• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Thinking about cheating on the Mouse...

3floridarays

Growing older, but not up.
And I feel so guilty about it!

So here's the deal: We have been to WDW twice in the last 2 months and are going again next month (weekend trips). We also have reservations for the end of May for our anniversary (May 21-26).

Now I'm starting to think about changing our reservations and maybe sneaking over to to Universal and the Lowe's Royal Pacific Resort for a couple of nights. My family LOVES HP, which would be open by then, and DS is a total thrill-seeker when it comes to rides (and he's finally tall enough to ride everything!). We've never been to Universal, so it would be a completely new experience for us.

But I feel like a traitor! We are a totally obsessive Disney family. You should see our pin collection - it's ridiculous!!!

And if I do decide to cheat...what would be better? Spend the weekend at WDW (for Flower & Garden) then go to US, or do US on the weekend and then WDW?

Cheating is so complicated! :tiptoe:

The good news is that when you get caught, no one will hit you or your Escalade with a nine iron. :lmao:

There are plenty of peole who visit both parks, or don't like Disney at all. I hope no one flames you for going to Universal Studios. We went around Christmas time and stayed onsite with the FOTL passes. If you are staying onsite, I vote that you go to US on the weekend and avoid WDW on the weekend. Just my $.02.

But I feel like a traitor!

You should.
You are
It is.

:goodvibes
But I kinda know where you are coming from my kids want to go to Sea World this year so I am considering it for next year. It will take that long for me to talk myself into it. I personally love HP but have never had the desire to go back to US, even HP is not enough of a draw to consider it. It's been over 8 years and I just dont even consider it or think about that place being over there till we pass it on I-4 , we did go the first time at the tail end of our first Disney trip and that just sets the bar so high they couldn't compare so my dislike of US is kinda not completely fair to them.

There's no guarantee that WWOHP will be open for your May trip - Universal has not announced the date yet. I fully expect it will be open since HP packages can be booked starting May 28, but the WWOHP may still be in soft openings while you are there. Typically, there is no express line for soft openings.

Typically, I would say do US on the weekend and WDW during the week since you will have FOTL access at US. However, if WWOHP is open, locals will be flooding US on the weekend for a long time. I'd do US during the week to improve the chances you will actually be able to move through IOA.

I feel for you and am also a cheater..

I had everything planned for either a sept or dec trip when my mom called and offered to take the kids if hubby and i wanted to go on a cruise,,,,, just the 2 of us!!!! It has never been just the 2 of us, not even a honeymoon.. Well i caved!!!!! I have never been on a cruise and the thought of being able to get a full night sleep w/o a baby waking me at least 3x a night,,, well was just to tempting!

So my 3 heathens will be on their way to the world the day after thanksgiving w/ the grandparents and hubby and i will be leaving 3 days later for a 7 day bahama carnival cruise! It is ok though cause i went to the world 2x last year!

Universal's parks are definitely for those who like a thrill. There's definitely attractions for everybody - but visceral thrills are their specialty.

I personally LOVE Universal!

And I will say that the Universal resorts blow Disney's resorts away. They're usually less expensive than Disney's deluxes and they provide a top notch, truly 5 star experience. The service is second to absolutely none, and the resorts are absolutely beautiful. The orchids at the Royal Pacific are breathtaking.

And - pool hopping at Universal's resorts is not only allowed - it's encouraged.

It's not cheating. By visiting both sets of parks, you're encouraging competition. Which is a very good thing. It keeps everybody on their toes - and the guest experience stays better because of it.

Orlando doesn't have to be a one-or-the-other kind of destination.

Go, and enjoy!

The good news is that when you get caught, no one will hit you or your Escalade with a nine iron. :lmao:.

:thumbsup2:rotfl2::lmao:

We decided to cheat for the first time on our October trip...we're spending a day at SeaWorld. I have always wanted to go there, so a couple months ago we decided to take one precious Disney Day and just go. Looking forward to it. :)

Cheater. :lmao:

Don't worry, we did this last year. We'd never been to Universal, so we started our vacation with one day at those parks (U. Studios itself and Islands of Adventure, where HP will be). It definitely appealed to the thrill-seeker in me, but of course WDW is cooler overall.

Go ahead. Feel like a rebel. ;)

As another poster said, there is no guarantee that WWoHP will be open when you go in May. There is still a lot of speculation as to the opening date. I've been following the WWoHP board. So I guess that makes me a cheater also. :rolleyes1

DW and I have our trip planned for October. We're hoping by then, some of the new WWoHP hype has died down and it will be less crowded. We're big HP fans and this is one of the reason's we're headed back to Orlando sooner than when we can usually get out there.

Of course we're not particular to one park over the others. We love them all. We don't get to get out to Orlando too often, so we take in as much of Orlando as we can. So I don't feel like we're cheaters; we're open minded to all the theme parks, we're on vacation and there to have a good time.

I love both Disney and Universal. I plan on visiting both establishments when I go on my next trip in June.

I also think competition is a good thing, as a previous poster said:thumbsup2

you shouldnt feel bad at all. All the parks are there to be enjoyed. There is no reason to take sides. It's like picking which child you love the most.

We love Universal. We take more Disney vacations, but the on-site privileges at Universal Resort are amazing. In fact, we are considering a December trip to visit Hogwarts even though we are planning July in Disney.

How wonderful to have 2 great vacations!

K

In about 24 trips since Universal opened in only about 3 or 4 have I not gone. Since I of A opened I have only been to the Universal side once since it opened, I am a huge fan of I of A

We get over to IofA every once in a while. A little change is just the thing to keep the romance fresh with WDW! :lmao:

I started cheating when my youngest was about your DS's age...:rolleyes1

Then every trip since then... Walt won't find out though... because no one is allowed to SAY "US/IOA" while we are on WDW Grounds...or they get SHUSHED!!!

YES - the US/IoA Thrill rides were and are pretty attractive to my Now-Teens... although we all still LOVE WDW...

Plus we sneak to US/IoA FIRST...staying in a Cheap Comfort Suites/Major Ave that I've grown to love....we do ONE DAY US/IOA (we could see and do EVERYTHING at both parks in One Day...don't know if this would still be the case with HP and Rip RIde now)...The Simpsons is my FAV ride EVER....

US/IoA is a Theme Park whereas WDW is not (IMHO). It is totally not comparable...and we don't find lines to be comparable...so FOTL passes were never considered...though I might want to stay onsite at US/IoA next visit...

Eat at Mythos!

Just keep it quiet and Walt will never know the difference :woohoo:

Hugs,
Mary

I am in a similar debate for next year. I have an AP for Disney right now so we are going to Disney in 8 weeks but staying off-site and then planning a second Disney trip only on-site in November.

I am thinking next April - we might focus on just US, IOA and SW and (sin of all sins) skip Disney. Of course, if they offer free dining in November and I have to buy one day tickets to get it then we will do a Disney day in April 2011. :dance3:

You should not feel guilty about going to Universal Studios. I have never been to Universal Studios because I have never had the opportunity. For some reason it reminds me of the rides I can find at my local theme park, but yet the rides in WDW feel unique. I don't understand it.

Whichever road you might take, have a magical vacation!

Since this thread is discussing both USO and WDW, and isn't really focusing on WDW theme park attractions and strategies, I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

So here's the deal: We have been to WDW twice in the last 2 months and are going again next month (weekend trips). We also have reservations for the end of May for our anniversary (May 21-26).

Now I'm starting to think about changing our reservations and maybe sneaking over to to Universal and the Lowe's Royal Pacific Resort for a couple of nights. My family LOVES HP, which would be open by then, and DS is a total thrill-seeker when it comes to rides (and he's finally tall enough to ride everything!). We've never been to Universal, so it would be a completely new experience for us.

But I feel like a traitor! We are a totally obsessive Disney family. You should see our pin collection - it's ridiculous!!!

And if I do decide to cheat...what would be better? Spend the weekend at WDW (for Flower & Garden) then go to US, or do US on the weekend and then WDW?

you'll be baaaackk!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter