The Widow and the Spinster: The Search for Adventure, Enlightenment, and the Quest for Forbidden food - Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, and New TR Link! 4/2

franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!
Welcome to another franandaj trip report.

This one is going to be completely different than any other TR that you have read from me! Why? Because there actually is no Disney Park, Disney ship, or even Disney paraphernalia (at least not planned) that will be involved!

Why am I writing this then? Well a number of you have expressed interest in the journey. Some have called it a bucket list trip. I can’t say anything to that. I really don’t have a bucket list. Now for those of you who already know me, you probably know some of this history, but I’ll give it to everyone in a nutshell.

About 30ish years ago I met my wife Fran. At the time I didn’t realize we were destined to spend a good portion of our lives together, but after a couple years of carefree romance, she was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. This just slowed her down a little bit, we continued to have all sorts of adventures, and about 15 years ago, I started sharing them on the DIS.

If you’ve followed us, you know she had all sorts of medical issues, but she fought on and tried her best to enjoy life. So why don’t I have a bucket list? Since her passing last Spring, I’ve realized that I spent so many years making her dreams come true, I never really thought about my own. After Fran passed, Jill (@jedijill) asked me to join her on her (already planned) trip to Egypt, it didn’t take long for me to say, “yes”.

Was this trip on my radar? Not in a million years. In fact when Jill was planning it, I didn’t even think to ask about any of the details. I did know that she was going to the place where they filmed the last scenes of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and that she was going to see some pyramids, but other than that it was something so out of reach for me, I didn’t give it a second thought. She was planning this trip to celebrate a milestone birthday. The premise was that if she was going to hit this milestone (she considered old, I hit that one quite a few years ago….) She should spend it with things that were WAY older than she would be.

To help me make up my mind of whether or not to tag along, I had her send me the proposed itinerary. I researched everything that was planned, read reviews of the proposed hotels, what sights were included, all the things. The deeper I got into it the better it sounded!

Glamping in a Bedouin tent in the desert? Um, yes!

Pyramids at Giza, Memphis, Sakkara, and the Sphinx? How cool is that?

Catacombs in Alexandria? Wow!

And it all ends with a cruise up the Nile visiting Luxor, the Valley of the Kings, Abu Simbel, and all that then!

Sign me up!

This is me and Jill from January this year.

x23DL0509R03.jpg

It was back in May when I agreed to join her on the trip. Since then we have just been counting down the days. I did a lot of research on Pharaohs, the various Dynasties, who ruled where and when, all kinds of stuff. Right at 30 days from our trip we got the payment link to make our final payment, and then it was just time to wait. We had a bit of disappointment when they sent our final itinerary shortly after paying in full.

One of the big things we were looking forward to was Glamping in the desert in the Bedouin camp. Well that wasn’t on the itinerary, now we were staying overnight at an average hotel near Petra. I’m glad for Jill because she wasn’t having it. She emailed them back saying that was one of the things that we were most looking forward to. It took some time, but they were able to find us another camp. They claimed that the one they originally quoted was full. The new one also gets good reviews, so we were happy that option was back on the table.

In those long months while waiting for the trip to come around, I did a lot of traveling. One trip was to visit my parents in San Jose. They have a museum there, The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum, which holds the largest collection of ancient Egyptian antiquities in the Western United States. My Mom suggested that we go there while I was visiting. We spent about four hours there and still didn’t see everything that they had to offer. I think we saw four of the five galleries.

In case you are not familiar with the territory let me use this as a point of reference. Our trip actually begins off the map in the country of Jordan, but when we finally get to Egypt we will be based in Cairo, which is just to the upper right of Giza on the map. After almost a week in Cairo we fly to Luxor, where we will board a Nile Cruise Ship. That ship will take us to all the other points on the map as far as Aswan. But we have booked a land trip to Abu Simbel before we finally disembark the ship, fly back to Cairo, and then eventually fly home via London.

q23EG1015PRE01.jpg

If you’re worried about the unrest in Israel, the Egypt/Israel border isn’t even shown in that picture. It’s way on the other side of that land mass on the right side. And that’s a demilitarized zone with limited access in and out, so even if Egypt is near the unrest, it also really isn’t.

But back to the museum visit, one of the neatest things they had was a recreation of a burial tomb. Here you see the entrance to said tomb.

q23EG1015PRE02.jpg

We were lucky enough to be there when a guided tour was being offered, so we got a lot of extra information. This room here is the one where the family would come to bring gifts to the tomb occupant. The door you see at the end of the room would have been sealed off once the burial took place and no one (except tomb robbers) would have passed through that door once it was sealed.

q23EG1015PRE03.jpg

This is the actual burial room. Notice the drawings on the walls. When explained to us, the right wall depicted the sorts of things that the deceased liked to do in real life, those activities continued around to the wall behind me in the first picture, seen in the second picture below.

On the opposite wall we see “the judgment”. If you are not familiar with Egyptian mythology, when one dies they stand in judgment before a number of factors. In this tomb, the first part is depicted on the left wall (not shown) where the man faces a number of questions about his sins….Did you ever lie? Did you ever steal? There are 42 of these, and he must confirm that he is sinless.

The scene you see on the far wall is where the man’s heart is weighed on the scale against the feather of Maat. If the decedents heart balances with the feather they are presented to Osiris, who admitted them into the Sekhet-Aaru. However, if their heart was heavier than the feather, it was to be devoured by the Goddess Ammit, permanently destroying the soul of the deceased, ceasing to exist.

q23EG1015PRE04.jpg

q23EG1015PRE06.jpg

And because this tomb is an amalgamation of most tombs, it has been robbed.

q23EG1015PRE05.jpg

While in Egypt, we expect that we will see a lot of these…..mummies.

q23EG1015PRE07.jpg

Here’s a close up, what they did to preserve the teeth and everything is beyond me!

q23EG1015PRE08.jpg

Bastet was a fierce lioness goddess worshiped as early as the 2nd Dynasty (2890BC). She is my favorite goddess. As well as Hathor the goddess of music and pleasure.

q23EG1015PRE09.jpg

This is Ahkenaten (aka the Heretic Pharaoh), he is known as the only Pharaoh to advocate for a monotheism, worshiping the Sun god Aten.

q23EG1015PRE10.jpg

And what good is a trip without a little joking around?

q23EG1015PRE11.jpg

OK this one fits a little bit better.

q23EG1015PRE12.jpg

OK everyone, buckle your seatbelts, return your tray table and seatback to the upright and locked position. This is going to be one long journey! You’re in for the long haul, or should I say the whole hog?

Table of Contents

Jordan Portion

October 18-20
Here We Go! Part 1
Here We Go! Part 2
We Made It!

October 21
A Long Trip To the Desert Part 1
A Long Trip To The Desert Part 2
Our Desert Jeep Tour Part 1
Our Desert Jeep Tour Part 2
Our Desert Jeep Tour Part 3
Dining Like a Bedouin

October 22
Up, Up, and Away
How Do We Choose? Part 1
How Do We Choose? Part 2

Egypt Portion

October 23

The end of our Nomadic Journey for now
We go on an Adventure!

October 24
We meet our Guide and Go Inside Tombs! Part 1
We meet our Guide and Go Inside Tombs! Part 2
Memphis and not Elvis’s Memphis
Even More Pyramids
A Whole Lotta Tasty

October 25
Mosques, Churches, and Synagogues, Oh My!
Mosques, Churches, and Synagogues, Oh My! Part 2
Lunch
We Climb a Pyramid
The One Where We Ride a Camel Part 1
The One Where We Ride a Camel Part 2
A Surprise and a Rude Awakening

October 26
Modern Ancient Civilization Part 1
Modern Ancient Civilization Part 2
I Get Lost in the Roman Baths Part 1
I Get Lost in the Roman Baths Part 2
Food that Watches You Part 1
Food that Watches You Part 2

October 27
The New Museum
The Old Museum Part 1
The Old Museum Part 2
How did we get talked into this? Part 1
How did we get talked into this? Part 2

October 28
A Truly Chill Day

October 29
This is where we’re staying next trip!

October 30
Up, up and Away Take 2 Part 1
Up, up and Away Take 2 Part 2
Did we say Party of Nine? Part 1
Did we say Party of Nine? Part 2
Mr. Ramses, I Presume

October 31
Sweating to the Oldies Part 1
Sweating to the Oldies Part 2
Sweating to the Oldies Part 3

You Can't Smile Without Your Crocodile
An Unexpected Chill Afternoon
Lock Like An Egyptian

November 1
Talking to the Past
The Edfu Temple
The High and Dry Paradox
Mummified Crocodiles and deified lamb, Oh my!

November 2
This Guy? Again? Part 1
This Guy? Again? Part 2
Husbands. Take Some Notes!
If I see One More Temple…..Part 1
If I see One More Temple…..Part 2

November 3
The Journey Home Begins

November 4
Bacon, Bacon, Bacon and Home Sweet Home

Last edited:
Jill here (The Spinster! 😂😂). This was a bucket list trip for me….a Combo of Indiana Jones, world Civilization classes in school, and way too many hours playing Civilization 1 -6! I was planning on going solo but happy Alison agreed to join me! It’s been so great so far!

Jill in CO

Last edited:
Love the start of the trip report! So glad it worked out for the two of you to do this together!

Loved the intro. You really did a lot of research about Egypt! My interest has always been rather cursory. So I would have to read up a lot as well!

The picture of you as a mummy in a sarcophagus is hilarious!

This one is going to be completely different than any other TR that you have read from me! Why? Because there actually is no Disney Park, Disney ship, or even Disney paraphernalia (at least not planned) that will be involved!
And I can't wait to read all about it! popcorn::
Why am I writing this then?
How could you not????
Well a number of you have expressed interest in the journey.
:wave:
So why don’t I have a bucket list? Since her passing last Spring, I’ve realized that I spent so many years making her dreams come true, I never really thought about my own.
Now it's time to think of you and start writing that list. :)
She was planning this trip to celebrate a milestone birthday.
Happy 30th Jill.
Or perhaps 25? Apologies if I guessed wrong at first. Milestones usually end in zero... but 25 is also a milestone.
Glamping in a Bedouin tent in the desert? Um, yes!

Pyramids at Giza, Memphis, Sakkara, and the Sphinx? How cool is that?

Catacombs in Alexandria? Wow!

And it all ends with a cruise up the Nile visiting Luxor, the Valley of the Kings, Abu Simbel, and all that then!
That's... impressive!
One of the big things we were looking forward to was Glamping in the desert in the Bedouin camp. Well that wasn’t on the itinerary, now we were staying overnight at an average hotel near Petra.
Yeah... no. Not even close. Glad Jill put her foot down.
In case you are not familiar with the territory let me use this as a point of reference. Our trip actually begins off the map in the country of Jordan, but when we finally get to Egypt we will be based in Cairo, which is just to the upper right of Giza on the map. After almost a week in Cairo we fly to Luxor, where we will board a Nile Cruise Ship. That ship will take us to all the other points on the map as far as Aswan. But we have booked a land trip to Abu Simbel before we finally disembark the ship, fly back to Cairo, and then eventually fly home via London.
I'm a little familiar and even more so now that I'm following along on the book of faces. I have Google mapped where you were a few times.
But back to the museum visit, one of the neatest things they had was a recreation of a burial tomb.
And then you went to the real thing.
the man faces a number of questions about his sins….Did you ever lie? Did you ever steal? There are 42 of these, and he must confirm that he is sinless.
:scared:
The scene you see on the far wall is where the man’s heart is weighed on the scale against the feather of Maat. If the decedents heart balances with the feather they are presented to Osiris, who admitted them into the Sekhet-Aaru. However, if their heart was heavier than the feather, it was to be devoured by the Goddess Ammit, permanently destroying the soul of the deceased, ceasing to exist.
I wonder... is this the origin of the phrase "light of heart"?
Here’s a close up, what they did to preserve the teeth and everything is beyond me!
From what I've heard... you don't want to know!
Bastet was a fierce lioness goddess worshiped as early as the 2nd Dynasty (2890BC). She is my favorite goddess.
Not at all surprised by that.
As well as Hathor the goddess of music and pleasure.
Or that either!
:laughing:
Equally good! You're in your element.
OK everyone, buckle your seatbelts, return your tray table and seatback to the upright and locked position. This is going to be one long journey! You’re in for the long haul, or should I say the whole hog?
:woohoo:

Jill here (The Spinster! 😂😂). This was a bucket list trip for me….a Combo of Indiana Jones, world Civilization classes in school, and way too many hours playing Civilization 1 -6! I was planning on going solo but happy Alison agreed to join me! It’s been so great so far!

Jill in CO
Hi Jill! Thanks so much for inviting Alison along on your journey and sharing it with us! :)

Hi Jill! Thanks so much for inviting Alison along on your journey and sharing it with us! :)
I’m thrilled she was able to join me! It’s been a ton of fun so far!! And thanks for remembering it’s my 30th birthday! 😂😂😂😂

Jill in CO

:welcome:

Although it seems rather silly since I'm sitting next to you in the lobby of our hotel in Cairo waiting for our driver and guide to take us to the airport for the second half of our Egyptian adventure!

Although it seems rather silly since I'm sitting next to you in the lobby of our hotel in Cairo waiting for our driver and guide to take us to the airport for the second half of our Egyptian adventure!
:lmao:

Love the start of the trip report! So glad it worked out for the two of you to do this together!
Loved the intro. You really did a lot of research about Egypt! My interest has always been rather cursory. So I would have to read up a lot as well!
That isn't even the half of it, or a quarter! I barely put any facts into the intro! I've got Google docs crammed full of history spanning 5000 years!
The picture of you as a mummy in a sarcophagus is hilarious!
I'm glad you like it!

And I can't wait to read all about it! popcorn::
I can't wait to start posting! I've already got two updates in the hopper with the past few light days we've had!
How could you not????
True. It's sort of in my genes.
Now it's time to think of you and start writing that list. :)
I don't even know where to start!
Happy 30th Jill.
Or perhaps 25? Apologies if I guessed wrong at first. Milestones usually end in zero... but 25 is also a milestone.

She's not as ancient as us, but....its a nice thought.

That's... impressive!
She set all this up! Im just along for the ride!
Yeah... no. Not even close. Glad Jill put her foot down.
Me too. I'm glad we got in, there's more to that story, but thats for a later time.
I'm a little familiar and even more so now that I'm following along on the book of faces. I have Google mapped where you were a few times.
Well now you can goggle map our next destination. We are now heading to Upper Egypt. Plane leaves in a little over 2 hours.
And then you went to the real thing.
Yes we did! And we will be going to more in the next few days!
I wonder... is this the origin of the phrase "light of heart"?
Evidently not. According to the Google it says Milton can be attributed to that phrase.
From what I've heard... you don't want to know!
In preparation for the trip I've been re-listening to a book series about a 19th-20th century archeologist as told by his wife. Their precocious son nicknamed Ramses did experiments with mummification, so I have an idea of the chemicals and processes.
Not at all surprised by that.
Or that either!
I can be predictable.
Equally good! You're in your element.

In preparation for the trip I've been re-listening to a book series about a 19th-20th century archeologist as told by his wife. Their precocious son nicknamed Ramses did experiments with mummification, so I have an idea of the chemicals and processes.
You once recommended that series to me as vacation reading. I loved it!

I can't wait to start posting! I've already got two updates in the hopper with the past few light days we've had!
popcorn::
True. It's sort of in my genes.
::yes::
I don't even know where to start!
Oh, my dear... you already have. I invite you to review the list of places you mentioned in your first post. If that's not the start of an amazing bucket list, I don't know what is.
She set all this up! Im just along for the ride!
I'll have to inquire into Jill's travel agency service.
Me too. I'm glad we got in, there's more to that story, but thats for a later time.
popcorn::
Evidently not. According to the Google it says Milton can be attributed to that phrase.
Meh. Milton stole it from the Egyptians. I'm going with that, based on absolutely zero knowledge and research.
1. I remember you talking about that book.
2. Precocious son experimenting with mummification? This is the stuff serial killers are made of! :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter