Thinking about NOT using the Dining Plan - Comments Please

eeyoreland

DIS Veteran
Sorry so long. First post! I'm seriously thinking about not using the dining plan for our trip in December. Twelve year old daughter qualifies as an adult. I believe the plan would cost about $105 per day. Based on our last trip, we spent $78 per day on food. Her and I share a lot of meals. We do a fancy restaurant 2, maybe 3 times. And 1, maybe 2 character meals. Looking for comments/advice. Anyone else not use it and happy with their decision?

P.S. How do I get one of those countdown things on my postings?

eeyoreland said:
Sorry so long. First post! I'm seriously thinking about not using the dining plan for our trip in December. Twelve year old daughter qualifies as an adult. I believe the plan would cost about $105 per day. Based on our last trip, we spent $78 per day on food. Her and I share a lot of meals. We do a fancy restaurant 2, maybe 3 times. And 1, maybe 2 character meals. Looking for comments/advice. Anyone else not use it and happy with their decision?

Look through the menus on allearsnet and think of your best guesses of what you would order if you weren't on the dining plan -- then think about what you would choose if you were (e.g. would you want to take the credits you save by sharing and go to more signature restaurants? Would you order more expensive entrees if there wasn't a price difference?). Then compare the two and see if you think the difference is worth it.

I've only been on the dining plan, and I loved the "luxury" of being able to order anything I wanted. But that doesn't mean that it's the best choice for everyone.

Welcome to the DIS! :cheer2:

How long ago was your last trip? Has your daughter's appetite and food choices changed somewhat?

I'm sure you will be happy without the plan. But I think you would have more fun with the plan IF you enjoy planning and eating at least one table service per night.

I would try to plan your table service meals out and guess at what you might order. Then add tax and tip because both are covered in the plan. Even if you normally wouldn't order a dessert or appetizer or would share one, it is fun to be able to be more adventuresome since the cost is already covered.

It is also fun to pick a snack per day/per person now that there are so many choices.

Sorry don't know how to do the countdowns. There is a technical board and you could probably get help there.

Have a great trip whatever you decide.

eeyoreland said:
I believe the plan would cost about $105 per day. Based on our last trip, we spent $78 per day on food.

I think that says it all. I cannot imagine a scenario under these facts in which the dining plan would be worth it for you, unless on your last trip you only spent $78.00/day on food because that's all you had in your budget, but you really wanted to spend at least $105/day on food.

The dining plan is a great luxury. But you might spend alot more on calories that way. If you like to share and your not into trying alot of new things and appitizers and desserts don't do the plan. But if you want to spoil yourself go for the plan. It is a great time to try new things. You can still share. Just try different things. You may find out you really like something that you wouldn't felt like ordering since you had to pay for it. Only you can decide what's best for you. I'm lucky because I am going to sample in Aug. & sept when it's free. I would have a hard time justifiying the money too! Good Luck and happy eating.

eeyoreland said:
I believe the plan would cost about $105 per day. Based on our last trip, we spent $78 per day on food. Her and I share a lot of meals. We do a fancy restaurant 2, maybe 3 times. And 1, maybe 2 character meals. Looking for comments/advice.
I'm having trouble with your math. Where did you get $105?

Three adults, including DD, would be about $114. You and DD alone would be $76. I can't seem to come up with $105.

Also, when you say $78 -- do you mean $78 including tax and tip? If so, and if it's just the two of you, its a wash with the DDP but you'll eat better. Understand that the $37.99 INCLUDES both tax and tip, so it's really only about $30 per day for food alone. If that $78 is for three "adults" including tax and tip, going without the dining plan would be less expensive.

pedro2112 said:
I think that says it all. I cannot imagine a scenario under these facts in which the dining plan would be worth it for you, unless on your last trip you only spent $78.00/day on food because that's all you had in your budget, but you really wanted to spend at least $105/day on food.

It also depends on how long since eeyoreland's last trip, I think. Prices have gone up and her daughter's appetite and tastes may have matured as well.

Keep in mind that you will be spending at least $90 on each character meal and minimally that at the nicer restaurants so on each of those days if you used either the CS or the snack you would about break even.
It works for us because it pretty closely mirrors our eating habits of a CS for lunch and TS for dinner with a snack thrown in for good measure and because it will be prepaid we will get to choose our own appetizers, meals and desserts. I know when I share a meal it is not always my first choice because of taking another person's tastes into consideration.

I feel like the dinning plan is highway robbery and i'm the robber! :rotfl2: If i did'nt do the DDP i would be eating hamburgers all week. :sad2:

Hi! We seriously debated whether to get the dining plan for our recent trip, mainly because of paying as an adult for our dd10, but ended up trying it and were very glad we did. Our daughter loved it and ended up trying a lot of new things and ordering off the adult menu far more often than we expected. Even with her sometimes ordering off the kids menu, however, and not really "trying" to maximize our value, we ended up coming out way ahead on the plan. And like JimMIA noted, the tip can really add up, so be sure to factor that into your calculations. Good luck with your decision!

BCV23 said:
It also depends on how long since eeyoreland's last trip, I think. Prices have gone up and her daughter's appetite and tastes may have matured as well.

Excellent point. Perhaps it has been a while.

BCV23 said:

Yes that $78 that they spent last trip, did the daughter pay as a child?

If so, she is now an ADULT and will pay ADULT prices so that $78 per day will be higher now even if the appetite has not changed.

eeyoreland said:

:wave2: First off, welcome to the DIS. Second, don't worry that is not a long post! Third, I think in order to help you more we need more information. How many in your party, when did you last go, are you accounting for DD needing to pay adult prices at any family style or buffet meals and if you like nicer restaurants have you figured out sharing the 2 credit meals vs the cost of those on their own as well as the sharing of your other credits to fit more 2 credit TS in?

This will be our 1st year onthe Plan (free too! WOO HOO! :woohoo: ) and I couldnt be more thrilled.

Now - if it were just 2 people, I would completely and totally do it - paying for it. If it were all 4 of us (like it is) I'd have to take some time and think it out. Thing is - we'll be eating places we normally never get a chance to do - every single day!!!

I can squeeze all 4 of us for around $100 / day - but thats eating burgers, pretzels, etc. So, honestly in the future, depending on how much we enjoy trying all these new places out - odds are I'll be doing that plan again, even if I have to pay for it.

Oh, and my ticker can be made at: http://v50.net/cdgenerator.php

eeyoreland said:

And if you spent $78 per day on food (lets round to $80) - this plan would be less: It'd be $76 per day...and you eat like pigs...errr, I mean *Kings!*

Eating places that you couldnt swallow (no pun intended) paying THAT much for one entree, or THAT much for a buffet. Maybe you only did *fancy* a few times cuz you think like I do "It's just food - Im not paying THAT much for FOOD!"

You might end up trying many *fancy* places - and what a joy it will be not to think about the price, when ordering.

I dont know - 2 people? Id totally do it! :3dglasses

The only way to tell if it would really work for you is plan out where and what you would eat without the plan. Use the menus at Allears and don't forget to add in a beverage (not all the menus have drinks listed, make a guess $1.98 - $2.50). For CS add tax; for TS add tax and tip. This give you an estimated bottom line to compare the cost of DDP and OOP expenses.

I actually enjoy the planning part of the trip and did this for our trip in January. We broke even before even adding CS or snacks, so it worked for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter