The trip that almost wasn't - A Disney/Star Wars Convention trip

TriciaSDMom

Mouseketeer
Hello all and :welcome: to my first ever trip report. That being said you will have to bear with me.

Here's a little (ok a lot) background info. Main characters are me, Tricia (2nd trip) and DH Scot (3rd trip). My first was in 2008 with my DH, DS#1 Lucas and the in-laws. We had a good time, but whenever I go on vacation with other people (which seems like a lot) I always feel like I've missed something. I prefer to be in control and to have everyone else follow my every move without complaints. Lucky for me my DH will do such a thing.

So talk of this little trip started in 2007. DH went to the Star Wars convention in LA. I couldn't go because I was extremely pregnant with DS#2. So he went with a friend and came back feeling kind of like I do. Like he missed some things. I told him I wish I could have gone with him. Next time we will go. He gets excited and tells me it's a deal. Over the next couple of years rumblings of the next convention happened here and there. Cities and venues were discussed and rumors started. The main contender seemed to be Chicago. Fine with me. It's driving distance and I have family there so cheap lodging. Also over these years DH graduated from college and started the grueling task of finding a job. Now this was the beginning of the slump and we had no idea what we were in for. Finally after 7 months of unemployment he found a crap job that finally put us ahead a little. We were able to buy a new car, put in an offer on a house, and I was pregnant. Also, another city was putting in a serious bid for Star Wars. Orlando. Ooooo. My heart skipped a little beat. I said, 'Honey? Can we do Disney too?' DH chuckled and said of course. It seemed stupid to go all the way to Orlando without doing Disney. Just so you all know I really love my husband. Especially after he said that.

Then our world came crashing down on us. DH was laid off. We lost the house we were about to close on and the trip looked out of reach. He took a temporary job to make ends meet. Then that ended and he took another temporary job. At least he was working, kind of. I told him when tax time came I would put some money aside for the trip. He told me not to worry. It would be like a year away.

So December rolls around and DS#3 is born 5 weeks early. We spend 2.5 weeks on the rollercoaster ride that is the NICU, but that is another story. One day after DS arrives it is announced. Orlando Aug. 12-15. Holy crap. Our anniversary is Aug 11th. This means I get to spend my 9th anniversary at Disney! Except DH still hasn't found a job. He remains positive and tells me that he will have something by then. That's great, but in reality it needs to be more like May since most places don't allow vacation for 3 months. MIL comes to help me with the kids since I'm back and forth to the hospital every day. I have her check her time share schedule to see if we can book a condo there. No go. They are all booked. So I start checking hotels near the convention center. I find one for a great price. Great! I can book now and cancel if I need to right? Here's a lesson to all of you. Always read the fine print. I later found out that is was an internet special and you have to prepay for the room. No refund for cancellation. So now we either go or lose $350.00.

March rolls around and still no job prospects. The temp jobs are done with too. Thanks to maternity leave we are pretty much wiped out. I still have the money set aside for the trip, but I'm starting to have to dip into it. I'm trying really hard not to. Finally DH get a good lead on a job. He gets excited and tells me it's perfect for him. The company seems really interested too. It looks like a done deal. I tell DH that I'm ordering the park tickets while I still have the $$. He tells me to go ahead. They don't expire so we can use them for a future trip if we have to.

April comes and no word on the job. We went to my parents for Easter feeling a little down. We had given ourselves a May cut off date. It looks hopeless. We only had one bite in three months there is no way he will find something in a month. Then word comes and it's a no. I am heartbroken. I start talking about a trip next year and bringing the kids along. That's great for me, but DH will miss the convention. He puts on a brave face and tells me it's ok. On the way home he tells me he applied for a couple of jobs that he had interviewed for previously over the weekend. 'Since they didn't want me then I don't see why they would want me now' he says. I try to give him a little boost. 'Maybe you were second choice. They aren't going to call you and ask if you are still looking. That's a waste of their time. Now they will see your name and remember you.' Still we are depressed. I had gotten a mini lecture over the weekend from my brother about not going on vacation and using my money in more practical ways. I wanted to tell my rich successful brother to shove it.

About an hour after we get home the phone rings. DH answers and the conversation intrigues me. He gets off and tells me I was partly right. It was from one of those companies. They did remember him. They had a hiring freeze right before they were going to hire him. He was to go in for a short interview the next day. OMG! I tried not to get too excited. Two days later he had it. Employment! Before May! The next day I booked plane tickets. There was no stopping us now. We were going to Disney and the Star Wars convention. Without the kids too! My dreams were coming true.

So the plan is fours days of Disney all planned by me. Then four days of Star Wars all planned by DH. Of course suggestions from the other are welcomed and considered. This is why DH and I work so well together. He does my things and I do his. We take an interest in each others passions. I love Disney and he only likes it, but is willing to make me happy. He loves Star Wars and I only like it, but I want him to be happy too. Win win!!

So now the planning can begin. Actually continue. I started a little before. Shh. Well, I had to. I had to make an ADR for Le Cellier and the 180 day window came up.

Since this is only my second trip and my first adult only, I am also open to any suggestions or tips/hints from all of you. Thanks for reading!

So I broke down and planned out a budget last night. I really have been dragging my feet doing this. I don't want to know how much money I plan on spending. But I had to know how much to save up. Now I'm thinking I'm spreading myself too thin. Is $60 a day good enough for food if we are only doing counter service? And $100 a day for souvenirs? I guess we will just have to see.

I'm not sure what is wrong with me. Last time around I obsessed about every little thing and planned months in advance. I drove my DH crazy. This time I can't seem to really get into it. I have the guide book, but I have to force myself to read it. And when I do my mind wanders to other things. :confused3 Maybe as it gets closer I'll get more excited. Then I'll freak out that I'm not prepared.

So I made some progress last weekend and made up our customized maps. Now I know that we won't actually use them, but I like to have them as little souvenirs. Plus as soon as I took out our old ones DS#1 confiscated them. That boy loves maps. Getting them out made us start to reminisce about our last trip. I started to hear "why didn't we do this?" Or "I would have liked to have seen that." My response was because we had three and sometimes five other people with us. Now we can do whatever we want. So DH gave me input! I was shocked! This whole time I've been hearing that he'll do whatever I want and just follow along. Now even though I am a control freak when it comes to vacations, I am more than happy to accommodate him. The thing that surprised me the most is he wants to eat at the taco shop across from Pirates. He's not a fan of tacos, but apparently last time we were there he stopped in for something to drink for DS and thought the food looked good. Didn't say a word about it until now. Tacos it is!

My next step is to start working on a packing list. I know we still have more than three months. And no, I will not be packing until the last week. I like to plan it early so I can shop for things early. Like ziplock bags and bandaids and ponchos. Plus I like to plan out my wardrobe early too. I learned the hard way to not wear jean shorts on a water ride. You will stay wet all day long. So I need to make sure I bring along khaki shorts and fast drying shirts.

Thanks for reading! Until next time.....

Well, here we go again. Just when I'm starting to get excited things come crashing down. DH came home last night in a pretty bad mood. Turns out that his boss doesn't think they can give him the time off for the vacation. He said maybe if DH had mentioned it at his interview that would have made a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a big no no? DH was told by the trainers that time off is based on first come, first served. So he put the request in right away. Now his supervisor is telling him it's seniority based. WTH? He told him he is still trying, but we might have to cancel. I honestly don't know what to do. I'm considering going without DH and conquering the world alone. DH isn't so keen on that idea. I thought about bringing someone else, but I really can't think of anyone. My BFF will be 8 months pregnant by then and shouldn't travel. My Mom is more interested in shopping than Disney. And my brother is horrible on vacations. I suppose I could take DS#1, but there goes my big rides. What should I do? Just cancel the whole thing? :sad1:

So hubby asks on Friday if we can shorten the trip to the convention days only. He wants to totally drop the Disney part! I start fuming. He says that he will make it up to me and maybe we can go this fall. After speaking to him rather harshly and scaring DS#1 he agreed that we can go to the parks at night. The convention is over by 4:30 every day. Now I have to completely redesign the schedule. Of course, there is still go guarantee that he can go. He is trying to show he is attempting to be flexible so maybe they will work with him. I'm starting to wonder if this is all worth it. Oh! And all of this comes on the day I book the Star Wars party at DHS.:furious:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter