Thinking Of Dec Trip.....

smg1062

Mouseketeer
We just went to WDW for Xmas/New Years...first time for 6yr old son. Had a blast. Thinking of DEC 04 trip to Universal parks. Are the parks just as crowded as WDW during holidays? Any tips/advice on which hotel to stay, etc?

Also, how far in advance should we book? We booked WDW 9 months in advance and still didnt get the hotel/room combo we desired......

We also booked our December HRH! We will be arriving on the 23rd and checking out on the 26th. Any advice about park crowds, Christmas activities the hotel may have had, etc would be GREATLY appreciated! Is the park as decked out for the holidays as WDW? Special parades? A night party like MVMCP? I am "all ears"! Thanks!

We are also planning on a 2 nt. stay at maybe HRH for Dec. 23 & 24th 2004, and checking out on Christmas morning on Saturday. I'm confused. Someone said to "Book Early". But someone else said that the best rates, like the Entertainment rates, come out only 2 months in advance.
Would it be best then, to go ahead and book our dates at the Hard Rock Hotel at normal rates? And then keep calling, around the Fall of 2004, to see what the entertainment rates are? We would possibly even consider buying 1 Annual Pass, if it gets us a good rate. Anybody have good advice for us, about how to proceed?
Thank you so VERY MUCH!
Getting good rates and the planning is half the fun!
Pomcoach:Pinkbounc

Christmas and New Years are very busy and crowded, now dates around it, not as much.

I don't know about anybody else, but when we went to Universal the second week in Dec., We practically walked on all the rides, no lines! It was the same way at Disney. Three years ago when we went, no lines at Disney, practically deserted at Universal, but IOA, which was fairly new was a little busier, but still not crazy. The few weeks in Dec before the kids get out of school for Christmas break are the best. You get all the decorations without the crowds. Never needed fast pass or FOL access. This year we are planning a cruise after Christmas (Disney of course) and want to go down early and do a day at US/IOA. (left over day on passes) Planning to stay on site, as we expect it to be crowded. Have a great time!

We're toying with the idea of adding a day or two at Univ at the end of our Disney Christmas trip. When I called Univ about two months ago I was quoted an Ent rate for Dec 2004 at the HRH for $134 and I could now shoot myself for not taking it! My TA was sure the FAN rates would be better so I didn't keep the reservation. :( Now I'm finding Royal Pacific on hotelkingdom.com at $169 for 12/23 thru 1/1/05 so I'm again thinking of adding. I think my boys would really prefer HRH but I doubt I could get that good a rate now.

I've never been to Univ at all but I understand any of the onsite hotels would be good because of the whole front of the line thing rather than Disney's FP. Between the Macy's parade and Grinchmas, Uni sounds like a fun place at Christmas time!

I booked HRH for Dec 19-23 for $144/nt entertainment rate. I booked on 1/10/04.

I agree with Jova. We were there the second week of December and it was fantastic. All the Christmas events were going on but the crowds were nonexistant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter