Things I wouldn't mind staying after all this is over

Washing hands and staying home when you’re sick. I want nothing else to stay. Not one thing.

I will say I still know people working while sick. They either don’t get paid sick time or they don’t have 80 hours of time off sitting around. So either they work or they don’t get paid. I know two people this week that I’m sure they have covid (both live with people who had confirmed positives) that are at work.

All this talk of people being paid and companies taking on this new great sick time policy just doesn’t seem to be anywhere in my life but on the Dis. I work for a hospital and if you catch covid or have to quarantine due to someone in your household having covid then you have to use your PTO. We were forced to use PTO when we had our lockdown so lots of people have little to no PTO right now. And you can’t go into the negative on your PTO bank. So if you don’t have 80 hours of PTO you won’t be getting paid. So what is that going to force people to do??

Last edited:
...Out of all the weddings I've seen and been to, this one was the loveliest and most personal. And I bet out of all of them, these two stand the greatest chance of making it together. Listening to them talk, they had their heads and values in the right places. It wasn't about the wedding. It was about moving forward, continuing to create a life together.
It's not really my business what couples decide to do with their weddings but I must say I have great respect and admiration for the 3 young couples in our life this year that went ahead with their weddings despite the limitations. They all had the choice of postponing and waiting for the "maybe someday" big gala they originally planned. Instead they scaled way, way down to meet restrictions and as you say - moved forward. :lovestruc Funny thing though - the couples all seemed giddily happy; the bride's mothers in every case were devastated. :scratchin

ETA: We did not attend any of these weddings; they all took place under strict limitations of gathering size - 6 people or less back in the spring. The plans were to have larger receptions when it became allowable (up to 50 people at one point this summer) but none of them did.

Last edited:
I read this yesterday, but wanted to give it a little thought because for me, it’s less about what I would like to see remain the same and more about changes I would like to see based on what we learned during the pandemic.

Mandatory sick days for all employees is one thing I would like to see. Whether it comes from a federal level, or a state level, everyone needs to be able to call in sick when they are sick. They shouldn’t have to worry about losing their job, or losing income, by doing so. Will it require a doctor note? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe one or two days, no doctor required, but for longer you need one (I have worked places with this policy and there wasn’t a big problem with abuse). I have worked with some martyrs who would come in with a fever, and cough all over everyone, and go home after a couple of hours. I am hoping now that companies have experienced their staff working from home, this will be encouraged as an alternative if there is a task you absolutely must get done whether you are ill or not.

I would like to see companies go back to assigned desks and even cubicles. We were in the process of building out a new office when this hit, and each desk is maybe three feet wide, they are all crowded together, with no extra floor space for social distancing (or even simple personal space). You are just supposed to grab whatever desk is available and work for the day, so the germs of a dozen people could be present every time you sit down, not counting the people all around you. Illnesses used to make the rounds in our office constantly before Covid, and no one cared. We need to care, whether it’s Covid, the flu, or a common cold.

I would like to see a standard requirement for building ventilation so germs can’t collect in stale air indoors. Some office buildings are sealed so tight that the only fresh air coming in is through the front door - if you’re lucky. We know now that this can be very detrimental to our health. This can be done over a period of time, and it may require some financial assistance, but it needs to happen.

As far as what I would like to keep, some social distancing would be good. I would be OK with three feet minimum instead of six once the virus is contained by a vaccine. I would like for masks to remain optional, so that anyone who is concerned about their health is free to wear one. There are always people who are more vulnerable than others, and if wearing a mask makes them feel safe, they should be able to do so. I would like to see restaurants thin the tables a bit, but keep take out orders available (even if they didn’t offer take out before). I have dined in restaurants a few times since June, and it was nice not to worry about bumping into other patrons just pulling out your chair to sit, or having to turn sideways to walk between tables. The world seemed to have gone to a pack them in like sardines attitude prior to the virus. It was uncomfortable and unenjoyable. Let’s give us a little space to breathe.

Only one thing: The Cavalcades. I love the ones at Universal and am glad disney is doing them now. But I hope they realized how much people love them and keep them. I kind of doubt that they will because they have alot of floats that they invested in. I think people still love the parades, but I am not one of them.

Mask wearing. I'm clearly in the minority, but I am a HUGE fan of masks in public places. I love that strangers aren't breathing on me, coughing everywhere, sneezing all over the food in the grocery store or in a restaurant. Cold season, flu season, just general yuckiness is reduced by mask wearing.

Paid sick leave. I love that people have been staying home as much as possible while ill. I understand having to make a choice between staying home when sick and putting food on the table and keeping a roof over your head. We should do something to make sure nobody has to make this choice.

Flex-time at work. Although we were originally all told to NOT come to work, that has segued to "work from home when you can." Well, I can. I don't need to be sitting at my desk to grade 100 lab reports, quizzes, exams, etc. Sure, there are parts of my job that require me to be at work, but I like being able to work from home when I can.

In the parks: sanitizing stations, cavalcades, not having gross strangers who have poor hygiene in my personal space (social distancing rocks in the parks!) less crowded restaurants, health screenings to keep the obviously ill out

In the real world: social distancing, online school options (many kids are thriving with this option and frankly for high school kids they should ALWAYS have the option to take some classes in person and others online with the ability to leave when they don't have an in person class. They can fill that time that they would have wasted sitting in a class with jobs, community service, studying, etc.). paid sick leave, and mandatory "dont come to work/ school sick" policies. I worked as an RN for many many years in the hospital setting and let me tell you, they don't give a hoot if you are sick in flu season. You had better be there, no exceptions.

retailers starting their holiday return policy 10/1 vs. 11/1. i've been able to do holiday shopping earlier this year b/c i could buy gifts in october and know their 30 (or 15) day return window wouldn't start until 12/26.

Great thread!
So many people mentioned it's nice not having people come to work sick, and someone said maybe for just a cold, they could work from home. I'd like to point out that I've had many a "just a cold" or "just allergies" day that completely knocked me out, or at least knocked out any brainpower I might have had. So if I needed to just be a pair of eyes on a video call or something, i could have done it from home. But if I needed to actually process information from that zoom meeting, that wouldn't have happened.

But the other problem is that (I think) most of us have experienced days where we wake up and spend all of breakfast and getting dressed trying to decide if we are feeling well or sick. Surely I'm not the only one? The "theatre" temp checks might actually help in some of those situations, though I don't always run a fever until late in the day even when sick, but also I know I've been guilty in the past of going in thinking I was well but gradually feeling sicker and having to leave. Those days are the ones where working from home might be a great solution, at least as long as possible. That is if the boss understands when you clock in from home saying you might or might not be sick but just wanted to stay home to make sure you don't spread anything if you are sick. The COVID changes might help there.

It is so nice how easy the airlines are making it right now, just a click and you flight is cancelled and your credit is on your account for when you’re ready to rebook.
I'm hoping that stays! The old system almost is set up to make sick people get on that plane anyhow! (I know there's trip insurance, but cancellation always was a tough call to make, esp. for someone who's a bit out of it, being sick.)

I also love the telemedicine several mentioned. 15 min phone call vs. trying to schedule that one appointment close to 5 p.m. so my daughter doesn't have to miss 2 to 3 hours of school just because her doctor is almost an hour away (and never on time)? The tele-appointments have been so much better! I know that won't work every time, but for the regular check-up sort where it's mostly him asking how she is and she saying she's fine and him deciding whether to keep her on the same meds or not? The only thing missing is him checking her BP, which has not once been an issue in person.
If colleges can blend classes, companies can also have a blend of work schedules where in-office days and hours are staggered to provide more employee flexibility, and better utilization of expensive workspaces.
I love this answer! I think it'll be more likely for most folk than completely remote work.
Empty roads and very light traffic.
I wish! But here (very red state) the traffic seems as bad as ever. It was nice during the short shutdown though.

The only things I have to add are that I have appreciated our slowed down pace.
It's nice not running here and there all the time.
It's nice only having to be in the car line 2 days a week (though it goes to 4 next month.) So I'm hoping we don't jump back into the same hectic schedule.

And budgeting has been easier, too, though I realize that's b/c we aren't helping out the economy as much with our purchases. (We haven't completely stopped spending, though. We've ended up getting some big things -- stove, tires, etc. -- with money we didn't spend on fast food, extra clothes, gas, "activities", etc.) It's a lot easier to not spend when you aren't running around all the time. Hopefully that sticks around.

I love the QR codes for menus. This allows for menus to be updated easily. It's cost-effective. You print less for those who need the paper menu and everyone else uses the QR code.

I also think that work from home at least once a week would be nice. I have a job that requires us to be in person some of the time - but not all of it. I'd love my Fridays Sept-May to be from home.

Also no more/limited snow days for kids. When there is snow send a packet home via e-mail and/or have a short online check in (small groups) to review. That way they aren't in school up until the end of June.

Policies around sick time that make sense. If you are really sick and can't work, take a sick day. But if it's something minor but contagious and you could work from home, then work from home.

Expanded remote work and virtual learning options for people who want them.

The end of strict sick day policies in workplaces and schools.

Greater telemedicine options and being able to wait in my car prior to in-person appointments.

Curbside everything. Put the beer in the trunk, give my kid his vaccines in the car seat, and grab the cat from the passenger’s side for his vet appointment. I’ll just be sitting here scrolling through my phone, enjoying my new VIP status in life.

Not having to answer the door for deliveries. Put the pizza on the stoop and go. We don’t need to bring human interaction into this.

I read this yesterday, but wanted to give it a little thought because for me, it’s less about what I would like to see remain the same and more about changes I would like to see based on what we learned during the pandemic.

Mandatory sick days for all employees is one thing I would like to see. Whether it comes from a federal level, or a state level, everyone needs to be able to call in sick when they are sick. They shouldn’t have to worry about losing their job, or losing income, by doing so. Will it require a doctor note? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe one or two days, no doctor required, but for longer you need one (I have worked places with this policy and there wasn’t a big problem with abuse). I have worked with some martyrs who would come in with a fever, and cough all over everyone, and go home after a couple of hours. I am hoping now that companies have experienced their staff working from home, this will be encouraged as an alternative if there is a task you absolutely must get done whether you are ill or not.

I would like to see companies go back to assigned desks and even cubicles. We were in the process of building out a new office when this hit, and each desk is maybe three feet wide, they are all crowded together, with no extra floor space for social distancing (or even simple personal space). You are just supposed to grab whatever desk is available and work for the day, so the germs of a dozen people could be present every time you sit down, not counting the people all around you. Illnesses used to make the rounds in our office constantly before Covid, and no one cared. We need to care, whether it’s Covid, the flu, or a common cold.

I would like to see a standard requirement for building ventilation so germs can’t collect in stale air indoors. Some office buildings are sealed so tight that the only fresh air coming in is through the front door - if you’re lucky. We know now that this can be very detrimental to our health. This can be done over a period of time, and it may require some financial assistance, but it needs to happen.

As far as what I would like to keep, some social distancing would be good. I would be OK with three feet minimum instead of six once the virus is contained by a vaccine. I would like for masks to remain optional, so that anyone who is concerned about their health is free to wear one. There are always people who are more vulnerable than others, and if wearing a mask makes them feel safe, they should be able to do so. I would like to see restaurants thin the tables a bit, but keep take out orders available (even if they didn’t offer take out before). I have dined in restaurants a few times since June, and it was nice not to worry about bumping into other patrons just pulling out your chair to sit, or having to turn sideways to walk between tables. The world seemed to have gone to a pack them in like sardines attitude prior to the virus. It was uncomfortable and unenjoyable. Let’s give us a little space to breathe.
My words exactly. My company went to the "open office" concept about a year ago. I have hated it since day one and fought it even before then. They were quick to send us all home knowing what a germ factory it is. We are still being encouraged to work at home (+1) but they have announced there will be no changes to the office other than these silly cards you turn over so the cleaning crew knows you've been there (for those who are going back in - it's a pretty small group). People are now leaving in droves knowing it won't get better, especially managers who used to have real offices.

Your comment about the ventilation is also spot-on. Crazy as it may sound, airplanes are less germy than most offices as the air is constantly filtered. Just leave the little air vent on @ your seat - you are very unlikely to get sick if you do that.

Absolutely love having personal space in the lines @ WDW. People are a lot more polite too. No more fighting to keep people from cutting in front of you. I can't see how they can keep the 6' spacing between guests once the park capacity goes back to normal though.

This is a very small thing, but I put a small squirt bottle of hand sanitizer in the drink holder in my car. Every time we leave a store, we "sanitize". That's a habit we'll keep.

Expanded remote work and virtual learning options for people who want them.

The end of strict sick day policies in workplaces and schools.

Greater telemedicine options and being able to wait in my car prior to in-person appointments.

Curbside everything. Put the beer in the trunk, give my kid his vaccines in the car seat, and grab the cat from the passenger’s side for his vet appointment. I’ll just be sitting here scrolling through my phone, enjoying my new VIP status in life.

Not having to answer the door for deliveries. Put the pizza on the stoop and go. We don’t need to bring human interaction into this.

VIP status, yes!! What a great outlook.

I agree with the tighter restrictions on visitors at hospitals. I just said to my husband the other night that I would love to be having a baby right now because of the limited visitors at the hospital. I do not understand why everyone thinks they need to rush to the hospital to see the mom and new baby within hours of the birth and then staying for hours. All I wanted to do was sleep but there seemed to be a constant parade of visitors coming to my room and my hospital didn't really enforce any kind of visiting hours in the postpartum unit. The limited visitors and tighter restrictions sound heavenly to me!

I also hope that restaurants continue to offer curbside pick up. I know a lot of chain restaurants (Applebees, Chili's, Red Robins, etc.) have done that for years but I'm enjoying that option at local restaurants and some high-end restaurants.

I'm surprised that several people have said they hope the telemedicine/virtual doctor appointments continue. My husband and adult kids have been using that type of service for at least 2 years already (I prefer to see my doctor in person). I just assumed that was available everywhere.

I also hope that people will continue to wear masks during flu season or when they have any type of respiratory illness. I've always kept hand sanitizer and wipes in the car to use after we'd be touching things in a store or wherever, but I hope businesses continue to have hand sanitizer stations readily available.

I agree with the tighter restrictions on visitors at hospitals. I just said to my husband the other night that I would love to be having a baby right now because of the limited visitors at the hospital. I do not understand why everyone thinks they need to rush to the hospital to see the mom and new baby within hours of the birth and then staying for hours. All I wanted to do was sleep but there seemed to be a constant parade of visitors coming to my room and my hospital didn't really enforce any kind of visiting hours in the postpartum unit. The limited visitors and tighter restrictions sound heavenly to me!

I also hope that restaurants continue to offer curbside pick up. I know a lot of chain restaurants (Applebees, Chili's, Red Robins, etc.) have done that for years but I'm enjoying that option at local restaurants and some high-end restaurants.

I'm surprised that several people have said they hope the telemedicine/virtual doctor appointments continue. My husband and adult kids have been using that type of service for at least 2 years already (I prefer to see my doctor in person). I just assumed that was available everywhere.

I also hope that people will continue to wear masks during flu season or when they have any type of respiratory illness. I've always kept hand sanitizer and wipes in the car to use after we'd be touching things in a store or wherever, but I hope businesses continue to have hand sanitizer stations readily available.

Except that my mother just spent the night in the hospital scared and alone after they admitted her for a heart condition because nobody was allowed to visit, or sit with her, or be there with her to help parse out what the doctor was telling her about her heart. A happy medium would be nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter