Thinking of cancelling my Iceland cruise

How did you plan your trip there? One of the parts making me hesitant is how much planning and research I'm going to need to do for a land trip. The cruise is easier. I would like to see Norway. I don't really like that the cruise leaves from Copenhagen and ends in Dover I prefer a cruise to start and end in the same spot. Also there are no direct flights to Copenhagen so it'll add more travel time to the trip.

Same way honestly... we knew when we were going as it is a stopover from spending time with my brother who moved to Leiden years ago. We chose a hotel we liked in an area close to where we wanted to be, and then rented a car. I already knew what I wanted to do - the basic touristy stuff - so we have booked tours the same as we would have with DCL to do them. The rest of the time will be enjoying restaurants which we'll just find on yelp when we know what we'd like to eat, and then drive out on recommended roads to try and see the northern lights.

Although you say you want to keep traveling once you have the baby, certain types of trips will be harder... touring a european nation is one of them. There will be plenty of more kid-friendly travel opportunities especially as your kids get older, but if you want to see Iceland I'd see Iceland. I think that there is the "disney cruise vacation" with ports you find interesting and you're going to be paying a premium for the disney cruise vacation or there is a vacation to see a place. 1-2 days is not enough to really see a place, just get a taste of it. Both good but two different things. It sounds like you know what you want and DCL won't give it to you. Go with your gut.

We're trying for a baby right now so I don't think we'll go back for a while. I'm worried that I'll do the cruise and wish for more time in Iceland.

Book your trip on Icelandair. They let you stay in Iceland for a number of days, they call it "the stopover", with no extra charge. The length you're allowed depends on what class you book. It's ridiculously cheap to get to Europe on Icelandair.

My plan today is to try and price out a land trip to see how much it'll cost. I have been hearing that Iceland is very expensive so that could change things if it ends up being around the same cost.
Keep in mind also that most land-based tours (i.e. bus tours) only include some of your meals. In our experience traveling through Italy, the tour included breakfast most days, but then only about 1/3 of the lunches and dinners. So you will need to factor meals into your budgeting as well.

We did the Iceland cruise last year. We added on 2 days to the beginning of the trip and flew to Iceland first before continuing on to Copenhagen and boarding the ship. In the first two days we did the blue lagoon and drove the south coast as far as vatnajökull glacier. On our two days in port we rented a car and drove the Golden Circle and went horseback riding. Our itinerary didn’t stop in Akureyri. We spent a lot of time driving (easy, but exhausting) and we loved every minute. We got to see so much more of the country with four days versus two. That being said, I could have stayed longer! You have two great options.

We booked an inside room to save money and I don’t regret it. It was pretty cold on deck most of the time and we didn’t spend a whole lot of time in our room anyway.

Just off the 2019 Iceland/Norway cruise, had inside Deck 1 cabin (the prices increases to balcony were similar to what you are seeing on the 2020). Did private tour in Orkney (Orkney Uncovered) and shared a Tours by Locals with another family Day 1 Reykjavik for the Golden Circle and then did Blue Lagoon with DCL. Akurekyi we did Jewels of the North with DCL - LOVED THIS CRUISE! So glad we did it when we did as next year it falls after our school year starts.

So after a lot of talking and research we came up with going to Ireland for a week in October to celebrate our one year. Since we are doing that this year the cruise is still on the table since it's not until next August. I'm going to downgrade the room though from a balcony to an inside so save money.

me again :) waving hi from Dublin, always happy to help anyone planning to visit my country :)
I'd love your help :) You helped me soooo much for my honeymoon trip. I'm looking at spending just one week there, waiting on hubby's schedule at work to figure out which week in October before we start booking. I also want to spend two nights at a castle, trying to figure out how to actually get there if we should rent a car or hire a car. There's so much I want to see.

I'd love your help :) You helped me soooo much for my honeymoon trip. I'm looking at spending just one week there, waiting on hubby's schedule at work to figure out which week in October before we start booking. I also want to spend two nights at a castle, trying to figure out how to actually get there if we should rent a car or hire a car. There's so much I want to see.

awww, thanks, well start a new thread and we can start the planning. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter