This got to be a real mess. GC/CC

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
We always woukd out a GC on file at the resort and just charge back to the room and it would come off the GC
Not this time seems they changed this and they no longer hold a GC balance on your account
I’ve questioned the front desk a couple of times and unfortunately got different answers
Most charges I got with the GC
However there are 2 charges that for some reason got charged to both the room account so that used a GC and my CC then they also charged my CC for another charge that the amount charged doesn’t show up on the room charge
The first CM said he could do a charge back to the CC but it can take awhile just hoping he’s right
Then I had another question about something else and another CM said my CC doesn’t get charged until we check out yet I have these charges
Not sure where to go now
I know I can dispute the charges with the bank but they want you to first try and settle it with the merchant which I’m trying to do
I guess I’ll just have to wait and see
Or are there other options
Hope this makes sense
I do have the final print out from Disney where the 3 GC I used do come up to the final amount that was charged so the main issue is how these charges got on my CC especially when one CM said your CC doesn’t get charged until you check out

I replied to your other thread about this the other day.

I believe what you see on the credit card account is "holds" and not actual "charges." A vendor does this to make sure you actually have enough credit or funds to cover the full charge. WDW started doing holds several years ago. See if you can find the other email.

This isn’t a mess, you just need to be patient. It can take up to 10 business days to see a refund. Do not dispute it before that or you could end up in trouble with your bank as they look poorly on invalid disputes.

Your cc is charged in the early morning hours before you check-out. It is pre-authorized before that. If you pay on check-out morning with gc they refund the cc and process the gc’s.

Is it a credit card, or a debit card (with VISA logo)?

The amounts will show, but not actually charge though it does hold the funds as "pending." That is the point of a pre-authorization "hold." The holds eventually drop off; ideally this happens when the final charge is put through but occasionally it lingers. As PP says, you need to be patient and wait for those pre-authorizing hold to drop.

thanks Im trying to be patient but weve had several issues with this trip and Im trying to keep everything straight
as the 2nd CM pointed out the 3 GC I paid the charges with added up to what was charged so Im hoping thats the case-she was the one too that said they dont charge a CC until check out
it was the first CM when I saw the charges on my CC that made the adjustment to take it off the CC and then I used a GC to pay what we owed
and yes the CC was an actual CC with the visa logo
thanks for helping me see this more clearly

Were these interactions with CMs while you were at WDW (at the front desk)? Or after you returned home?

they dont charge a CC until check out
Correct, WDW doesn't actually put through final account charges until early morning of check-out day. Prior to that time, what they submit are "pre-authorizations" or "holds" that essentially HOLD the funds (or credit) awaiting the final amount. Any gift card amounts that you apply at the front desk will reduce the amount of the final charge but may not release the holds.

It's going to take patience (up to 10 business days) to let it all clear. I know that can be frustrating when you want to know it's all straightened out now. If you can put it out of your mind for a few days and then go back to look, it should be ok.

Thanks lady Jane
I did take care of this at the front desk
The night before our full last day so the last day we went to Disney springs on our last full day we didn’t even charge back to the room and just used GC wherever we bought anything
I’m feeling better about this now Thsnks

Is it a credit card, or a debit card (with VISA logo)?

The amounts will show, but not actually charge though it does hold the funds as "pending." That is the point of a pre-authorization "hold." The holds eventually drop off; ideally this happens when the final charge is put through but occasionally it lingers. As PP says, you need to be patient and wait for those pre-authorizing hold to drop.
That is interesting. I know about holds, but my Visa CC never shows them. It only shows actual charges. Anyone else see holds on their account?

That is interesting. I know about holds, but my Visa CC never shows them. It only shows actual charges. Anyone else see holds on their account?
My Visa shows "pending" charges. But depending on the length of the hold, unless you monitor it frequently you may not ever see the hold. Holds typically occur with hotels, car rentals, restaurants (short short hold until they put through the final amount with tip); gas stations do it with debit cards.

mine does show these 2 amounts as pending which the bank says can take 1 to 3 days to go through
now will these stay as pending until the hotel does there thing or will it go through as an actual charge and then the bank will credit it back
next year Ill remember this and still charge back to the room but like every other day pay it off with the GC

My Visa shows "pending" charges. But depending on the length of the hold, unless you monitor it frequently you may not ever see the hold. Holds typically occur with hotels, car rentals, restaurants (short short hold until they put through the final amount with tip); gas stations do it with debit cards.
Interesting. I check my credit card every morning and have never seen that.
Also interesting with debit cards. I rarely use mine, just for cash withdrawals and to pay my mechanic and there is not need for a hold because the money instantly is transferred to the merchant.

Just got back after a really long multi resort stay. I saw every hold that the put on my cc. It’s a Chase card fwiw. This has always been the case for me. The holds all fell off some of them after we were already home. Let the dust settle and it should sort itself out.

mine does show these 2 amounts as pending which the bank says can take 1 to 3 days to go through
now will these stay as pending until the hotel does there thing or will it go through as an actual charge and then the bank will credit it back
next year Ill remember this and still charge back to the room but like every other day pay it off with the GC
Why not just use the gc? That's what we have done for a long time.

Years ago, WDW made a mistake with our bill, and I have rarely used room charging since then.

Whenever we use the gc, we just wrap the most recent receipt around the card to know the current balance. I also have a sharpie on hand to mark the cards when they are empty.

Years ago, WDW made a mistake with our bill, and I have rarely used room charging since then.
Happened to us twice. I won’t use room charging anymore. Both times we used our magicbands to charge the whole trip worth of food, merch, etc. Both times we paid in full at checkout. Both times they sent letter full bill was still due. First time I figured it something was lagging on their end because I could see the charge on my card, so I ignored it and they didn’t bother me again. Second trip they send a new letter and I can see charge on my card and figure again, their system must be lagging somehow so I give it a chance to catch up. Get second letter they sent it to collections! Paid in full both times in the resort lobby :( Not fun wasting the time having to prove I did not skip out. Bad luck? I dunno. Will not give them a chance to do again.

Do they suck at accounting? Did not surprise me when I heard they got in trouble for counting giftcard sales and the purchases made on those cards in their bookkeeping. Double dipping basically, counting the income twice. No wonder their stocks were doing so well in 2018! 🤣 Piles of imaginary money.

I don’t get the whole charge to your room thing. Is it not just as easy to tap your card as it is to tap your mb? Why the middle man step? Just gives more opportunity for problems. I pay everything with our cc or gc directly. Even doing this they make mistakes, during our 2022 trip our card was charged twice for our Ohana meal (for 7 people, each charge was like $500) and it wasn’t resolved til after we got home.

I don’t get the whole charge to your room thing. Is it not just as easy to tap your card as it is to tap your mb? Why the middle man step? Just gives more opportunity for problems. I pay everything with our cc or gc directly. Even doing this they make mistakes, during our 2022 trip our card was charged twice for our Ohana meal (for 7 people, each charge was like $500) and it wasn’t resolved til after we got home.

Well.. I don’t think we’re gonna ever do GC again after last trip. Our first time buying serious amount and lost a $500 card. Yes 100% our own fault. But after that just not worth the risk. Will only buy for DVC dues or paying a trip off in advance. Funny enough Ohana was involved but only because our enjoying a meal there was part of that story.

We liked MBs because they did everything. The whole family could get in/out the parks/room/pool and buy whatever they needed. Nothing else necessary even when we were separated. It was great!

The last few trips we’ve all been using our phones for everything except ID. Much better. Less chance of losing anything or getting double billed.

I charge to my room because it’s easier to keep track of everything on the room folio vs dozens of receipts and helps with budgeting my next trip. (I keep merch receipts in case I have to return stuff and any dining that involved a tip so I can check it was charged right but the water bottles, snacks, food booth stuff gets tossed.)

Thinking about a billing error like a double charge I would much rather that be on a hotel folio than a gift card. That money would be gone from the gift card and un-usable until they processed the refund while the folio would be fixed before I checked out and the money for the double charge would at most be a pending cc charge that would drop off in a few days.

I just checked the CC and one of the 2 pending charges dropped off
the other one is still listed as pending and I know it was for my epcot ticket
which also shows up on the hotel bill
so if I need it I have proof that it was a double bill
one to the hotel and the other to the CC

someone asked about why we just dont use the GC when we buy something instead of using MB
I dont like carrying around a large amounts on a GC and just take a small amount of cash
rest goes in the hotel safe
we already said for next year well charge back to the room but every other day I go with GC to the front desk and pay it off
thanks all with the help in this

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter