The WONDERment Of Alaska - Pre-Trip Report - May 23 - May 31, 2022

Skywatcher1206

Mouseketeer
Hi All!

Welcome to my first trip report on this board! Going on this trip is me and my DH of 15 years. We are leaving our 2 boys (12 & 9) behind with grandparents, although I do want to take them to Alaska eventually. This is just a special trip to celebrate our anniversary (a few months late as the anniversary was in Feb)

Pic of us on our last solo Disney Cruise in 2018.
Photo - Cruise.JPG

We were initially going to go to Alaska on Royal Caribbean in 2020, but of course like so many of you, our hopes got dashed that we would be making it at that time. As it is a special year, due to the milestone anniversary, we decided to go a little bit bigger and decided to book on DCL for this trip. I had read so many of your trip reports for DCL Alaska on this board, and am so excited to experience it myself!

We had initially booked the cruise in June 2021 in an oceanview stateroom on Deck 2 Forward, then upgraded in January 2022 into an oceanview stateroom on Deck 5 forward, and then finally upgraded for a third time in February of 2022 into VGT, as it was basically the same price as the Oceanview stateroom on Deck 5. I'm sure our TA was cursing us out silently over all of these changes. I was pleasantly surprised when we were assigned a plexiglass verandah stateroom on Deck 7 midship. I was hoping to be on the other side of the ship, but not getting to choose your room location was part of the deal, and I think we lucked out. We are currently late dining, but am hoping to change that to early dining when we get on board. We are boarding group 3 (thanks to staying up until midnight a few weeks ago to check in, so hopefully we have a chance).

On to our itinerary...

Friday, May 20th - Last day of work before trip (thank God), and the kiddos get picked up by my FIL that evening.

Saturday, May 21 - Early morning flight from RDU to Seattle. We had decided to fly to Seattle instead of Vancouver when the US was still requiring tests to enter by air, but not by land. We didn't want to chance not being able to get back home. We land in Seattle, and then explore Seattle for a little bit (hoping to store our luggage somewhere, maybe the train station?), and then depart on the Amtrak bus a few hours later. I was really hoping that the train would be running, but it does not appear that it will be yet. We will arrive at our hotel (Pan Pacific Vancouver) and will decide where to eat and what to do (possibly FlyOver Canada as something to do if we are not too tired).

Sunday, May 22 - My initial plan was to do Capilano & Grouse Mtn today, but then decided to only do Capilano and then check out Stanley Park. We have booked an early morning entry time due to tips on this board. We are planning on taking the free shuttle there and back as it picks up right outside our hotel. Not really sure what we will do in Stanley Park yet, but it looks beautiful.

Monday, May 23 - Board the ship! :) I will also go straight to the dining desk to try to get early dining as well as make sure that Tiana's is on any night rather than night 2.

Tuesday, May 24 - At Sea. Our only plan is a Palo Dinner. I am hoping that our rotation has us in Triton's this night as it is my least favorite menu, besides the Apple Tartin.

Wednesday, May 25 - Dawes Glacier. Our only plan is the Glacier Explorer. We are booked on the 3PM excursion. I had heard after we booked that the 12 Noon is the better time, but of course, they are all sold out now. I'm sure the 3PM will be wonderful too.

Thursday, May 26 - We have an excursion booked with Chilkoot Charters. I was disappointed when we got an email saying that the train portion was cancelled for 2022, but am still really looking forward to the excursion.

Friday, May 27 - Our plan for this day is a private whale watching tour in the morning, and then hoping to see Mendenhall Glacier after that. Hoping our whale watching excursion will drop us off there, and then we can get a cab back to port.

Saturday, May 28 - We have booked the Lumberjack show direct since we will not be seeing the Lumberjack show at Grouse Mountain. I had a choice of the regular show or the Disney enhanced show. We chose the regular show.

Sunday, May 29 - At sea. Only plan is Palo Brunch. It will be our first time, so I am pretty excited.

Monday, May 30 - Arrive back in Vancouver and we are booked on the Amtrak bus back to Seattle. We will check into our Seattle hotel and explore Seattle some more.

Tuesday, May 31 - Early morning trip back to RDU, and trip is over. :(

I will try to post a detailed trip report with how everything turned out shortly after we get back.

Thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:

When you say booked an early entry time on May 22, are you referring to Stanley Park or something else?? I wasn't aware you had to have an entry time? Exploring Stanley Park is our plan for our day in Vancouver.

Thank you for doing a trip report!!! We are sailing this itinerary on June 20 and can't wait for reports!!

We did this departure date back in 2019. It was a wonderful trip. I did the 3pm Glacier Explorer and got to see the glacier calve up close, my spouse did the 12pm and got to see some seals floating on chunks of ice. Either way it's a great excursion. I recommend renting bikes in Stanley Park. The aquarium is worth checking out as well if you're interested, it's small, but they have some exhibits that are specific to species in the PNW.

When you say booked an early entry time on May 22, are you referring to Stanley Park or something else?? I wasn't aware you had to have an entry time? Exploring Stanley Park is our plan for our day in Vancouver.

Thank you for doing a trip report!!! We are sailing this itinerary on June 20 and can't wait for reports!!
Sorry for the confusion, we booked an early entry time for Capilano Suspension Bridge. Stanley Park does not require a reservation.

We did this departure date back in 2019. It was a wonderful trip. I did the 3pm Glacier Explorer and got to see the glacier calve up close, my spouse did the 12pm and got to see some seals floating on chunks of ice. Either way it's a great excursion. I recommend renting bikes in Stanley Park. The aquarium is worth checking out as well if you're interested, it's small, but they have some exhibits that are specific to species in the PNW.
Thanks for the tips, we very well may do the bike ride in Stanley Park. I have read of a couple of bike rental shops close by.

Thanks for the tips, we very well may do the bike ride in Stanley Park. I have read of a couple of bike rental shops close by.
Yep, definitely recommend the bike 🚲🚲 rentals to tour through & explore Stanley Park all day. Most rentals include a bike lock🔐 that come in handy if u stop to go into aquarium 🐠🐟🦭🦦for a few hours.

We have loved renting & riding bikes along the sea wall & throughout Stanley Park the past 2x we were there (2016 & 2018). During both trips, my hubby & I were the riders…& our young daughter was pulled in a tag-a-long trailer✅

The Capilano Suspension bridge is another great place to visit! 🤩…I hope u do & see “all the things” there 😉

Congrats on your Anniversary trip🥰…it will be amazing❣️

Ps. If a ferry boat ride over to Vancouver island/Victoria is possible in your itinerary🤔…then u should definitely go visit “The Butchart Gardens”🌺🌻🪷🌷💐🌸🌹🌼

I hope you had a wonderful cruise! If you get a chance, I'd love to know what shows were what nights and what night the Frozen deck party is. We sail on June 13th and I'm trying to nail down Palo dinner and plan a bit. Thanks!

I hope your trip is off to a good start! Can’t wait to hear, we’re going in about 90 days and am excited to see how yours goes!

I hope you had a wonderful cruise! If you get a chance, I'd love to know what shows were what nights and what night the Frozen deck party is. We sail on June 13th and I'm trying to nail down Palo dinner and plan a bit. Thanks!
The Frozen Deck party was on the Juneau day in between dinner times at around 7:30 pm.

The show schedule was-

Monday - No main show
Tuesday - Golden Mickeys
Wednesday - Matt Baker (variety show)
Thursday - Dr. Strange
Friday - Frozen
Saturday - Siegfried Tieber (magician)
Sunday - Dreams

We only caught the 3 main shows and Siegfried Tieber. I wish we had time to see Matt Baker but if you are on the 3 pm Glacier Explorer excursion, you will miss the early dining if you have that. In our case, the Frozen dinner which was on the same night was really important not to miss.

The Frozen Deck party was on the Juneau day in between dinner times at around 7:30 pm.

The show schedule was-

Monday - No main show
Tuesday - Golden Mickeys
Thursday - Dr. Strange
Friday - Frozen
Sunday - Dreams

We only caught the 3 main shows and Siegfried Tieber. I wish we had time to see Matt Baker but if you are on the 3 pm Glacier Explorer excursion, you will miss the early dining if you have that. In our case, the Frozen dinner which was on the same night was really important not to miss.
The 3 pm glacier excursion will miss early dining or the variety show?

The show schedule was-

Monday - No main show
Tuesday - Golden Mickeys
Thursday - Dr. Strange
Friday - Frozen
Sunday - Dreams

First, thank you! This is so helpful!

Second, wow, we were told by Shoreside Concierge we might be 15-20 minutes late to diner, but that seems a little longer than we thought. We sail soon so I don't think we're changing, but gives me cause to think. (Especially if Cabana's isn't open so we'd have to do room service or deck food?)

Additionally, am I the only one who is annoyed all the Frozen things aren't on the same night?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter