated operating hours.

Epcot-area resort people don't like the gondola, period. It interferes with their exclusive access to the IG.
Huh? There's no "exclusive access" to IG for Epcot area resort people. Disney has never claimed to be that either. If someone who stays there has that perception, then they are flat out wrong.

I'm a "Epcot area resort person" and don't dislike the Gondola. I have no opinion on it as I never plan to ride it because, as an Epcot area resort guest, won't have a need to

Huh? There's no "exclusive access" to IG for Epcot area resort people. Disney has never claimed to be that either.
Oh, I know. But there was some outrage (relatively certain somewhere here) about the hoi polloi using the IG, and how it would make Epcot-area resort guests' visits miserable*, and crowded...

*yes, exaggerating :)).

If each one of those million Skyliner riders chip in $1000, TWDC can build another SWGE
If each one of those million Skyliner riders had to chip in $1000. I am guessing that exactly three of them would have gone ahead and ridden the Skyliner, thus yielding hardly enough to build another Star Wars Galaxy's Edge or anything else for that matter.

Granted, someone who wilts in the heat after 21 minutes of waiting poses a valid concern but I think that there is one panacea for that and all of the various other problems mentioned in this thread -- maintain concurrent bus transportation to the applicable resorts.

It is too early to make any judgment on how well SWGE is performing. I for one specifically avoided the opening of SWGE because of the potential for massive crowds of folks wanting to see and experience it "first" and in so doing, staying longer so as to increase the crowding at all four parks.

Last edited:
Huh? There's no "exclusive access" to IG for Epcot area resort people. Disney has never claimed to be that either. If someone who stays there has that perception, then they are flat out wrong.

I'm a "Epcot area resort person" and don't dislike the Gondola. I have no opinion on it as I never plan to ride it because, as an Epcot area resort guest, won't have a need to
I am guessing people were concerned about getting through security and actually get into the park would take longer as there now will be more people using that entrance.

Having just returned from 8 nights at the BCVs, I believe the IG entrance is more streamlined now and that's even with construction still underway! They've added more security checkpoints and now have a no bags line.
There are more tapstiles also. My observations are that the skyliner has very little volume impact on the entrance. A full Friendship boat is really the bottleneck maker. The real congestion occurs at park closing after the fireworks. The aforementioned construction really narrows the exit even with them letting people go out past the tapstiles. The backlog for the skyliner begins pretty quickly.

We did ride the skyliner 5 times during our visit and really enjoyed it! Primarily from HS back to IG. For the most part we always had a car to ourselves, only stopped twice mid-air and that was less than a minute. The announcement chime is a little annoying though! :faint:

I am guessing people were concerned about getting through security and actually get into the park would take longer as there now will be more people using that entrance.
We used IG twice last week. Once in the afternoon, using the Skyliner, and once right before RD, using the water taxi. No wait at security or at tapstiles either time. Maybe about two dozen people at RD?

We rode the Skyliner for the first time last week. After reading your post, it seems to me you're passing judgment too quickly. You should really try it before forming an opinion.

I am not planning on riding it except for after 6 p.m., when I am not in a hurry to go anywhere. (For example, I won’t be riding it to get to an evening ADR, but it should be OK to ride it back.) I will also be bring an adult diaper with me (I‘m old and decrepit and have to go every hour).
We only visited DHS and Epcot during our stay and relied exclusively on the Skyliner from AOA. There was only one instance when the Skyliner wasn't running, and there were CMs at the AOA Skyliner entrance advising people to either use the bus or expect a delay at the CBR station. Otherwise, the Skyliner took less than 15 minutes from our resort to the park gates. It was wonderful. We read here about poor experiences because people love to complain when something goes awry, but the posts here are a tiny fraction of the number of people actually riding each day. Your sentiments about riding when not being in a hurry are better directed at the bus transportation which is consistently inconsistent with how frequently the buses come around.

We missed the Skyliner by a week during my last trip. People’s reviews, for the most part, say that the Skyliner isn’t as hot as most feared. That makes sense to me, being that it is in October already. During my last trip in September, I once stood waiting 20 minutes for the ferry around noon at MK. It was a normal hot day, but not extremely so. We stood in the shade, there was a slight breeze and it was all very pleasant. We could have stood there for hours and wouldn’t have broken a sweat.
It was a record high of 94 degrees with 100% humidity last week when we were there. Quite warm and on par with summer heat. There is a consistent breeze that pours through the vents, but I will acknowledge that you are not going to cool down in the gondola as you might when stepping onto an air conditioned bus. It was very tolerable when getting on the Skyliner after leaving our room, but we were warm after we had been sweating from walking around the parks. We certainly didn't find it stifling or dangerous, however. And I agree with PP that comparing the level of heat to standing on the Boardwalk is comparing apples and oranges - in the Skyliner, you're a moving object creating a natural breeze, and on the Boardwalk, you're surrounded by structures taller than you. In a valley, of sorts.

The wait time at Epcot after fireworks is reported at 17 minutes. That’s a huge line and a long walk just along the line, considering how fast the line was moving, and not a big improvement from waiting for the bus. (People used to say that there will be no wait because the gondolas come continuously. It’s like Spaceship Earth; just because it comes continuously doesn’t mean there won’t be a 30 minute wait, as it often does.)
We didn't encounter this, maybe only waited 5 minutes at park closing in line. But even if you do get stuck in line as you're waiting for people to board, it's still faster than a long line at the bus. At a bus, you're capped by the number of people that fit on the bus. If the line is out the queue, you know you may need to wait through at least another bus to fit on one, which means you'll be waiting quite a while. And if there are ECV riders, easily add a couple more minutes for loading. Riding the Skyliner, ECV and wheelchair riders are in a separate queue so this is not adding to other riders' wait times. And I will also add that in the "longer" lines we waited in for the Skyliner, CMs were adjusting as necessary to put more people in each gondola. Each one can hold up to 10 people, but they were typically putting one party in each one. If there were people waiting, they would put two parties together, if they fit. So that helps the waits too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter