Those of you in inclusion school districts/classrooms

SandrainNC

DIS Veteran
Our local Down syndrome association is meeting with the lady over EC for our schools in a few weeks. I have sent my question ahead of time about inclusion classrooms and if that is something they plan on doing. Can you please (if you are in an inclusive school system) PM me just your city, state and school district? So if she asks me "which school districts do this?" I will have some examples? I don't know of any around here (NC) that are fully included districts (with no self-contained classes).

I really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Sandra

Our local Down syndrome association is meeting with the lady over EC for our schools in a few weeks. I have sent my question ahead of time about inclusion classrooms and if that is something they plan on doing. Can you please (if you are in an inclusive school system) PM me just your city, state and school district? So if she asks me "which school districts do this?" I will have some examples? I don't know of any around here (NC) that are fully included districts (with no self-contained classes).

I really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Sandra

Will do!!

My school system does it on a case by case basis as well, as all children are different and have different needs to be met to get an appropriate education. So what if there are 1000's of cases? Do you think they would all just get lumped into a one-size-fits-all education? That does the public school system in general a great disservice.

My school system does it on a case by case basis as well, as all children are different and have different needs to be met to get an appropriate education. So what if there are 1000's of cases? Do you think they would all just get lumped into a one-size-fits-all education? That does the public school system in general a great disservice.

You are totally missing my point. I did not say to lump all in one. I said that for all the ASD children coupled with all the other disabilities there should already be a system in place and not case to case!

Yes, I know all children are different however case by case sounds to vague to me. Like perhaps if the parents have atty's and advocates, in there child's case they will have inclusion? In my district all of the children from last year are now in my sons inclusion class this year. In addition I believe that all children are candidates for inclusion unless proved otherwise. It is the law to have the LRE!

In Alabama, children who are on a regular diploma option who are enrolled in special education must go into inclusion classrooms (or into regular classrooms with accommodations if this is their LRE). This is a by-product of NCLB because our special education teachers in Alabama aren't considered "highly qualified" at the secondary level. In order to be HQ, they'd have to have degrees in any subject area they taught PLUS their special ed degrees. So, we have a subject area teacher and a special ed teacher in each of our inclusion classes.

Students who are on occupational diplomas and certificate degrees are more case by case because their diplomas call for different standards academically; therefore, our special education teachers can teach many of them subject matter and still meet NCLB standards.

A majority of our students, though, are enrolled in inclusion classes.

BTW, I am a subject area teacher in an inclusion classroom. (I've had the same SPED co-teacher for four years now.) It's one of the most satisfying teaching experiences I've ever had. My son is also enrolled in an inclusion math class for the second year in a row. He has made more progress in math the past two years than he has ever made before.

I guess you could call me a believer.

Julie

You are totally missing my point. I did not say to lump all in one. I said that for all the ASD children coupled with all the other disabilities there should already be a system in place and not case to case!

Yes, I know all children are different however case by case sounds to vague to me. Like perhaps if the parents have atty's and advocates, in there child's case they will have inclusion? In my district all of the children from last year are now in my sons inclusion class this year. In addition I believe that all children are candidates for inclusion unless proved otherwise. It is the law to have the LRE!

But a 'system' cannot possibly take into account every one of those 1000's of kids' individual needs - no two situations will be 100% the same, so how can a system work? Are you saying "well, little Jonny has Asperger's, so he belongs in this room with every other kid with Asperger's - oh these have OCD, let's put all of them there." Could you explain how this "system" of yours works?

In my school system, we work with the parents to make sure the students get what they need. We have a huge staff of administrators, teachers, tutors and assistants, we have yearly scheduled meetings with the parents, and parents can ask for more meetings if needed. Progress reports are sent at least twice a quarter, sometimes weekly. Email is used a great deal too.

I can't figure out how else any school system can meet the needs of their students. Inclusion is not for everyone, it's a great place to start, but sometimes it just puts too much stress on a kid.

To the OP - in my school district we have many students in Special Ed who are in "regular" classrooms for all or most of the day (taken out for OT/PT Speech), some who come in for an hour or so for, but also spend some time in the special ed classrooms, and others who are in special ed classrooms for most of the day. It really depends on the student, and the student's needs. No matter what the situation, the student is part of the school community, and every effort is made to make sure the kids socialize and experience everything the school has to offer that they are interested in experiencing.

I just wanted to address the case by case issue. It really does need to be that way if done correctly. I'm very much for inclusion. I believe the vast majority of children with special needs belong in a classroom with typically developing peers. I'm also very unhappy with how my district handles inclusion, but that's a whole other story. However, there also needs to be alternative placements available for children for whom an inclusion classroom wouldn't be an appropriate placement. It should have noting to do with the diagnosis, but with the individual child. Most children on the spectrum should be in an inclusion class, some individuals shouldn't. The same can be said for any other diagnosis. Treat the child, not the diagnosis. That's why they're called individual education plans.

To the OP - in my school district we have many students in Special Ed who are in "regular" classrooms for all or most of the day (taken out for OT/PT Speech), some who come in for an hour or so for, but also spend some time in the special ed classrooms, and others who are in special ed classrooms for most of the day. It really depends on the student, and the student's needs. No matter what the situation, the student is part of the school community, and every effort is made to make sure the kids socialize and experience everything the school has to offer that they are interested in experiencing.

Agreed, my son for example was in regular ed the whole time until this year 4th grade they are in the trailors and decided not to pull out in certain subjects just to make it inclusion. It is working out wonderfully. All the kids that were pulled out last year for math and reading are in this class this year. There is no transitioning to different classrooms the teachers are already in there.
I believe I was miscommunicating the term "case by case".

Thanks everybody!

I think every child needs their own IEP and the IEP should be based on the child. But I also think this could be done in an inclusive environment. Our school district puts children who need a lot of extra help in a SAC (specialized academic curriculum) class. Self contained in other words. Then based on the child, they can be pulled out to attend "specials" with regular classes, like art and music, etc. Not all children are put in the SAC class, but because of my son's need for extra help, that is where he is.

But in an all inclusive environment, children are in a classroom with their peers, they are accomodated individually with what they need extra help in, plus there is a special education teacher along with the regular teacher co-teaching (which is what some of you have). This sounds wonderful to me! My son would still get the individual attention he would need for learning, but would be looked at by his peers as an equal and member of their classroom. Right now he is "that little boy who comes in our music class".

Now don't get me wrong, he is learning a lot in his SAC class. I love his teacher. He is in a study being conducted on new materials to teach reading to children with SNs (and is doing great in it). But how our district is done, if I fought for him to be in a regular classroom, he would be dumped. I was told that there are no aides anymore (unless there is a physical need) and if I fought for one they would not be able to help him with his work because they are not teachers. They would help him go to the bathroom pretty much and keep him from wandering. Also, (and this was when he was entering kindergarten) I was told that the kindergarten teachers share the classroom assistants, so there wouldn't be an assistant full time in the class. So it would have been my son, dumped in a K class with 25 or so children, with no full time assistant. That is why I did not fight for it here. He would not have learned anything. And that is what school is about. I just wish our district would change how things are done so that he can learn plus get the positives from being included in a regular classroom. Maybe we just need to move! :)

Sandra

Thanks everybody!

I think every child needs their own IEP and the IEP should be based on the child. But I also think this could be done in an inclusive environment. Our school district puts children who need a lot of extra help in a SAC (specialized academic curriculum) class. Self contained in other words. Then based on the child, they can be pulled out to attend "specials" with regular classes, like art and music, etc. Not all children are put in the SAC class, but because of my son's need for extra help, that is where he is.

But in an all inclusive environment, children are in a classroom with their peers, they are accomodated individually with what they need extra help in, plus there is a special education teacher along with the regular teacher co-teaching (which is what some of you have). This sounds wonderful to me! My son would still get the individual attention he would need for learning, but would be looked at by his peers as an equal and member of their classroom. Right now he is "that little boy who comes in our music class".

Now don't get me wrong, he is learning a lot in his SAC class. I love his teacher. He is in a study being conducted on new materials to teach reading to children with SNs (and is doing great in it). But how our district is done, if I fought for him to be in a regular classroom, he would be dumped. I was told that there are no aides anymore (unless there is a physical need) and if I fought for one they would not be able to help him with his work because they are not teachers. They would help him go to the bathroom pretty much and keep him from wandering. Also, (and this was when he was entering kindergarten) I was told that the kindergarten teachers share the classroom assistants, so there wouldn't be an assistant full time in the class. So it would have been my son, dumped in a K class with 25 or so children, with no full time assistant. That is why I did not fight for it here. He would not have learned anything. And that is what school is about. I just wish our district would change how things are done so that he can learn plus get the positives from being included in a regular classroom. Maybe we just need to move! :)

Sandra
But inclusion isn't always the least restrictive enviroment for the student. For example, the inclusion classroom, for the deaf student can be isolationing because it is not likely that the sped teacher knows sign language so all communication must go through an interpreter. Also deaf students often need a different approach when learning Language Arts than hearing students since language for them must be visible not sound based. That's why the mainstrained classroom for certain subjects and a self contained class for other subjects with a teacher who knows ASL is often the better option. Which subjects depend on the child and his family situation. That is why case by case is best.
If you feel your son would be better served in an inclusion class then ask for it.

Smithtown, New York

has inclusion classes and self contained classes at the middle school level, self contained only at the the elementary level (they need inclusion and I don't know WHY they don't offer it?
and ?? at the high School level (not there yet)

But inclusion isn't always the least restrictive enviroment for the student. For example, the inclusion classroom, for the deaf student can be isolationing because it is not likely that the sped teacher knows sign language so all communication must go through an interpreter. Also deaf students often need a different approach when learning Language Arts than hearing students since language for them must be visible not sound based. That's why the mainstrained classroom for certain subjects and a self contained class for other subjects with a teacher who knows ASL is often the better option. Which subjects depend on the child and his family situation. That is why case by case is best.
If you feel your son would be better served in an inclusion class then ask for it.

I see what you are trying to say. I guess I think of least restrictive as "least separate" or something. Maybe I am thinking of it wrong.

He wouldn't learn anything in an inclusion class because they do not do it correctly here. That is my problem. They don't do it correctly.

Sandra

Thanks A1tinkfans - I would also think elementary would be the easiest time to include the children, but who knows what they are thinking.

It is always so hard knowing what is best for our kids!

Sandra

Smithtown, New York

has inclusion classes and self contained classes at the middle school level, self contained only at the the elementary level (they need inclusion and I don't know WHY they don't offer it?

I was going to suggest many schools on Long Island (depends on district though).

PM me if you ever need any help with the special ed system- I know someone very very well who was a parent advocate and is a parent of a SN adult who went through the system. She would be more than happy to give advice from both a legal and a "been there done that" place.

Smithtown, New York

Check into that advocate like Forevryoung has offered! It amazing what is offered with an advocate.

It depends on the disibility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter