This got to be a real mess. GC/CC

...we already said for next year well charge back to the room but every other day I go with GC to the front desk and pay it off..
I feel I need to give you a heads up regarding this now. When you check-in or prior you pay your entire cost of hotel and taxes. Your folio is then credited that amount, however it will only charge 1 night & taxes per day so this results in your folio technically showing a credit until your nights + room charges exceed your total balance paid for the hotel. Sometimes they allowed a payment of those other charges but after being told a few times I couldn't pay anything until the folio was no longer showing a credit I stopped trying and switched to paying at the end or I start paying when my cc starts getting the like $100 at a time pre-auth charges because then the credit on the account has been exceeded.

Recently had an issue where they charged both my and my friends items to my credit card only. We had to go to the front desk and have it sorted the morning of check out. They were very friendly and went through each line item to put back on my CC and then charged my friend's credit card. We decided we won't be charging anything back to the room next time to avoid that.

I'm sorry you are having an issue with this and it can be very stressful. Hope it all gets figured out correctly!

Thanks for the heads up on the charging
We’re though DVC so we never have a nightly charge. The only charges then are we charge to the room. But I’ll keep that in mind
Hopefully tomorrow Thst other charge will come off
Both charges were from 2 different days one after the other. I was hoping that both would have come off today I’ll be sure to watch tomorrow then things will be as they should.

Recently had an issue where they charged both my and my friends items to my credit card only. We had to go to the front desk and have it sorted the morning of check out. They were very friendly and went through each line item to put back on my CC and then charged my friend's credit card. We decided we won't be charging anything back to the room next time to avoid that.

I'm sorry you are having an issue with this and it can be very stressful. Hope it all gets figured out correctly!

If you stop at the desk on your first day they can set up each mb to go to the correct card. My friend and I have always done this since she doesn't use gc and likes using the mb. I have just started using the gc for most things so I don't have to stop at the fd to pay anything off.

we've had disney mess up our billing as well. we were doing charges to the room so they would do a pre-set authorization hold each day of stay and then were supposed to run the actual charges that night/drop the hold/place a new hold for the new calendar day-rinse and repeat. supposed to is the key to what became our problem-they flaked and did holds every day, ran the charges every night but never dropped the hold from the previous days so we ended up with-

mid way through our stay with the front desk telling us our card was declined to find that there was the entire lodging sitting as a hold (o.k.-fine, knew that would happen), the 6 days of actual charges posted (o.k.-fine, knew that would happen) but-there was still the 6 days of holds for each of those individual days. they were never backed out daily like they were supposed to (and they did a daily hold that was MUCH higher than our actual daily expenditures). we knew they would drop off eventually but that would'nt help us in the meantime.

god awful mess b/c the department that handles it is not the people you talk to at the front desk and they are offsite and work different days/hours (read-not on weekends when our mess was discovered).

never did charges to the room after that and always now take an extra emergency credit card.

@Dznypal even if you pay it off each night with gift cards you will still have holds. My husband just got back from OKW, he and his friends golfed and ate at a decent restaurant each day, which was $$$. He stopped by the front desk and paid down the balance each night, but we still had multiple pending charges. It was no big deal because I knew it would all drop off, I just happened to be looking at the credit card website and noticed them.

As for the person asking why not just pay with gift cards - I like having the folio of all the charges to look back on so help plan future trips. Also, I prefer not to carry gift cards worth large amounts around. I know I can transfer the money off them if they're lost using the website, but that requires realizing it is lost first. In the time I don't know it is gone someone could have transferred the money off it already themselves. Plus we are a family of 7, and all of our kids are old enough to be alone for a bit in the parks. So MagicBands make it easy for them to grab a snack without me making sure 7 gift cards are accounted for.

Im happy to say it looks like everything is back to normal with the CC and GC
I checked the CC today and the only thing thats showing up now is the car services
the pending post for disney is not showing up any longer
so happy its over
it was just so confusing when you know you put a GC on the account but then not being told they dont hold the balance like the used to
so to all thanks for the help
next time I wont panic

What my friend & I do is go buy water bottles at the hotel gift shop after setting it up with the front desk and see that they post correctly to the folio before going room charge crazy. There can be a delay in posting to the folio but it’s usually not bad.

Pending is not a charge it is in the end the same as a hold. Pending onky becomes a charge when the merchant closes the so called batch so a pending charge in many cases is the same as the actual charge. In cases like above or where you buy something online where one item may be out of stock the actual charge will be different. A pending charge will release when it becomes an actual charge, when the merchant releases it -this is not immediate it still make take a day or when the pending expires which will vary card by card but in general it is 30 days and may no longer show as pending after X days. On the flip side a pending charge is good for UP to X days a bank can pull the pending at anytime from the second the pending Charge is issued however banks will not pull the authorization (pending charge) for a customer asking. 99% of charges close minutes after the charge but again may take a day or 2 to show as an actual charge. In the end don’t worry about pending for a known transaction until it becomes a charge…. Pending from unknown call as it is most likely fraud. Yes pending does effect your credit card limit so it is something to keep in mind with Disney.

thanks for the great explantion anthony1971
I was just so confused when I saw pending charges on the CC when I had put 1000$ GC on the account
which further confused me when I wasnt told that disney doesnt let you put a GC on the account to charge against
I was thinking I was double billed so now that I know this I wont panic if/when I see charges on the cc
on a related note does disney still charge your CC when you hit a certain amount

This is interesting because I think I have had the same thing happened to me. I just noticed it this week from my January trip. They put through everything on my credit card and on the morning that I checked out they were supposed to have reversed all and charge my gift card. Gift Cards is at zero, but it still seems like I have a high amount on my credit card. Looks like this is gonna be a full day on my next day off trying to do all this accounting.

Actually that’s exactly what happened to us but like others have said I kept watching the CC and sure enough the pending charges disappeared after 2 days.
When we go next year we’ll just charge everything back to the room. Easier then pulling out the GC every time and every other day I’ll go to the front desk and pay off any balance with the GC
Wonder why this changed
Were you told about the change. We weren’t

We were just on a cruise in sept and I just put a GC on the account and any charges were subtracted off.

And I know we always did this at WDW too yet some on here said it’s been years that this was changed we did miss a few years because of Covid but went last year and I know I put a GC on the account and nothing hit the CC. Didn’t even show up as pending

it still seems like I have a high amount on my credit card
Just be aware that mobile orders go directly to the credit card unless you use the gift card at the time of ordering. Mobile orders are not charged back to the resort room account and therefore would not have been reversed when you asked to use the gift card.

The GC were very easy to use for mobile orders
You just click to change to GC
The app doesn’t save the number so you have put it in each time

Right, but my point was in reply to the PP who thought they had too many charges on the credit card. Some may be legitimate charges if they used mobile ordering without entering a gift card. Some folks think the mobile order charges to the resort room account, but it doesn't.

We have used our Disney visa rewards card for mobile order too. Copy the numbers to the notes on your phone and then really quick to copy and paste to the payment screen for mobile order. Same with gift cards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter